As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Godzilla, King of the [Movies]

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    A Darkwing Duck animated movie would be great. And real animation not that CGI crap. Get Mad House to animate it.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    A Darkwing Duck animated movie would be great. And real animation not that CGI crap. Get Mad House to animate it.

I mean. Gargoyles is right there.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Disney crapped out like every marketable live action remake before everyone realzied they're shit

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    "Be Prepared" is the best song in that movie by a mile, booooooo for cutting anything from it.

As far as Pocahontas, the historical rewriting in that movie is problematic as fuck, and I can see Disney being smart enough to not get within 100 yards of a remake in the current environment.

Pocahontas was getting shit when it dropped in the 90s. There's no way it's gonna fly today.

Also Circle of Life > Be Prepared. Fact.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    I think this Telegraph reviewer watched a different scene than me.
    "You might imagine that easy-breezy, Hakuna Matata-chanting middle act would only work when drawn by hand. Yet cinematographer Caleb Deschanel’s expert command of "natural" spectacle and the sheer exuberance of Rogen and Eichner’s performances make it the film’s most purely delightful section."

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    "Be Prepared" is the best song in that movie by a mile, booooooo for cutting anything from it.

As far as Pocahontas, the historical rewriting in that movie is problematic as fuck, and I can see Disney being smart enough to not get within 100 yards of a remake in the current environment.

Pocahontas was getting shit when it dropped in the 90s. There's no way it's gonna fly today.

Yeah if we were rating songs based on "Songs that are NOT Be Prepared"

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Couscous wrote: »
    I think this Telegraph reviewer watched a different scene than me.
    "You might imagine that easy-breezy, Hakuna Matata-chanting middle act would only work when drawn by hand. Yet cinematographer Caleb Deschanel’s expert command of "natural" spectacle and the sheer exuberance of Rogen and Eichner’s performances make it the film’s most purely delightful section."

If that's what they consider the film's "most purely delightful section" just imagine how bad the rest of it must be.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular

That actually makes it a better candidate for a remake imo. That's a movie where there's actually stuff to fix!

• Options
    DunderDunder Registered User regular
    What's next for Disney live-action remakes? They've done Cinderella, Beauty and the Beast, Jungle Book, Dumbo, Aladdin, Lion King, and Mulan. I assume Pocahontas is on deck if they can figure out how to make it not hella racist. Hercules, Tarzan, and Hunchback are also possibilities but I don't think those films are as iconic as Lion King or Aladdin so I doubt they would perform as well. Live-action Pinocchio seems pointless and creepy but then again so did live-action Dumbo. Not sure what else is left?

I can't wait for live-action Toy Story.

Live action Robin Hood. Scene by scene. With everyone in nfursuits

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    wandering wrote: »

That actually makes it a better candidate for a remake imo. That's a movie where there's actually stuff to fix!

To fix Pocahontas, you need to have her captured as a hostage and child bride.

I don't think Disney is touching that.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Pocahontas managed to both sides colonialism.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Dunder wrote: »
    What's next for Disney live-action remakes? They've done Cinderella, Beauty and the Beast, Jungle Book, Dumbo, Aladdin, Lion King, and Mulan. I assume Pocahontas is on deck if they can figure out how to make it not hella racist. Hercules, Tarzan, and Hunchback are also possibilities but I don't think those films are as iconic as Lion King or Aladdin so I doubt they would perform as well. Live-action Pinocchio seems pointless and creepy but then again so did live-action Dumbo. Not sure what else is left?

This movie would have mad residuals from being a cult/fetish classic.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    I thought live action dumbo was ok. At least it was it's own thing with its own story. I thought it was perfectly fine telling of a story.

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

Can You Feel the Love Tonight is foreplay in audible form.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Pocahontas managed to both sides colonialism.

Savages, savages!

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular

Please no. They'll update it by using Hamster Dance for the intro.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    Live action Bambi, using the Lion King as a template. When Bambi's mom gets shot, the camera will linger over her dying corpse as she slowly bleeds out. The NRA will protest that Disney is trying to demonize deer hunting. In the ensuring controversy, the film will make two billion dollars.

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    The Disney monoculture is one of the most disheartening movements in cinema in my lifetime

Excited speculation about which classic they’ll ruin next is like pontificating on the bowel movements of the whale that is digesting you

Reach beyond your spoonfed pablum, people

(It doesn’t have to be Midsommar but it is right there)

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Do you adjust your monocle at me, sir?

• Options
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Do you adjust your monocle at me, sir?

No, sir, I do not adjust my monocle at you, sir, but I adjust my monocle, sir.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular

This movie would have mad residuals from being a cult/fetish classic.

Between foxy Maid Marian and Cheetara my parents were a bit perplexed during the early part of my adolescence.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »
    The Disney monoculture is one of the most disheartening movements in cinema in my lifetime

Excited speculation about which classic they’ll ruin next is like pontificating on the bowel movements of the whale that is digesting you

Reach beyond your spoonfed pablum, people

(It doesn’t have to be Midsommar but it is right there)

If you're upset about Disney monoculture people mocking them should be fine with you.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Disney did a live action Pinocchio a while back, with Jonathan Taylor Thomas in the title role

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Is the reason that noone has mentioned The Little Mermaid yet is because they fear someone at Disney will hear and do it next?

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Disney isn't doing Little Mermaid because Stephen Chow already did it better.

• Options
    QuarterMasterQuarterMaster Registered User regular
    Foefaller wrote: »
    Is the reason that noone has mentioned The Little Mermaid yet is because they fear someone at Disney will hear and do it next?

I have some news for you

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    The Little Mermaid remake has been all over the news lately because racist scumbags are loud and painfully dumb.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    The Little Mermaid remake has been all over the news lately because racist scumbags are loud and painfully dumb.

It seems 100% inevitable that in six months we’ll learn the whole thing was actually started by Russian operatives trying to shitstir.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    I'll watch a live-action little mermaid when Disney sticks to the accurate "disobey your parents and you will suffer and die horribly" story and not the "do whatever you want, some magic fish or some shit will save you in the end, even though you don't deserve it" one they came up with. Seriously what are they teaching kids these days...

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    I'll watch a live-action little mermaid when Disney sticks to the accurate "disobey your parents and you will suffer and die horribly" story and not the "do whatever you want, some magic fish or some shit will save you in the end, even though you don't deserve it" one they came up with. Seriously what are they teaching kids these days...

Doesn't Disney usually teach that animals are your friends, except for disfigured ones, who are always evil?

• Options
    TenzytileTenzytile Registered User regular
    edited July 2019

Disney didn't do it, but the Czechs did in the 70's with some very loud wigs.

Tenzytile on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

There's an anime version somewhere

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »

It seems 100% inevitable that in six months we’ll learn the whole thing was actually started by Russian operatives trying to shitstir.
    One of the people who kicked off the Twitter storm had a stock photo as "her" avatar so I'm gonna say that false flag racism to get your movie trending on Twitter is now marketing strategy

• Options
    ArchangleArchangle Registered User regular

Ponyo?

• Options
    Archangle wrote: »

Ponyo?

No
    https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0070326/

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    cz3t0oybb2gc.jpeg
    Wikipedia wrote:
    The four-panel manga begins with Tatsumi, a high-school boy who lives by himself. Then, a devastatingly handsome merman named Wakasa moves into the bathtub in Tatsumi's home. Wakasa is a bit self-centered but cute, while Tatsumi is cool but a busybody. The manga offers a peek into their lives together.

wandering on
  • Options
    Hold up how does a merman just "move into the bathtub", there aren't any merman-sized routes from the ocean.

Also they've completely avoided mentioning tentacle guy.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    The pink water and fish tail is really distressing. Before I read the description I thought I was looking at 2 dudes getting down in a tub of chum.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Hold up how does a merman just "move into the bathtub", there aren't any merman-sized routes from the ocean.

Also they've completely avoided mentioning tentacle guy.

They assume everyone is just gonna know a manga like that has tentacles in it somewhere.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

Hurricane.

This discussion has been closed.