Options

detective pikachu: mr. mime is a fucking snitch (open spoilers, so bewear)

Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache lifeRegistered User regular
edited May 2019 in Social Entropy++
and
i'm glad he's dead

let's talk about this very good pokemon movie!!

6vjsgrerts6r.png

Rorshach Kringle on

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Give me a movie about the Very Tired Pangoro at the beginning

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    it exuded tired parent energy

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    I went to see this with my mom!

it was enjoyable!

I also got a lot of pleasure out of seeing parents with their kids, and them being as excited to see it, because they grew up when Pokemon was The Thing

we got a like, booster pack of Pokemon cards that I haven't checked out yet, but I heard the guy in line behind us exclaim like a little kid to his wife "we're gonna get Pokemon cards!"

also as soon as my mom peeped a Bulbasaur she grabbed my arm, hard, and whispered "I must have one"

Depressperado on
  • Options
    Yeah we got those too! Nicely enough we all got a different extra card (I think they're all detective Pikachu + one additional pokemon from the film)

I got Psyduck!

• Options
    bulbasaur is the best.

that's just a fact.

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I didn't realize that they were different cards, I ended up with Jigglypuff

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    for real though, what cruel god brings me into being not on the Pokemon Earth

I wanna be the very best

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    bulbasaur is the best.

that's just a fact.

Yeah there were Squirtles and Charmanders all around Ryme City, but the Bulbasaurs waited to be plot-related.

• Options
    CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    This movies ending out anime-as-fuck'ed the ending of Matrix Revolutions. Every few minutes my brain had to snap out the very wierd experience which was unfolding in front of me.

We got Bill Nighy to say Mewto ya'll. Humanity is over good job pack it all in!

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Needed more Growlithe imo

• Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    Cristoval wrote: »
    This movies ending out anime-as-fuck'ed the ending of Matrix Revolutions. Every few minutes my brain had to snap out the very wierd experience which was unfolding in front of me.

The ending plot is just a version of the Human Instrumentality Project

I talked about this movie a lot with @Speed Racer and we couldn't help but want a movie that's just about a lone Pokemon with no partner in Ryme city, working a job, living the Poke night life.

Also I said it in the movie thread but
    I really love how Ditto was used, just how fucking creepy it looked in it's human form.

As Ms. Norman was a nice joke and has great style I will steal.

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    My favorite little bit was
    the food cart where the chef had a Charmander who was keeping the wok hot with his tail

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Cristoval wrote: »

This movie got Bill Nighy to get super into Pokémon, so yeah!

• Options
    the most admirable pokemon was
    the octillery running its own food cart

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    The toterra scene was intense.

The kids enjoyed it a lot, despite it being quite scary at times. They found Ratatouille and The Incredibles 2 too scary, for reference. Before we entered the movie theater another kid approached them and started talking about their favourite Pokémon; it was really cute to see.

How they went to the theater:
    2019-05-11%2017.37.27.jpg

(It’s a bit hard to see but that’s a Detective Pikachu that Niko is holding).

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Do we need spoiler tags in this thread?

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I loved how fully committed to its bullshit this movie was. I honestly want to live in Ryme City, it's my new #1 fictional place I'd want to go to

Also I was sat next to like five mega-bros who I was worried were going to be assholes but they seemed to be reacting to the whole movie with genuine delight

• Options
    Veldrin wrote: »
    Do we need spoiler tags in this thread?

nah let's just keep it open

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    I also loved the Cubone opening scene

• Options
    i was telling @grey ghost this, but i had a group of like twenty young teens all dressed up in like team rocket shirts or pikachu dresses who were cheering at everything in the movie, which ruled

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    i also gotta say i was very happy at how unsettling realistic machamp and gengar were

they made gengar creepy as fuck

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Janson wrote: »

Cubone's furious little head turn when Tim comments on it wearing its dead parent's skull was hilarious

• Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    i also gotta say i was very happy at how unsettling realistic machamp and gengar were

they made gengar creepy as fuck

Same thing with Charizard's eyes, those were the eyes of a lizard that had tasted blood and wanted to kill

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »
    Janson wrote: »

Cubone's furious little head turn when Tim comments on it wearing its dead parent's skull was hilarious

And the reveal of how tiny it actual was delightful.

• Options
    The toterra idea was really cool but the actual action scene kind of bored me.

2ohWien.png
  • Options
    I had never actually thought about Treeckos being modeled after Geckos so the one just stuck to the glass, asleep in Harry's apartment building was MINDBLOWING

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Ahahahahaha holy shit

The VFX director did an interview and there were 2 really great tidbits about working with The Pokemon Company

1) The Lickitung scene was right at the edge of what they were okay with and even then, they were not fans at all
    2) The VFX asked for more details about Mr. Mime, specifically what he is and what his body would be made out of and the like. The official response was "We don't know" and the Pokemon Company tried to get them to not use Mr. Mime because of how potentially off-putting he would be.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    As soon as Mewtwo said ‘your father has-‘ the kids yelled out ‘HE’S INSIDE PIKACHU!’ Which showed they were both surprised but had also easily followed/grasped the storyline.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Im glad even they regret him

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    what impressed me most about the whole thing was just how well they set it up so that you want to believe in bill nighy

a city where pokemon battling is illegal is hell of a big idea to just slip in the backdrop/world building

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    As a person who knows very little about Pokemon, is this a movie I would want to watch?

• Options
    Ms Dapper wrote: »
    The toterra idea was really cool but the actual action scene kind of bored me.

I think what I liked about it is that it showed how destructive and scary giant animals/monsters would be which is not always something that is properly captured in movies about giant monsters

• Options
    it's got lots of weird monsters so probably

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    edited May 2019
    I just adore the idea of a company as restrictive and controlling over every detail of their brand as TPC being asked for additional detail on Mr. Mime, so the movie could be as faithful as possible, and responding with "FUCK MAN, WE DON'T KNOW WHERE HE CAME FROM WHY DO YOU WANT TO USE THAT CREEP"

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    There were several times where I just sat back and appreciated how hard it must’ve been for Justice Smith to act some of those scenes, and what a great job he did

He also mimes well!

• Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    The giant toterra just kinda waking up for the action scene and then oh no nvm, back to sleep I guess was the only thing that bugged me in the movie.

I was really looking forward to some apocalyptic shit, giant turtle mountains marching on cities or something.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    ph blake wrote: »
    The giant toterra just kinda waking up for the action scene and then oh no nvm, back to sleep I guess was the only thing that bugged me in the movie.

I was really looking forward to some apocalyptic shit, giant turtle mountains marching on cities or something.

I was okay with it cause we see the smaller ones do a similar thing when Tim taps on the glass. I liked the idea of Psyduck's huge psychic attack just being them tapping on the glass.

It's more that the action scene was a bit too long and a lot of the same action beats.

2ohWien.png
  • Options
    ph blake wrote: »

That’s why I liked that scene

Imagine how much energy they need to even move a tiny bit, anyway

• Options
    it felt kinda like poking any resting animal. they'd get up to look, but they are gonna go right back to sleep. they ain't moving unless they have to.

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I'm listening to Blank Check right now and they have the screenwriters on as guests, and they're talking about their long back and forths with The Pokemon Company, who not only signed off on story elements but also gave notes on like, behavioral stuff for specific species

Like "oh Squirtle wouldn't do that"
    and Dave Sims goes "wait what won't Squirtle do???"
    and Dan Hernandez just says "oh they don't strategize" and then gives no further context on what version of the script would've involved Squirtles strategizing