Options

[MTG] Throne of Eldraine spoiler season is upon us!

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    twistedreflection.jpg

Now that's just a very cool design

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    twistedreflection.jpg

Now that's just a very cool design

and also solid limited removal!

also dope art that kinda reminds of Languish a bit

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Interesting comparison with Agony Warp in that it's not better, or worse, but kind of does a lot of similar things.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I like that it's such a smooth combination of color pie effects. Separately those are two mono-blue effects; put together on the same creature they're black.

• Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Huh. Just did some googling and reveille is the wake up bugle in military (and is French for "wake up"), while vespers is the sunset evening prayer (also a Latin/French term meaning "evensong"), so that's pretty neat.

• Options
    tributemage.jpg
    Eventually they'll run out of T-words that can mean "thingy"

Oooh, Thingy Mage - fetch an artifact with CMC 0.

• Options
    Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    A CMC 2 ONE, YESSSSSSSSSSSSS

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Pretty sure that sword they're holding has a CMC of 3. Immersion: broken.

• Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Nah, I think it's on point, if it's a Sword of the Meek

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    That is tots sword of the meek.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Nah, I think it's on point, if it's a Sword of the Meek

Ah, cool. I was just making a joke about it looking like a big fancy sword, which as we know tend to cost 3. And frankly, I always look at the art for Sword of the Meek and get distracted by the flame effects and start perceiving it as a phoenix or some such.

• Options
    Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    I just realized there's exactly 5 slots open that could be lands. Aaaand the 1-mana cycling lands fit in there perfectly. I guess it makes sense, with Astral Drift being in the set.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    I just realized there's exactly 5 slots open that could be lands. Aaaand the 1-mana cycling lands fit in there perfectly. I guess it makes sense, with Astral Drift being in the set.

Or enemy snow tap duals (like Boreal Shelf).

I'd rather see the cycling lands personally but if they want snow to be a thing in limited it might need additional land support.

• Options
    edited May 2019
    I'd rather see a new cycle, even just enemy snow lands, but the fact the cycle lands fit in there so perfectly has me thinking they're it.

EDIT: YOOO CARRION FEEDER!

EDIT2: And seemingly a Markov Manor pun.

Dr. Flamingo on
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Echo of Eons is basically just going to be Timetwister for any deck that actually wants to play it.

Edit: like, Modern decks are going to just pitch it with Faithless Looting or whatever, and in Legacy you can pop LED and then Timetwister. Card is as busted as ever.

Edit 2: Have a preview card from MaRo:

jgeis on
  • Options
    Hogaak is a cool design but I wish you got a little more for the effort of casting him than a Force of Nature. Even just giving him lifelink or something would make a big difference.

• Options
    BoomerAang SquadBoomerAang Squad Registered User regular
    Hogaak is a cool design but I wish you got a little more for the effort of casting him than a Force of Nature. Even just giving him lifelink or something would make a big difference.

Being able to cast it from the graveyard seems good enough.

• Options
    tectonicreformation.jpg
    I don't really know how burn decks in modern play out, but this is a handy bit of flood protection.

• Options
    That's not just flood protection. If there's a Slide deck in modern, that card is very good in it.

• Options
    What about a Sligh'd deck?

• Options
    Doesn't help against this type of flood:

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    One if my best land clumps on arena, I had 2 of the fliers that surveil 1, so was dumping 2 lands into GY per turn to them.

Still drew land for 4 turns straight for a 12 total clump

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    lol I like how 3 of the cycling lands have new art but Forgotten Cave and Lonely Sandbar are the same. I'm glad I can pick up some foils for my Gitrog Monster deck.

• Options
    hallofheliodsgenerosity1.jpg
    I don't care how generous you are, Heliod, you're still a jerkwad

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Pretty sure that artist/art director agrees with you

• Options
    hallofheliodsgenerosity1.jpg
    I don't care how generous you are, Heliod, you're still a jerkwad

Also, that flavor text.

248.jpg?1517813031

• Options
    They should pare down this one

219.jpg?1517813031

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    lol I like how 3 of the cycling lands have new art but Forgotten Cave and Lonely Sandbar are the same.

The new art from Noah Bradley debuted with Goblins vs. Merfolk and has shown up in a couple of Commander products since then.

Image.ashx?multiverseid=41140&type=carden_brqDvpRov0.png

Image.ashx?multiverseid=41138&type=carden_ExxVTdmBDk.png

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    I'm playing in a Vintage Cube league on MTGO and I just had a match where my opponent decided to punt the game so hard I almost couldn't believe it. They had accelerated out a Scarab God on turn 2 thanks to Black Lotus, I had a Polukranos on my turn 3 (I went first in this game). On their turn 4 the board is:

Opponent (at 10 life): 4 lands, Scarab God

Me (10 life): Incubator Druid, Polukranos, Llanowar Elves, Garruk Wildspeaker (4 counters), 4 land

They attack into Garruk, which I block with Llanowar Elves. They then cast Armageddon.

Maybe they genuinely did not have any way to win in hand anyway, but leaving your opponent with a creature that can trade with your single creature and also leaving them with a PW that generates dudes with a significant body is a bad idea.

• Options
    As a cube veteran, I am curious what deck wants to play Scarab God and Armageddon.

• Options
    edited May 2019
    Oh so it's completing a cycle, that makes sense... apparently the Noah Bradley Forgotten Cave dates all the way to Commander 2014, though

Dr. Flamingo on
  • Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    Also this is a dumb combo that works:

267.jpg?1517813031

There's no way this gets there, right

Like it is 100% the kind of dumb Timmy bullshit I live for, but there's just no way

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    I mean, it literally gets there, but the consistency is just not there

• Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    I mean, it literally gets there, but the consistency is just not there

I agree, and yet I foresee myself digging for it with Stirrings anyway

(I am not good at Magic you guys)

There's zero chance Enlightened Tutor shows up in this set, right?

uH3IcEi.png
This discussion has been closed.