As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Godzilla, King of the [Movies]

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    So speaking of Disney remakes, I caught that Disney live action remake of The Wicker Man last night. That was something else. The musical numbers were on point, though Dani’s singing voice was a little rough for a Disney princess.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Considering that people are talking about live-action remakes of Disney films, there is remarkably little mention of Polish weirdness The Lure (warning: trailer NSFW):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8IiWjTItmk

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    I'm looking at that gorgeous steelbook release of Mothra, but the bloody thing is only region A and (so far at least) doesn't have a UK release lined up. I has a sad. If I could play that over here (region B), I'd totally pick it up, it's just lovely.

(I don't presently have a region free Blu-ray player, as I rely on consoles for that. I might have to start thinking about getting one at this rate.)

• Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »
    Considering that people are talking about live-action remakes of Disney films, there is remarkably little mention of Polish weirdness The Lure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8IiWjTItmk

Yeah, I was going to post the trailer, but it had some mermaid nudity in it.

It's definitely the best Polish mermaid social commentary/memoir, 80s set musical I've seen in the last few years.

(And worth watching!)

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    So I just noticed Hulu has ALL of the Friday the 13th movies.

I guess I'll watch these because I hate myself and I deserve this.

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    RT800 wrote: »

Awwww shit.

Yeah, I guess that's happening to me, too.

Edit: On the plus side, visiting hulu to verify this led me to a section of hulu called "Huluween" which I never knew existed. I guess it's just a focused section of hulu dedicated to horror. The point is, there's a category named "Spooky, not Scary" and my wife is going to be all over that. So, in a roundabout way, this was a good discovery?

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Mary Poppins Returns has a really silly ending.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Scarlett Johansson: 'I should be allowed to play any person, or any tree, or any animal'
    I thought this was a joke headline at first.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    This winter, Scarlett Johannsen is

The Giving Tree

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    See Scarlett Johanssen like you've never seen her before, this fall in, "Fall for Anything: The Malcolm X Story"

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I thought the point of most Dick was "I'm on ALL THE DRUGS"

or is that just King?
    Dick:
    Drugs drugs I like drugs oh and i guess society has some problems so I’ll mention them in passing but really I’m just all about the Druuuuuuuuuugs in fact why don’t you put the book down and go take some drugs

King: this book doesn’t mention drugs at all but I don’t remember writing any of it because I was zonked out of my gourd for about a decade

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular

I bought the collection that came with the mask and 3d goggles in clearance once when I was out of town for work. I rather enjoyed watching through all of them.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Everyone wants to write fear and loathing.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    I thought the point of most Dick was "I'm on ALL THE DRUGS"

or is that just King?
    Dick:
    Drugs drugs I like drugs oh and i guess society has some problems so I’ll mention them in passing but really I’m just all about the Druuuuuuuuuugs in fact why don’t you put the book down and go take some drugs

King: this book doesn’t mention drugs at all but I don’t remember writing any of it because I was zonked out of my gourd for about a decade

King: I was so high that I thought I made a movie with Lisa Simpson.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    The source of all problems in the Poppins movies.
    The bank. Never trust the bank.

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Lots of King’s books, both during and after his drugs period, are about addiction.

The Shining, Doctor Sleep, and The Tommyknockers are about alcoholism

Misery is about addiction to pills

The Dark Half and Needful Things are less specific but still about addiction (recidivism and recognizing it, respectively)

A fair number of his short stories are about a smoking habit

Broadly speaking the majority of King’s work was about addiction and drugs until he got hit by a van, and then they were pretty much all metaphors for getting hit by a van (Dreamcatcher, From a Buick 8, Lisey’s Story, Duma Key, the last few Dark Towers)

Since then he’s been in a period of pastiche and self-pastiche that seems less personally motivated, although they’re not without their charms

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    The Big Sick: really fucking good.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »

I bought the collection that came with the mask and 3d goggles in clearance once when I was out of town for work. I rather enjoyed watching through all of them.

Reminds me of how I went through all the Resident Evil films before the RE2 remake came out. Holy fuck was that a painful experience, those movies start off bad and then plummet towards stunning depths of terrible. Honestly one of my worst movie experiences, sitting through all those. Especially since I'd watch one, then find out there was another fucking sequel and that happened to me like three times.

Though the Friday the 13th movies can actually be entertaining, even if only for the camp. The RE movie franchise is just pain.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »

It really is. Kumail is great. Ray Romano is surprisingly good. And Holly Hunter is out of this world.

Anupam Kher and Zenobia Shroff are great too, but the greatness of that movie really comes down to the writing and the performances of Holly Hunter and Kumail Nanjiani.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Apparently Stuber is pretty bad. =( I was really looking forward to it, too...

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    Apparently Stuber is pretty bad. =( I was really looking forward to it, too...

It looked terrible, but something cool has come out of it. I was watching Hot Ones interview Kumail and I couldn't get over how swole he is. Apparently, working with Bautista inspired him to get shredded. He's put on 20 pounds and looks sexy.

• Options
    Ketar wrote: »
    ElJeffe wrote: »

It really is. Kumail is great. Ray Romano is surprisingly good. And Holly Hunter is out of this world.

Anupam Kher and Zenobia Shroff are great too, but the greatness of that movie really comes down to the writing and the performances of Holly Hunter and Kumail Nanjiani.

I was also pleased to see Vella Lovell in something (she was one of the potential arrangees) because she's delightful, but the whole movie was just a joy.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Interesting Bond rumor:
    Craig’s Bond will supposedly pass the torch to a new 007, played by Lashana Lynch

https://metro.co.uk/2019/07/14/lashana-lynch-will-introduced-bond-25-audiences-new-007-10287976

i27pku32z89b.jpeg

wandering on
  • Options
    Well, that should at least placate the "Bond's not blonde" camp.

• Options
    edited July 2019
    I said fuck it and I’m sitting waiting for Stuber to start. It’s going to be bad. But man, I can’t help but give a mainstream R-rated comedy that isnt a franchise or straight remake a little bit of support.

May god have mercy on my soul.

Edit: Ha, another Bautista preview. So he’s just gonna be Discount Rock now, right?

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    A black, female 007 with Rami Malek as the villain, written by Phoebe Waller-Bridge.

Can I just preorder my tickets now?

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Eh, the Rock didn't start out with AAA movies either. He's got to work his way up.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Bautista has already been in AAA movies. Once Dwayne got up there, he didn't really stop. (Not to say all his movies were good)

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Stuber wasn't funny, wasn't really that good, but it was a timekiller. Reminds me of Starsky and Hutch '04, in being just generic action comedy that isn't good but isn't outright bad but you can tell it only had ideas from other movies they tried to cobble together for their own purpose. And just a heads up, the best parts were in the trailer (which largely consists of the last 15 minutes)

It's a quasi buddy cop movie; meathead detective doesn't care for anything but the job, gets lasik surgery, but shock! He gets a lead for a drug deal with his sworn nemesis, Rama from The Raid, but he can't drive! And he has to attend his daughter's art exhibit that night too! So he gets Sad! Nice Guy (TM) to Uber him around, and they butt heads but make each other better, awwwww.

The general idea of the movie feels like it was a script made in '03, probably around the same time Jimmy Fallon's smash hit Taxi came out, but no one wanted to touch it until an ex-studio intern found it and just added Uber to the mix. It's just really by the numbers with at least not as much bad improv as you'd expect, Nanjiani is riffing but the film doesn't pause the scenes for asspats like others comedies have done. I mean one character is gone ten minutes into the movie (and the opening was filmed in the same hotel Blockers was which was really glaring and apparent), another character shows up and is easily the real villain because again the main through of the story isn't original, and even the artist daughter angle feels bland and generic and you know what's going to happen at the end but the movie still tries to hide it like it's fresh.

The action scenes aren't that good either but serviceable yet again just feel like copy and paste from other films (they try so hard to make a slow-mo shootout to odd music seem relevant but it's not), and by the end it really does hammer the Uber stuff home to a point where it's too in your face. Also, for a movie that is about Uber it seems very illogical and more plot specific to have the main character drive around in an electric-only vehicle in L.A. That said, there are two funny parts; one was the gun fire/throw gun/catch gun/hit and throw back that was in the trailer, and the other was Drax selling a joke with his confused blind face (You have another program, like Uber Eats? You mean Uber Guns? Uber Bullets?).

90 minutes, nothing to write home about, but probably gonna be one of those FX or Paramount Network movie mainstays in a few months. Watch it then.

• Options
    edited July 2019
    Yeah, on a scale of Fist Fight to Game Night it sits on the lower end. I got enough laughs out of it that I didn't mind driving to the theater for it. The rest of the audience seemed to enjoy it too. Decent enough for a Sunday matinee screening or subscription showing*. It wasn't bad, as the reviews might suggest, IMO. It was just fine.

Not sure how I feel about waiting for it on basic cable, I feel like they use the R rating so it might be worth a legit Redbox or something. Or waiting for Netflix/HBO. Or just skipping altogether.

* - If you've already seen the better movies playing, that is.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    Krieghund wrote: »
    Eh, the Rock didn't start out with AAA movies either. He's got to work his way up.

nyx3rfbehx78.jpg

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Grislo wrote: »
    Krieghund wrote: »

nyx3rfbehx78.jpg

https://youtu.be/KH1V6CHO1Jk

Shot @ 9:15

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Mary Poppins movies are pretty weirdly stuck in the values of their Edwardian setting

Pt 1: The misogynistic and domineering father needs a break from his stressful high-paying job and bothersome activist wife, so let’s hire a nanny to take the children away

Pt 2: The fiscally-irresponsible and emotionally-devastated single father needs fucking therapy, so let’s hire a nanny to take the children away

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Atomika wrote: »
    Mary Poppins movies are pretty weirdly stuck in the values of their Edwardian setting

Pt 1: The misogynistic and domineering father needs a break from his stressful high-paying job and bothersome activist wife, so let’s hire a nanny to take the children away

Pt 2: The fiscally-irresponsible and emotionally-devastated single father needs fucking therapy, so let’s hire a nanny to take the children away

Mary Poppins 1 & 2:
    In pt 1 everyone ends up agreeing that the father needs to stop being so domineering and accept being a father means treating your kids like kids and not clones in training

In pt 2 the father’s financial problems never existed in the first place, ie, things aren’t so bad, they just look that way; the nanny’s magic is either the solution to every single problem or completely irrelevant, depending on how you look at it

Part 1 actually has a good message
    Part 2 is just a complete mess

Astaereth on
    ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    I watched American Psycho for the first time over the weekend, after avoiding it like the plague due to a somewhat traumatic encounter with the novel. (It's probably not good to read a passage at random, lacking context, especially if the passage contains some of the most disgusting violence I'd ever read at that point.) I was surprised to find that I really enjoyed it - and more so at how timely and relevant it felt.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    I watched American Psycho for the first time over the weekend, after avoiding it like the plague due to a somewhat traumatic encounter with the novel. (It's probably not good to read a passage at random, lacking context, especially if the passage contains some of the most disgusting violence I'd ever read at that point.) I was surprised to find that I really enjoyed it - and more so at how timely and relevant it felt.

Its interesting. Like Starship Troops i feel like the director was 50% laughing at the book the whole way through.

• Options
    Not having read more than a couple of pages of the novel, and the most offputting ones at that, I suspect: was the original novel devoid of the satirical humour that the film clearly has?

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    mcdermott wrote: »
    Yeah, on a scale of Fist Fight to Game Night it sits on the lower end. I got enough laughs out of it that I didn't mind driving to the theater for it. The rest of the audience seemed to enjoy it too. Decent enough for a Sunday matinee screening or subscription showing*. It wasn't bad, as the reviews might suggest, IMO. It was just fine.

Not sure how I feel about waiting for it on basic cable, I feel like they use the R rating so it might be worth a legit Redbox or something. Or waiting for Netflix/HBO. Or just skipping altogether.

Funny that you mention Game Night I watched it with my brother on HBO Go a few months ago and was very surprised at how good it was. I was expecting a passable comedy movie and was blown away by how funny it actually was.

Obviously the premise is reminiscent of The Man Who Knew Too Little, but that's not a bad thing. I remember enjoying that movie as a kid.

Zomro on
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Zomro wrote: »
    mcdermott wrote: »

Funny that you mention Game Night I watched it with my brother on HBO Go a few months ago and was very surprised at how good it was. I was expecting a passable comedy movie and was blown away by how funny it actually was.

Obviously the premise is reminiscent of The Man Who Knew Too Little, but that's not a bad thing. I remember enjoying that movie as a kid.

Game Night also has some pretty nice cinematography.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular

The Huey Lewis & The News conversation between Bale and Leto will always be amazing. Bale's expressions during that scene alone are worth a watch.

This discussion has been closed.