Options

QUILTBAG: It’s Pride Time

• Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Hmm. Libraries tend to attract people from a wide range of backgrounds and viewpoints and levels of stability. Pretty much what I can promise is "I can't guarantee that a fellow patron won't say horrid things to you, but I can guarantee that we'll make them leave if they do." In my case, would "friendly" still be an applicable modifier?

Edit: I'm thinking specifically of the old dude we banned for yelling racist shit at a couple of scared teenagers last summer. Like, he can't come back, but that doesn't untraumatize those kids, you know?
    To me, yes. It's extremely valuable knowing that the establishment you're in has your back (and declares so openly). I'd feel safer, especially with things like bathrooms.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    I also think those people are less inclined to come to something advertised as Queer As Fuck Yoga

• Options
    MsAnthropyMsAnthropy The Lady of Pain Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm The City of FlowersRegistered User regular
    The Sauce wrote: »
    Hmm. Libraries tend to attract people from a wide range of backgrounds and viewpoints and levels of stability. Pretty much what I can promise is "I can't guarantee that a fellow patron won't say horrid things to you, but I can guarantee that we'll make them leave if they do." In my case, would "friendly" still be an applicable modifier?

Edit: I'm thinking specifically of the old dude we banned for yelling racist shit at a couple of scared teenagers last summer. Like, he can't come back, but that doesn't untraumatize those kids, you know?
    To me, yes. It's extremely valuable knowing that the establishment you're in has your back (and declares so openly). I'd feel safer, especially with things like bathrooms.

Yeah, affirmative language is inviting, IMO... provided the library doesn’t also decide hosting a bunch of TERFs in the name ‘free speech’ sounds just spiffy.

Luscious Sounds Spotify Playlist

"The only real politics I knew was that if a guy liked Hitler, I’d beat the stuffing out of him and that would be it." -- Jack Kirby
  • Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular

For me it would be, and I welcome those modifiers in activities that could invite shitty attitudes. The big catch for me is making sure all the staff is on board. Like if the people I interact with frequently as staff become sketchy about being supportive I tend to just bail. I could fight to have the institution change, but it is rare for me to want to start a fight I might never have had a chance of winning. It tends to start with "Well what if..." or "We need to consider..." and tends to go down hill fast from there.

As an example, I work at an in-patient facility that bills itself as trans friendly. Has all these nice questions on forms people don't ask, or pay attention to. The kicker it comes to assigning rooms all they really consider are your genitals. What if something happens, you see. And we really need to consider how vulnerable the cis people in the facility are. I very much correct this notion they are friendly as a result. Management wants to play nice, and the on the ground people fuck it up.

I don't mean to say I think either of you would let shit like this slide. Just as a thing to look out for, and maybe solicit feedback on if you can.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I'm on holiday, meaning I'm coming into contact with a lot more people I don't know than usual. I'm getting read as male 100% of the time if I'm wearing a hoody, and 60% of the time if not. It's been useful, as back home I don't interact with many people, and nobody really uses sir/ma'am so it's harder to judge anyway.

Could do without my parents fucking it up all the time by referring to me as she/daughter after someone's already called me sir. Or loudly calling me by my deadname literally as someone is reading my passport which is in my actual name. But of course I don't want to say anything to them because I don't want to make it a thing while on a holiday with them.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Tell me it's a hoody with a design that makes you look like an actual T-Rex. :P

Also I got dead-named by my hospital, after notifying them twice in nine years and being assured (both times) that their databases had been corrected. Bunch of lying liars.

Time to go all GDPR on their assholes.

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Sadly it's just a plain black hoody. But if hoodies are the key to getting reliably gendered correctly then I guess I need to acquire a few more, so maybe I can get one with a t-rex on.

I've always really liked hoodies. Now I know why.

• Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    hoodies are my armor, man. everyone needs a comfort hoodie or three

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Huh. I just realized that I don't have any hoodies at the moment. They all wore out. These days I mostly just do flannel over a tshirt if it's too cold for short sleeves but too warm for my big coat.

I probably need a hoodie.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    everybody needs a hoodie or two

get it one size too big so you can snuggle up into it

edit: my hoodie has Souichi from the Junji Ito manga on it!

Depressperado on
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    So happy you get gendered correctly Smof

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    I really like a zip-up hoodie. Pullovers run the significant risk of tummy exposure and no one wants to see that.

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Tummy exposure is fine, as long as its an appropriate setting.

Body scars? Stretch marks? All part of the beautiful human body.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    Took a flight today and think I had my first instance of my passport confusing someone. Up until now nobody seemed to notice anything weird.

Go up to the desk, "Hello sir."
    Give him my passport to look at, "Thank you, miss."
    As I leave "Goodbye sir."

I guess it's good to have all your bases covered

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Things have improved greatly with my girlfriend. It was mostly the strain of the LDR. It will not be too long before I live near her though.

It really does show the importance of communication in poly relationships.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    I know it's corporate and therefore a tinge of cynicism but

This ad from Starbucks made me legit cry. I couldn't even explain to mom why I was crying, just told her to go watch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=60&v=7TEg6q1a3DE&feature=emb_logo

I just want y'all to know that you are all loved. So very very loved.

Edit sorry I fail at links. It's a commercial about the importance of names

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    It legit makes me wince everytime they're dead named.

As a side note getting coffee and having a name called out is a great way to test new name candidates if you have a few you like.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    Just had to block a cousin. Dude was all appearances of welcoming acceptance / ally when I first came out, but then the rumbles about "transtrenders" started. And eventually exploded this morning into a cisplaining nightmare where I got accused of being an agenda-pushing Southern bigot for not believing that particular myth, which, to be fair, is the most incredible act of mental gymnastics I've ever witnessed first-hand. What is up with cishet faux-ally men and their need to "explain" shit to us?

This following an expected but nonetheless degrading experience last month of an aunt on the other side of the family telling my mom that I'll have to face God's judgment. She made that swift declaration as an immediate response to my mom thanking her for not saying anything harmful when the news was first communicated!

I know I'm lucky that it's just a few people who are, at this point, rather remote in my life anyway. Still hurts.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Super, super cool when people duck behind God to render judgment.

"They'll face God's judgment! Not mine mind you, I'm fine and tolerant, but you just watch out when you pass because hoo boy will God have some stuff to say, I'm pretty sure."

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    last night I went to a bar, under duress.

I got in a convo with this old fella because my nails were painted, and I thought it was going to go poorly.

Instead, he lifted the cuff of his jeans to show me he was wearing fishnets

he said we're both "queer young men with the world in front of us"

• Options
    That is a delightful story

• Options
    Hypothetical: A couple of weeks back, my work had a department function at the big touristy place that we rented and had cater for us for the evening.

One of the boys working the bar had painted nails of a variety of colours and my intuition for such things is usually 50/50. I believe he could have been on the queer spectrum? I can't assume a lot of cishet guys paint their nails unless they're like, musicians or work in the arts somehow.

• Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    I guess the followup question is, "does it matter?" Compliment them on their nails and if conversation happens, let it happen

• Options
    It doesn't matter to me on a like/dislike thought. Expression is great however you want to present yourself. I missed the opportunity to chat him up and compliment him on his nails anyway so it's all moot now.

I guess if anything, I'm kicking myself for not saying something? It could have at least led to an interesting chat, though there was so much noise, it would've been difficult to really have one. He was working, and it was a very club-like environment. Conversation with someone right in front of you meant having to lean in.

• Options
    mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    I think even if they were straight, if they're painting their nails they're not going to take male flirting badly.

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • Options
    Just had to block a cousin. Dude was all appearances of welcoming acceptance / ally when I first came out, but then the rumbles about "transtrenders" started. And eventually exploded this morning into a cisplaining nightmare where I got accused of being an agenda-pushing Southern bigot for not believing that particular myth, which, to be fair, is the most incredible act of mental gymnastics I've ever witnessed first-hand. What is up with cishet faux-ally men and their need to "explain" shit to us?

This following an expected but nonetheless degrading experience last month of an aunt on the other side of the family telling my mom that I'll have to face God's judgment. She made that swift declaration as an immediate response to my mom thanking her for not saying anything harmful when the news was first communicated!

I know I'm lucky that it's just a few people who are, at this point, rather remote in my life anyway. Still hurts.

Transtrenders are... people who claim to be trans because it’s trendy?

Oh god what a dumb thing to be believe in

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular

A few years ago I was forced to endure a conversation with a person who insisted they weren't transphobic but just thought that doctors and parents were pushing non-trans people into transitioning and as I've actually listened to people who go through the process it was such obvious bullshit and he just wouldn't hear objections.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Big Trans, the corporation all trans people buy their medicine from, needs more customers.

clearly.

• Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    Yeah, I had a friend from high school catch back up with me recently, and in the process of discussing people we'd both known back in the day they were still in contact with, they went hard on all this transtrender nonsense about another old friend who is now a trans man. And I was like... hold up, he came out 12 years ago, has been living openly as a guy in his professional life and with his family since then, shows every sign of being thrilled to be alive when he was non-stop depressed back before he came out, and you're still going to try to say it's a "phase" and that he's just being manipulated by his boyfriend, and misgender and deadname him a bunch of times?

It was an especially big downer, because the friend telling me this was the first non-binary person I ever knew, the first person I ever heard of asserting they/them pronouns back in the mid 90's, and played a huge influence in broadening my mind and dragging me out of my absolutely wretched Young Republican period. Even though it took me another 15 years after that to admit to myself that I was bisexual, a lot of the groundwork was laid by this friend who I'm pretty sure figured me out way before I figured myself out. It's just so shitty to see someone who was once such a trailblazer and force for inclusivity turn around and become a gatekeeper instead.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2020
    The whole Big Pharma is Gonna Make You Trans schtick is really silly when you realize it already sells plenty of bullshit medications that are a much easier pitch than HRT.

Like, they literally sell hormones to people who already make those hormones. And it makes way more sense to sell a dude testosterone as a cure-all as opposed to something with very noticeable side-effects like estrogen. You look up HRT, and the results tend to be for menopausal women.

Acting like trans medication is some kind of cash cow is absolutely absurd when cis people are already a larger demographic for hormone meds than we are.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular

"Oh don't you know being assaulted in public is what's popular these days."

Pfft.

• Options
    As yes I certainly recall* the large number of people who faked being bi or gay for the cultural cachet it conferred back in the 00’s

*am not aware of a single instance of this occurring

• Options
    Except of course when people pretended to be gay to get out of a date in late 90s/early 00s sitcoms

And even then wacky shenanigans ensued

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    A loooot of transphobic garbage is just rebranded homophobic garbage from 20 years ago.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Went to the nail salon today and then later bought some new shoes. Some boots for kicking nazi's with and some cute little plimsolls I might customize a bit.

Nails:
    2ydrowhsdefq.jpg

Woman at the salon was very chatty, bi, and really into the 'Fable' series/trilogy. Like, that's the only console games she's ever played, apart from mobile/app store games!
    She had no idea Fable 4 is in development, after Lionhead was shut down when 'Legends' was cancelled. I think I made her day. :D

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    those nails look fresh as hell!

I also had no idea that Fable 4 was a thing!

• Options
    edited February 2020
    Today is my one year anniversary of starting T. Would like to celebrate somehow, it feels more important to me than my actual birthday, but I'm going to be stuck in airports and on planes all day and night.

Obligatory photos!

I don't think I really look any different, just older and more tired, heh.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Nah bru your whole head has changed shape. Big difference imo, maybe you’re too used to seeing it to notice the changes. Look at how your jaw is squaring out.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    You look great, dude!

• Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    smof, you look more like your avatar than i would've ever imagined.

This discussion has been closed.