As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Total War] "Peace!" "WAR!" "War and Peace." "JUST WAR." "The book, sister."

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Kruite wrote: »
    That's weird That_Guy. High Elves almost always take over the map in my ME games

I have long suspected that the campaign AI learns from your previous games and adopts new strategies based on how your playstyle.

• Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    If that's true then they would stop running into my ambushes :D

• Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Hrmmmmm, did they change it so Skaven can't generate food off commandments for single territory provinces? I punched the Wood Elves in the face to not deal with their shit and thought I might profit at the same time...

edit: Nevermind, it's the 2T delay on the Food ledger.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    Wow, they really had the Durthu AI build nothing but a full stack of Dryads. That's kind of impressive.

Unfortunately a column of Dryads getting ambushed and getting shot in the face in the front 1 by 1 tends not perform all that well.

I probably shouldn't be cheesing the AI so hard to sally with bait armies and ambush stance main stacks in front but being able to trivially kill or autoresolve the enemy's best stack IS kind of funny...

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    danxdanx Registered User regular
    Now that I can finally play Mortal Empires with acceptable early game turn times anyone have any advice for a Tyrion campaign please? It seems kind of easy so far but it's just been cleaning up the elves denying their king and building up influence. Next is probably Sapphiry or the Scourge for the sword if Allarielle doesn't get it after she finishes off Chrace.

The map is really throwing me after so much Vortex. Before now I just played one turn of ME and went nope Vortex it is so it's completely new. Somethings haven't changed though. Noctilus is running around polluting Ulthuan as usual.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    High elves are... kinda boring... or hilariously varied.

Army composition is archers and spears until you get seaguard and then its archers and seaguard. Your artillery is... eh. A good enfilade ballista can br strong but it wont be better than a cannon and will have shorter range and worse anti-large. White Lions are eh but swordmasters are amazing.

Dragons are top tier monsters but super expensive. Phoenixes are OK and great eagles are bad except against artillery or wizards.

The main thing for high elves is that their army depends a lot on how good the lord is. Lords and Heroes get bonuses based on how much influence youre willing to spend on them and the ones that modify specific army units are... bonkers.

Like... if you get a 60 influence cavalry lord then silver helms go from “decent to good light cav” to “man fucking what?” With 90 speed, 90 armor, and 90 charge bonus. And you can just stack them because they will cost about the same as spearmen.

Tyrion himself is good in combat but... doesnt have good army buffs. So its best to focus your secondary armies on army buff lords and then slam tyrion full of all your high influence heroes.

High Elves have a harder time completing the rituals than other factions. Their seige is eh and their anti-siege is eh and, more importantly, their income per province is low which makes it harder to concentrate ritual locations. The Dark Elves, as an example, can hold 1 or 2 regions and then just sack with black ships to generate slaves and produce stupid income in a single province, making it easy to defend. While the skaven can ambush.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    the 40-60 influence high elf recruits are absolutely bananas

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    You just sit x number of Entrepreneur heroes in either Lothern or Northern Yvresse (for Vortex) to do mega-income as HElves. So if you just want to do a tall campaign, those are the provinces you do it with.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    Beastmen are still direly in need of a rework, right?

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Not really

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Their roster is missing a few units, and they could use another LL (IIRC they’re the only DLC race to get an FLC LL).

Other than that they’re not really in any worse shape than other WH1 races before their reworks.

• Options
    Don't they still have a jankier ramp/more downsides to various things than any other comparative race?

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Three Kingdoms was on sale this weekend, so I finally picked it up.

I've played Total War games before (the ones I've spent the most time with being Medieval 1, Rome 1, and Warhammer 1) but I understand 3K has some innovations or otherwise shakes stuff up a bit? What do I need to know?

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    From what I’ve heard they really overhauled diplomacy,

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    Spectrum wrote: »
    Don't they still have a jankier ramp/more downsides to various things than any other comparative race?

I played them recently and didn’t really notice anything worse on that end than, say, Chaos or Nakai.

Horde factions are pretty janky in general.

• Options
    Apparently the Beastmen are one of the weaker multiplayer races (does anyone know where to look for stats, such as win rates).

Basically all you have to do to shut them down is bring anti-large to the table. And as good and as fast as their cavalry are, they have little to no armor and very little ranged resistance.

@Jacobkosh 3K has a lot of tools in the diplomacy toolbox, but I personally find that most of the options for long term positive relations are closed to you at the start.

They have videos on characters, spying, and diplomacy that I would look up. Keeping your characters satisfied and being wary of spies are some of the more challenging non-combat aspects of the game.

• Options
    MassenaMassena Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Jacobkosh wrote: »

I've played Total War games before (the ones I've spent the most time with being Medieval 1, Rome 1, and Warhammer 1) but I understand 3K has some innovations or otherwise shakes stuff up a bit? What do I need to know?

It depends on which Total War you've played but:
    1) Armies are comprised of 1-3 generals, who have retinues. The troops take time to recruit rather than show up instantly, and the general bonuses can stack to serious levels. You want one strategist (blue generals) per army. They give you access to ranged units and catapults, as well as other army formation stuff (which isn't really explained well).
    2) You probably want to pick a research direction and roll with it. If you're trade-based, go with the trade path, Cao Cao can go green to boost his farms, the gold path has serious benefits as well, depending on how you build out. But generally pick a direction and flesh it out rather than a lot of little stuff.
    3) Diplomacy is SUPER useful. Some TW games (like Warhammer), it's almost an afterthought (Medieval) and in some it's basically broken (Rome). Here it's useful for building coalitions, trading excess resources for things you're short of (food for money), and some factions have mechanics that let them manipulate diplomatic relationships to prevent enemies from coming at you all at once.
    4) Each faction has a "mechanic" that is different. They need to do certain things to fill up a meter and unlock certain bonuses at certain points. This means that each faction CAN play extremely differently, so pay attention to that mechanic for your faction.
    5) Generals are super strong in the Romance version. Don't be afraid to send those guys out as though they're an entire unit (unless they're a strategist, those guys drop quick).

There's a lot to dig into with TW3K, but those are the biggest differences from the games you reference I think..

Massena on
  • Options
    Espionage also exists. With some luck, you can get your spy adopted or married into the ruling faction's family, at which point you can just start assassinating the faction leader, heir, etc. In the ideal case you can supposedly even have your spy in charge of the faction and have them turn the entire kit and kaboodle over to you but I've never managed it.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    Spectrum wrote: »
    Espionage also exists. With some luck, you can get your spy adopted or married into the ruling faction's family, at which point you can just start assassinating the faction leader, heir, etc. In the ideal case you can supposedly even have your spy in charge of the faction and have them turn the entire kit and kaboodle over to you but I've never managed it.

Sadly, you cannot take over the HAN faction if you imbed a spy into their ranks.

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited November 2019
    Tube wrote: »
    Not really

I think their horde system is pretty bad. Like, after playing Nakai and the Beastmen back to back it was pretty rough. I don't expect Beastmen to get a tributary system, but sharing the LLs buildings is really cool.

On that Beastmen game, the Empire got caught in a war with Middenland and Wissenland and I snuck in there and burned them down early with no confederations. It felt GOOD. It felt way less good later on when I was fucking around in Brettonia they reappeared and in successive turns confederated everybody. I was so fucking defeated on a personal level.

A duck! on
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    The main thing with Beastmen (and chaos too)was that it’s easy to burn down cities, it’s hard to get them to stay burned down.

Nakai is supposed to be different with his tributary faction, but they turn put to be a feckless jobber faction incapable of putting up a real fight against anyone, so everyone declares war on them and you end up not much better off than chaos and beastmen.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    The Nakai tributary buildings have a pretty sizable defense force. With the nakai specific currency you can spawn armies for them (they don't replenish). Only issue with Nakai was that your income is SO LOW, even if you conquer a whole continent. I finished the campaign with 3 stacks, a large liquidity, with a couple hundred per turn. Not a lot of manpower to defend that much territory.

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    Massena wrote: »

1) Armies are comprised of 1-3 generals, who have retinues. The troops take time to recruit rather than show up instantly, and the general bonuses can stack to serious levels. You want one strategist (blue generals) per army. They give you access to ranged units and catapults, as well as other army formation stuff (which isn't really explained well).
    2) You probably want to pick a research direction and roll with it. If you're trade-based, go with the trade path, Cao Cao can go green to boost his farms, the gold path has serious benefits as well, depending on how you build out. But generally pick a direction and flesh it out rather than a lot of little stuff.
    3) Diplomacy is SUPER useful. Some TW games (like Warhammer), it's almost an afterthought (Medieval) and in some it's basically broken (Rome). Here it's useful for building coalitions, trading excess resources for things you're short of (food for money), and some factions have mechanics that let them manipulate diplomatic relationships to prevent enemies from coming at you all at once.
    4) Each faction has a "mechanic" that is different. They need to do certain things to fill up a meter and unlock certain bonuses at certain points. This means that each faction CAN play extremely differently, so pay attention to that mechanic for your faction.
    5) Generals are super strong in the Romance version. Don't be afraid to send those guys out as though they're an entire unit (unless they're a strategist, those guys drop quick).

There's a lot to dig into with TW3K, but those are the biggest differences from the games you reference I think..

I'd like to add that Generals also have personality traits that can give boosts or cause conflicts with other Generals, both in and out of your faction. These traits give bonuses to their stats, but also inform how friendships and rivalries are built among all of the characters in the game. Be careful when you go to execute a captured general, because if they have a lot of friends, you could have some of your own generals defect or suddenly find yourself in a multi-sided war as a bunch of different factions seek revenge against you. Always check relationships before executing someone.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    The Nakai tributary buildings have a pretty sizable defense force. With the nakai specific currency you can spawn armies for them (they don't replenish). Only issue with Nakai was that your income is SO LOW, even if you conquer a whole continent. I finished the campaign with 3 stacks, a large liquidity, with a couple hundred per turn. Not a lot of manpower to defend that much territory.

You can demand payment from your vassal.

• Options
    edited November 2019

They have a pretty big garrison, but without an army to defend them it’s pretty trivial to bring 2 stacks of decent troops and wipe them out. If Nakai is AI, once you smash him it’s basically free land. As a player the AI doesn’t tend to make great use of the armies especially in Norsca. They would probably be a fair bit more useful if there was a way to replenish them.

But as mentioned, you can absolutely shake down them for cash every few turns, it isn’t like they are using it for anything anyway.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    AspectVoid wrote: »
    Massena wrote: »

I'd like to add that Generals also have personality traits that can give boosts or cause conflicts with other Generals, both in and out of your faction. These traits give bonuses to their stats, but also inform how friendships and rivalries are built among all of the characters in the game. Be careful when you go to execute a captured general, because if they have a lot of friends, you could have some of your own generals defect or suddenly find yourself in a multi-sided war as a bunch of different factions seek revenge against you. Always check relationships before executing someone.
    Ironically, if you have a faction you're trying to woo but who you are at war with, you can actually farm relations with them by just camping outside their city on ambush and chain killing their army but making sure to always release their generals. You will basically impress them and net gain relations from doing this.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    Huh, so probably Deathmaster Snikch. Question is if he’s the LL or a legendary hero. Normally I would assume he’s probably the LL, but in tabletop he notably has a rule called “A Killer, Not a Leader” that prevents him from leading armies to emphasize he’s a loner only interested in killing.

I have theorized for awhile that Thanquol might come as the LL for Clan Eshin, with Snikch as a legendary hero. Suppose we’ll find out soon.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    That would be a bit of an odd choice with Hell Pit still sitting empty right there. Although Thanquol could feasibly go in the Hell Pit in ME. Or Moulder could come in game 3 if the map extends that far west.

Or Moulder with Snikch getting the Kroak treatment which would also make sense.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    Oh yeah, I'm personally hoping it's Moulder. This particularly hint just doesn't seem to point that way, but we've been surprised before. If it turns out to be Eshin I kind of wonder what units they would do, since pretty much all of their roster is in game. There's Eshin Sorcerers as a Lord or Hero type, but that would require a new Lore of Magic. Looking forward to a reveal tomorrow.

• Options
    edited November 2019
    There’s leaked images that show the next Lord pack. Shadow and Blade - Sniktch vs Malus Darkblade.

Guessing the FLC is going to be HE, which leads HE to be in the next LP which is suspected to be a cross game pack, Eltharion vs Grom the Paunch.

This also coincides with the rumoured next Old World overhaul being Greenskins.

Edit - just had a thought, if they wanted to add a Legendary Hero for Skaven, they’re probably more likely to go with the Vermin Lord who is still absent from the game.

Still it’s weird having Sniktch as a LL. On the tabletop he wasn’t allowed to be the general, and in TW Lords can’t do assassinations.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    I think I had one of my favorite wins ever today. I was playing Cult of Pleasure and sieging Altdorf with a very tanky lord on a Dragon and a siege-oriented stack (lot of ranged and bolt throwers). On the other side was Karl Franz who had two Stanks and FIVE Helstorm rocket batteries. After taking down the towers I decided to fly my lord over to tie up some ranged units while mine burned the rest of their ranged down. Once she got there, however, the tactical genius of the Prince and Emperor became apparent as he launched volley after volley of rockets into...his own men. I moved my lord over to a large clump of Halberdiers and Greatswords and marveled as he demolished his own elite troops.

By the time my lord had to pull back he had exhausted all of his Helstorm ammo and killed around 450 of his own men (mostly elites) for the loss of basically nothing on my side. My lord even got about 200 kills in! What a day.

• Options
    -Loki- wrote: »
    There’s leaked images that show the next Lord pack. Shadow and Blade - Sniktch vs Malus Darkblade.

Guessing the FLC is going to be HE, which leads HE to be in the next LP which is suspected to be a cross game pack, Eltharion vs Grom the Paunch.

This also coincides with the rumoured next Old World overhaul being Greenskins.

Edit - just had a thought, if they wanted to add a Legendary Hero for Skaven, they’re probably more likely to go with the Vermin Lord who is still absent from the game.

Still it’s weird having Sniktch as a LL. On the tabletop he wasn’t allowed to be the general, and in TW Lords can’t do assassinations.

I trust they’ll do him justice, but yeah, it’s super strange having arguably the world’s greatest assassin and notorious loner unable to split off and do assassinations.

I’m also trying to figure out what Eshin units they could grab from various sources and other games. Sorcerers with Lore of Stealth could be very cool if they borrow a bit from WFRP and do a bit of logical expansion. Of course they could just give them Lore of Shadows, but that would make their potential addition kind of lame.

Eshin Rat Ogres could be neat since they’re supposed to be stealthier and faster. Maybe put stalk on them? Aside from that I’m kind of drawing blanks aside from borrowing from Mordheim’s customization for like... gutter runners with pistols? But not sure if that would be a particularly interesting unit.

• Options
  • Options
    One more thing of note is that the free update will also have some significant QOL improvements. One of those improvements is a 60% decrease in wait times between turns. This should, hopefully, make those Mortal Empires campaigns more bearable.

Yea boooooooooiiiiiiiiiiiiii

• Options
    edited November 2019
    Oooh, that is a very nice change.

Steam page is up for the DLC. A lot of neat information. Each faction is getting both a new lord type and hero type. Dark Elves are getting High Beastmaster Lords and Masters as heroes. Beastmasters are strong anti-large while Masters have high defenses and guardian. Skaven are getting Master Assassins as lords and Eshin Sorcerers as heroes. Master Assassins have ranged shuriken attacks, are good at melee, have stalk, conceal, etc, while Sorcerers have a new lore of magic, Lore of Stealth, which is supposed to be heavily support based.

Malus' starts with two different settlements on opposite sides of the map, and receives a dilemma that will try and force him to choose one. Clan Eshin can use any of it's Eshin Lords/Heroes to perform something similar to agent actions called Shadowy Dealings which have a wide range of effects, from stealing items to inciting rebellions. So guess Snikch can assassinate people. They can also undertake contracts from other Skaven clans to increase their reputation with them and gain discounts on that clan's units.

Edit: And the FLC Lord is.... Repanse de Lyonesse for Brettonia! I didn't see that one coming, honestly.

Iblis on
  • Options
    About time we got Bloodwrack Medusae and Shrines. The Scourgerunner Chariot sounds interesting.

The Eshin units... eh. Triads sound interesting, but it’s funny that it says they’re an alternative to Clanrats and Stormvermin but aren’t frontline units like Clanrats or Stormvermin. Poisoned wind mortars are a beefed up unit that already exists in a faction with more that enough artillery and guns already. Also they feel more like Skryre units than Eshin.

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Malus and Repanse de Lyonesse are some of my fondest memories of Fantasy, so it's an understatement to say that I'm fucking hyped about this DLC

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Have they fixed the Steam store page for it yet?

When it first went up, the number of typos and other issues was kind of embarrassing.

Still bought it, of course.

• Options
    Man, if they put a start position for Brettonia on vortex that will be amazing.

I wonder where Snickt and the second start location for Malus will be on both maps? Mortal Empires had a bit of province shifting done in west Lustria a while back... Maybe there? Or maybe both will start on southlands in vortex and elsewhere in ME? Southlands vortex could use more going on...

This discussion has been closed.