As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[E3 never] G3 2021: The Great Gerstmann Garage Show

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    The whole "you can share your games" thing with PS4 ate Microsoft's lunch.

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Giant Bomb's yearly sit down with Phil Spencer is going to be so good this year.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »

I wouldn't be surprised if behind the scenes at the Sony conference people were celebrating like NASA during the first moon landing.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Artereis wrote: »
    It's going to feel pretty weird not having a Sony conference.

No artisanal music performance, presumably.

EDIT: "Artisanal" is, in fact, a word.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Yeah I'm none too surprised that Sony is skipping it this year. Last year's conference made it pretty clear they didn't really have anything in the pipe until next Gen.

I'm curious if Microsoft will be in the same boat this year or if they will show off next Gen games. I am like 90% confident Halo: Infinite is next Gen.

I figure this is pretty unlikely, but if they actually unveil the Xbone 2 at this year's E3 that'd make for a pretty memorable E3.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    I think there's a pretty good chance they'll reveal Xbox One II. With no news from Sony to compete, they'll have the news cycle and all the hype for themselves.

• Options
    reVerse wrote: »
    I think there's a pretty good chance they'll reveal Xbox One II. With no news from Sony to compete, they'll have the news cycle and all the hype for themselves.

Yeah it is a very obvious Golden Opportunity. I suppose it all comes down to if they actually have anything workable to show.

Also, please God, let the new Xbox be called the Xbox One II Punch.

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    I love this time of year so much, it's Christmas for gamers.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited May 2019

That was one of the best outright troll videos ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWSIFh8ICaA

Jazz on
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Was last year The Last of Us 2 reveal?

Krathoon on
  • Options
    No, it was revealed earlier. Last year was the friend kiss trailer in the separate venue, followed by an awkward intermission and shuffling everyone to the proper venue.

• Options
    We Happy Few pretty much bombed.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Did it really? Citation? I'm not asking as an objection, I just never followed the game that closely.

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    E3 is my favorite time of year too. I'll really miss Sony at the movie theaters. It was amazing.

The RE7 reveal in a theater was incredible. Shenmue 3/FFVII in the theater had people running up and down the aisles. I'd always take the next day off and stay up late downloading the stealth releases and demos. I'm really bummed its not coming back this year.

I'll probably do a bigger post when I am bored at work, but my biggest E3 hope is The Evil Within 3.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    Henroid wrote: »
    Did it really? Citation? I'm not asking as an objection, I just never followed the game that closely.

It came out as a broken mess and got terrible reviews. I can't imagine it sold particularly well.

Here's what Wikipedia says:
    We Happy Few received "mixed or average" reviews, according to review aggregator Metacritic.

Reviewers highlighted that the game, despite being in early access for years, was buggy and issue-laden: Jim Sterling called the game "a joyless broken disaster" and suggested that it should be recalled. Sterling, having performed some minor voice-over work for the game during its crowdfunding phase, stated his embarrassment of "for having the loosest of loose associations" with the final game. Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw of Zero Punctuation ranked it fourth on the list of the Top 5 Worst Games of 2018.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/We_Happy_Few#Reception

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    Oh man, I will not soon forget the E3 in which the Xbone and PS4 were announced.

Microsoft going on stage and committing public suicide. Followed by Sony simply telling everyone that the PS4 would be like the PS3 but slightly better and then everyone losing their shit in celebration.

Crazy times.

That was funny to watch because it was pretty clear that Sony had planned to announce a lot of the same features, and they watched Microsoft get absolutely demolished and decided 1) okay we can't do that 2) here's the kind of golden PR opportunity that you get once in a century

Microsoft forgetting the age old adage of "don't announce something so long before your competitors that they have time to directly respond."

• Options

To quote Wikipedia,
    "Reviewers highlighted that the game, despite being in early access for years, was buggy and issue-laden: Jim Sterling called the game "a joyless broken disaster" and suggested that it should be recalled. Sterling, having performed some minor voice-over work for the game during its crowdfunding phase, stated his embarrassment of "for having the loosest of loose associations" with the final game.[52] Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw of Zero Punctuation ranked it fourth on the list of the Top 5 Worst Games of 2018.[53]"

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited May 2019

No, it didn't bomb, but it also wasn't a major hit (being known and in the oven long in the oven dried it out, imo) They recently launched some DLC for it featuring the "confirmed bachelors." Haven't had a chance to play it. Not sure if I own it. But it's a game that's around and steady.

Same with Below.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

It came out as a broken mess and got terrible reviews. I can't imagine it sold particularly well.

We Happy Few received "mixed or average" reviews, according to review aggregator Metacritic.

Reviewers highlighted that the game, despite being in early access for years, was buggy and issue-laden: Jim Sterling called the game "a joyless broken disaster" and suggested that it should be recalled. Sterling, having performed some minor voice-over work for the game during its crowdfunding phase, stated his embarrassment of "for having the loosest of loose associations" with the final game. Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw of Zero Punctuation ranked it fourth on the list of the Top 5 Worst Games of 2018.

They also couldn't seem to figure out what the game was. It was announced as a Bioshock style narrative-driven survival horror game, but it launched in Early Access as a straight up survival game with really punishingly tuned hunger/thirst/fatigue/etc meters. Made it unclear what the potential playerbase was meant to be.

The publishing deal with Gearbox that raised the price to $60 after it had been half that previously really didn't help.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular

Project Xcloud.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    That's a pretty good example of how wary people should be when a game is marketed solely on its aesthetic / theme.

• Options
    3clipse wrote: »

They also couldn't seem to figure out what the game was. It was announced as a Bioshock style narrative-driven survival horror game, but it launched in Early Access as a straight up survival game with really punishingly tuned hunger/thirst/fatigue/etc meters. Made it unclear what the potential playerbase was meant to be.

The publishing deal with Gearbox that raised the price to $60 after it had been half that previously really didn't help.

Yeah, the narrative kind of flipped against them due to the changes they made in dev, and the Gearbox thing.

While it would likely haven't done much better as it was in the earlier states (loose narrative hardcore roguelike), it came out better in the end (imo).

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular

It's also bizarre that there's a stack of We Happy Few blind box enamel pins that sits at Target near me.

Like, why does this game merit blind box collectibles?

It kind of reminds me of "Hello Neighbor", a game I have literally not once, ever, heard or seen anyone talk about, but the merch for it is EVERYWHERE inside Target and the like.

Maybe there's a huge swath of people who love We Happy Few...?

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    i was always a bit baffled by the criticism We Happy Few got while in early access. surely holding back on the narrative stuff and focusing on testing, tweaking and refining the fiddly survival mechanics is a pretty good use of early access? get peoples opinions on those aspects while you write the story bits and have voice actors record their dialogue. always seemed like people expected a full package in an early access box.

• Options
    I think it's more that people expect the game to at least resemble a prototype of what was discussed, and the We Happy Few early access was an extremely different game from how it had been described (like, it was a full on roguelike, not a narrative single player game).

• Options
    edited May 2019
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    i was always a bit baffled by the criticism We Happy Few got while in early access. surely holding back on the narrative stuff and focusing on testing, tweaking and refining the fiddly survival mechanics is a pretty good use of early access? get peoples opinions on those aspects while you write the story bits and have voice actors record their dialogue. always seemed like people expected a full package in an early access box.

IDK, the way it was explained at the time, I thought it was dumb that the narrative would pick up from the same spot with a different person.

Like, in Everspace that worked because you're a cloned person with shared memories and all... for We Happy Few, it just seemed off.
    I think it's more that people expect the game to at least resemble a prototype of what was discussed, and the We Happy Few early access was an extremely different game from how it had been described (like, it was a full on roguelike, not a narrative single player game).

We Happy Few is also a good case of unreliability of user feedback. The impetus for a lot of the changes they made came from feedback... that it changed it drastically from what some backers wanted while others didn't want helped and hurt it.
    The way that we looked at this... we were always going to be building a story around it. We launched in Early Access and people said, “This is great! But where’s my story? I’ve got this survival sandbox.” And we were like, “Okay, well, we were building that in the background,” because Early Access is not particularly well-suited to story-based games. Unless you’ve got an episodic model, people don’t want to play just part of a story and that’s really come out a lot in the feedback we’ve gotten over the last two years from players that will say, “Well I played the first couple of versions, but now, actually, I just want to wait and play the full story.”

But the early reception we got – everyone was so enthusiastic and we started getting comparisons to games like BioShock. We were 15 people at the time. So that’s an order of magnitude different from the team that built BioShock. We sort of looked at that and thought we had two options: we can keep building the small game we were thinking of. Or we can say, why don’t we give it a go? Why don’t we build the game we think people are expecting. That’s been the story of the last two years. We scaled up from 15 to 35-40 people internally, and then we have our external QA teams. We have worked and partnered with Gearbox publishing really because at that point we thought, if we’re going to build a big game, we need a partner that actually knows what they are doing and are enthusiastic about the game, because if you’re 15 people you can self-publish and that’s fine. But when you’re making something bigger, we really wanted that support. So we went back and refinanced and did a whole bunch of other stuff. We basically said, “Okay. You want this big old game with this big story? Then we’ll build it.”

Old GI Interview

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
  • Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    http://larian.com/

So the devs of Divinity Original Sin 2 are teasing a 3rd game.

Weird twist though... if the metadata is to be believed its NOT DivOS3.

Its BALDUR'S GATE 3

• Options

Its BALDUR'S GATE 3

hey someone else mind the thread i gotta go change my pants

i spilled something in them

ON THEM. on them.

baldur's gate.

• Options
    Hoo. Go to Avernus in Baulder's Gate 3.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular

Well what's even the point of having a show then? Give it all up let's try again next year.

• Options

Its BALDUR'S GATE 3

hey someone else mind the thread i gotta go change my pants

i spilled something in them

ON THEM. on them.

baldur's gate.

Oh man, I need a nap now.

No reason, y'know, just suddenly feel real tired.

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »

Well what's even the point of having a show then? Give it all up let's try again next year.

maybe its just gonna be an hour of Todd Howard apologizing for Fallout 76?

• Options

If it is an hour of Todd Howard doing this I might watch it.

https://youtu.be/15HTd4Um1m4

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    A video game adaptation of the new Balder's Gate D&D adventure would be great.

The soul coins have Bhaals symbol on them.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular

No I meant E3 in its entirety not just Bethesda's thing.

• Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular

Its BALDUR'S GATE 3

Jason Schreier, excellent reporter at Kotaku, said on ResetEra "In case there was any doubt, a lot of people are privately confirming to me secondhand/obliquely that this is for real. Holy fucking shit."

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

Its BALDUR'S GATE 3

Jason Schreier, excellent reporter at Kotaku, said on ResetEra "In case there was any doubt, a lot of people are privately confirming to me secondhand/obliquely that this is for real. Holy fucking shit."

Oh wow. That just took it from a theory with some decent reasoning to get excited for to "yes this is totes BG3"

Does this mean it will be turn based BG?

Because like.. yea I'd love that.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    The game I'm playing this E3 is "Which games will actually release on this gen and which ones have been pushed back to PS5/Xbox Whatever."

This discussion has been closed.