As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Girls' Frontline [GFL]: Longitudinal Strain Story event is live

• Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    416/shrimp
    jill/Dorothy
    FAL/blank?

i mean i wouldn't recommend running double grenadier unless you know you're fighting like 60 scouts but

• Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    SR-3MP is shrimp, right?

• Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    Yes.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    Oh nice, I got Ameli from farming Pioneer for White Knights shards.

• Options
    Ok I finally level up and tuned up my squad, once I get out of work, I will try to finish this event once and for all!

BTW: Do anyone knows if story event can happen again? (like Deep Dive or Cube+) I know they give dolls, but I also want to play them for the lore. I´m only aware that Artic Warfare is permanent.

@CrimsonJazz
    I'm anxious for news. Did you have any progress with clearing the map that was giving you trouble?

I'm sure that I'm not the only one who wants to see you clear the event story and who wants to offer whatever advice that you may need to succeed. I noticed that the event shop contains a few more cans of beer that can be used to boost your exp even more if needed (not to be confused with the tea, although dolls with maxed happiness get a small stat boost and dolls with zero happiness get a small stat penalty)

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    l_gl_g Registered User regular
    Every time Dana fires, is she considered to have "reloaded" for the sake of Jericho's buff?
    Is it necessary to actually finish the level that Sei and Stella drop in, or can you kill the drone that can drop Sei and then immediately restart if she doesn't drop / terminate if she does?

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • Options
    You can restart and just kill the units that drop her. It's how I got her.

• Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    l_g wrote: »
    Every time Dana fires, is she considered to have "reloaded" for the sake of Jericho's buff?
    Is it necessary to actually finish the level that Sei and Stella drop in, or can you kill the drone that can drop Sei and then immediately restart if she doesn't drop / terminate if she does?

Its a question of how many resources/time you want to use per run. But yeah, you can just kill the one bomb mob, then terminate. A less resource intensive way is to deploy a "dummy" echelon that is just hand gun. This allows you to retreat your bomb killing echelon at a helipad, so that you don't lose the resources when you terminate. It just takes more clicks/time.

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Retreating is arguably worth it for Stella since you'll need to use more expensive farming echelons. But the black bomb that you defeat when farming Sei can be killed by a single handgun (literally a single link if sufficiently leveled, but lower level with multiple links works too).

Set up your formation so that the handgun is not in the center row so that she'll have maximum time to shoot at the bomb

Edit:
    The bomb will detonate if it collides with one of your dolls, but will simply keep walking if the path is clear.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    Thanks for all the replies!

Anybody have any idea about the Dana shotgun rules re: reloading?
    It also seems that even though she doesn't benefit from the damage multiplier on slug ammo, the accuracy boost on the slug ammo is enormous relative to her base accuracy, which may make slug ammo worth taking anyway. On the other hand, if she gets the full Jericho bonus in literally 3 shots, the bonus damage from buckshot ammo becomes quite substantial.

• Options
    I don't think Jericho's skill is very useful in this context. Shotgun are usually pretty bad sources of damage. However if I'm interpreting Dana correctly, her attack is kinda unique as a single target shotgun attack where normally they're hit multiple targets. So she might be one of the few cases where you just prefer using slugs. 99% of the time you want buckshot to hit as many targets as possible and hopefully knock back more enemies.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    HadesHades Registered User regular
    Her skill says it doesn't stack with slugs.

• Options
    Guess I overlooked that. I know that shotguns do reload, because Elphelt normally is reloading right about the time that her skill should activate which further delays its activation. But I'm not sure about Dana. I haven't used her and she's not on my list of units to invest resources into right now.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    I have been hella busy these past two weeks and am probably just going to miss the drop exclusive dolls altogether. I'm struggling just to get auto-farms in.

I was thinking, there is a faster way to get your daily shards but it is more demanding than simply doing the auto battles on "Pioneer"

The alternative method is for E1-7 "Truth or Dare. " You need the following:
    1: a fairly strong echelon, probably a rifle team
    2: a parachute fairy capable of traversing three tiles (I forget if skill level 1 can do that. Mine are level 10 and I can't get the wiki to load)
    3: a willingness to burn 30 fairy commands.

Deploy the rifle team at the hq, paradrop to the western helipad, and immediately fight the two manticore squads to capture the enemy HQ. The rifle team needs to be strong to get a clean clear since using the paradrop skill inflicts a hefty debuff to the echelon. One turn, two fights, 10 shards. Do that six times.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    I only needed about 20 tries of blowing up the bomb for Sei to drop. That was a lot easier than expected....

• Options
    CrimsonJazzCrimsonJazz Registered User regular
    @General_Armchair Thank for your good wishes General I finally did it!!!!

You guys don´t know how devastated I felt after beating Anna the first time (Only God know after how many tries)... Just to realize I need to finish the map twice, and on my second run just after defeating her I realize my squad was without night vision equipment... I don´t even know what to say, it was a nightmare.
    But it was worth it, the end was so good, man all other event will need to gear up story wise, because this one was on the top.

Now, to farm!!!

• Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    Hah that's nearly what my wife did. She limped through it once, having me do the boss fight. Afterward I asked if she had night equip on because it took much longer than expected. Second time was so much easier, she probably didn't need to grind so much beforehand.

I enjoyed the story too, it was nice and weird.

• Options
    edited August 2019
    The oscillation between day and night maps messed with me too. Especially because many of the "day" maps still had dark blue backgrounds. Glad to hear that you made it through!

If anyone in TV-land is having trouble, speak up and share a few screenshots of your echelons. We're entering the final week and are running out of time to patch up problems if your teams are struggling. But with the supply of beer that they provide at the start of the event and in the shop, it should still be feasible to power up some rifles quick to deal with the doppelsoldners that seem to cause most of the trouble.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    I'm personally stuck in Pioneer EX. I'm fairly certain that I need two 90 combat squads to get anywhere though. I am closeish but I'm short on cores.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Pioneer ex seems to be one of the big hurdles of the Ex maps. IMO they mostly get easier after that. Having a top tier set of rifle teams that can just style on the dopelsoldners helps a lot. I was making a mad dash to bring M200 and Grape Carcano online to deal with the dopelsoldners, but then I just took advantage of my two parachute fairies to establish a foothold on that southern row of helipads. Then I just captured them all to cut off the reinforcements from the source. I missed out on S-ranking the mission because I made some silly mistake somewhere, and I haven't decided yet if I'm going to go back in to attempt an S-rank clear or not.

Edit:
    IIRC, girl's Frontline corner has an alternative solution. Applying my paradrop fairies just seemed like a straightforward solution that was available to me.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I don't have parachute fairies so that's out.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    I mean s-ranking event maps is pointless unless it's for the stage clear drop because you don't get anything like a medal for doing it

• Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    Yeah, I've been stuck on Pioneer EX, while trying to bring up my rifle eschelon, but I only have one decent one (G28 and M14 in the low 80s) and one just getting started since I got WA2000 (SVD and WA2000 are around level 45ish). Do you guys think it worth it to use the beer that they gave us for the event to pump up the levels of my rifles to try and get past Pioneer EX? I'm always hesitant to spend one off things like that. And I still need to unlock the hidden stage* too.

Does Jill need to be a specific level to do that, or can she just be carried by others?

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    Jill needs to be level 80 to cheese the hidden map since she needs to mix a specific drink for the battle and you can't do that until you have all three equipment slots unlocked, which happens at level 80. Which just so happens to be equivalent to the xp that you can get from the free beer that they have you.

Aside from that convenience, there is nothing special about the beer. It's just a Jumbo sized combat report.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    104 attempts for Stella and still no sign of her. This bloody game...

But at least I rolled a Vector.

• Options
    So tomorrow we're supposed to get new types of pets like turtles, hamsters, and baby seals. Talk about the Expedition system on the CN client, combined with my battery total bumping into 9999, has gotten me on a bit of an adopting spree.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    Welp it took 191 tries but I got Sei, now lets begin the quest for Stella, btw does anyone knows what the Mulan Tea does?

• Options
    Mulan Tea boosts a doll's happiness. A very low priority item from the event shop IMO.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    There's one thing I'm confused about. For those farming runs that involve a lot of resetting. What about when you finally get the drop? Do drops carry over from resets? Or do I actually have to finish the run that time?

makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    You can go ahead and immediately quit out of the match once the desired target drops. Once it drops, it's yours. After all, you'll recall that you keep all of the many 2* dolls that drop during your reset runs and that you periodically need to clear out your inventory as they clog it up.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Oh awesome, that's a whole bunch of enhancement fodder for me then. I'm going to need it because I'm about 20 levels shy of 70 on my main echelon. 1-7 is going to be a nasty wall for me.

makosig.jpg
  • Options
    Stella came home! I lucked out and got her at 67 runs. I wasn't expecting her until ~100 runs. For what it's worth, my squad with the rescue fairy brought her home. I think that just leaves the hidden map, the furniture gacha, and an attempt to roll a duplicate of Sei on my to-do list.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    Got Stella on the 105th try. Complaining works!

• Options
    Does someone knows how to farm the other dolls? I want the Suomi (because cute factor)

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Does someone knows how to farm the other dolls? I want the Suomi (because cute factor)

Same way you would farm any other drop. Find which enemy units drop it (long press on the enemy and a drop list will show up in the upper right hand of the screen), kill the enemies with a chance for dropping, and either complete the mission, or retreat if a viable option.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options

An alternative way to check who drops what is to click on "combat summary>rewards list" in the upper left corner of the screen, and then click on one of the rewards. This will highlight every enemy on the map who is capable of dropping that reward.

In the case of Suomi, it looks like the optimal route is to deploy an echelon and move it into the path of the enemy Rodelero squad. The Doppelsoldner at the top of the map can drop her too, but I've never seen anything to suggest that the mobs have different drop rates for the limited units, so it isn't worth your time to engage him. Instead restart the map and take out the Rodelero squad again.

Since you may end up doing this 100+ times, resource consumption can be a bit of an issue. If possible it is sometimes preferable to withdraw your combat echelon from a helipad before restarting the match to preserve resources. However the one-way-paths prevent you from doing that on this map, so you're stuck taking the resource hit. To do what you can to mitigate resource consumption, you may want to trim your echelon down to a skeleton team. If I were using my dolls, I would probably send a squad of handguns or perhaps an AR supported by up to two handguns. Don't weaken your squad too much though, since IIRC you need to win the fight with an S-rank to qualify for limited drops

That's basically how these limited doll farms always work out. Find the quickest path to knock out one or two of the mobs that can drop the target, send the least resource hungry team that you have that can still S-rank the fight, and then restart the battle.

Good luck on getting Suomi. She's a relatively rare craft. I will mention that the other two limited drop dolls, ART556 and M1887, are not present in the crafting pool and at this time are only occasionally available as limited drops from events like this. Neither of them are earth-shattering from a performance perspective though. IMO just focus on first getting the collab dolls and then grab Suomi since you like her.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    Piece of advice for people grinding out for the Stella drop:
    Having Sei in your party definitely helps. Sei's shield ability even at low level (like, level 2) can absorb the big laser beam that that robot shoots in its entirety, and I don't think links matter (my Sei has no dummy links). This eliminates accidental damage from the beam as well as the loss of DPS from your squads moving around, overall resulting in much lower resource cost and savings in time/frustration.

• Options
    HadesHades Registered User regular
    Finally beat Pioneer ex. What a pain that map was.

• Options
    Hades wrote: »
    Finally beat Pioneer ex. What a pain that map was.

Pioneer EX is probably the hardest actual map in the EX stages; if you can clear that you should be able to beat all the following stages all the way to Last Rain EX without major issues

so congrats, you're over the hump!

• Options
    Ok after 192 times (1 more than Sei) I finally got Stella, the mini Stellas that follow her around make all the effort worth it.
    I will try to get Suomi but overall, I´m happy to get all the event dolls.

Is there anything special that can be done with 5* dups beside dummy linking and save cores? I got some of them laying around but dunno what to do with them.