As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFXIV] PATCH DAY! Mark ya spoilers!

• Options
    ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    Neither of the ShB Ex primals are particularly hard imo, it’s mostly just learning an attack order and executing. You’ll die when you’re learning it and see new attacks, but once you’ve seen them they’re not difficult to perform

Savage is the actual difficult raid content, but I haven’t done it so can’t really make a call as to how difficult it is

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Elezen
    Will my arcanist level be capped at 50 for either:

-Not having expansions added to my account
    -Not finishing up to a certain point in the MSQ?

I'm at 49 now and just past Stone Vigil.

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    captaink wrote: »

It will be locked at 50 until you add the expansions to your account, at least Heavensward.

Level is not locked by MSQ.

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Elezen
    captaink wrote: »

It will be locked at 50 until you add the expansions to your account, at least Heavensward.

Level is not locked by MSQ.

That's easy enough. I guess I'll be levels ahead for the whole MSQ then. Doing Healer roulette is almost too lucrative. And I'm starting to need more keys as SMN. What's tough is I have some good instants for damage while moving, but they're not useful all the time and take up precious space.

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    As an FYI, buying Shadowbringers gets you every expansion. In fact you can't even buy the others as a standalone product.

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    the composer for friends at the table is playing this game and has posted the most correct opinion I've ever seen

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Hyur
    I have never decided if hellsguard or lalafell names are more enjoyable.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Miqo'te
    Zay wrote: »
    Neither of the ShB Ex primals are particularly hard imo, it’s mostly just learning an attack order and executing. You’ll die when you’re learning it and see new attacks, but once you’ve seen them they’re not difficult to perform

Savage is the actual difficult raid content, but I haven’t done it so can’t really make a call as to how difficult it is

disagree that they're not hard even after you've learned what to do, real easy to fuck up on, like, titania's add phase, or the vine walls, or the tazer.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Lalafell
    Polaritie wrote: »
    I have never decided if hellsguard or lalafell names are more enjoyable.

Hellsguard allows for the name “Curious Gorge”.

• Options
    Miqo'te
    I think my favorite part about Curious Gorge's name is that his Japanese name is apparently still a Curious George pun, apparently they know Curious George over there.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options

disagree that they're not hard even after you've learned what to do, real easy to fuck up on, like, titania's add phase, or the vine walls, or the tazer.

There’s almost no variance on how you handle any mechanic. It’s like look at the bramble and go left or right for the knockback on add phase, everything else at that part is always the same. Lightning tether is handled the same every time. You shift a single puddle if vines are in the line with you or not. Then it’s just phantom rune which is random in the final phase but “in if yellow out for purple” isn’t a hard mechanic

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Miqo'te

There’s almost no variance on how you handle any mechanic. It’s like look at the bramble and go left or right for the knockback on add phase, everything else at that part is always the same. Lightning tether is handled the same every time. You shift a single puddle if vines are in the line with you or not. Then it’s just phantom rune which is random in the final phase but “in if yellow out for purple” isn’t a hard mechanic

Generally speaking the duo primals that are available at the start of an xpack are relatively simple, and then the X.1 patch, which usually is an ex version of the final trial of the main expansion story, is quite a lot harder.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Miqo'te
    Zay IS referring to the EX fights. He’s just saying they’re fairly easy EX fights due to how the mechanics work.

I don’t really have an argument to make, since I haven’t tried them yet.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Yeah, pretty much. I don’t think the first EX fights in an expansion are ever that hard, by design. Stormblood looks something like Susano, Lakshmi, Byakko, Seiryu, Shinryu, Tsukuyomi, Suzaku in terms of easiest to hardest. Seiryu is the outlier, he’s the last primal but kind of a chump on ex, while suzaku is pretty fucked

Zay on
    sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Lalafell
    Seiryu can mess you up if he decides to do his sigil in a way that doesn’t play nicely with Mister Slappy that one time they sync up.

The most punishing fights are the ones where one missing person makes most mechanics unsolveable, so that a single death just spirals. But that’s usually only on Savage.

Enlong on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    Ff14 encounters definitely favor memorization over improvisation. I have to imagine that’s intended, but the enrage timers seem tighter as a result

• Options
    Javen wrote: »
    Ff14 encounters definitely favor memorization over improvisation. I have to imagine that’s intended, but the enrage timers seem tighter as a result

That’s part of why suzaku is so fucked. Her stage is just an oversized Simon says board with a hole in the middle and you can fall off. One of the mechanics is orbs spawn, one for each person, and when it touches you you’re forced to run in the direction marked on the orb for 2 seconds. You can’t avoid this happening. At the same time, there’s a pattern of Simon saying shit and those platforms exploding. You need to identify not only the direction the orb is going to make you run, but where you can stand to avoid being blown up as the orb reaches you *and* as you’re forced to run.

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    Miqo'te

Eh. This is probably a skill gap thing, we have pretty different threshholds for what feels hard. There's no scrambling to react to stuff other than the random in/out safe zones in the last phase if you've perfectly memorized the fight already, but it took me like... 10 attempts before I felt like I had a good handle on what to do for every mechanic, and I definitely did NOT translate that into never messing it up. Every move is so deadly that all it takes is a couple people forgetting what to do or when to move in the heat of the moment to wipe it, or at least lower DPS enough to make it an eventual enrage wipe when you're doing it as cutting edge content. It feels real tight execution-wise to me, but then I and my group are probably much less top-tier DPS than yours is if you perform in FF14 like you do in WoW.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Hrothgar
    You'd think it would be hard to Shamble boss fights in FF14 like we do in WoW, but every Titania clear I've done has gotten past the tree phase at 99 percent charge

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    Hyur
    Savage DPS checks are pretty intense this tier. You can't have a single dead weight player and tanks and healers need to be doing their share and doing it well

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    Miqo'te
    My favourite EX fights in SB were Shin-ryu and Tsukuyomi. I ended up just running Tsukuyomi multiple times long after I got a dog and most of the weapons just because the fight was so much fun. I'm hoping they can pull another couple of real quality EX fights like those this expansion.

• Options
    See I just have no perception of how hard savage is because I don’t want to bother with Scheduled Raiding and one of the people I know who said how it’s soooo hard is also still progressing ex primals which makes me think they’re just bad

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Miqo'te
    See I just have no perception of how hard savage is because I don’t want to bother with Scheduled Raiding and one of the people I know who said how it’s soooo hard is also still progressing ex primals which makes me think they’re just bad

Pug it? ES1 is puggable without too much hassle I'd imagine. If you want, watch a video or two on the mechs and you'll be good to try.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    But I don’t want to

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    Hyur
    "progressing" on ex primals means they are probably really bad or there group is, hate to be the elitist but yeah

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    you've got e2s down don't you farg?

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    Hyur
    yeah we're onto e3s. Doesn't seem to rough really? What kept us longer on 2 was the brutal dps check and some trickiness on the final phase. However it is the fabled "good second fight" so I can't complain.

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    i saw a thing that when people got to e3s it had a higher success rate or whatever than e2s

anyway i'm at least 10x better than farg so it's basically like i've cleared the savage raid anyway

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    Hyur
    i saw a thing that when people got to e3s it had a higher success rate or whatever than e2s

anyway i'm at least 10x better than farg so it's basically like i've cleared the savage raid anyway

This is accurate probably

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    Miqo'te
    I actually thought you were with farg's group zay, which server are you on

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Hyur
    he's on excal with me but I'd sooner raid with a homonculus made of my own vomit before the wretched "zay", hth

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    Miqo'te
    yeah, raiding with zay? sounds like a real bad time

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Miqo'te
    I'm extremely glad all my raiding is 100% zay-free

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Hyur
    I'm extremely glad all my raiding is 100% zay-free

Same
    yeah, raiding with zay? sounds like a real bad time

Same

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    Miqo'te
    (zay do you wanna run heroic naga raid)

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Hyur
    is that the blue mage carnival

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    Miqo'te
    E1S took my group a good few hours to clear last week. It was really satisfying to just join some random Complete party finder group today and just blow it away. I even got two items out of it!
    Awkwardly going to be away this weekend while my static starts grinding E2S. Almost hoping that they fail miserably.

• Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Miqo'te
    We made it to E2S enrage last night, should clear it next week for sure once we clean up a few things.

I thought about pugging it over the weekend to try for a page before reset, but Fire Emblem is kinda consuming my fucking life at the moment so I doubt that actually happens.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    Lalafell
    Still haven’t taken time to do E1S. Hopefully my internet can stay together long enough.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Au'Ra
    h5t340nxzrvg.jpg
    I have become the Summer

CYpGAPn.png
This discussion has been closed.