As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

QUILTBAG: It’s Pride Time

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    They magically appear at the first "m'lady".
    7oerp0k1r3dn.jpg

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Not a lot of people on spiro in Bavraria.

• Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    I bet that smells amazing.

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Small mercies in the UK.

(Maya Forstater is a British woman who lost her job at a think tank for, in her own words, "speaking up about women's rights"--i.e. she tweeted some transphobic nonsense and wrote a Medium article in the same vein. She took it to the Employment Tribunal and they slapped her complaint down hard--basically saying "personal belief" isn't protected when said belief is both inaccurate and harmful.)

• Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    So the manager sponsoring my work's LGBTQ employee resource group retired and now we are sponsor-less and leaderless. Though to be fair we don't have enough members to be an official ERG anyways...

Our retiring sponsor was never particularly interested in recruiting more members and we were kinda stagnating in general. I guess what I'm trying to work through is whether to just let the group disband until there's actually enough interest in it to make a new real group or if we should try and promote our existence to pick up some new blood now that we're in "loose cannon with no one to report to" mode?

Edit: to be clear I really am not excited to take a leadership role in something like this, feels like it should be someone who is not cis and het-passing, but it doesn't seem like anyone else is going to do anything.

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    I just remeasured myself and I am a 42B.

I honestly am speehless.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    Seidkona wrote: »
    I just remeasured myself and I am a 42B.

I honestly am speehless.
    So happy for you! I know the feeling - I just started fitting into 38B. And don't get my prog rocks until Feb...

Came out at work just in time 😅

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    This will surprise no one that follows me on twitter (though I haven't actually said anything it's just pretty obvious imo), I'm bi

I've only actually told like 3 people and I'm not out at all irl, and well, now you all know too

So err, hey

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    hi bi

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    Bi five!

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Hi Bi, I'm dad

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    It’s a Good Day to Bi Hard

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    It's been like a 6 month wait but my first appointment at the trans healthcare clinic for HRT stuff is just over two weeks away! Gonna call them on Monday to confirm my appointment and get details on exactly how to get to the clinic since it's at a hospital, so hopefully no hiccups for it.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    LOL at BBC news feeling like they have to explain the meaning of Pansexualism to the British public.
    I mean, it's only a 2000+ year old thing, that is also easily Google-able by anyone with even half a brain cell.

Also - why the heck is an MP's sexuality even news these days? Paint the whole of parliament in rainbows. No one should care. Pffft. :rotate:

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    I am learning so much from this latest Contrapoints cancel culture video. A long hour and forty minutes, though.
    I had to look up what the heck 'BreadTube' was on Urban Dictionary. Makes me feel old even though I'm a millennial.

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    Yeah I can't in good faith say I am particularly interested in a Contrapoints video right now, not after how much crap she's said recently that propagates further marginalisation of non-binary folks.

• Options
    edited January 2020
    Yeah, she's a deeply flawed human being, but aren't we all? I am. It's what makes us human, (with some) constantly searching for societal validation/redemption.

The way I see it her two real problems are thus:

She needs attention the same way people crave oxygen.
    She thinks that Youtube is a 'job' or viable long term 'career' path.

If I were her I would think that the smart choice would be a job in some kind of academic setting.

Most of all I learned I am way too busy and have too much of a life for all of this internet drama.

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Even if we give her the benefit of the doubt and assume she just completely sucks at vetting guests, there is the issue of how she handled the whole ordeal.

First, I agree with her that an immediate response is not necessary or even ideal, as normally your gut response to people being upset with you is rarely going to be levelheaded. But that does not not mean you monetize your apology/explanation by teasing Patreon access to it while being silent for like two months. That’s just unprofessional.

Second, instead of a video discussing why she did what she did, she decides to staple it onto a larger video about “Cancel Culture,” which is the popular refuge for whenever a person fucks up but doesn’t want to cop to it. And it served its purpose: the Discourse is no longer about why Natalie got binarist jerk Buck Angel on her video. Now it’s a meta discussion on the response to her actions, and you see this because all her cis YouTube friends are talking about bad ol’ cancelling instead of shutting up the hell up and letting trans people have this conversation. And that frankly does not suggest any kind of remorseful or regretful mindset!

It would have fine to have a video on Cancelling, but as a separate video follow-up that divorces itself from the actions that got her in this situation. But you have to address the issue head-on before you do that. Now, time to cross my fingers and hope this post doesn’t end up in one of her future videos with my name blacked out but the text easily searchable because Natalie isn’t some kind of massive hypocrite.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Yeah, uh, I'm completely uninterested in anyone who follows up their own public blow up with a video about cancel culture and breadtube

• Options
    It's honestly not just having that person in a video with her, she's pretty clearly said some shit on twitter and in videos that espouses agreement with the sort of shit they talked about.

and by stepping up to try and deflect the whole discourse onto the people who are upset and troubled by all this, she's effectively setting all her fanbase onto a bunch of NB folks who just shared some thoughts about the topic on twitter. It is... Real bad.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Some More News did a good video on Cancel Culture, specifically how it's not really even a thing.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    I am ideologically opposed to 2 hour youtube essays.

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I too have now googled "breadtube" and I don't think the answers I found about what it is were actually helpful.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Bread tube is broadly speaking, leftist YouTube

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Yeah, I got that from the stuff I read, and on the surface that seems like something I could be into, but it seems like a giant can of worms that I'm probably better off viewing from a distance than trying to get into.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    Yeah, I got that from the stuff I read, and on the surface that seems like something I could be into, but it seems like a giant can of worms that I'm probably better off viewing from a distance than trying to get into.

You could say that for pretty much anything social media related.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    It's just a bunch of people making response videos to some of the alt-right content on Youtube

Also other Youtube personalities which I personally wouldn't include under "leftist Youtube" because that seems like painting with an awfully large brush

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular

Hi hello! I hope y'all are doing well. I have found a good boob angle and also Christine made me a really comfy pencil skirt out of a maxi skirt that was too big to be wearable comfortably and also it's cold outside so hooray for things!

How are you lovely/handsome/whatever comfortable term you approve of nerdos doing?

• Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Really could use some help talking to my kids about my transition. Anyone with experience in here? They are 8 and 4. I've been out everywhere for almost 2 years except the weekends I get with them and it's really starting to wear on me.

I'm not super worried about the 8 year old, but I'm really stressing about the younger.

Neurotika on
  • Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    ForceVoid wrote: »
    Really could use some help talking to my kids about my transition. Anyone with experience in here? They are 8 and 4. I've been out everywhere for almost 2 years except the weekends I get with them and it's really starting to wear on me.

I'm not super worried about the 8 year old, but I'm really stressing about the younger.

When I told mine I laid some preliminary groundwork over the weeks leading up to it. Talk about accepting people who are different, because they're still people. We deserve respect regardless of skin color or height or weight or disability or superpower or who we are attracted to, or how we present.

Then after a few weeks of taking about it I told them and asked if they had any questions. Mostly they just said "oh! Ok can we go back to playing Minecraft?" And I said yes and encouraged them to feel free to ask any questions that came to their minds over time and it's been great. They told their friends when said friends came over to play and it's been relatively chill. I fully acknowledge that I'm stupid lucky in all regards with this.

• Options
    Thank you Erin, how old were your kids? I'm just really hung up on that I guess.

• Options
    Thank you Erin, how old were your kids? I'm just really hung up on that I guess.

Was like...2 years ago? So they would have been 10 and 5

• Options
    One Year anniversary of my name! Oh yeah.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Sterica wrote: »
    One Year anniversary of my name! Oh yeah.

Happy name day!

• Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular

I have always found younger kids have the easiest time with the transition. Kids live in a world with no rules and slowly learn how everything works. I am not saying it's guaranteed to be easy, but if you are patient I would expect it all to work out. There may or may not be follow up questions as they get older and process information in new and exciting ways, but kids do that with literally everything as you have certainly experienced by now.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Also I think part of it is, like, kids kinda just understand that the rules and what's "true" changes over time. Like, we do it to them on purpose. From the time you first start learning low level chemistry stuff like phases of matter and what atoms look like, by the time you graduate high school that information is completely different. And often the explanation is "well, there's new information" or "well what we told you before was more a gist, this is a more complete explanation" and most of the time they just roll with it.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Hiya LGBT thread. I'm in a hospital bed recovering from lower surgery. After a journey/fight of almost ten years, I am in the proud possession of my very own vagina! Woo! :D 8-) Typing this is tricky with an IV line in one hand! :P

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    Washing painkillers down with a swig of hot chocolate. Big mood. :P

• Options
    Congratulations!

This discussion has been closed.