Options

[Roleplaying Games] Schrodinger's NPC

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    edited March 24
    Just as Break is getting ready to ship I found something else that looks like a good time, this time a solo RPG called Astroprisma. I’m a sucker for stylish presentation, apparently.

Bogart on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Reading through the daggerheart rules and I’m definitely excited to get it to the table. We’ll be wrapping up our DMs homebrew campaign here in the next couple months so i think I’m going to give the starting adventure a go.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    I am running a one shot for our FLGS for Free RPG Day and I usually try to do something unique that people haven't played before, but which is also a product the store can stock (ie not open source or out of print games). I was thinking about Paranoia (specifically the Red Clearance starter set) as I understand that game to be a pretty unique experience. Has anyone here played it before? Any tips for running it as an event?

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User, Moderator mod
    I am running a one shot for our FLGS for Free RPG Day and I usually try to do something unique that people haven't played before, but which is also a product the store can stock (ie not open source or out of print games). I was thinking about Paranoia (specifically the Red Clearance starter set) as I understand that game to be a pretty unique experience. Has anyone here played it before? Any tips for running it as an event?
    The hardest part about Paranoia is setting the tone and capturing the "vibe". Once people figure out the vibe, they usually roll with it quite well. The rules are almost inconsequential (and should probably be broken on a regular basis).

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Sometimes it can help to have a ringer in the group to help accelerate the learning process.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    We're kicking around doing a Mage(Awakening) campaign at a local venue, and it's my first delving into 2nd Edition after looking into the sheets, and yeah... I'm good sticking with first edition. They seemed to add too much stuff into new categories that I think the original condensed just fine.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    In my Paranoia oneshot I assigned the team roles to them in the briefing while insisting to every one that their role was the most important role in the team, then killed half of them in the first 10 minutes in some mishap, dropped in the replacement clones and every player got what this was all going to be about.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I don’t know how far afield you’d want to go, my basic picks would be setting up a cool heist in blades of the dark or a strangery things vibe with kids on bikes? I feel like those would step people away from the “only dnd is real” mindset and vibes while being accessible and available

• Options
    Since I don't know much about the Paranoia setting and neither would my players, I was thinking about using the system and vibe but reskinning it as a Portal game. The Computer would be power-hungry Wheatley and the players would be test subjects. I'd give them each a sealed envelope with instructions and say that all of them but one are loyal test subjects, but one person is an outsider, probably a Black Mesa plant. However every single envelope would inform the players that they, alone, are not the test subject, but are the one and only traitor. Ideas for "secret societies" with different goals are:

-someone loyal to the exiled "true leader" of the facility, whose primary goal is to subvert the mission while ensuring no equipment is damaged.
    -a Black Mesa plant who wants to destroy the whole facility.
    -a Combine Soldier who has much better combat skills but doesn't want to show them off lest everyone figures out that they're not a subject. Their goal is to get as many subjects as possible to go outside so they can join the Combine before it glasses the whole facility.
    -a RED mercenary who knows that one test subject is a dirty rotten BLU traitor and has to expose them without exposing themselves.
    -a BLU mercenary with identical instructions as the RED.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User, Moderator mod
    I've been reading the quickstart rules for Star Trek Adventures: Second Edition, and the major change that I see is that they removed Challenge dice entirely. Apparently, people are up in arms about this, but it seems like a really good change? The fewer dice rolls that you have to use to resolve an action, the faster the flow of everything. You can see granularly how much faster/slower combat and other interactions are if you look at the continuum of Shadowrun (3 Die Rolls Per Combat swing if you hit, plus an initiative roll), DnD (2 Die Rolls per Combat Swing if you hit, plus an initiative roll), and ORE (a single die roll per round for Combat Swings AND Initiative) as it hits the table, or at least, I can, having GM'd all of these systems. I've never had a combat experience run as smooth as when I ran ORE on basically anything, and the number of meaningful dice rolls has a lot to do with it.

I'm liking what I'm reading in the Quickstart. They've reduced Advantages/Complications to a simple "Traits", which is easier nomenclature, and expanded a lot of what Traits can do and how to manipulate them (note: This is stuff that was always in there, but wrapped up in unnecessary language or obfuscation). I've run Star Trek Adventures for many years, and I feel like 2nd edition is big step forward in a good way. All of my favorite Talents are still there (Bold, Cautious, Did The Reading, etc.). I think it will be much harder to build an Unarmed Combat monster that can hit harder than a phaser with their fists (usually one person goes this route in my campaigns), but I haven't seen the rest of the rules.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Putting the finishing touches on my Portal-noia oneshot. Traitor number 6 is a test subject who is getting instructions broadcast into their head by another personality core (in my last post I mentioned someone loyal to Glados, they are receiving instructions from her in that way as well). Specifically, they have been co-opted by the Space Core and have the secret goal to go to space by any means possible. If I have a full table of 6, I'll endeavor to assign that one to someone suitably creative to figure out ways they can hijack the mission to try to go to space.

Like Paranoia, everyone will have 6 clones to spare in case of death. We'll use the cards from Red Clearance Edition for actions and initiative in combat.

The mission starts with a simple test chamber--get over the pit. The Glados plant has a portal gun so it's trivial for them, but they are the only ones with clearance to use it so they will be punished if they let anyone unauthorized go through the portal. Wheatley informs the group that he got rid of all that useless poison gas that used to be in the bottom of the pits, and instead is killing two birds with one stone by using the pit to store nutrient slurry. Safer and more practical than poison gas. He neglects to inform the group (until after someone falls in) that the nutrient slurry is boiling hot.

After the first test, he tells the group to meet him at Maintenance Elevator 1. They cross some dangerous catwalks and have a tutorial encounter with some turrets. (and another ample opportunity to betray each other). When they find the elevator, it drops as soon as they are in it, killing a clone for anyone who can't figure out a way to survive the fall. At the bottom they are greeted by a bureaucratic test supervisor who informs them they were not authorized to use Maintenance Elevator I. (Maintenance Elevator 1 is down the hall). They have to charm or bluff their way past her to get to the right elevator.

From there they are sent to the surface to repair another elevator (Maintenance Elevator I, Roman numerals this time). Wheatley's wifi network does not reach that far, so they are given a set of range-boosting pylons they need to place down every 100 yards to keep their from being a dead zone. (traitors should seize the opportunity to create dead zones). On the surface, a defunct rocket can be seen in the distance (temptation for the Space Core) as well as the elevator. Climactic encounter with an Antlion while trying to fix the elevator and take it back down (or escape the facility permanently). Roll credits.

• Options
    Grey_ChocolateGrey_Chocolate Registered User regular
    Hey, I have a RPG blog going (mostly GURPS for mechanical system, but it should be accessible for other gamers) that I have managed to put a lot of content on.

Check it out;

https://tabletoprpg333.home.blog/

Hitting the broken computer does not fix the broken computer. Fixing the broken computer, fixes the broken computer.
  • Options
    Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    Has anyone dipped their toes into Cyberpunk RED, and if so, what was your experience with it either as a player or a GM?

I have the core and have rolled up a character just to check it out but I haven’t had the opportunity to run/play it so I was curious

You go in the cage, cage goes in the water, you go in the water. Shark's in the water, our shark.
  • Options
    Has anyone dipped their toes into Cyberpunk RED, and if so, what was your experience with it either as a player or a GM?

I have the core and have rolled up a character just to check it out but I haven’t had the opportunity to run/play it so I was curious

Literally just dipped my toes in it....rolled up characters and played one session. Initial impression as someone new to the setting is that it seemed a mile wide and an inch deep, mechanically (of course the setting itself is both wide and deep). Has the problem a lot of scifi games run into where I wonder why they bother having prices for duct tape at 5 credits a roll, and base guns or vehicles at hundreds of thousands of credits. Of course it makes sense, but it still feels weird to be marking off money in such vastly different quantities. Similarly, it feels like character creation was quite cumbersome for a system that came down to a very simple, perhaps undercooked, core mechanic of rolling a d10 against a target difficulty. We had just finished a short run of Shadowrun when we decided to switch to Cyberpunk, and as a newcomer to both, Cyberpunk felt like a step backwards. Of course YMMV.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular

I have the corebook too, even tried to run it here, had no dice though. It seems a lot more fun and easier to GM than Shadowrun.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options

Literally just dipped my toes in it....rolled up characters and played one session. Initial impression as someone new to the setting is that it seemed a mile wide and an inch deep, mechanically (of course the setting itself is both wide and deep). Has the problem a lot of scifi games run into where I wonder why they bother having prices for duct tape at 5 credits a roll, and base guns or vehicles at hundreds of thousands of credits. Of course it makes sense, but it still feels weird to be marking off money in such vastly different quantities. Similarly, it feels like character creation was quite cumbersome for a system that came down to a very simple, perhaps undercooked, core mechanic of rolling a d10 against a target difficulty. We had just finished a short run of Shadowrun when we decided to switch to Cyberpunk, and as a newcomer to both, Cyberpunk felt like a step backwards. Of course YMMV.

Yeah I think my impression of character creation and the cost-item variation / lack of variety was the same. Being familiar with the setting was a big help though and lended way more forgiveness on my part. Playing Cyberpunk 2077 also helped a ton to at least understand the tone and character of Night City.

I would still love to play in it or run a session for my group just to cut my teeth on it. When the 2070 rules come out eventually I’d love to swim in that pond

You go in the cage, cage goes in the water, you go in the water. Shark's in the water, our shark.
  • Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    I’m hearing a lot of buzz about DC20, which is a D&D 5E alternative rule set made by a YouTuber called The Dungeon Coach. I haven’t followed him in the past, but some of the other YouTubers I follow are hyped for this game. I’ve watched a few videos on it, from the developer and from others, and I think it looks pretty neat, but I’m also a little wary; the timeline for development seems very aggressive, and I’m afraid the end product is going to feel half-baked. I might throw a few dollars at it regardless, because what’s being shown so far has some nice ideas I might crib from even if the sum ends up less than it’s parts.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    The last thing I backed was Into the Mother Lands so I won't be backing any TTRPGs anymore, but I'm also very curious about what has people buzzing with DC20. In a matter of a few days I went from never hearing anything about it to seeing it pop up just about everywhere, mentioned in a way as though of course everyone knows what DC20 means. So it must be doing something right, even if that's just spending enough money on marketing.

• Options
    Did into the Mother Lands not deliver?

• Options
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Did into the Mother Lands not deliver?

Nope. They were supposedly ready to go to their printer, but then that printer pulled out at the last second and said they were no longer doing RPGs at all. They found a new publishing partner, but for some reason it has taken years to get the book ready again. And then someone in the project had some controversy that I don't know much about and was removed from the team, and that set back the book again I guess. Communication was never very good and has gotten worse, they're refusing refunds, and I've mentally written it off as lost money. Maybe it'll come out some day, I don't know. At leat I didn't go in super hard. Just enough for a print copy.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited June 9
    That reminds me the game book some former coworkers did a kickstarter for never actually delivered. Their last update was in February that they no longer had the money to print the books so would just send a pdf copy and were only waiting on final layout of their game.

Since then, In that amount of time I have personally laid out an entire ttrpg from beginning to end that we are doing final approvals on now so I’m not sure how it took them 5 years on this in the first place (besides the obvious Covid gap).

I admit it took me way longer than I expected to do a whole book, but that’s on a scale of 5m vs 3m

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    Yea anymore even when I kickstart something it's for the bare basics reward, like physical books for an RPG, or the final base game for a video game or something. It's gotta be a creator who has a solid track record before I even think about going above the base. Hell even for MCDMs new TTRPG I just backed the basic one even though they have a solid track record of putting out quality product.

• Options
    edited June 9
    The first RPG I've ever preordered was the Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne one, which was the very definition of a must-have for me.

https://lionwingpublishing.com/collections/shin-megami-tensei-iii-nocturne-the-roleplaying-game-tokyo-conception-core-rulebook

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    That reminds me the game book some former coworkers did a kickstarter for never actually delivered. Their last update was in February that they no longer had the money to print the books so would just send a pdf copy and were only waiting on final layout of their game.

Since then, In that amount of time I have personally laid out an entire ttrpg from beginning to end that we are doing final approvals on now so I’m not sure how it took them 5 years on this in the first place (besides the obvious Covid gap).

I admit it took me way longer than I expected to do a whole book, but that’s on a scale of 5m vs 3m

Yeah that's one of the things that had me giving the backer updates a bit of side-eye. I'm a very small indie RPG publisher, but I know enough to know that if you were getting ready to send a book to printers, that book was done. It doesn't take years to get that ready for a different printer. Either the book was never done or they decided to completely rewrite it from the ground up and for some reason are obscuring that (or I'm misremembering, which is very possible since the last update with any substance was a year or two ago).

• Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Denada wrote: »
    The last thing I backed was Into the Mother Lands so I won't be backing any TTRPGs anymore, but I'm also very curious about what has people buzzing with DC20. In a matter of a few days I went from never hearing anything about it to seeing it pop up just about everywhere, mentioned in a way as though of course everyone knows what DC20 means. So it must be doing something right, even if that's just spending enough money on marketing.

Obviously I can only speak to my own feelings on this, I think a lot of alternatives to D20 add too many narrative elements to their basic skill resolutions or other elements of play. Like, if I'm playing FFG's Star Wars system, there are talents that remove ■■, which is just conceptually harder to grok than +2 to your roll. I think Daggerheart looks good, but take a look at the armor/defense system; there's a trade off where wearing heavier armor reduces your defense so you get hit more wearing heavy armor. That's fine. But what isn't is that armor has a limited number of uses in a fight, meaning that longer fights (or more fights between rests) make heavier armor less effective and more of a detriment. As a player you have to think through a lot of scenarios when evaluating your character build to choose between heavier or lighter armor and those aren't immediately apparent. D20 just has a number, and the higher number is better. These are just two examples off the top of my head, but there are so many more. For all its faults it's very easy to understand and evaluate options in D20: bigger numbers are better, and most abilities read like "Use ability A in situation B and C happens."

DC20 keeps all that, even if it remixes things like Armor giving damage reduction instead of Defense (which is their version of AC). It still very straightforward mechanics and systems. And ultimately I do like the simplicity of D20 (even if I'm not a fan of linear dice rolls), so a system that comes in and delivers a similar experience but with slightly more gamified mechanics that highlight class fantasies is very appealing to me.

That being said, I think I'm just going to back at the lowest level; I can always up the pledge later if I really like the material during the beta test.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    HeavyVillainHeavyVillain Registered User regular
    That being said, I think I'm just going to back at the lowest level; I can always up the pledge later if I really like the material during the beta test.

I did the same, pdf only.. But I am real interested in the project.. Seems like a whole lot of other people are too judging by how many backed

• Options
    Yeah I mean I've always loved how easy it is to teach D&D, honestly. You roll a d20, add something to it, and try to meet or beat a target number. That's it. That's the whole game. Yes there are lots of other things that attach to that, but the core mechanic of d20 games is really simple and all those other things can be taught as they come up in play.

Any product that wants to serve as a replacement for 5E needs to be very thoughtful in how they stray from that formula. They do need to stray to some degree, otherwise you get the very reasonable "well why don't I just keep playing 5E" question, but straying too much builds too much of a mental barrier, even if the new mechanics aren't actually that complex. D&D definitely has a "feel" to it and trying to make a new game that has that feel but can still justify its own pricetag is a more difficult proposition than a lot of people think.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    until your brand-new player says "I wanna play a spellcaster" and you just heave a deep sigh

• Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    Cantrips only until they prove themselves.

• Options
    To be fair, that's exactly what I'd say, but I'm a Mage fan, soo...

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    1-in-6 chance only, no classes, final destination.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Denada wrote: »
    Yeah I mean I've always loved how easy it is to teach D&D, honestly. You roll a d20, add something to it, and try to meet or beat a target number. That's it. That's the whole game. Yes there are lots of other things that attach to that, but the core mechanic of d20 games is really simple and all those other things can be taught as they come up in play.

There's a reason the two more popular, historically speaking, games have always been D&D and Call of Cthulhu. One is basically summed up as "GM calls out what to roll, add modifiers, roll d20" and another is basically summed up as "GM calls out what to roll, roll d100". Sure there's a bunch of extra stuff but at the end of the day as long as you have those in hand you can be part of the game.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    I've never actually seen a Call of Cthullu game in the wild

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Ringo wrote: »
    I've never actually seen a Call of Cthullu game in the wild

Or have you, but your mind wasn't equipped to properly process it?

• Options
    I’ve run The Haunting scenario that’s included in the back of every CoC book. My 2 players survived defenestration-by-bed and a Class 2 manifestation of a butcher knife. Granted they spent nearly two+ weeks in the hospital recovering from the first and about a week and a half from the second but it was hilarious to them. The hospital staff were all on a first name basis with them the second time they came in, and after they got out their attitude was very much “fuck this house, we’re going to conquer it”.

• Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    I have run the Haunting several times, and one of my fondest gaming memories is achieving a total party kill (of FOUR investigators!) with that bed.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Just as Break is getting ready to ship I found something else that looks like a good time, this time a solo RPG called Astroprisma. I’m a sucker for stylish presentation, apparently.

I have been on a kick of pledging for every morkborg as a courtesy to other creators, but while doing research on my solo game I also found Astroprisma, and fuck if that isn't a gorgeous Ghost-in-the-Shell-ass game.

No idea if I'll even play it, but I WANT it.

• Options
    It's insane that a debut project from one person just out of university looks more polished and well-designed from shit that companies who've been in the game for decades can manage.

According to Evri's website (about as reliable as a chocolate fireguard) my copy of Break! is arriving today.

pakige

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    It's insane that a debut project from one person just out of university looks more polished and well-designed from shit that companies who've been in the game for decades can manage.

I actually have people telling me that they wouldn't have guessed that my Wasteland Degenerates is a first project, either, but I suppose it helps that I've been paying a real artist.

I think the trick is to give a fuck and not be in it just for cash. People can tell (sometimes) if you're just shoveling mercenary bullshit.

That said, fucking Outgunned: Adventure is built on plagiarism and that made 480,000 euros.

• Options