As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Roleplaying Games] Schrodinger's NPC

1141516171820»

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited February 24
    Cybernetic Organism Liaising On New Experimental Lifeforms

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Fuck, that One Ring kickstarter is adding cloth maps to their add on options. There is too much good stuff in that kickstarter.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    JacobkoshElvenshaesullijoMsAnthropy
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Aaand backed

Stupid payday extravagance...

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
    JacobkoshElvenshaeMsAnthropy
  • RingoRingo He/Him Bury me at Lone Tree DenRegistered User regular
    Stuff my players have done in my GURPS campaign;

Helped their amnesiac client find out who his identity, and then immediately murdered him just in case the client's restored memories of being a psychopath would lead him to try to kill them.
    Launched TWO explosives directly at a line of gangsters disguised as cops (they didn't catch on to the ruse until AFTER they killed them all).
    Buying explosive rounds and nerve gas grenades on the black market.
    Defiled a corpse. (Cut off the head and the hands.)
    Defiled a different corpse. (Dissolved it in acid.)
    Cleared a minefield by just shooting one until it exploded.
    Sniped an alligator with explosive rounds.
    Stole an entire secret stash of cocaine worth $350,000.
    Distracted a club bouncer by dancing with some random patron, then accusing him out of nowhere of touching her inappropriately and then knee-striking him.
    Used a nerve gas grenade by pulling the pin while it was still attached to the player's vest in close quarters combat (all of the players were wearing gas-masks and the enemies weren't).
    Helped some prison breakers escape the city by smuggling out of a swamp in a mini-sub.
    Assassinated a delivery van driver by planting a bomb in the back and detonating it while it was driving on the highway.
    Baited a bunch of chupacabras hiding in the depths of an office building into the maintenance tunnel break room with juicy steaks in bear traps, then blowing it all to hell with C4.
    Set up a hidden camera and an audio bug in a brothel.
    Smuggled guns for a construction worker union, who then rioted and murdered corporate security, strike breakers and a few executives.
    Broke into a car and stole the stereo.
    Broke into a jewellery store and stole merchandise.
    Lost $3,000 playing a few hands of floating back room poker.
    Stole a jet black skull statue drenched in still warm human blood, from the scene of a demon summoning, just after running over the demon until it died.
    Murdered an innocent unarmed mutant clone who surrendered peacefully.

Best season of Archer yet?

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    Whelk
  • Grey_ChocolateGrey_Chocolate Registered User regular
    Ringo wrote: »
    Stuff my players have done in my GURPS campaign;

Helped their amnesiac client find out who his identity, and then immediately murdered him just in case the client's restored memories of being a psychopath would lead him to try to kill them.
    Launched TWO explosives directly at a line of gangsters disguised as cops (they didn't catch on to the ruse until AFTER they killed them all).
    Buying explosive rounds and nerve gas grenades on the black market.
    Defiled a corpse. (Cut off the head and the hands.)
    Defiled a different corpse. (Dissolved it in acid.)
    Cleared a minefield by just shooting one until it exploded.
    Sniped an alligator with explosive rounds.
    Stole an entire secret stash of cocaine worth $350,000.
    Distracted a club bouncer by dancing with some random patron, then accusing him out of nowhere of touching her inappropriately and then knee-striking him.
    Used a nerve gas grenade by pulling the pin while it was still attached to the player's vest in close quarters combat (all of the players were wearing gas-masks and the enemies weren't).
    Helped some prison breakers escape the city by smuggling out of a swamp in a mini-sub.
    Assassinated a delivery van driver by planting a bomb in the back and detonating it while it was driving on the highway.
    Baited a bunch of chupacabras hiding in the depths of an office building into the maintenance tunnel break room with juicy steaks in bear traps, then blowing it all to hell with C4.
    Set up a hidden camera and an audio bug in a brothel.
    Smuggled guns for a construction worker union, who then rioted and murdered corporate security, strike breakers and a few executives.
    Broke into a car and stole the stereo.
    Broke into a jewellery store and stole merchandise.
    Lost $3,000 playing a few hands of floating back room poker.
    Stole a jet black skull statue drenched in still warm human blood, from the scene of a demon summoning, just after running over the demon until it died.
    Murdered an innocent unarmed mutant clone who surrendered peacefully.

Best season of Archer yet?

Funny you mention that, as the inspiration for the post was that bit from Episode 1 Season 5, where the ISIS crew confess for immunity and ends on Cyril admits that it sounds kinda bad if you just list everything they did.

Hitting the broken computer does not fix the broken computer. Fixing the broken computer, fixes the broken computer.
    Ringo
  • KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited March 12
    After playing with it in multiple settings for a few months, I feel like GURPS has all the things I want in an RPG. But, it's also extremely fiddly and generic (which is the point) and is a bit too realistic. It also places a lot of prep time on the GM and requires them to keep track of a lot. I also think the magic book really breaks down once you get to the tech level that goes from the 1880s to 1940. Taking a second (a turn) to summon a spell and then another second to cast it just hamstrings it too much compared to a gun. I'm looking for something more cinematic in turns of gameplay but also without the feeling of constraint of character development of something like Savage Worlds. Savage Worlds' characters, similar to Dark Heresy characters, once you reach a high enough level start to look very samey.

I was really thinking of trying out Zweihander but while it looks like a solid system with cool mechanics it also looks kind of constraining in terms of character creation. Also, the other issue is that I am trying to fit a table top roleplaying game system to my Riddle of Flame personal setting which is a victorian tech and historically inspired setting mixed with magitek and dragons and such with DnD-esque features like chi-using monks and such. I also have a future setting in the 1940s equivalent I'm trying to do too set in the same world so I'm already making things hard for myself.

I'm looking for a game system that can bring parity between melee and guns, that has a good amount of mobility in its combat, and has lots of avenues to grow.

I think I could probably engineer GURPS to be more cinematic and closer to what I want. I already started by trying to replace the maneuver system in combat with a more Zweihander-like 3 Action Point system and adding more abilities one could use other than moving and attacking. Also, the second-per-turn thing has to go and now it's more like each turn is a "moment" that varies between 2-5 seconds without allowing 2-5 seconds of GURPS turns to happen at once.

I'm also still working on my world and am now in its 3rd redesign. With pharmacy school I have not had time to really work on it and haven't been inspired lately.

Kadoken on
  • Grey_ChocolateGrey_Chocolate Registered User regular
    Kadoken wrote: »
    I think I could probably engineer GURPS to be more cinematic and closer to what I want. I already started by trying to replace the maneuver system in combat with a more Zweihander-like 3 Action Point system and adding more abilities one could use other than moving and attacking. Also, the second-per-turn thing has to go and now it's more like each turn is a "moment" that varies between 2-5 seconds without allowing 2-5 seconds of GURPS turns to happen at once.

Well, the gold standard for cinematic GURPS is the Action books series. Those books cover a simplified and streamlined take on GURPS mechanics pretty good. In particular, they make combat less granular.

Hitting the broken computer does not fix the broken computer. Fixing the broken computer, fixes the broken computer.
    Ringo
  • KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited March 15
    Kadoken wrote: »

Well, the gold standard for cinematic GURPS is the Action books series. Those books cover a simplified and streamlined take on GURPS mechanics pretty good. In particular, they make combat less granular.

I think I read those books and the issue with them is that they are often overly-filled with words rather than simple instructions on how to do stuff like a lot of GURPS is. Like doing a "slam" in the system is something like an 8 step process (or maybe that's lancing on horseback) that I simplified in my notes but takes them much longer to say.

edit: "Overly-filled with words" isn't quite right, more that it takes the authors of the books a paragraph to say things that could be listed in charts or said in fewer sentences.

Kadoken on