As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Roleplaying Games] Schrodinger's NPC

1232425262729»

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 24
    Just as Break is getting ready to ship I found something else that looks like a good time, this time a solo RPG called Astroprisma. I’m a sucker for stylish presentation, apparently.

Bogart on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Reading through the daggerheart rules and I’m definitely excited to get it to the table. We’ll be wrapping up our DMs homebrew campaign here in the next couple months so i think I’m going to give the starting adventure a go.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    I am running a one shot for our FLGS for Free RPG Day and I usually try to do something unique that people haven't played before, but which is also a product the store can stock (ie not open source or out of print games). I was thinking about Paranoia (specifically the Red Clearance starter set) as I understand that game to be a pretty unique experience. Has anyone here played it before? Any tips for running it as an event?

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    I am running a one shot for our FLGS for Free RPG Day and I usually try to do something unique that people haven't played before, but which is also a product the store can stock (ie not open source or out of print games). I was thinking about Paranoia (specifically the Red Clearance starter set) as I understand that game to be a pretty unique experience. Has anyone here played it before? Any tips for running it as an event?
    The hardest part about Paranoia is setting the tone and capturing the "vibe". Once people figure out the vibe, they usually roll with it quite well. The rules are almost inconsequential (and should probably be broken on a regular basis).

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Sometimes it can help to have a ringer in the group to help accelerate the learning process.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    We're kicking around doing a Mage(Awakening) campaign at a local venue, and it's my first delving into 2nd Edition after looking into the sheets, and yeah... I'm good sticking with first edition. They seemed to add too much stuff into new categories that I think the original condensed just fine.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    In my Paranoia oneshot I assigned the team roles to them in the briefing while insisting to every one that their role was the most important role in the team, then killed half of them in the first 10 minutes in some mishap, dropped in the replacement clones and every player got what this was all going to be about.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I don’t know how far afield you’d want to go, my basic picks would be setting up a cool heist in blades of the dark or a strangery things vibe with kids on bikes? I feel like those would step people away from the “only dnd is real” mindset and vibes while being accessible and available

• Options
    RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    Since I don't know much about the Paranoia setting and neither would my players, I was thinking about using the system and vibe but reskinning it as a Portal game. The Computer would be power-hungry Wheatley and the players would be test subjects. I'd give them each a sealed envelope with instructions and say that all of them but one are loyal test subjects, but one person is an outsider, probably a Black Mesa plant. However every single envelope would inform the players that they, alone, are not the test subject, but are the one and only traitor. Ideas for "secret societies" with different goals are:

-someone loyal to the exiled "true leader" of the facility, whose primary goal is to subvert the mission while ensuring no equipment is damaged.
    -a Black Mesa plant who wants to destroy the whole facility.
    -a Combine Soldier who has much better combat skills but doesn't want to show them off lest everyone figures out that they're not a subject. Their goal is to get as many subjects as possible to go outside so they can join the Combine before it glasses the whole facility.
    -a RED mercenary who knows that one test subject is a dirty rotten BLU traitor and has to expose them without exposing themselves.
    -a BLU mercenary with identical instructions as the RED.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    I've been reading the quickstart rules for Star Trek Adventures: Second Edition, and the major change that I see is that they removed Challenge dice entirely. Apparently, people are up in arms about this, but it seems like a really good change? The fewer dice rolls that you have to use to resolve an action, the faster the flow of everything. You can see granularly how much faster/slower combat and other interactions are if you look at the continuum of Shadowrun (3 Die Rolls Per Combat swing if you hit, plus an initiative roll), DnD (2 Die Rolls per Combat Swing if you hit, plus an initiative roll), and ORE (a single die roll per round for Combat Swings AND Initiative) as it hits the table, or at least, I can, having GM'd all of these systems. I've never had a combat experience run as smooth as when I ran ORE on basically anything, and the number of meaningful dice rolls has a lot to do with it.

I'm liking what I'm reading in the Quickstart. They've reduced Advantages/Complications to a simple "Traits", which is easier nomenclature, and expanded a lot of what Traits can do and how to manipulate them (note: This is stuff that was always in there, but wrapped up in unnecessary language or obfuscation). I've run Star Trek Adventures for many years, and I feel like 2nd edition is big step forward in a good way. All of my favorite Talents are still there (Bold, Cautious, Did The Reading, etc.). I think it will be much harder to build an Unarmed Combat monster that can hit harder than a phaser with their fists (usually one person goes this route in my campaigns), but I haven't seen the rest of the rules.

8i1dt37buh2m.png