As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Girls' Frontline [GFL]: Longitudinal Strain Story event is live

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    Is P90 supposed to be real good as well?

Yes, she's supposed to be a great smg and she's notorious for being really rare. He drop rate will increase for a short rate up period after she's added to the construction pool. Pay close attention to the dates in the announcements. Usually the dolls are added to the pool on the Tuesday reset, but the rate up period normally doesn't start until the weekend.

Noted.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    What's driving me crazy is that we're also supposed to get AN-94 and AK-12 soon. They're superb AR's who are also rare. I'm torn between making an attempt at p90, or just keep stockpiling for the Russians.

The general rate up will boost 5 star drop rates in general, so it's really tempting to roll for those too. Especially the fairy rate up.

I haven't decided what to do. I may end up saving for AN-94/AK-12, and hold off until the next anniversary in the hopes that they give us another true core mask as part of the anniversary celebration again (which is a wildcard item that can be exchanged for a craftable 5* of your choice). There's also a chance that p90 might be a candidate for a rescue event. Grape/contender were rescue candidates a few months back. Decisions decisions.

I wish that I had as many tdoll contracts as I did equipment contracts (~300 vs 1000)

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    Just a reminder that this is the last weekend before the VA-ll HALL-A collab ends.

For those of you who have reached the EX stages, IIRC there is an achievement for E1-2 Adolescence EX where you can get a bundle of resources if you can complete the map without engaging the enemy in combat. So you may as well attempt that to add some goodies to your resource supply.

For those who haven't completed the story or farmed sei/stella, then this is the final stretch to do so. If anyone is still struggling with the story, please speak up so that the forum can provide what advice that we can. There's precious little time to level up new units from scratch, but we might be able to point you in the right direction to push you over the edge to victory.

Once again, I recommend the play by play guides at Girls' Frontline Corner: https://www.gflcorner.com/girls-frontline-x-va11-hall-a-collaboration-guide-by-gfc/

Additionally, here is a video guide of someone beating the event with level 70 2* dolls, green equipment, and no fairies:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ts1phZg5g20

The event shop will remain open for an additional two weeks after the event ends. If you haven't been keeping up with your daily armor fragment grinding, then remember that everyone will receive an additional 60 fragments once the event ends because of the widespread technical difficulties that occurred on day 1 of the event. You should be able to take those 60 into account when determining which items to purchase from the shop.

As far as purchasing priority goes, I'd roughly rank the value as follows:

1: Collab Units (with Dorothy and her MIRD Class 5 round equipments viewed by some as the most potent purchases from the shop)
    2: Anna Fairy (1 copy)
    3: Unique Equipment (debatable if you should prioritize the equipment or the fairy copy. If you really like the units and plan to use them, then prioritize their equipment. If you think that you'll just collect the unit rather than use it in combat, then grab the fairy before the gear)
    4: The Pet
    5: Cosmetics, duplicate Anna Fairies, batteries, beer on discount, and Mulan Tea are the least valuable items depending on your own priorities (IMO Mulan tea or the cosmetics are the least valuable depending on if you like collecting cosmetics or not)

If you have been keeping up with the daily fragment grind, then you should be able to simply clear out the shop's entire inventory.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    BluecyanBluecyan Buzz.. Buzz Buzz? BUZZ! Buzz buzz BuzzRegistered User regular
    Haven't been playing much but I managed to finish the normal part of the event. It was pretty ugly though, only two echelons that could really fight and even then not for more than four or five rounds before needing to get repaired. Managed to get the two teams that could fight, healthy enough to survive and set up above and below the node only to forget enemy encirclement happens first (that northern uber mob running in circles is terrible for setting up supply lines) and having to basically reset. Lost a lot of affection but now I have Jill, sadly no beer for her, my main team needed it. Not even going to try for EX stuff, probably will be happy with Dorothy and her equip. Despite an actually decent story (for a mobile game) the actual missions aren't very fun to grind. Too much fiddleness.

echelon 1 is my main team and think its coming along nicely:
    Fal, ST AR-15, M4A1, SAA, UMP45 set up in a cross formation with M4A1 in the back.

echelon 2 was set up for fighting mech stuff from the Cube event and has a few budget team members that probably should be replaced:
    Carcona, T5000, M14, Welrod and Skorpion

Everyone is 80+ now in the main two teams and FAL is getting pretty close to 90 which should help a lot.
    I have WA2000 in my level up squad and seems like the obvious replacement for M14. Debating if I should try and finish up echelon 2 or bring up another AR/SMG team (OTs-14 and GR G11 are also sitting in my level up team along with one of the other Anti Rain dolls).

• Options
    Oh dear, I just found out that some of my information was false. I had been repeating that Jill needed to be level 80 for the hidden fight since she needed all of her equipment slots to mix "Big Beer" since that's Dana's favorite drink. However it seems that you can complete the fight without mixing that drink at all. It looks like even the default no-equipment "sugar rush" drink is sufficient for winning the fight.

For what it's worth, "Big Beer" is still the recommended drink if you can mix it since Dana packs a punch and it's a long winded fight, so the bonus armor from Big Beer will go a long way towards keeping your shotguns afloat.

Sorry about that everyone.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Apologies for the double post, but I want to make an announcement about the new minor event that started today. The "Entrance Exam" point event.

cdx24rdg8kcq.jpg
    New sets of challenges will be made available every week. Complete those challenges to get rewards. The flagship prize is the 5* Rifle "SRS."

For those of you who are new to point events, there are a few things worth noting about the challenges:
    • You don't need to complete the challenges during the week that they're introduced. You see that "Craft 100 dolls" challenge? It's probably best to hold off on your crafting spree until P90 and the new batch of dolls are added to the crafting pool. I don't have a date for when that happens, but I suspect that it will happen before the point event ends.
    • You can for the most part complete the challenges at your own pace. However some challenges such as daily logins or "consume combat sim energy" are impractical to accomplish if you don't make some progress towards them daily.
    • You don't need to complete all of the challenges to get the important prizes. These things are historically setup in such a way that you can get all of the good stuff even if you completely skip the "spend tokens" challenges or the RNG related challenges such as "craft X 5* units"
    • Remember how some people made a hullaballo about liking people's dorms? One of the challenges that can show up in these events is "receive X likes for your dorm." For this particular point event, week 1 doesn't have that type of challenge, but weeks 2 or 3 might. If it does appear in the subsequent weeks, then it is considered good form to like everyone's dorm on your friends list every day as a matter of courtesy.

iwyifuzcdsmr.jpg

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Really kicking myself for starting the Valhalla collab so late, only have enough time to get two pieces of equipment and one copy of Anna (or one equipment and two copies of Anna, undecided) after getting all the dolls

Got Sei after 200+ attempts, now I'm in Stella farming hell

Maddoc on
  • Options
    l_gl_g Registered User regular
    Sei took only a little over 20 attempts for me, but to make up for that Stella took nearly 250 tries... but I was only killing one enemy that could drop it as opposed to 2 or 3 with each attempt.

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • Options
    @Maddoc
    IMO, don't get two copies of Anna. Event fairies are a bit easier to merge up than normal fairies, and Anna isn't a game-breaking fairy anyway. She's roughly on par with the warrior fairy. Most of her power comes from her skill, which extra Anna copies won't help you with. With you in a budget crunch, I don't think a second copy of anna can be justified at all. The special equipment are all upgrades compared to what the collab dolls could otherwise equip in those slots. Also, incase you aren't already including it in your arithmetic, we'll be receiving an extra 60 shards once the event ends because there were widespread technical difficulties on Day 1. That may allow you to get an extra piece of equipment if you weren't already accounting for that extra 60 in your budget. Best case scenario that means anna and three out of the five equipment pieces.

If you know that you intend to use specific dolls, then IMO you should get their gear since they're all pretty much straight upgrades over alternatives that they could equip. However some of the upgrades may be less relevant than others. Here's my take on the equipment, and I'd appreciate if anyone else could chime in with their own assessment of the gear.
    • Dorothy may be one of the collab dolls with the most meta potential right now, and her MIRD-5 rounds are a pretty big step up over normal hollowpoint rounds.
    • Stella's skills really seem centric around proccing as many hits as possible, so her prosthetic eye's +ROF buff is probably highly desireable for her. Although it has the same movement speed downside as camo capes, which is penalizing enough that many rifle teams eschew equipping anything in that slot whatsoever. I suspect that Stella wants to use her eye and to only partake in fights where the MS penalty isn't so bad.
    • Sei's exo gives her evasion that's near T-exo levels (off by 1), but without the damage penalty. So this kinda helps her damage. However I don't know if she really needs this? Handguns don't normally provide that large of a percentage to your overall damage, so the damage penalty of using a T-exo may not hurt you much. Also, if you were using her in a formation that didn't have her as the center of enemy attention, then she may be able to make due with an ordinary X-exo to avoid the damage penalty.
    • Dana's prosthetic arm just gives her bonus damage over plate armor. But her basic attacks can only hit one enemy, and shotguns usually aren't that big of an impact on your damage. I'm not sure if the extra damage would ever really matter much? It will increase the damage of her AOE attack, but that attack doesn't seem very damaging either.
    • Alma's hands look like pretty asweome pieces of equipment since they provide more ammo than a normal ammo box and additional boost damage, but Alma herself is a second volley MG which in general are viewed as subpar compared to the passive ability "Big 4" and the Hunting Impulse MG's. Although Alma does have a +armor tile, which is pretty highly desired in an MG. I don't think that there is much demand for second volley MG's for awhile, although I wonder how popular she would have been a few months ago alongside Negev in Deep Dive for the fight against Garm...

So I guess in summary, I think that Dorothy's ammo should be a very strong contender for an equipment piece for you to pick up. For your other equipment (or two maybe if that extra 60 fragments help out), I'd grab the gear for whoever you think are your favorites who you suspect that you will make use of regardless of if they're meta choices or not. Give your favorites their best toys to be the very best that they can be. If I had to pick a second, it would probably be either Stella's eyes or Alma's hands. I'd probably try throwing a bunch of dolls into a damage calculator to see which shines more. I'm kinda curious now how well that Alma stacks up against other second volley MGs in fights where second volley MG's can get a chance to pull ahead of the Big 4 and Hunting Impulse MG's, but such fights are kinda unicorns right now.

Again, I'd appreciate input from others about how they'd approach handling equipment purchasing triage.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    Oof. Well I made it to pioneer ex but even my wa2k svd rifle squad wasn't killing the jumpy boys fast enough. I couldn't hurt the gundams very well either, though that was against my primary ar squad. Maybe if the fights were reversed?

• Options
    edited August 2019
    @Ranlin
    I suspect that reversing the two would help a lot. IIRC that's a night map, so your rifles are going to struggle against enemies with evasion like the "jumpy boys." Likewise the gundams are heavily armored, so your rifles will tear through them easier.

It's still a tough map though.

edit:
    You can exploit the targeting AI of the Rodeleros (Jumpy Boys), since they'll always target whoever is most forward. So if you move your tank all the way to the frontmost column, while making certain that nobody is behind the tank, you will know that they'll always leap to target that tank and be prepared to dodge that doll out of the way. That way only the tank is dodging while the DPS remain static to keep dishing out the pain.

Against the gundams, you've just gotta practice kiting them with your tank to buy your DPS time to defeat them.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    Hah sorry I had learned their names finally before leaving for vacation but I forgot over that week and they went back to jumpy boys and gundams :p

• Options
    I still prefer referring to "scouts" as "floaty bois"

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    Is there anything gained by upgrading NV equip that's already at 100%?

• Options
    edited August 2019
    Re:Event Equipment

I already grabbed Alma's hands because they're, IMO, 100% necessary for her

Everyone else's gear is somewhere in the range of "nice but ultimately not necessary"

So it's kind of a toss up between Stella's eye (IF STELLA WILL EVER DROP), or maybe Dorothy's MIRD rounds, leaning toward Stella's eye, even if she is kind of weird for a rifle (Her shots are broken up into two smaller shots, which can target different enemies so it's better for groups than normal rifles, but because it's splitting her damage into two stacks it's worse for armored enemies)

EDIT: Oh, I didn't realize we were getting another free 60? In that case I'll be able to grab another piece of equipment, so maybe I'll just nab both MIRD and Stella's Eye.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    Hm. Well swapping the fights around when I could control it helped but i still can't kill the gundam groups without getting ruined after each one. I think I just lack enough good and upgraded equipment, as well as having some good units having to rely on subpar support, particularly my handgun line up.

Still managed to collect everything and get the no kill achievement at least.

• Options
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Re:Event Equipment

I already grabbed Alma's hands because they're, IMO, 100% necessary for her

Everyone else's gear is somewhere in the range of "nice but ultimately not necessary"

So it's kind of a toss up between Stella's eye (IF STELLA WILL EVER DROP), or maybe Dorothy's MIRD rounds, leaning toward Stella's eye, even if she is kind of weird for a rifle (Her shots are broken up into two smaller shots, which can target different enemies so it's better for groups than normal rifles, but because it's splitting her damage into two stacks it's worse for armored enemies)

EDIT: Oh, I didn't realize we were getting another free 60? In that case I'll be able to grab another piece of equipment, so maybe I'll just nab both MIRD and Stella's Eye.

Yeah, we're supposed to be getting an extra 60 IIRC. There was a bug on launch day were a lot of player's clients were getting stuck at like 99% of downloading the event assets, which prevented some people from playing on Day 1. I'm trying to find confirmation, but that's what I remember.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    I did get an extra 60 when I ran the first stage for the first time, so I'm wondering if it already went out or something, I won't count on it but it'd be a nice bonus

• Options
    No, I'm 98% certain that's something different. IIRC you get 60 from an email from the first stage. This led to another bug where, if you collected the fragments from that email, then it wouldn't display you getting fragments for the rest of the day. However that was simply a visual bug and you were indeed still getting fragments. The apology fragments are supposed to go out after the event if my memory serves, which IMO is kinda odd since I KNOW that it will lead to people settling for buying some batteries or cosmetics with their spare change fragments when the subsequent apology fragments would have pushed them over the edge to getting another equipment or something.

You don't LOSE anything for waiting an extra day or so to buy your gear. The shop remains open for an extra two weeks after the event ends. Just focus on getting all of your fragments each day for the next few days.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    That works I guess, just means I won't buy a 20 fragment icon or something at the end until I'm dead sure

• Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    it's actually possible to weave your tank up and down in the middle row to completely bait and dodge 2 sets of rodeleros jumping at them, but it requires some luck, finesse, and a keen sense of timing

but it's easier and usually safer to move forward long enough to bait the 1st rodelero, moving back while the 1st rodelero is starting the jump animation to delay the 2nd rodelero jump, then moving forward and to the side to dodge the 1st rodelero laser, then moving back up just as the 1st rodelero is finishing their laser attack to bait out the 2nd rodelero's laser

i should take a video of it because it's a lot easier to demonstrate than explain

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Well, Pioneer EX will have bested me. I know if I'd been more aggressively leveling (I've been too busy to really do much) or if I'd been more focused from the start I'd be alright, but honestly I think it's fine. I'm not concerned about not 100%ing everything. I just have too many characters that are level 71-81 and not enough in the 90's.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    CrimsonJazzCrimsonJazz Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Someone knows what is the mission described on the clue for the entrance exam event?

And do you use Blue equip to enhance Green and Gold? or Blue equip gives something extra like Blue dolls give cores?

CrimsonJazz on
  • Options
    The mission is 4-3E.

I sure hope there's no better use for blue equipment 'cause I've jammed a ton of it into orange gear :X

• Options
    edited August 2019
    Use blues to enhance your golds. One can argue that you shouldn't waste much effort on green equipment. Don't go too crazy on crafting equipment right now. The roadmap shows that we have a general rateup coming in september, so that's when you'll want to do the crafting due to the better rates. Try to stick to the daily crafts until then.

edit:
    The same goes for crafting anything right now really.

I think that they usually cycle through every kind of crafting on different days for the rateups. The big question is what you're gonna splurge on:
    *Crafting dolls during P90's rateup to try to get P90
    *Crafting dolls during the general rateup to try to get more 5*'s in general
    *Crafting equipment during rateup to try to get more 5* gear
    *Crafting fairies during rateup to try to get more fairies, and more 5* gear, at the cost of so many cores.
    *Crafting shotguns during the rateup to try to get a 5* shotgun at the cost of everything.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    For older players i would say rolling for p90 and passing over the general production/only rolling for equips or fairies is the way to go since you want to have resources/contracts built up for AK-12/AN-94

For newer players you might have to roll during the general prod to fill holes in your roster but general rate ups are still kind of a crapshoot

• Options
    edited August 2019
    Ok, I'm pretty much done with the event. Kalina is thrilled at my expense, and I've emptied my stash of tokens/gems to complete the Valhalla dorm set. Complete with nano-bot ghost Anna. My only fear now is for Mica to release the "Darkest Dungeon" style furniture gacha before my token supply replenishes.

I ended up not rolling for a Sei dupe, since I realized that was madness.

8n6k1bq0dvuz.jpg

All that's left that I want to do is rig up a guest account to replay the introductory scenes of the event so that I can record them.

I've setup my logistics teams to prioritize T-Doll construction contracts for the past few days, and they actually come in at a decent pace when you set a bunch of level 100 T-dolls to collect them 24/7. I'm to a bit over 350 now, whereas I was at ~300 a few days ago. I'm gonna give rolling for P90 a go, and hopefully I can get my numbers back up for AN-94/AK-12

edit:
    I just noticed that Dorothy has a different walking animation than the other Dolls. She's adorable.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    I haven't played much lately so I only had enough for a couple 11 draws

Finally made my main dorm not a shithole I guess

• Options
    The vast majority of dorm comfort for my dorms has come from the furniture that they've given out as part of the story events. The furniture is part of the "griffin elite" set, which is mostly trophies from the event. Completing all of the daily challenges gives you a handful of copies of that event's furniture, so after a few story events you can upgrade a few of your dorms to max comfort.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    cleared out the shop with frags to spare

i'll try farming for another sei i guess

• Options
    juuuuuuust managed to squeak into 100 tokens tonight, so for one final roll:
    7r61asmkyued.png

somehow the game delivered exactly what I wanted but wasn't holding out hope for

Also if you haven't tried it, definitely try picking up the different VA-1 characters in the dorm: each of them has a different animation for it!

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I ended up with enough points that I skipped the icons and got every item, even for the characters I didn't get. I guess that might be good if they ever potentially inject the characters into something without the items.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Well that concludes the collab. I enjoyed it far more than I expected to.

Next up on the schedule should be a variety of minor events such as the presently active point event, and then Chaper 10 and Singularity sometime this fall.

a7snydaobx3a.jpg

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    I'm happy i got everything I wanted off the event, and cleaned out the shop even without the 60 compensation points. I stalled out on the EX stages, but honestly expected that. I need to spend some time getting my echelons up to scratch.

To that end I've been skilling up grenadiers, and ho boy, K11 does some serious damage to big echelons.

• Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    My only regret was that I tried to use the rest of my tokens to get one more Pixel cafe item to get the set bonus, but couldn't quite eke it out (got a duplicate of one on my last roll).

Tried going back to the campaign today, and oof I defeated Architect (last fight in chapter 2), but man she did a number on my squads...and I got to kill her 3 more times. :(

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    My only regret was that I tried to use the rest of my tokens to get one more Pixel cafe item to get the set bonus, but couldn't quite eke it out (got a duplicate of one on my last roll).

Tried going back to the campaign today, and oof I defeated Architect (last fight in chapter 2), but man she did a number on my squads...and I got to kill her 3 more times. :(

i was briefly confused until i realized you meant ch. 2 of AW campaign

also interesting, it looks like they're doing the digimind vote by giving us voting pools from each rarity
    26ac4am8xusb.png

if we assume M4A1 and AR-15 aren't getting their digminds until Singularity, which is probably going to be all of October based on that response

FN49 is a Cinderella digimind, g3 goes from very meh to solid, m1911 gets a bump but she was already useful in a delaying/defensive niche because smoke is good and she was already fine as an HG

• Options
    This is pretty much how I expected the voting to work. It's how they handle selecting the rescue event dolls as well.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Yeah, sorry I meant the AW campaign. Is there a particular team setup that works well against her?

Edit: Also, I'm not familiar with the term Cinderella in this setting. Does that mean she'd good for just a little while before turning back into a pumpkin (I know that was the carriage but still ;) )?

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    Yeah, sorry I meant the AW campaign. Is there a particular team setup that works well against her?

Edit: Also, I'm not familiar with the term Cinderella in this setting. Does that mean she'd good for just a little while before turning back into a pumpkin (I know that was the carriage but still ;) )?

i just use it as a way to refer to someone who goes from rags to riches or trash to treasure, it's not a widespread term or anything

the meta may shift based on the enemy composition in events so it's not to say that a tdoll that gets a big boost with digimind can't fall out of meta use later but at the very least FN 49 is vastly improved from her current state

• Options
    Massive collab spoiler
    A thing which was absolutely brilliant is that the splash screen shows a scene which literally cannot happen until just before the very end of the story scene you get the first time you finish The Last Rain in the World. There is no point in the story in which all of those characters are together at the bar until that point, so that is a photo of them partying before the end of the world. And because you don't get to know that they were able to escape the end of the world until your second win of that stage, it makes that screen that at first looked like a fun and silly promo image incredibly bittersweet. I was actually really relieved with the second ending!

But there's one thing that doesn't make sense to me: the Jill who joins you doesn't want to be called Julianne. Isn't the Jill that joins you the one that chose to be called Julianne?