As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

how does a tyrannosaurus decorate their office in the [job] thread

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Heh. You should get a job with district.

Some position of power but not directly over him.

But something that you can visit the store in. Like an inspector or something.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Heh. You should get a job with district.

Some position of power but not directly over him.

But something that you can visit the store in. Like an inspector or something.

The district AP manager was impressed with me of the two times he visited as he made of the fact I was the only Cap 2 support who had his shit together in his words. As the store's ap did not know why we checked in ammo {city law} That I made sure the person doing High dollar had a tc 70 and if they needed help or a number of other things

When I was "faking it" for a time the district manager and his cadre of followers quizzed me of what I was doing and the over night papers and such as the lead support made fun of the fact most people fail that test. I know my not manager got racked over the coals by both recently in how he was doing things

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    My brother did point out I did what not other person would do in that store as I was accountable for my actions and what I did and would argue of why I did what I did. As he said when he worked there and would over the years he did not see the same mentality in other depts.. Like he saw the chaos of the checkouts and how that manager would not step up for their actions

as a side to that one of the managers would make fun of the fact I seemed be cursed in that I somehow would find some of the worst things in the store accidently and they would be forced to take care of them.
    I was getting a phone card one night after work and the checkout would not activate it for some reason yet I got charged for it 2 times. I have to bring printouts of my bank statement to prove they charged it and other things before I could get my money back

The sad thing is still have some of that money still and it happened about 6 weeks ago

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Brainleech wrote: »
    My brother did point out I did what not other person would do in that store as I was accountable for my actions and what I did and would argue of why I did what I did. As he said when he worked there and would over the years he did not see the same mentality in other depts.. Like he saw the chaos of the checkouts and how that manager would not step up for their actions

as a side to that one of the managers would make fun of the fact I seemed be cursed in that I somehow would find some of the worst things in the store accidently and they would be forced to take care of them.
    I was getting a phone card one night after work and the checkout would not activate it for some reason yet I got charged for it 2 times. I have to bring printouts of my bank statement to prove they charged it and other things before I could get my money back

The sad thing is still have some of that money still and it happened about 6 weeks ago

You should actually call the district and see if you can get a direct oversight job right now over him.

Since you are fresh in everyone's mind, I couldn't hurt

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    Sir PlatypusSir Platypus Registered User regular
    I'm very strongly considering just cutting off my shoulder and rigging up a battery to shock it into a shrug from time to time.

It will absolutely fill multiple managerial roles.

• Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    Obligatory: Right to Work has nothing to do with firing policy. It's about fucking over unions.

At Will is what you're talking about, you can quit anytime or be fired anytime for any reason (except discrimination etc)

That said, firing in retaliation for reporting misconduct is potentially legally actionable.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Skeith wrote: »
    Also teachers are VERY good at coming up with ways of tying in extremely random movies into curriculum.

The district did send out an email last year to remind teachers not to just play Spotify in the background in class since classrooms in public schools are considered public spaces by law and randomly playing songs didn’t have the fair use protection and apparently it was happening a ton all over.

Oh, I know so many educators who break that one.

I break that one all the time.

Yeah, people always say, well they aren't going to find out, which, while possible, ignores that the companies hire many lawyers that just go after copy write breaches to get money. That's their jobs. They got time.

Something to just be aware of.

What exactly is the practical, real situation of this though?

That a corporate lawyer just suddenly bursts into your classroom?

No, the school district would get a letter.

No, I mean, how would they know?

If HBO knows the day I tried to download an episode of Band of Brothers off the internet and send me a cease and desist letter, then you better believe those music places have ways of seeing IPs streaming music and figuring out if they are coming from places. It isn't like school use VPN blockers.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Also teachers are VERY good at coming up with ways of tying in extremely random movies into curriculum.

The district did send out an email last year to remind teachers not to just play Spotify in the background in class since classrooms in public schools are considered public spaces by law and randomly playing songs didn’t have the fair use protection and apparently it was happening a ton all over.

Yeah, people always say, well they aren't going to find out, which, while possible, ignores that the companies hire many lawyers that just go after copy write breaches to get money. That's their jobs. They got time.

If HBO knows the day I tried to download an episode of Band of Brothers off the internet and send me a cease and desist letter, then you better believe those music places have ways of seeing IPs streaming music and figuring out if they are coming from places. It isn't like school use VPN blockers.

You'd have to map IP to school, which they largely haven't done. Even if they did, it would also require your IT people caring enough to track who uses what IP at which time. Given that many teachers will move around during the day and I assume student labs are still a thing, it's a waste of time. Especially since there's a great chance the offender is a minor with no money

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    schuss wrote: »

You'd have to map IP to school, which they largely haven't done. Even if they did, it would also require your IT people caring enough to track who uses what IP at which time. Given that many teachers will move around during the day and I assume student labs are still a thing, it's a waste of time. Especially since there's a great chance the offender is a minor with no money

They don't need to find the specific teacher, just know that it is coming from a school and send the district a C&D.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Yeah some lawyers will work for a percentage of the winnings and uh, even for a right to work state (I live in one so I am familiar somewhat) that seems shady as shit

It's not. The contingency fee system is designed to allow people access to the courts even if they can't afford to pay legal fees. It also serves as a check on frivolous lawsuits, as lawyers will only take cases they are confident in under contingency.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

Pissed off student/parent makes a phone call. Same way a lot of those software piracy in the workplace lawyers get work.

They don't need to find the specific teacher, just know that it is coming from a school and send the district a C&D.

IP tracking would be crazy because you still need to prove it went to a loudspeaker instead of to my ear bud. They're going to need on the ground corroboration one way or the other.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Yeah some lawyers will work for a percentage of the winnings and uh, even for a right to work state (I live in one so I am familiar somewhat) that seems shady as shit

It's not. The contingency fee system is designed to allow people access to the courts even if they can't afford to pay legal fees. It also serves as a check on frivolous lawsuits, as lawyers will only take cases they are confident in under contingency.

he was saying the company was shady not lawyers/contingency tho

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular

Pissed off student/parent makes a phone call. Same way a lot of those software piracy in the workplace lawyers get work.

IP tracking would be crazy because you still need to prove it went to a loudspeaker instead of to my ear bud. They're going to need on the ground corroboration one way or the other.

Agreed. Also, it's a bad look to go after schools, who may or may not have some lawyers with an axe to grind on retainer.
    The point isn't to go to court, it's to enforce rights and collect fees while spending as little as possible.

• Options
    Look, I'm just telling you what I've seen happen.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I really need to find a new job, I guess

This place is so poorly managed and communication is so poor, it is really stressing me out

I took Thursday and Friday off of work

I am not feeling well this morning, but I came in to work anyways

I'm anxious about the mess i will have on Wednesday if I leave early today

And I'm worried about the quality of service to patients being compromised because I'm currently the only person in my role

This isn't sustainable

I've expressed these concerns several times

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular

Yes, while yelling "No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!" obviously.

• Options
    Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    Good morning, job thread. Up at 4:30 this morning and still caught a 4:45 shuttle to airport.

It was nice weather in Anchorage. Visiting the office and even my old space I felt zero nostalgia. It’s a place!

Really nice to be heading home.

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular

Hah, they don't need shit, they just want to send out threatening letters to try and shake down individuals/businesses.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    And it's not about the money either, it's about scaring more people into getting in line. When the RIAA sued a bunch of college kids it sure wasn't cause they were loaded, it was to scare the other college kids.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Feeling accomplished today. Through a series of me digging through thing I found out we had someone trying to brute force attack us with a bunch of unassociated usernames that don't exist for us.

Had the head of IT and Cybersecurity in my office looking at stuff. They seemed impressed I found this. I bet I get 0 credit!

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I've been getting on my commuter train from DC later, usually after happy hour starts.

Pretty sure the air in here is a fire hazard.

• Options
    mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I had way too much burger at lunch and the food coma is hitting hard.

Maybe time for office nap...so tempting...so hard to stay awake...

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    As I mentioned a while back, all lunches/lunch reimbursements were cut except for upper management.

Which is fine; whatever. However, I find it pretty insensitive of upper management to return from lunch and tell my assistant and me about how good it felt to sit in the sun and how great the food was. Like rub it in our faces, why don’tcha.

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Hey @Bucketman, how soon until you're graduated? How willing are you to relocate? Or do you want to travel and train people on a tool?

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    The fact that I don't get a lunch is irritating to say the least

I am allowed to click a button on the time card website and say I didn't get a lunch, and get paid for that time, but this shouldn't be a permanent thing, goddamnit

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I scheduled 4 days off to be with girlfriend, but now i hear my bank account screaming and think i should bump it down to 3.

• Options
    Radiation wrote: »
    Hey @Bucketman, how soon until you're graduated? How willing are you to relocate? Or do you want to travel and train people on a tool?

I am on track to be done by next May. Getting my A+ in August, my CCNA - Cyber Ops in November, and my Security + in the spring next year.

Wife and I already talked about it and were willing to relocate anywhere we can find work. Her masters is in Secondary Education Counseling so anywhere that has colleges she could find work.

• Options

I am allowed to click a button on the time card website and say I didn't get a lunch, and get paid for that time, but this shouldn't be a permanent thing, goddamnit

What state are you in? Because that...doesn't seem legal if you work 8 hour shifts

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Janson wrote: »
    As I mentioned a while back, all lunches/lunch reimbursements were cut except for upper management.

Which is fine; whatever. However, I find it pretty insensitive of upper management to return from lunch and tell my assistant and me about how good it felt to sit in the sun and how great the food was. Like rub it in our faces, why don’tcha.

BOY, I LOVE EATING FOOD

ESPECIALLY FOOD PAID FOR BY THE COMPANY

IT'S SO GREAT, GETTING MY FOOD PAID FOR

YOU SHOULD TRY IT SOMETIME

• Options
    edited June 2019

What state are you in? Because that...doesn't seem legal if you work 8 hour shifts

Pennsylvania

"Employers are not required to provide breaks to employees eighteen (18) and over. PA Dept. of Labor: Wage and Hour FAQs. If an employer chooses to provide a break and it lasts less than twenty (20) minutes, it must be paid. If an employer provides a meal period, it does not need to be paid if the employee does not work during the meal period and it lasts more than twenty (20) minutes. Pennsylvania Code 231.1"

https://www.employmentlawhandbook.com/wage-and-hour-laws/state-wage-and-hour-laws/pennsylvania/#2

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular

I am on track to be done by next May. Getting my A+ in August, my CCNA - Cyber Ops in November, and my Security + in the spring next year.

Wife and I already talked about it and were willing to relocate anywhere we can find work. Her masters is in Secondary Education Counseling so anywhere that has colleges she could find work.

Could you switch around the CCNA and Sec+?

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    My day was 100% meetings and lab reorganization. I'm trying to think of a better way to get zero downtime while not actually feeling like you've achieved a damn thing, and I'm coming up fairly short.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular

Pennsylvania

"Employers are not required to provide breaks to employees eighteen (18) and over. PA Dept. of Labor: Wage and Hour FAQs. If an employer chooses to provide a break and it lasts less than twenty (20) minutes, it must be paid. If an employer provides a meal period, it does not need to be paid if the employee does not work during the meal period and it lasts more than twenty (20) minutes. Pennsylvania Code 231.1"

https://www.employmentlawhandbook.com/wage-and-hour-laws/state-wage-and-hour-laws/pennsylvania/#2

That really sucks. Even Oklahoma requires a half hour lunch break for an 8-hour shift, and we're Oklahoma.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    So in follow up to my bitching about being called in to help on my vacation yesterday...

Turns out that despite the last minute warning, the hour of time I spent translated to the university being able to properly open and plan their FY2020 books today, and I got multiple emails of thanks for going above and beyond and keeping the university from crashing and burning today.

So.. that was probably at least 5 figures I just saved the university, if not more. So that feels good.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options

Could you switch around the CCNA and Sec+?

Oh sure, none of this is set in stone, just kind of going from easiest to hardest

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    So in follow up to my bitching about being called in to help on my vacation yesterday...

Turns out that despite the last minute warning, the hour of time I spent translated to the university being able to properly open and plan their FY2020 books today, and I got multiple emails of thanks for going above and beyond and keeping the university from crashing and burning today.

So.. that was probably at least 5 figures I just saved the university, if not more. So that feels good.

Oddly relevant timing

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Let me guess: you're salaried, and don't get overtime.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Let me guess: you're salaried, and don't get overtime.

Yup. Anyone who might be on call 24/7 for emergencies is salaried. We're looking into ways to offset these things, but my goal is to minimize overnight work as much as possible.. hence getting on the people who neglected to tell us about this emergency a couple weeks ago. :)

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    JimBobtheMonkeyJimBobtheMonkey Registered User regular
    Hey @timspork's ghost, if you are still looking for a good backpack, I'd recommend the one I've had for a few years (and that Scott Kurtz once told me was very attractive at the San Antonio airport).

61aonPKmipL._SX425_.jpg

The Ibagbar Canvas Backpack

"This bag can used as duffle/handbag/suitcase/brief case when travelling. Two durable straps are in a hidden compartment to make this bag a backpack/rucksack/satchel. A detachable shoulder strap can easily turn the backpack into a messenger bag/crossbody bag/mail bag/shoulder bag. One bag offers at least three different ways of carrying. "

I added this bag to my wishlist after seeing this post. Today I got a notification it was a lighting deal for $26 so I went ahead and jumped on it.

• Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    Kadith wrote: »
    Athenor wrote: »

Oddly relevant timing

As someone who saves money for a living, I

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
This discussion has been closed.