As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A very big [house] in the country

• Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Before you lawn, check to see if you have to put grass in. If you don't, I recommend considering xeriscaping, especially if the state bonuses are still available.

I hate xeriscaping personally because around here it's mostly aggregate with no plants

We'd be looking at a bunch of native plants and then more in raised beds/boxes. Only real concern with going that route is basically the fear of creating what is simply called a "heat island." As I understand it, if it is done wrong we could end up raising the mean temperature of our backyard and that's no good.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Heat islands are generally darker paved spaces. It'd be hard to do with native plants and gravel or dirt!

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    As I walked to work past many of the xericaped yards sans plants the heat is gross
    I can go outside even though it was a nice day the heat off my the three other houses on this cul de sac the heat is gross

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Oh also our appliances were NOT brand new like we thought and are in fact some number of years old.

The water dispenser on the fridge does not work. No clue why! We don't drink much water, so I don't really care, in theory, but also I want my things to work, ya know?

Also also, the damn dishwasher didn't finish it's first run, and there's an inch or so of water in it. Again, no clue! Guess I get to do the fun part of this home-owning thing sooner rather than later.

Which reminds me. I need a lawn mower.

Woo (legit am so happy though)

Does tge fridges icemaker work? If not, odds are the fridge isn't hooked up to the water. Either because the plumbing is a pain or hard water.

Unclear! It is full of ice but has been since we first looked at the house. And the ice seems like the type that the icemaker would make so, I dunno! And the filter for the system seems to be in normal status, so, again, unclear!

I'll look into it, eventually, when I make time to. Tomorrow the washer and dryer are being installed, then Friday is my new desk, and I'll probably need a lawnmower sooner rather than later.

Might I recommend a goat?

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Oh also our appliances were NOT brand new like we thought and are in fact some number of years old.

The water dispenser on the fridge does not work. No clue why! We don't drink much water, so I don't really care, in theory, but also I want my things to work, ya know?

Also also, the damn dishwasher didn't finish it's first run, and there's an inch or so of water in it. Again, no clue! Guess I get to do the fun part of this home-owning thing sooner rather than later.

Does tge fridges icemaker work? If not, odds are the fridge isn't hooked up to the water. Either because the plumbing is a pain or hard water.

Unclear! It is full of ice but has been since we first looked at the house. And the ice seems like the type that the icemaker would make so, I dunno! And the filter for the system seems to be in normal status, so, again, unclear!

I'll look into it, eventually, when I make time to. Tomorrow the washer and dryer are being installed, then Friday is my new desk, and I'll probably need a lawnmower sooner rather than later.

Might I recommend a goat?

I think if I'm gonna violate the HOA either way, I'd rather just have tall grass.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    Yeah but at least you'd have free eggs.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    I kind of can’t believe it, but our loan’s been approved and that’s basically the last hurdle we had to clear.

We get the keys in a couple weeks and need to hire a designer and do some minor work to finish the place up, we’ve been given a generous gift from our parents to help pay for it as well as investing in some furniture, but we should get the keys in a couple weeks and uh

yeah, we basically own property now.

Damn.

• Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    I kind of can’t believe it, but our loan’s been approved and that’s basically the last hurdle we had to clear.

We get the keys in a couple weeks and need to hire a designer and do some minor work to finish the place up, we’ve been given a generous gift from our parents to help pay for it as well as investing in some furniture, but we should get the keys in a couple weeks and uh

yeah, we basically own property now.

Damn.

rHP9sq4.png

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    AngrySquirrelAngrySquirrel Registered User regular
    Welp, the 16 foot POD with the rest of our stuff gets dropped off tomorrow morning and taken away in the early/mid afternoon. It's going to be a sprint to get it emptied in time, but I really didn't want to have to leave it on the street overnight with anything in it. At least it's mostly boxes and mattresses and random large kids toys that can be moved by a single person, but damn I'm going to be sore when it's all said and done. Dragon has it worse though, she gets to spend all morning helping and then go into work. I get to collapse and hope the kids don't destroy the place.

Live/PSN: IronSquirrel ,, Steam: angrysquirrel
    Battle.net: IronSquirrel#1462
  • Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    I tackled my first solo plumbing project: I finally got tired of the terrible toilet in my bathroom running all the time so I took it apart, replaced all the gaskets and put in a new filll valve and a fancy dual-action flush valve. Everything went together the first time with no leaks so I'm calling it a win.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

S7tde3h.jpg

STARRING
    KWMvy0Ah.jpg
    INDOOR GRAVEL

Xe3u41Sh.jpg
    WHISKEY

mawYsP5h.jpg
    BEAMS

V5k2KbPh.jpg
    WOOD PANELS

TamBSahh.jpg
    MIRRORS ON WALLS AND ROOF

XpQEAnzh.jpg
    PASS THROUGHS...?

3n77y0th.jpg
    IS THAT A WALL PHONE? A TV? AIR CONDITIONING?

NEPX4u4h.jpg
    A FIREPLACE I GUESS

P11X195h.jpg
    ?????

77FvtTwh.jpg
    SURFACES?

7LY7cfUh.jpg
    WHY DID YOU CUT INTO THE WALL FOR THIS

r9NtbTzh.jpg
    LIKE SERIOUSLY

noGtgYfh.jpg
    INDOOR BBQ

a4ligKSh.jpg
    WALL SURFACES

3v9vcdBh.jpg
    THE WALL AND THE GLASS DON'T LINE UP WHY

2squ4aqh.jpg
    DO-IT-YOURSELF STAINED GLASS

2kRAdEXh.jpg
    A STONE... BATH TUB? A PIT?

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    this is what you get when local ordinances are basically "just don't burn down your house" and even then..

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    somebody had a vision

unfortunately that person was in desperate need of glasses

• Options
    You can kind of see the outlines of how it was a normal house before it...metastasized.

Also I'm pretty sure that exterior shot shows some load-bearing windows.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Cool, a real life SCP!

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    I love it.

The price is more insane than the design though.

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    wow when i was looking for a house i had visit like at least 5 different properties to see all these features

talk about a bargain in conveniently locating them all in one building

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    I can't stop looking at this

AG48X3p.jpg

This looks like it was designed to cause roof leaks.

The most 'normal' room in the house is the bathroom with the pink tile and mint-green tub.

• Options
    "handyman specials" are the best houses to visit for a few hours to really get a feel on how to reign in your expectations when buying a house too

"I just want working electricity and water, and walls and a good roof, everything else can be changed, but please give me at least that"

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Someone needs to buy it to ensure that nobody ever lives in it because there is no way that place doesn't kill multiple people

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Reminds me of the house in What Remains of Edith Finch.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    That place is absolutely someone's sex party house

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    I love it.

What's killing me is the zestimate.

Making me rethink what mine is.

• Options
    Kwoaru wrote: »

"now that you're all here, .... you all have tetanus shots right?"

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    It's technically a tree house, since it's attached to a tree.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    the sideways adt sign in the bathroom made me laugh in the middle of my office, so good job nightmare house

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    I love it.

My zestimate is about 50k under what I'm going to list it for so take those things with a grain for salt.

Also Redfin is plugged into an official MLS and has way more accurate data.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Knight_ wrote: »
    the sideways adt sign in the bathroom made me laugh in the middle of my office, so good job nightmare house

In case you couldn't tell, that's a tree growing through the house in that picture.

They paneled it off.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »

I hope they got off on playing Hide & Seek...

• Options

I'm reasonably sure that room was a single car garage at one point

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2019

In case you couldn't tell, that's a tree growing through the house in that picture.

They paneled it off.

oh holy fuck is that what this was

P11X195l.jpg

i thought that was some kind of unholy shower stall

Brolo on
  • Options

They paneled it off.

aahahahha holy crap

• Options
    homeowner: "there's a tree growing here but I want to expand my bathroom, what should I do?"
    also homeowner: "I know I'll build a channel for the tree to grow through my house!"

• Options
    Brolo wrote: »

They paneled it off.

oh holy fuck is that what this was

[im g]https://i.imgur.com/P11X195l.jpg[/img]

i thought that was some kind of unholy shower stall

At least I think so!

• Options
    I love it.

My zestimate is about 50k under what I'm going to list it for so take those things with a grain for salt.

Also Redfin is plugged into an official MLS and has way more accurate data.

Because I'm a crazy person, in my YNAB I track how much I owe on my house and my theoretical house valuation to get an idea of "net worth." I'd been using Zillow's, and it's kinda hilarious how it jumps around. Any given month it'll creep up a couple grand and then periodically just drop by like 30 grand all of a sudden because it got too inflated.

I should move over to Redfin, honestly.

*checks* which is currently 18 grand higher than Zillow, so that's cool.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2019
    My Zillow/Redfin spread is like 10%.

I would take the Zillow price in a heartbeat if someone offered it, which tells me it is wrong (for my market).

a5ehren on
  • Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2019
    House appraisal came back. Somehow it was lower than last time. Not sure how that happened. Houses in our area have been selling for higher than normal. We've added gutters to the house and electricity to the garage since the last appraisal. Maybe because the house was looked at by a different mortgage company/group? Either way it's weird.

Kaplar on
  • Options
    appeal that decision unless it benefits you

some companies just use different metrics, so a second company might be using a different appraisal, but comps are the things that shift values the most so things selling for higher (same style/year) should push it in the direction unless this house is in piss poor shape

even then, houses that are essentially falling down on the inside but look good on the outside still get decent appraisals

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Honestly I really like that house. It needs a lot of TLC and you are certainly going to have to be a do it yourself type, but there is potential there to have a really unique living space.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited July 2019

turns out the dishwasher is on a power switch (between the over-the-sink light and the garbage disposal)! So it works fine, when the switch is on.

Also I bought an electric lawn mower, so I can store it vertically in our relatively small storage space. And it's a bit quieter (though that could just be tech in general in the +20 years since the last time I used a push mower). And it's self-propelled, so that's even better!

Still need a dining room table and a love seat. Probably thrifting for the former, so that we don't have to for the latter.

e: Also I ended up biting the bullet on the Ikea table desk and it's quite nice. And the new 28" monitor fits nicely on it, along side my old 24".

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac