As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Total War] "Peace!" "WAR!" "War and Peace." "JUST WAR." "The book, sister."

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Elves like to trade deal everyone because it gives them vision over your lands. If you're not openly hostile then you're probably going to get a deal.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Yeah I have noticed that. If I am not playing an openly evil faction they have an aversion to I tend to send out a spare hero over to Ulthuan just for that reason.

It also has the benefit of Lothernzilla not randomly deciding to declare war on you for dubious reasons later on.

Tomb kings are often also good partners for good or evil factions (aside from Arkhan for obvious reasons) but they only respect you after you have a few provinces under your belt.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    In many of my campaigns, Setra is my best trading partner. In my current campaign he's second only to Tyrion. It got kind of awkward when Setra was raiding Lothern. He finally fucked off after I signed a military alliance with Tyrion. I was getting kind of worried that I'd have to go to war to save the inner circle.

• Options
    edited October 2019
    OK so you cannot make military alliances with the empire provinces as the empire... But other people can.

So the dwarves who are +300 with me declare on me... and bring with them all of their allies... which includes every empire province except nordland. And a few refuse to make peace despite being +200 with me...

Got some tuning to do on this campaign i think

Edit: not much of an issue with dwarves declaring on me. (as Gelt). Its that all the empire comes with and there is no way to prevent that since you cannot form alliances with them... and since, you know, they're the empire and my authority is like 4

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Tomb Kings auto resolve is so bullshit. Roll on to an early game Lizardmen settlement with walls, it gives me a 50% chance at auto resolve which I lose every single time. I fight the battle with no siege equipment and just a Casket to break the door, and I get a Decisive Victory with minimal casualties.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    So for getting into WH, it sounds like 2 is the way to go, with 1 basically treated as DLC?

Trying to decide if I should bite now or wait for the end of year sales.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    There’s nothing wrong with TWWH1, it’s just older. TWWH2 has engine improvements and they’ve slowly been updating the WH1 races in Mortal Empires, but WH1 is still a fine game.

If you can only afford one at the moment, I’d just base it off the races you want to play. I personally like the races in base WH1 more, but mostly because WH2 is half Elves and I’m not their biggest fan. Two awesome Undead factions swings WH2 to my favourite if you include DLC, but I only really liked Lizardmen in the base campaign.

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    I mean, there is nothing wrong with WH1 per se. I thought it was amazing when I first played it (after playing historical total war titles).

But going back to WH1 feels very clunky these days. The WH2 updates to magic, UI, skill trees etc...

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    So for getting into WH, it sounds like 2 is the way to go, with 1 basically treated as DLC?

Trying to decide if I should bite now or wait for the end of year sales.

I would honestly be surprised if the end of year cuts any deeper than the current sale, aside from maybe on the last 2 dlc.

• Options
    GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    Im playing a Teclis game and something made me drop my reliability rating (i don't remember breaking any alliances or not backing up allies in wars) the turn after I first confederated with Tiranoc.
    The penalty from confederating made Alith Anar decide to break our non aggression pact, trade agreement and declare war on me. Which I guessed further tanked my reliability/trustworthiness (going from treaty partner to war in the same turn)
    Now every turn a different faction declares war on me
    Everyone in the world hates me, Im at war with half of them, (luckily I managed to confederate with Lothern too so I got Tyrion) and the only person who still likes me is Arkhan the Black. Who's opinion of me keeps going up. Guess he loves the piles of corpses Im making all over Ulthuan.
    I think im going to raze the entire world. I just wanted to trade with people!

• Options
    Hrm. Vortex Naggaroth: lot like Lustria except the terrain is unpleasant and everyone is an asshole.

My Khatep game is going swimmingly, killed most of the local dark elves and Morathi, Naggarond dow’s me, I kill them, now Tretch who was my NAP/trade/war ally against Malekith has attacked me too. Shouldn’t be too hard to wrap him up, one day maybe I will actually get around to these books.

• Options
    edited October 2019
    Tretch will always backstab you. He actually gets bonuses for doing it.

Always expect him to eventually attack you.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Tretch will always backstab you. He actually gets bonuses for doing it.

Always expect him to eventually attack you.

That applies to Skaven overall. They make Cao Cao seem reliable.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    There is a reason why I was reluctant to do Chaos on VH. the AI are damned cheaters and as chaos you do not really have many followers/agents to do spying for you. Archaon has a stack of chosen with 4 chaos knights, so no really good siege breakers but they will wipe the field of most enemies (ranged skirmishers and artillery are the major threats).

I've had many of turns of just wiping out multiple stacks from both bretonnia AND empire.

Empire had 5 stacks in norsca that I took out one by one with lightning strike. only to find 2 more waiting for me as I tried to cross the ocean.

The new dwarf slayer and the warrior priest LL were at sea waiting to ambush me off the coast of albion. I straight up had to play this fight out 4 times before I could achieve a victory (damaged army after killing franz). Losing Archaon at this point would have been game over; he had fully developed chaos warrior recruitment, main growth building, chaos knight tower w/ income, and dragon shaggoth building.

Rinse and repeat that story several times when I made landing in the north and moved south to marienburg.

Orcs and Vampires are allied with me now, and I'm pretty sure the dwarves are dead. Empire is on their last legs, as they keep repopulating the north as I moved down and sacked Reikland and Nurn. 2 more tier 5 strongholds to go and they will not be able to field top tier armies anymore. Then I get to look forward to wiping out Bretonnia and moving on to kill the High Elves. I am loath to think about the result of walking an army of chosen into a doomstack of dragons and/or sisters of avelorn.

660,000 favour; at my current upkeep (4 hordes) that's enough income to last 100 turns with no additional income.

• Options
    JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    I started a Wulfhart game. Ended up ping-ponging across the north side of Lustria like a pseudo-horde between the Orcs and Skaven for awhile before Teclis turned up and I could ally with him to secure a flank. Now me and Teclis are cleaning up Lustria while I have a stack holding the isthmus in not-Panama from Hexotl, who is too busy with the Dark Elves to push too hard.

Edit: Actually didn't take long to finish the game up after that. I stacked Huntsmen and artillery, just blew everything apart.

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Nakai legendary is way harder than Wulfhart legendary. I ended up abandoning the mainland as Wulfhart had two full stacks sieging the defenders and the wood elf horde faction had two full stacks as well.

Took some islands on the west side of Lustria and farmed shipwrecks to fully upgrade all the upkeep reduction building, and maxed out Nakai's upkeep reduction and got the research, so I am at 58% upkeep reduction and can field a whole stack finally. Gonna try an almost whole stack of sacred Kroxigars with some dino support.

Took on three full stacks of base skeletons, Nakai and his scar vet buddy killed Kalida and two other generals and then just ground bonemeal until they all crumbled. That was fun.

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    How does ME play these days? Do I really need to run one of those ME Turn Time mods or is the base game fine?

Feeling a hankering for a Skyre run...

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    Turn times are heavily CPU dependant, the shortest I’ve managed in ME on my i7-7700k is about 1 minute without a mod.

• Options
    I finished Nakai legendary vortex. Most battles boiled down to hitting lock group on the kroxs and right clicking the enemy while Nakai hunted their general. Some Kroak exploding happened too.

}
  • Options
    Spectrum wrote: »
    How does ME play these days? Do I really need to run one of those ME Turn Time mods or is the base game fine?

Feeling a hankering for a Skyre run...

Turn times are CPU dependent. I would still suggest installing "the old world" which destroys and salts anything across the sea

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    I'm about 200 turns in VH Chaos campaign.
    An ally, Ikit Claw, just went the way of the dodo in the south; he had all of the south Brettonia and Estalia. Wood Elves, High Elves, and one of the lizardmen factions just wiped him out in about 10 turns.

Empire has 1 territory left; the Orc Mountains in bretonnia. Brettonia has 2 territories left, but is surrounded by HE reinforcements that took his territory.
    High Elves are #1, and they killed off all the DE factions. It looks like they are sending ALL of their armies here. I doubt I have the patience to get the Long Campaign victory, so I am just going to bee line for Empire and Brettonia and call it quites. I have 5 hordes now, with the Legendary Lords having most of the development buildings; the 2 new ones have basic warriors and beast buildings (chaos monstrous creatures are low tier siege, with splash dmg and armor piercing. One of the most useful units in the Chaos Roster)

• Options
    CA said to keep an eye out on Halloween for something, so everyone logically started guessing some kind of Vampire FLC.

• Options
    edited November 2019
    CA said to keep an eye out on Halloween for something, so everyone logically started guessing some kind of Vampire FLC.

So looks like the CA halloween thing was Alien Isolation for switch...

Don’t know why everyone was so thinking it was warhammer since they said flat out there would be no more warhammer before Christmas

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    They actually only said keep an eye out for more Halloween themed content rather than actual game updates. It seemed to be a spooky muffin bake-off.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    The AI just can’t seem to figure out what to do with Bloated Corpses.

I was fighting early in a Noctilus campaign against Caledor and fighting on a double choke point map. Clogged one chokepoint with zombie bodies and hammered it with the Necrofex, and the Elves swung a pair of Spearmen regiments around to flank me.

As they wheeled around the end of the chokepoint to start a run at my flank, out ambles my Bloated Corpse and makes a run for them. The front regiment retreats into the second, Corpse hits them, and thank you for 136 kills.

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2h3tAlXVB7U

This multiplayer replay is just so good. I love seeing a mounted greenskin force honestly, but the ending makes the whole thing.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    That was a fun game.

It always amazes me how different high level multiplayer is to campaign games. Campaign games are generally about massive conflicts, sometimes 2-3 stacks each side clashing. At that point it's there's not a whole lot of micro management, you're using spells to try and break flanks where 10-15 units will either route or push through. Multiplayer is much smaller battles, so it's very much making each unit count as much as possible.

I don't much like playing multiplayer battles, but they're super fun to watch when someone good is playing.

• Options
    The light cav on the other side of the field had not routed yet. But yes its still pretty amazing

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    I feel so bad for how stupid the siege AI is sometimes and how easy it is to cheese

But on the other hand pounding a castle full of frenchies who wardec'd my noble rats out of the blue back into the stone age is kind of funny

(Playing ME Skyre, Carcassonne dead on Turn 22 because they're idiots who didn't know that I was originally intending to go kill Tilea after Estalia and ignore advancing in their direction)

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    Sometimes the AI is weird like that.

Like as Belegar, I’m fighting Skarsnik in the north and he’s almost dead and I still have a pretty much full army , and Pirates of Sartosa declare war on me and send a stack up north to be killed... Why? Tilea, Estalia, and Border princes are still alive guys and you are at war with them, maybe focus your efforts there?

• Options
    The AI likes to put you and your territories on priority. I'm not entire sure why.

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Yeah. In my last game, I had the Huntsmarshal get dragged into war witg me when his military ally decided to hate me. He promptly sent 2 stacks a continent away, neglecting his single settlement, just to try and hurt me.

I swatted him down and got peace, but he still hated me, even after later declaring war on the guy that dragged him into the war in the first place. I'd have killed him, but I was trying to sweet talk Lothern and they liked him for some reason.

• Options
    Because if it doesnt the game can be too easy

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    XantomasXantomas Registered User regular
    I really enjoy watching the Everchosen tourney streaming every year. I otherwise don't watch much multiplayer, but it's pretty cool. The last one happened within the last couple months. Somebody here usually links to it, I think that's how I heard of it, years ago. :mrgreen:

• Options
    edited November 2019
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Because if it doesnt the game can be too easy

Also boring. Making enemy AI primarily target you helps keep the variety of armies you fight. If you’re entrenched in a war with Empire, Greenskins light show up, High Elves might get real pissy and make a sea voyage just to give you a black eye, rather than just Empire followed by a Empire followed by yet more Empire.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    The High Elves are the obnoxious ones because they just sail doomstacks over and you can't really do shit about it.

Well, anyway, the turn after I finished killing Carcassnone, the Wood Elves wardec'd me because of course they would. They even hated the damned Brets also and so were gaining positive relations from that!

Time to burn some trees I guess...is what I would say but I'm not going anywhere near them until I get my second stack going.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Best way I’ve seen to deal with Wood Elves as Skryre is to build a Doomsphere under the Oak of Ages.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    Best way I’ve seen to deal with Wood Elves as Skryre is to build a Doomsphere under the Oak of Ages.
    It's the funniest but I'm only playing on Normal so I feel fairly confident about being able to roll them once I get going. Taking WE territories is really solid for Skaven because it's food positive, too.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    When I'm not playing as high elves, they tend to get beat down pretty bad. At least in the games I play. When I finally make my way to their island, more often than not, Lothern has been taken by Setra or some flavor of Vampirate. In my Alariel campaign I could never convince Tyrion to confederate even though Lothern was under siege. At one point Setra was raiding the area around Lothern for a dozen or so turns, with a couple of military alliances with me being the only thing keeping them from war.

• Options
    That's weird That_Guy. High Elves almost always take over the map in my ME games

This discussion has been closed.