As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFXIV] PATCH DAY! Mark ya spoilers!

• Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    Miqo'te
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    I've only done the Dark Knight starter quest but I liked it a lot

There are a LOT of jobs I want to try out but I want to level to 80 first so I get those EXP boosts

I've got Red Mage, Machinist and Dark Knight at the top of my list

Gunbreaker SEEMS very cool but also I hear it is complicated and I am scared of tanking in general

I leveled every class to 70 in SB and am planning on doing the same in ShB. I didn't rush, and worked to properly learn each class during the leveling up phase and how to be competent at max level as well. It was enjoyable and impressive in how every class felt distinct. There were a couple that didn't flow as well as others, but the diverse and enjoyable class design in this game is a really strong selling point from my experience

Tanks are pretty easy once you get past the anxiety of being the person who sets the pace. A couple of things I've found that help. At the start of a dungeon, if it is my first time I'll say something like "first time, hints are appreciated". If I'm learning a tank class for the first time, I'll make sure to start at the lowest level I can queue and work my way upwards. I'll also say "new tank, still learning, advice is appreciated" at the start of the dungeon.

There's a graphic about how to be a good tank, but basic message is in group content to keep the enemies clumped up and attacking you. Try to keep them from moving around too much. Use a defensive cooldown when you are taking a lot of damage. For non-boss enemies, if you have 4+ targets that means you want to have something running most of the time to reduce damage taken.

On boss fights, the first time through hit a cooldown whenever the boss uses a castbar ability and pay attention to which one still takes a big chunk of HP off you and no one else.

You'd be surprised how much playing a DPS or a healer actually makes you a good tank. Think of all the things that tanks do that you like and what you don't like and adjust based on that. The nice thing about being a tank, is that most things are not real threats to you so long as you don't do a massive pull. If you are interested in trying to do larger pulls, just mention it to the healer/group ahead of time to see if they are comfortable "going to try some larger pulls, any objections?". If you fail, own up and apologize then move on. People are generally chill.

Last week, while leveling my gunbreaker I did a couple of pulls too large to handle (and group dps was too low to kill them fast enough). Part of the problem was that I was a bit undergeared for the dungeon. I pretty much said as much and admitted to be still feeling out how durable the class was while learning it. People were pretty forgiving, I just made sure to tone it back. This is after wiping the group because I pulled too many enemies and making everyone have to run back.

TLDR, for tanking be open about inexperience and just get out there and do it. You'll probably do just fine.

• Options
    simulacrumsimulacrum She/herRegistered User regular
    Viera

There are a LOT of jobs I want to try out but I want to level to 80 first so I get those EXP boosts

Gunbreaker SEEMS very cool but also I hear it is complicated and I am scared of tanking in general

Make sure you're reading the drk journal entries when you get back to it

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular

Tanking is pretty easy now

Turn on eminty generation button if you are main tank

Point mobs away from friends

When the boss is using big hitting moves use your button that gives you temporary resistance

The Dark Knight story line is some good shit as well

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular

Note that you get the +100% XP boost as long as you're lower level than your highest level class.

Tanking seems pretty easy in this game, so as long as you're comfortable with complicated rotations I wouldn't shy away from GNB.

I want to see the DRK story but I also want to level a healer, and none of them start at 60. So I'm leveling AST and I think I'm going to jump onto GNB at 60 when the MSQ requires queues because waiting for those as BRD sucks.

• Options
    BilliardballBilliardball Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Lalafell
    If you're anxious about tanking, the squadron Command Missions are a useful way to get your feet wet without any pressure.

Billiardball on
    Switch: SW-7948-4390-2014 / 3DS: 0688-5244-6057 / FF14: Salus Claro
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Miqo'te
    GNB definitely has the most buttony rotation of the tank jobs

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    Au'Ra
    GNB def is a bit more complex than the other tanks, but it feels so good. Once you unlock continuation doing the ammo combo is just a bunch of fun.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    Miqo'te
    I find Continuation annoying in the same way I found the old version of Dark Arts annoying, it's be better if the cartridge combo was one button instead of 3, like a PvP combo button, so I could just rock between 2 hotkeys for Continuation instead of 1-4-2-4-3-4.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    admanb wrote: »

Note that you get the +100% XP boost as long as you're lower level than your highest level class.
    Yeah, what I did when leveling all classes in parallel (the first time) was that I had them all at level n, I'd take PLD and chain-run Duty Finder instances until I was level n+1 on that, then the XP bonus is activated on every class that was still back at level n, I took them up to level n+1 one at a time, then repeat.

Now, if they actually applied a better XP bonus if you hit max level cap first, then I'd have done what I did when leveling all classes the second time, which is get DNC to 80 and finish the story then go back and work on leveling the rest up but get continually distracted by Triple Triad.

• Options
    Leveling that way sounds like one of my actual nightmares and I admire your ability to do so.

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Miqo'te
    GNB definitely has the most buttony rotation of the tank jobs

I play DRG as my main DPS, so swapping over to GNB when I need to tank for a group feels a lot like home.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Au'Ra
    As for the new voice cast post HW, overall I think its an improvement

The only one I like less is Alphinaud

Everyone else feels like they went from super hammy community theater british accents and ye olde acting to a lot more grounded takes

Which is less fun sometimes but makes for a better experience overall, I think

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    Miqo'te
    The VA direction improved substantially. The ARR stuff had decent voices, just not so great direction. In some of their discussions around the ShB workflow, they reveal how far out they have to do the recording and fixing of any VA scene in multiple languages for an international release of the content and it is quite the logistics and workflow problem to properly manage. They've gotten a lot better at it, but it's a situation that means we shouldn't expect 100% voicing of scenes any time soon.

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    I vaguely remember liking Merlwyb's original voice better, but can't really recall at the moment.

• Options
    Au'Ra
    Lars wrote: »
    I vaguely remember liking Merlwyb's original voice better, but can't really recall at the moment.
    She had one of the better ARR voices, definitely, but I didn't mind the new one for the one scene she has had so far

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    Hyur
    after the first couple cutscenes I changed to japanese va, I dunno how yall do it

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    Au'Ra
    Being able to understand characters and the specifics and nuances of their performances helps me connect with them a lot

Which isn't to say I can't connect with a subtitled piece of media, I've loved plenty, but it is easier for me if its in English and ease matters a lot when I'm gonna be playing for like 100-150 hours

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Mysst wrote: »
    after the first couple cutscenes I changed to japanese va, I dunno how yall do it

I switched to Japanese early in ARR and then back to English in 2.x, when it starts to get better. By HS I won’t go back.

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    Hyur
    admanb wrote: »
    Mysst wrote: »

I switched to Japanese early in ARR and then back to English in 2.x, when it starts to get better. By HS I won’t go back.

I switched it back to english for SHB but then
    the jester girls in eulmore noped me back out

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    I find Continuation annoying in the same way I found the old version of Dark Arts annoying, it's be better if the cartridge combo was one button instead of 3, like a PvP combo button, so I could just rock between 2 hotkeys for Continuation instead of 1-4-2-4-3-4.

You 100% CAN put that entire combo with Continuation on 1 button. With macro's.
    /micon "Gnashing Fang
    /ac "continuation"
    /ac "Wicked Talon"
    /ac "Savage Claw"
    /ac "Gnashing Fang"

(only other thing you can really do this with is MNK)

bobAkirafett on
    akirasig.jpg
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Miqo'te
    Muggins wrote: »
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    We're getting a Shadowbringers panel at PAX West: https://west.paxsite.com/schedule/panel/creating-final-fantasy-xiv-shadowbringers-narrative-and-visual-insights
    The newly released third expansion for FINAL FANTASY XIV, Shadowbringers, introduced players to a whole new world─quite literally─as they ventured through the most compelling chapter in the MMO’s story yet. Join main scenario writer Natsuko Ishikawa and art team lead Takeo Suzuki as they look back at how the unforgettable setting and narrative of Shadowbringers came to be. No Warrior of Darkness will want to miss this glimpse behind the scenes, but those who have not yet taken up the mantle of shadow be warned: spoilers abound!

This is the first time I've felt very upset about not going this year

What's the policy on recording panels? Because I kinda hope someone gets this and puts it on youtube later.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    Au'Ra
    Got up to the end of the Dravanian Forelands tonight, stopping just before the dungeon cause the queue was too long and I need to go to bed.

What a neat little zone!
    I liked meeting the Chocobo hunters and seeing where the hell Chocobos are actually from, and the little arc about the fledgling hunter finding a partner was cute.

Also really dig the new bugfolks beast tribe who are all newly independent and self-aware as individuals. The two bickering over what food is good because they are slowly realizing they taste things differently was a really clever bit of writing.

As for the big main plot beats
    was NOT expecting Ysale to bust out Shiva again and have a Primal v. Primal showdown. Even if she got her ass beat that was cool as hell. And the establishing of some primals as a kind of super powered transformation that people can undergo, repeatedly, and retain at least some of their sense of self and agency is a reeeeeeeeal interesting wrinkle

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Au'Ra
    Got up to the end of the Dravanian Forelands tonight, stopping just before the dungeon cause the queue was too long and I need to go to bed.

What a neat little zone!
    I liked meeting the Chocobo hunters and seeing where the hell Chocobos are actually from, and the little arc about the fledgling hunter finding a partner was cute.

Also really dig the new bugfolks beast tribe who are all newly independent and self-aware as individuals. The two bickering over what food is good because they are slowly realizing they taste things differently was a really clever bit of writing.

was NOT expecting Ysale to bust out Shiva again and have a Primal v. Primal showdown. Even if she got her ass beat that was cool as hell. And the establishing of some primals as a kind of super powered transformation that people can undergo, repeatedly, and retain at least some of their sense of self and agency is a reeeeeeeeal interesting wrinkle

Yeah this is around where they establish more specific rulesets regarding primals.
    such as if you accept a primal summon into yourself as a transformation, you still retain your free will as for most practical purposes you are the primal.

There are some abilities you don't get that a normal primal would though, such as the ability to temper people. That's why Ysale hasn't like, instantly tempered Alphinaud and Estinien by now.

• Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Miqo'te

What a neat little zone!

ARR spoiler but relevant to Blanks spoiler
    We already knew about the multiple transformations as of ARR. The Shiva extreme quest is specifically about Ysaile repeating the transformation.

• Options
    Argh blargh jumping puzzle.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Hyur
    Donnicton wrote: »

What a neat little zone!

Yeah this is around where they establish more specific rulesets regarding primals.
    such as if you accept a primal summon into yourself as a transformation, you still retain your free will as for most practical purposes you are the primal.

There are some abilities you don't get that a normal primal would though, such as the ability to temper people. That's why Ysale hasn't like, instantly tempered Alphinaud and Estinien by now.
    That's not the rule being used. Normally people would still be lost to the primal. And I'm pretty sure it's just that Ysale didn't ever try to temper anyone and never fought anyone with it who wasn't immune.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Lalafell
    Polaritie wrote: »

What a neat little zone!

That's not the rule being used. Normally people would still be lost to the primal. And I'm pretty sure it's just that Ysale didn't ever try to temper anyone and never fought anyone with it who wasn't immune.

Yeah (Stormblood spoilers)
    the thing is that Ysayle has the Echo and so isn’t tempered by her own summon. And because of that, she doesn’t feel the desire to temper, because that’s terrible.

As a counter example, we have Tsukuyomi, who was summoned into a host who doesn’t have the echo. The summon changed her physically, and everyone who doesn’t have the Echo flees the room, presumably to avoid the risk of tempering.

• Options
    Au'Ra

What a neat little zone!

Ysayle had the Echo upon reading up again so she's immune to begin with anyway, but... "later example" let's call it for the sake of the quote tree very much did not and still retained their own mind even after the fight.

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    Enlong wrote: »

What a neat little zone!

Yeah (Stormblood spoilers)
    the thing is that Ysayle has the Echo and so isn’t tempered by her own summon. And because of that, she doesn’t feel the desire to temper, because that’s terrible.

As a counter example, we have Tsukuyomi, who was summoned into a host who doesn’t have the echo. The summon changed her physically, and everyone who doesn’t have the Echo flees the room, presumably to avoid the risk of tempering.

Well or, (more Stormblood stuff)
    because an angry psychopath just got demi god powers and is about to start a fight with the WoL.

We dont actually know one way or another if Yotsoyu could change back or temper people, cause she dies right after.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Au'Ra
    turtleant wrote: »
    because an angry psychopath just got demi god powers and is about to start a fight with the WoL.

We dont actually know one way or another if Yotsoyu could change back or temper people, cause she dies right after.

Gonna clear out the quote chain for this because it's getting way past the original content being discussed about where Blank is in the game.

End-Heavensward
    Thordan also does the same thing, and does not have the Echo either. He retains his cognizance at least for the brief time he's still alive after the fight.

Also when I think about it the knights were transforming into their Round forms in the monastery duty well before Thordan makes his grand transformation reveal which I guess means Thordan was well and capable of transforming for some time now? It's not super clear, but if so it means he's been cognizant this entire time without being a rampaging thrall to his own power.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    R-demR-dem Registered User regular
    Miqo'te
    Me, logging in this morning:
    "Oh, cool, Moonfire Faire, gonna have to check that out when it starts up in August."
    "Huh, is that thunder? Why did I never notice thunder sound effects?"
    ".....when the hell did it become August already?"

• Options
    This is as far as I got on Night 1.

There's just way too many people climbing right now, they're blocking the view of the planks.

• Options
    edited August 2019
    Lalafell
    Live letter today had some interesting stuff in it.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/400887-Letter-from-the-Producer-LIVE-Part-LIII-Update-Thread

A few notes:

They want to make Ninja less clunky and give them more personal DPS, but may scale back Trick Attack for balance.

No plans to adjust AST cards further right now.

They plan to let you take Trusts into future MSQ dungeons, starting with 5.1

They're streamlining the Realm Reborn MSQ as part of the work on implementing the NG+, currently planned for 5.2

They're discussing making Eureka easier to solo, but no concrete plans.

They're also apparently planning big changes to Desynthesis:
    Will be making large changes to Disciples of the Hand and Land-related systems in 5.1. Desynthesis rates will be changed to be 100% guaranteed, no need to level up skills. Desynthesis will be something used when you have a surplus of something. That’s the plan we have in mind. I’ll provide more details on this when we’ve solidified the details.

Billiardball on
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Lalafell
    Fuckin’ yes to easy desynth.

Best sell your Tinker’s Calm while you still can.

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Miqo'te
    Q45:
    As a gatherer, it's frustrating when monsters appear near gathering nodes, especially in the Rak'tika Greatwood where Sweet Marjoram would appear. Would adjustments be possible?

A45:
    We’ll be making fundamental changes to stealth in patch 5.1, including being ignored even while mounted. Please look forward to future updates!

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Hrothgar
    turtleant wrote: »
    The SCH job quests just turn into Tonberry time pretty early on.

Which isn't the best for fleshing out the job fantasy but at least they're a pretty good story.

As apposed to say, the HW PLD quests that are so bad and full of confusing lore/rules they just decided to pretend we're gladiators again in SB.

Level 80 PLD quest
    In this xpac too. Dont even talk about PLD stuff, just hanging with the gladiators again.

That spoiler is...disappointing.
    I want to find and wield the cool sword!

• Options
    Miqo'te
    SabreMau wrote: »
    Argh blargh jumping puzzle.

speaking of this, are there any jumping puzzles of the Kugane type in Shadobobados? I haven't seen any and I hunger for that good bad jumping puzzle content.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    I don't think so.

Maybe Stormblood was just the like 2 years the WoL got really into parkour?

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Lalafell
    Also this:
    Q70:
    I'm looking forward to the alliance raid coming in Patch 5.1 and I'm curious to see what kind of gear we'll be able to get. Also, would there be any chance that we'll see weapons as a reward? I don't mind it being purely for glamour, but I want that katana shown in the art!

A70:
    Actually, I happened to check the models for the rewards today. I provided some feedback, but they were very well-made. We made the decision to make the costumes wearable by both genders, so please look forward to it! A katana weapon would be limited to certain jobs only, so we haven’t planned for them at the moment, but we may consider it if highly requested. I think we’ll have a guest with us for the 5.1 Letter LIVE to talk about YoRHa, so please look forward to it!

I wonder who that guest could possibly be!

• Options
    ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    Me

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
This discussion has been closed.