As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Total War] "Peace!" "WAR!" "War and Peace." "JUST WAR." "The book, sister."

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    The weird thing with Araby is they aren’t working from nothing (or almost nothing) like with Cathay, Nippon or Ind. Araby had a full Warmaster army list and miniature range.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Have they said Araby definitely won't be in Warhammer Total War 3? I see a lot of stuff about it not coming to 2, but I don't know if it won't be in the future.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Have they said Araby definitely won't be in Warhammer Total War 3? I see a lot of stuff about it not coming to 2, but I don't know if it won't be in the future.

The lands of Araby are on the WH2 map, just full of Brettonians. The WH3 map is pretty far and won’t include those lands.

If they’re not in WH2, we aren’t getting them short of some surprise megamap DLC long into the games future.

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular

Just given what we know about the geography of the areas covered in each game it would be very odd. As in the area of Araby is on the vortex map and probably won’t be on a WH3 map. Also Arkhan and now Repanse and Snicht in vortex are sitting on the natural start locations for them.

So I think it is very doubtful, or they would have left those areas empty, especially of guys like Arkhan or Snicht they could have justified sticking anywhere.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Subsequent DLC to 2 has added areas, including adding stuff to previously existing areas of the map for Mortal Empires, if they wanted to add an Araby DLC in WH3 at some point it wouldn't necessarily be more to do than some of the DLC's they've done for 1 and 2.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    Yeah, it is possible, I just don’t see it unless it is something they didn’t have planned and decided to do later.

Think about how many legendary lords in game have some association to kislev in the lore (Throgg, Azhag, Gelt come to mind). Yet those provinces are clean. Now how many lords don’t have much or any connection to Araby in previous lore and could really start other places but start there anyway in one or both campaigns (Repanse, Arkhan, TiqTacTo, Snicht). One of these areas looks like they have plans for it, one doesn’t.

• Options
    Subsequent DLC to 2 has added areas, including adding stuff to previously existing areas of the map for Mortal Empires, if they wanted to add an Araby DLC in WH3 at some point it wouldn't necessarily be more to do than some of the DLC's they've done for 1 and 2.

The problem is Araby is geographically in the New World. Tomb Kings were placed both inside and outside of Khemri, but Khemri was geographically in the New World as well. Vampire Coast was easy to fudge because it was such a mixed bag of characters from all over.

Sure they could come up with some back story about migration away from a crusade and such, but at this point people just need to accept that they aren’t doing Araby.

• Options
    edited December 2019
    Old World, surely. Or the Southlands.

Lord_Asmodeus on
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Sorry, I was referring to the New World regarding the TW maps. WH1 - Old World, WH2 - New World. I’m aware there’s different regions within them and some crossover.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    Araby I could see being somewhat of a problem just because a lot of their flashier units felt like a westerner’s take on One Thousand and One Nights. It’s also hard to say if their flashy units would carry a DLC, since Tomb Kings, Norsca, and Vampire Coast we’re heavily marketed around their cool monster designs.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    danxdanx Registered User regular
    Chaos just spawned like six or seven half stacks off the coast of Ulthuan in Mortal Empires. Wasn't expecting it so my High Elf armies were in Lustria finishing off Vampire Coast to help out Tehenehuin, and the Black Coast fighting Morathi. I was just thinking chaos/vamp corruption is horrible and I hate playing against it when Chaos stirred so that was fun.

Next time I'm just going to head north and skip the whole Morathi thing until there's no alternative.

• Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    ss_f503a284fa1a650858e087c8008baf3c1108a6ea.1920x1080.jpg?t=1575561788

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    I haven’t played a Brettonians campaign, but that will now change.

• Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    I’m curious about her gimmicks. One of the Youtubers I was watching said she has some kind of mechanic you have to juggle involving water, but didn’t go into specifics.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Snikch has an amazing starting position in ME.
    He's on the flank and he has not only his own Clan Eshin stronghold (generating 3 food and money and opens up technology from the start), but within reach is Crookback mountain and the Clan Rictus stronghold that not only generates income, food but also gives all your stormvermin recruited in the province +2 rank (and recruits them cheaper) but it makes your stormvermin (all armies) immune to psychology.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    PerduraboPerdurabo Registered User regular
    Gotta say it's weird coming back to WH2 after playing 3K and recruitment working the way that it does.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Cathay would give a probably higher return (again you would need to be careful to fit in with the warhammer tone while still being respectful though)

There’s probably a ton of animations and models for Arabian themed units from attilla they could use as a base for Araby, though, so I doubt it would be a huge cost in terms of asset production(they wouldn’t need to scratch make camel or elephant units, for example).

The fun of the Empire is playing against the fantasy units with an army that is approximately a normal Total War force with some magical units added in. Since the Empire has late medieval/early modern covered while Brettonia does the Middle Ages, I'd make Araby into the Ancient/Roman equivalent with horse archers, phalanxes, and elephants. Not sure how that fits the lore, but it and the Shogun/Romance armies are the big existing gaps in the "Starter army for historical Total War fans" roster.

Phillishere on
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Cathay would give a probably higher return (again you would need to be careful to fit in with the warhammer tone while still being respectful though)

There’s probably a ton of animations and models for Arabian themed units from attilla they could use as a base for Araby, though, so I doubt it would be a huge cost in terms of asset production(they wouldn’t need to scratch make camel or elephant units, for example).

The fun of the Empire is playing against the fantasy units with an army that is approximately a normal Total War force with some magical units added in. Since the Empire has late medieval/early modern covered while Brettonia does the Middle Ages, I'd make Araby into the Ancient/Roman equivalent with horse archers, phalanxes, and elephants. Not sure how that fits the lore, but it and the Shogun/Romance armies are the big existing gaps in the "Starter army for historical Total War fans" roster.
    I mean honestly that's Tomb Kings, except the elephants are big kitties and there's not much flesh on the bones.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    Bethryn wrote: »

I mean honestly that's Tomb Kings, except the elephants are big kitties and there's not much flesh on the bones.

Haven't actually played them yet, but I can see that. I do think the data that players prefer human armies leaves an opening to do more human-centered factions.

• Options
    edited December 2019
    From the lore, Tilea and Border princes fit that description more. Kind of a italian renaissance but with a lot of greco roman influence. No elephants, but Pikemen form the core supported by crossbows and light skirmishers, light and heavy cav including horse archers, etc, then the more fantastic units come in the form of dwarf and ogre auxillaries, and various mercenary regiments of renown (which include some wilder things like a dragon, an undead conquistador company, dwarf pirates,etc)

Edit: I think you could do a pretty awesome DOW/tilea/border princes army like this - based on the old white dwarf army list

Regular units (rules like other armies)

Tilean Pikemen
    Tilean Armored pikemen

Duelists (pistol and rapier skirmish infantry, a better free company militia)

Crossbowmen

Arabyan Horsemen (Light melee cav) (army list has this as light cavalry but I would want to avoid generic names and it mentioned most of their light cav is recruited from araby)
    Arabyan desert raiders (light archer cav)

Noble Sons (heavy cav, lorewise come from the non-inheriting sons of brettonia and empire)
    Noble Sons with lances

Paymaster’s Guard (heavy elite halberd infantry)

Cannon/great cannon

Non-human Auxillary units (these are special in the army list, I think they should work like tomb kings units with a recruitment building chain allowing x number per unit built. Should still have upkeep (mercenaries) and be restricted enough to be rare.

Dwarf mercenaries:

Dwarf warriors
    Quarellers
    Hammerers

Ogre mercenaries:
    Ogre Bulls
    Ironguts
    Ogre Maneaters

Norscan mercenaries:
    Marauders
    Marauder horsemen
    Berserkers

Halfling Mercenaries:

Halfling archers
    Halfling hot pot
    Treeman

Then have a really robust list of Regiments of Reknown.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    Spectrum wrote: »

She seems a bit OP. I wonder if she'll have negative modifiers or other events leading to conflict with neighboring Brettonians, since her whole pro-peasant thing is kind of against their ideology. Plus, that's how Jean d' Arc's arc went.

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    I just looked at Repanse de Lyonesse faction traits. -80 relationship with all three undead factions. Once you got your starting province her game is going to get UGLY.
    Her other traits are nice though. Her own army has bonus resistance and leadership for peasant units, all questing knights get +8 MD, cheap heroes and some bonus Control in her provinces.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Looking at some of the streams for the new DLC the ME turn times are much much better! Really looking forward to trying a few campaigns now without having a book to read by my side!

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Turns out that after hitting level 30 Snikch can just straight up delete a faction every 100 turns. You pick the faction and they disappear with all their territory being turned into rebels.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    what

• Options
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    A duck! wrote: »
    Turns out that after hitting level 30 Snikch can just straight up delete a faction every 100 turns. You pick the faction and they disappear with all their territory being turned into rebels.
    Goodbye Tyrion.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    Goodbye Tyrion.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to use it on the first person that offers me an alliance five turns in a row

• Options
    edited December 2019
    It’s a player only thing, and seems to just be intended as a cool thing, equivalent to nuking a whole faction as clan skrye.

Edit: also it seems you only get it after you complete the eshin campaign objectives.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    I'm not really seenig the problem with Sniktch's ability. Once he's hit level 30, you're probably already steamrolling and no AI faction is going to stand up to you. A 100 turn cooldown means you're probably going to fire it off once before you're bored with the campaign. Plus the AI has no capacity to use it, so if you really have a problem with how strong it is, you can just not use it.

It's basically an optional mid to late campaign 'fuck you' to an AI faction that's annoying you or you just dislike.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    I only wish other factions had access to it! Lustrian start and you gotta fuck off and wipe out Queek? Press the button. Lizardman start and to gotta wipe out people in snow? Press the button. My favorite will be waiting for the Empire to finish their confederation steamroll and then delete em.

• Options
    -Loki- wrote: »
    I'm not really seenig the problem with Sniktch's ability. Once he's hit level 30, you're probably already steamrolling and no AI faction is going to stand up to you. A 100 turn cooldown means you're probably going to fire it off once before you're bored with the campaign. Plus the AI has no capacity to use it, so if you really have a problem with how strong it is, you can just not use it.

It's basically an optional mid to late campaign 'fuck you' to an AI faction that's annoying you or you just dislike.

Yeah, I don’t see a problem with it. Its cheating about as much as Brettonia is cheating to fight the last crusade battle at 2000 chivalry and win the game.

• Options
    I just looked at Repanse de Lyonesse faction traits. -80 relationship with all three undead factions. Once you got your starting province her game is going to get UGLY.
    Her other traits are nice though. Her own army has bonus resistance and leadership for peasant units, all questing knights get +8 MD, cheap heroes and some bonus Control in her provinces.
    Conveniently, early TK armies are also mostly chaff backed by a couple monsters, so just rush some anti large and get into peasant vs skeleton slap fights.

Goodbye Tyrion.
    Just make sure to click the button -after- he's confederated everyone else.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2019

Even better is her skill line. Against the undead it gives them a total of 8 melee attack (13 for infantry), flaming attacks, ITP and Frenzy and it makes her unbreakable. It's insane.

Edit - Army frenzy and her unbreakable buff aren't tied to fighting undead.

A duck! on
  • Options
    Man the turn ends look fast now. Looked about as fast as TWWH1 cycling through factions.

• Options
    Battle pilgrims are pretty quick to get and should mow down skeletons.

• Options
    Got my ME Skyre game done in time for...MW5 because I totally forgot that was coming out.

50% Corruption in all owned areas is still kind of a dumb one. I actively was just sacking and razing to finish out the campaign while waiting for my corruption to tick up because taking more land would be actively detrimental. (Also getting owned by having Overlord's Musk traits on people)

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I am still terrible at this game. Just not decisive enough, I think.

• Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019

She seems a bit OP. I wonder if she'll have negative modifiers or other events leading to conflict with neighboring Brettonians, since her whole pro-peasant thing is kind of against their ideology. Plus, that's how Jean d' Arc's arc went.

Worth bearing in mind that most of her bonuses only apply to peasant units, and peasants suuuuuck. Which is probably why I could never get a handle on Bretonnians, you're supposed to use the peasants to pin the enemy in place while your cavalry flanks, but peasants simply cannot hold the line against anything. Offensive sieges with Bretonnians are a nightmare for similar reasons, they simply have zero effective infantry. Hopefully Repanse's bonuses will mitigate this somewhat.

Mr Ray on
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Mr Ray wrote: »

Worth bearing in mind that most of her bonuses only apply to peasant units, and peasants suuuuuck. Which is probably why I could never get a handle on Bretonnians, you're supposed to use the peasants to pin the enemy in place while your cavalry flanks, but peasants simply cannot hold the line against anything. Offensive sieges with Bretonnians are a nightmare for similar reasons, they simply have zero effective infantry. Hopefully Repanse's bonuses will mitigate this somewhat.

I never really had that problem. I use mostly battle pilgrims and foot squires once I can afford them, and put a grail reliquae or hero on any spots in the line where things are going to get hairy. They hold fine.

The grail reliquae aren’t optional though which is where I think people mess up. It gives immunity to psychology which is pretty much required against undead or anything monstrous.

Jealous Deva on
This discussion has been closed.