As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFXIV] PATCH DAY! Mark ya spoilers!

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Au'Ra
    I feel like casters got the short end of the stick where those appearances are concerned.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Au'Ra
    Finished up the initial MSQ for Heavensward

Liked that climax a lot
    I had been guessing that the Heaven's Ward were gonna end up being the Knights of the Round at some point, nice to see that play out in an appropriately rad fashion

Then the first post-credits scene hit

Fuckin

WHAT
    There is a fuckin evil counterpart to the WoL now and he looks like the dude from the cinematic trailers AND he's on the goddamn moon????

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    The one thing I dislike about that final 3.0 fight is
    itemlevel sync tunes it to be way too easy. Sure, it's not Cape Westwind, but random groups are capable of taking him down to 0.1% before he can even start the scripted event part of the fight.

• Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    I’m fine with that boss
    being kind of a chump. Despite the expansion name he’s not the real boss, or even a major villain. He’s just another summon hopped up on crystal juice and too full of himself, fighting the guy who literally spends his life killing summons or doing menial tasks to prepare for killing summons.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    Zay wrote: »

Is there a /vomit or /retch emote handy?

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Miqo'te
    don't doteshame

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    R-demR-dem Registered User regular
    Miqo'te
    In less dotey news, it turns out that the final boss of Keeper of the Lake is very difficult to successfully tank when your healer is drunk and eventually disconnects.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Lalafell
    Badablack wrote: »
    I’m fine with that boss
    being kind of a chump. Despite the expansion name he’s not the real boss, or even a major villain. He’s just another summon hopped up on crystal juice and too full of himself, fighting the guy who literally spends his life killing summons or doing menial tasks to prepare for killing summons.
    he is kind of a major villain, in that the established leaders, on the Ishgardian and Dravanian sides, are going to perpetuate this war forever unless they’re removed and something new is put in their place.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Hrothgar
    SabreMau wrote: »
    They just posted a reminder that these collaboration items will be no longer available once Patch 5.1 gets here.

https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/9f5bfb8b683f7effd92178a67b97c59a7d1d9fb0/
    You can keep them if you earned/bought them, but you won't be able to earn/buy them any more.

If only they weren't PVP. These are amazing.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Lalafell
    There’s a version of them available for MGP in the saucer.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Hyur
    Enlong wrote: »
    There’s a version of them available for MGP in the saucer.

There are three advantages to the PvP sets:
    1) Dyes
    2) The mechapegasi mounts (require titles from pvp sets)
    3) Repurchasable at salvager (even after 5.1)

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    Also if you only want one weapon or whatever (say, the invisible PLD shield) you can get enough marks with like 3 frontlines.

Which, I highly recommend getting at least that shield because there is no guarantee they will add a replacement invisible shield option when those go away.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Hrothgar
    Ok yeah probably gonna do some PVP then....

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Note that unlike the weapons and armor, the shield is not repurchasable from the Calamity Salvager (unless they've changed it). So don't delete it if you get it. I don't think the accessories are repurchasable either.

• Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    Miqo'te
    Bucketman wrote: »

Doing the daily PVP roulette isn't that bad. The XP was decent and the PVP system is very much team/skill based and less gear-based curb stomping like WoW's PVP system. I did all of these back in Stormblood and ended up enjoying myself. Also, for the titles remember that you only need to purchase the visible left side gear not the full right side + belt.

• Options
    Miqo'te
    the invisible shield is also on the MGP trader in the saucer, and since it's invisible and not rebuyable from the salvager either way you might as well skip PvP and just buy the MGP version.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    If you buy it 2 months ago it was 30% off during make it rain as well

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    Hrothgar
    the invisible shield is also on the MGP trader in the saucer, and since it's invisible and not rebuyable from the salvager either way you might as well skip PvP and just buy the MGP version.

But I want to be a gold and also white power ranger with my paladin and dragoon! Also then I have to grind MGP that I don't have. May as well get XP from PVP

• Options
    Miqo'te
    fair enough, I dunno how much time you have to get wolf marks before the next major patch removes the sets though so probably prioritize which bits you want

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    honestly the only annoying part of pvp is sitting in queue, you get 1500-2000 from your first queue of the day so you can easily just do a daily queue and get everything you could want fairly quickly

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    I thought I was too late for Garou stuff so I am super knocking that out this weekend!

Transporter on
  • Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    Caedwyr wrote: »

Doing the daily PVP roulette isn't that bad. The XP was decent and the PVP system is very much team/skill based and less gear-based curb stomping like WoW's PVP system. I did all of these back in Stormblood and ended up enjoying myself. Also, for the titles remember that you only need to purchase the visible left side gear not the full right side + belt.
    I suppose, but having to do WoW PvP for the MoP cloak quests put me off doing MMO PvP so strongly that even the scent of PvP is enough to drive me away from trying this whole thing.

• Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    Hyur
    My biggest obstacle to doing PvP is knowing that some of my teammates and opponents might actually give a shit about PvP. Like, I'm not competitive at all any more. I have been in the past, but that shit's exhausting in the long run, and I don't need that stress in my recreation. But I still get that a lot of people enjoy having focused teammates and challenging opponents, and I don't want to pee in their swimming pool.

If I could sign up for like... "PvP: Low stress chill hangout edition" I absolutely would, even if it was a reduced reward. Especially if it was a reduced reward, because that would be the only way to effectively filter it.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    The thing is, Frontline is the low stress chill hangout queue. The Feast is the only competitive PVP in FF14.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Also some form of the Feast disables chat and just gives you simple messages you can use. So no worry about getting flamed or whatever.

• Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    Hyur
    The problem isn't them being salty, it's whether or not I agree that they're right. If I go in there trying to learn PvP, trying my best but not having skills yet, and they're rude, then fuck 'em. But I wouldn't be going in trying to learn, I'd be going in trying to run out the clock and get some participation tokens, and by intruding into their game in such a half-assed manner, I'd feel like the asshole.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Miqo'te
    From having done PVP, the biggest help you can be for your team is to try. Try to work as a team. Try to make sure your actions are useful. Try to avoid going off by yourself and dying pointlessly. I did both the Feast and the larger multi-group content. The system is very much based around team coordination and in randomly queued people any level of coordination is going to be helpful. For the Feast, don't worry too much about causing problems for others. You are going to be put into a lower ranked category with a bunch of other people just learning or equally bad. If you stick with it, you'll need to be able to work with your team well enough to advance. If you get above Silver tier in the Feast, that's when I'd suggest looking up more information on how the systems work, but below that just try to have fun.

In the multi-group stuff, try to communicate with your team members, or baring that, find a couple of people and follow them around. Weight of numbers will generally make the difference and even if you aren't being as optimal as you theoretically could be, you are still better off than at least 80% of the people who go in there.

Caedwyr on
  • Options
    doing the wrong thing as a team is more effective than doing the right thing alone: my advice for all team based games

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Miqo'te
    you don't understand gnome, the right thing is for me to be off by myself getting all the sick solo plays and swooping in to win at the last moment like a big damn hero
    it hasn't worked yet but I'm sure my true latent skill will start appearing sometime in the next 500 games or so

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Roegadyn
    In my experience, if someone is doing callouts for objectives in chat they probably know what they're doing. Listen to them.

Also turn on frontline freelancer in the duty finder options for faster queues.

Also also, the Wolves Den area with the PvP vendors switches you to PvP mode and has training dummies, so you can learn your load out. Each job always has it's full kit in PvP mode, so play around and find one you like. BRD/MCH are a great starting point. RDM is pretty good too. MNK is fun once you feel confident enough to try melee.

Also also also, when you load into a frontline, you can change your job before the round starts, but you still get XP for what you queued with. So if you come in as a RDM but your group has no healers you can swap to a healing job you have at max level and still get the xp.

turtleant on
    X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Hrothgar
    Played 5 Frontlines, lost all of them, still had 4k marks and there was like a two minute wait between them. Not bad

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Au'Ra
    HW A Little Late, A Little Slow
    Thancred's return, the bits flashing back to his naked adventures and his new look are all so much better than anything he did in ARR, goddamn.

The WoD are a FASCINATING antagonist group. I am genuinely curious as to their origins (I am assuming it has something to do with the forgotten Warriors of Light) but the idea of an entire adventuring party of antagonists all with Protagonist level powers, plot awareness and visual styling is such a fuckin rad idea

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Played 5 Frontlines, lost all of them, still had 4k marks and there was like a two minute wait between them. Not bad

Yeah the queue times seemed a lot better today, probably because they did a reminder newspost saying "hey! garo's going away!"

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Miqo'te
    turtleant wrote: »
    In my experience, if someone is doing callouts for objectives in chat they probably know what they're doing. Listen to them.

Also turn on frontline freelancer in the duty finder options for faster queues.

Also also, the Wolves Den area with the PvP vendors switches you to PvP mode and has training dummies, so you can learn your load out. Each job always has it's full kit in PvP mode, so play around and find one you like. BRD/MCH are a great starting point. RDM is pretty good too. MNK is fun once you feel confident enough to try melee.

Also also also, when you load into a frontline, you can change your job before the round starts, but you still get XP for what you queued with. So if you come in as a RDM but your group has no healers you can swap to a healing job you have at max level and still get the xp.

I’ve been levelling BLM and I took it into frontlines to try it and honestly, BLM is probably what I would recommended to PvP newbies.

It’s only got a handful of buttons (not even enough to fill a bar!). It’s very simple to play, and it does crazy damage so your contributing to team fights in an obvious way.

• Options
    by the by, to blank and everyone else coming through ff14 for the first time

something you may have heard about ARR is that while the Crystal Tower series of raids are doable in a pug group, The Coil of Bahamut isn't really. the good news is that in Heavensward on they decided to make sure that all story content like raids can be done on a normal mode!

the 24 man raid in Heavensward (starting with The Void Ark), the 8 man raid (Alexander), and the trials (The Warring Triad) can all be done once you've completed the final boss of Heavensward in the quest Heavensward. the starter quests for them are spread between Ishgard and Idyllshire. any trials labeled Extreme, Savage, or The Minstrel's Ballad (colloquially known as bardmode) are going to be hard mode version of content, which you probably won't want to do with a random group unless you are very determined.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    It’s nice to be able to see everything but I wish there was more hard-but-not-too-hard content on the lead-up to endgame tbh, especially if it was in duty roulettes. Odin and Bardmode Ultima were rad, but everything else has been easy.

Are Extreme Primals in ShB pretty PUGable? I know people PUG Savage Eden with various degrees of success, but I haven’t heard much about the Extremes other than the fact that no one bothers with older ones except un-synced.

Heavensward was rad but the last fight of 3.0 was so trivialized by un-synced ilvl.

admanb on
  • Options
    I would say you should be able to start a party finder group for extreme primals in ShB and generally fill it up. The caveat of course being that savage eden is the better gear so that's more the priority atm

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    HW A Little Late, A Little Slow
    Thancred's return, the bits flashing back to his naked adventures and his new look are all so much better than anything he did in ARR, goddamn.

The WoD are a FASCINATING antagonist group. I am genuinely curious as to their origins (I am assuming it has something to do with the forgotten Warriors of Light) but the idea of an entire adventuring party of antagonists all with Protagonist level powers, plot awareness and visual styling is such a fuckin rad idea
    the forgotten warriors of light are the 1.0 players, arr has some nods to them early on but it doesn't really go anywhere

any characters carried over from 1.0 got extra cutscenes where the scions suddenly remember them at the end of 2.0, and then that plot point is more or less dropped

the WoD do have a super cool backstory though, so don't worry!

This discussion has been closed.