As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

how does a tyrannosaurus decorate their office in the [job] thread

• Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    Tonkka wrote: »
    Being back at work on Saturdays is nice. Not as many people on the light rail and I can tear through the queues without the threat of the phone ringing. The only drawback is that if l get stuck on a ticket, it's just me.

My old helpdesk job I always looked forward to the two Saturdays a year we were open and I’d always work them myself. It was always dead and I’d just read and play Dwarf Fortress.

I’m here tonight because I’m waiting for our car to be serviced while family has pool time. Dealership provided fresh cookies, coffee. It’s a 90 minute vacation.

For me, the Saturday is when I can actually get some shit done. I normally get around 40 tickets done a day when I also have to answer phones. We had a bunch of people out in other offices for the weekend, so the queues were heavy today. I managed to knock out 84 tickets before the day was done.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Oh and the professor gave me her card and said that if I ever needed a recommendation to put her down. She also revealed that if I had asked I could taken this remotely from home, it's what every other person not living on campus did, but I never knew that was an option!

And of course the exam had a question asking us the steps of higher order thinking skills from lowest top highest. I filled all five blanks with "This was not the purpose of this class and was not on our text nor listed as curriculum on the syllabus"

That'll teach her to not put a character limit.

Better not use that recommendation!

What the fuck is her focus on higher order of thinking jesus christ, she should teach a 100 course about it or something.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    "Higher order thinking" is bullshit said by people who have learned basic critical thinking skills and want to convince themselves they're smarter than everyone else on earth because they know not to click phishing links.

• Options
    3clipse wrote: »
    "Higher order thinking" is bullshit said by people who have learned basic critical thinking skills and want to convince themselves they're smarter than everyone else on earth because they know not to click phishing links.

I bet they still click them too.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Nah I get it's a legit way of teaching critical thinning of topics...but this is a masters level course on Risk Management for IT and security professionals. This focus doesn't belong here

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    I fell way behind in the last thread due to being busy and work and preparing for a multiweek vacation in Japan. I'm a few days in to what is my first real vacation in a about 3 years. So far (not that I see my opinion changing) Japan is amazing and such a wonderful departure from my usual work and daily life. It's going to be really tough getting back into the mindset of my job again when I get home.

Is this what it feels like to travel somewhere and realize you would much rather live and work there instead? Or at least make coming back a regular thing by getting a better job at home that would allow me to do that.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Cormac wrote: »
    I fell way behind in the last thread due to being busy and work and preparing for a multiweek vacation in Japan. I'm a few days in to what is my first real vacation in a about 3 years. So far (not that I see my opinion changing) Japan is amazing and such a wonderful departure from my usual work and daily life. It's going to be really tough getting back into the mindset of my job again when I get home.

Is this what it feels like to travel somewhere and realize you would much rather live and work there instead? Or at least make coming back a regular thing by getting a better job at home that would allow me to do that.

There’s definitely a bit of “grass is always greener” to see through, but I fucked off from home 5 years ago and I ain’t going back, soooooo

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    That seems like an entirely understandable reaction for someone who hasn't had a vacation in 3 years.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Also hello from Japan as well, Cormac! The wife and I are spending a few days in Tokyo before going to a wedding in the Philippines.

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    The thread title reminded me:

Wasn’t someone on this forum developing a game called Velociraptor Job Interview Simulator Pro?

What ever happened to that?

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Joolander wrote: »
    The thread title reminded me:

Wasn’t someone on this forum developing a game called Velociraptor Job Interview Simulator Pro?

What ever happened to that?

@LaCabra , it's not on your dev blog?
    https://joewintergreendev.tumblr.com/
    I seem to remember InFlux being pretty neat at PAX, but I've been pretty hopeless at picking up any games at all for the past years.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »
    Cormac wrote: »

There’s definitely a bit of “grass is always greener” to see through, but I fucked off from home 5 years ago and I ain’t going back, soooooo

Oh, for sure. A big part of the reason I wanted to visit Japan was because of how completely different it is from America. I cant overlook my love of anime, manga, video games, and the subsequent interest in Japanese culture that goes along with it.

I'm in Tokyo for four days, Hakone for three, Kanazawa for three, and Kyoto for five days. It's part of a tour group but there's still blocks of free time for us to explore on our own.

For example today we went to the Meji Shrine, had lunch at a restaurant run by retired sumo wrestlers who served us chankonabe, were given a presentation about sumo wrestling and a live demonstration, stopped by the Ryogoku Kokugikan to see some of the festivities going on outside (one of the major tournaments is going on right now), back at the hotel we had a talk with people from a non-profit organization helping hikikomori reintegrate themselves into jobs and society, took a walk around the area of Shinjuku we're in, stopped at a bar got thoroughly buzzed and ate lots of different small dishes, and then continued on for dinner at a local restaurant. It's still early tonight but I'm still a bit jet lagged and nearly drunk to go explore more of Shinjuku on my own tonight.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Guess who has been on nights for 60 days of near straight twelves, and just found out that the last piece of equipment we had to install was ordered wrong and we have nearly another week of maintenance shutdown to add on!

It’s me! Life is hell! Fuck!

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Oh no two job threads

I can't handle this much job

That's the gig thread economy, alright.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Don't wrap your grandma's bleeding arm in a bunch of plastic grocery bags and then have her walk around without even putting any pressure on it. Jesus Christ you see the dumbest people working at the front desk.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    And this was just at Panda Express, right, Stiggy?

• Options
    edited May 2019
    Nah I get it's a legit way of teaching critical thinning of topics...but this is a masters level course on Risk Management for IT and security professionals. This focus doesn't belong here

I feel like... if you've made it to university or college you're probably already using critical thinking to some degree though? I guess not for some undergrad degrees but this is masters/phd level right?

I literally missed that last part because I am a dumbie.

bowen on
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

I feel like... if you've made it to university or college you're probably already using critical thinking to some degree though? I guess not for some undergrad degrees but this is masters/phd level right?

I literally missed that last part because I am a dumbie.

Maybe if you used your higher order thinking skills bowen

I think Bucketman can recommend a course for that

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    So I received finally new people {yay}. Also got a new support so I no longer have to work a nasty 7 days in a row
    But the rumor of they want me to step down and replaced with people they can control popped up again I still make fun of it saying I am still the same idiot who accepted it after the horrible summer from last year {there was a parade of 8 people with me filling in when it was needed last year. My not manager and Co really dislike me because I don't dance to their tune

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Oh no two job threads

I can't handle this much job

It's just a minor side-effect of SAP Go-Live Day 38467.
    After consulting literally no one, the new policy is to have an indeterminate amount of job threads.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    It is that time of year where the school building feels really weird since one whole grade is not in it anymore.

Still not going to be as weird as when they build the two new high schools in a year or two. Our current building is at 122% overcapacity. We will drop by 700-800 students once the new places open. The school will feel like a ghost town then. Assuming I don't go to one of the new ones.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    I pushed a firmware update that kind of sort of broke a couple laptops in our network. It was an approved firmware update from the manufacturer though, I followed change management and everything was signed off on, so it wasn't a big deal - we just get them repaired under our fancy support coverage

I held on to one to see if the vendor could provide me a fix that didn't involve replacing the whole motherboard, in case the issue happens again. So I'm troubleshooting via email. In the first couple messages, I explained how I deployed the firmware, I specifically said what version we were at and what version we were upgrading to when the laptops stopped working. It's key to the entire exchange!
    The email I received from the distance tech told me the fix is to update to the very same firmware that broke the computers, and provided me a link. :?

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Was going out to eat with a coworker because nights is supposed to be slow tonight and I wanted food before everything nice closes.

Coworker was driving.

Coworker fucked up at paying attention at the shift updage meeting for his area earlier and gets a call asking where the hell he is because they're doing startup stuff he was told about.

We have to turn around and drive twenty minutes back and leave the restaurant, cancelling the order we put in.

Now it's gonna be too late to go back to that restaurant when I get back to the office so I probably have to get fast food again.

I am very mad.

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Mother's Day in the restaurant industry is pretty crazy; when you're the new guy, it feels like hazing or some sort of initiation into a fraternity.

Nearly 600 people in the space of seven hours, noon to three was the big rush.

We ran out of our most popular appetizer, bacon wrapped shrimp, at 12:30. Twas a very hectic thirty minutes, I tell you what. My head chef hung his head with shame because he didn't check to see if we had enough for the rush. The look on my face was very simply, "You had one fucking job, Chef."

Then, we ran out of coconut shrimp.

We were also running low on gumbo and clam chowder when I left at 5:30.

Chef gave me a nickname after I was putting some utensils up on a set of shelves and hooks; one didn't quite catch the hook properly and it fell, knocked over another, which knocked over another, which knocked over another ... just a gigantic snowball effect.

I am now 'Avalanche.'

I kinda like this place.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    I meant to come in earlier and remind you all that if you take your moms out for brunch today, be sure you tip extra. Hopefully you were all suitably kind to your waitstaff.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    My mother just wanted pizza which was cool

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I took my mom to watch Endgame.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    I've been doing more walking since I transferred downtown and holy shit it's only been a month and 3 cars have tried to hit me and others crossing the street

gonna start walking with a javelin

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    I have heard that while drivers don't give a fuck about pedestrians, they do care about their paint job. Carry some sharp metal out in front of you, and they'll (maybe) give you a wide berth.

Maybe.

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    I have never gone out to dinner on any special occasion day

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    My mom was like, "Hey let's watch these movies, they're supposed to go together, right?" and pulls up Split and Glass on the DVR thing. I've had worse Mother's Days, and I've for sure had better ones, too.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Once upon a time, a woman drove by her house, staring at me as I stared at her house.

After she backed into her driveway, I ran up to her car and informed her that her trees were on fire and that i had already called the fire department

Edit: fun part was telling boss I'm reporting a fire and making the company look boss

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Shaving is mandatory in this class. While the teachers don't care if one of the military administrators sees they'll make you.

I forgot to shave this morning. But I leave at lunch for an appointment. So my goal is to just hide in our classroom for three hours until I leave at lunch.

*guzzles coffee*

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    I was given two duck eggs at work today.

Thank you, director!

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Liiya wrote: »

Thank you, director!

aaaa the baby ducks will think you're their mum!

make sure to take photos!

broken image link
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    i

fucking

love

duck eggs

i'm envious

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Coworker I am not going to snitch on you to the leadership. But you made a bad decision for which there were a fucktom other options, and we were told from beginning that our phones were low jacked.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Liiya wrote: »

Thank you, director!

aaaa the baby ducks will think you're their mum!

make sure to take photos!

I think you are going to be very disappointed at the end result here.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Mother's Day in the restaurant industry is pretty crazy; when you're the new guy, it feels like hazing or some sort of initiation into a fraternity.

Nearly 600 people in the space of seven hours, noon to three was the big rush.

We ran out of our most popular appetizer, bacon wrapped shrimp, at 12:30. Twas a very hectic thirty minutes, I tell you what. My head chef hung his head with shame because he didn't check to see if we had enough for the rush. The look on my face was very simply, "You had one fucking job, Chef."

Then, we ran out of coconut shrimp.

We were also running low on gumbo and clam chowder when I left at 5:30.

Chef gave me a nickname after I was putting some utensils up on a set of shelves and hooks; one didn't quite catch the hook properly and it fell, knocked over another, which knocked over another, which knocked over another ... just a gigantic snowball effect.

I am now 'Avalanche.'

I kinda like this place.

I've heard that mother's day brunch is really the make or break day for if you're cut out to be in a kitchen.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I probably should not be in the office today. Last week I worked in the office Thursday and got so hammered with other people's work that I think I got maybe one hour of my own shit done. I then (thankfully) worked from home Friday.

I'm still foul from how thoughtless my coworkers were of my time and I'm just waiting for a few more "favors" to be asked of me. I'm hoping if I put ear buds in maybe they'll get the hint not to poke the bear today.

This discussion has been closed.