Options

[Kids] are the best of times, the worst of times

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    omg Sharpy, I just love his little nose.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited July 2019
    I can't wait to have another baby.

Edit: well, to be fair, my wife will be doing most of the work. But still, I miss when Sapling was that little.

Brody on
    "I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    more power to you, but all I can think when I see photos of newborns is "thank god bean is older now"

they're cute sure, but at what cost

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    i cannot agree harder.

I look at babies and I'm like "what in the world was I thinking". I'm so much happier now that she's older and can scream "NO" in my face while trying to cuddle me while telling me she doesn't want cuddles.

I can (most of the time) cope with this. The constant neediness of infancy? I don't know how I survived.

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    When he's being nice like in that photo I sit there wishing he'll never grow up. It's so nice just having this little dude to snuggle.

On the other hand I can't wait for him to get older so we can do stuff together. Looking forward to taking him to zoo's and so on.

Whilst the sleepless nights have been horrible I've actually starting dreading the thought of him sleeping longer at night.

Those early morning snuggle sessions are nice sometimes.

• Options
    Sapling can actually ask for cuddles now.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Leah is really doing the 5/15 year old thing. Can I assume when she’s 15, she’ll then act stereotypically 5?

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    See, my dude still hasn't really hit actual talking for the most part, so the "I wish they could just talk to me" thing is still going from infancy, but, he knows how to feed himself, mostly dress himself (shoes and shirt are a work in progress), he's good at finding his own fun, he climbs up and just . . . wraps my arms around him when he wants cuddles. And so on. He knows how to mostly get what he wants. Part of me misses the itty bitty critter that needed me, but most of me is like, "thank god he's growing up".

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    I miss the cute parts of newborndom, and a small piece of me almost wishes we had gone for 3 just to have those moments at 3 am.
    Then I remember they were at 3 am and I'd have to deal with that on top of a 4 and 2 year old and have to suppress involuntary tears.
    I am glad we had 2, but 100% understand anyone that doesn't want to do newborn again.

• Options
    Her daycare teachers are like "when are you going to give us another one to love?" and I'm like "nope, you got just the one shot. love her all you can cause there will be no follow ups"

and then i see her taking care of her babies and the younger kids at daycare and I momentarily, briefly, fleetingly feel the guilt and the 'but what if...'

and then I remember 3am and just. nope.

• Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    I didn't really mind doing everything at all hours for our kiddo, but I hated seeing her so unable to do things for herself and lack many tools to communicate what she wanted. The snuggles and such were nice but I could never shed that feeling, I was just super excited to see what the person hiding inside was like.

There's no way in hell I want another baby. If we ever decide to have another kid we'll adopt a nonbaby.

• Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    @SharpyVII It's the Variflow teats on the Closer to Nature bottles. When I quickly looked them up on Amazon there was a little message at the top of the page:
    You purchased this item on 25 Dec 2014.

So I guess we were still using these when he was a year old

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    We used Dr Brown's for a long time with our girl, they were a lifesaver.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    I'm pretty on board with having another baby. Which is good given that one is due in October

Although it does mean I'm pretty house stressed as we'll need a bigger place. But we can't move in the UK until brexit is clearer. Or until we get jobs outside of the UK

The baby itself will be fine

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    We had a lady from the local health organisation visit us yesterday. She understood our problems and also confirmed that the kid is fine, just need to find ways for my partner to care for little king without things going wrong. We've been signed up for a program where professionals visit us at home.

I have no clue whether they can help and whether they are actually good at what they do, but at this point I'm willing to give it a try.

• Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    Our first kid was a dream baby. Slept well, ate well, a little fussy at times, but not too much.
    Second baby had colic. Never took a pacifier. Never slept well. Love him to pieces, but he is 10000x the work his sister was.

Don't let the first child lull you into thinking #2 will be at all similar.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    I'm pretty on board with having another baby. Which is good given that one is due in October

Although it does mean I'm pretty house stressed as we'll need a bigger place. But we can't move in the UK until brexit is clearer. Or until we get jobs outside of the UK

The baby itself will be fine

I didn't know you two were having another, congrats!

• Options
    Our first kid was a dream baby. Slept well, ate well, a little fussy at times, but not too much.
    Second baby had colic. Never took a pacifier. Never slept well. Love him to pieces, but he is 10000x the work his sister was.

Don't let the first child lull you into thinking #2 will be at all similar.

Our daughter had a cleft palate and really bad reflux, so we couldn't let her lay down/go in the car seat until 30 minutes after she had eaten, or she would spit up. And often would gurgle up a little bit of milk anyways.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Ours was an awesome baby, slept through the night, potty trained relatively easy, good natured in general.

However the pregnancy was a nightmare, took years of trying and treatment, was considered high risk with tons of doctor visits and spiked my wife's blood pressure even afterwards to the point they threatened to keep her there extra time after sending him home. Also she was at her heaviest in a very hot July and August. So no second was/is in our plans because it was a miserable 9 months (and before that thanks to the hormones they had her on).

• Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    I mainly miss the 6-8 month honeymoon. Oliver was basically an angel at that point. He was super cute, very rarely fussy, slept through the night, took two naps a day, didn't crawl and would just chill on/in front of us playing with little mobiles and rattles etc.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    I believe I’ve mentioned this before but a Facebook friend of mine confessed to having six ‘easy’ children before her seventh was a nightmare

Her seventh sounds like most typical babies/toddlers to me (from how she describes his sleep patterns/behavior) but apparently her first 6 slept with no issues and she assumed it was her parenting that helped, but no, none of her tricks work with #7 and she has repeatedly said that if #7 had been her firstborn she would have only had the one.

• Options
    Janson wrote: »
    I believe I’ve mentioned this before but a Facebook friend of mine confessed to having six ‘easy’ children before her seventh was a nightmare

Her seventh sounds like most typical babies/toddlers to me (from how she describes his sleep patterns/behavior) but apparently her first 6 slept with no issues and she assumed it was her parenting that helped, but no, none of her tricks work with #7 and she has repeatedly said that if #7 had been her firstborn she would have only had the one.

If you have 7 kids, I don't believe you would have stopped with 1.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    No offense, but 7 kids feels irresponsible. And this is coming from someone who has lots of brothers and sisters.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Quiverfull people are... a lot

• Options
    I feel as if I know more than a handful of people who had 4+ kids in quick succession and later regretted it. Which I can’t imagine myself, but I guess some people just have really great pregnancies and love the baby stage.

My dad definitely regrets having as many kids as he does, but oh well, you gotta deal with us, dad. :P (he’s actually really great with kids, but yeah)

• Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    I love all my boys but if I had to juggle one more strong willed individual in this household my mind would give like wet newspaper

• Options
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Quiverfull people are... a lot

I don’t know anyone quiverfull but I do have several friends who only had children because their religion prescribed it (largely Catholics)

They feel very differently since leaving their religions

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    No offense, but 7 kids feels irresponsible. And this is coming from someone who has lots of brothers and sisters.

My dad had 13 brothers and sisters. Of those 14 kids, only two had more than two kids themselves. Those are my cousins. Of all my cousins I have procreated the most with two total kids (and we are done). One of my cousins also has had two kids, not sure if she’s done but probably. There’s time for a few other cousins to get started, but I highly doubt any of them go over two kids each.

We all learned vicariously through our parents that >2 kids is just asking for trouble, and we have discussed such with each other at family reunions through the years. At least in our family!

• Options
    I’m one of 6

My brother and I have stopped at 2 kids, my sister may stop at 1 (but may likely have 2, but definitely no more)
    Another brother also wishes to stop at 2
    The youngest two siblings aren’t ready to have kids yet, but definitely have no interest for quite a while yet

It’s definitely interesting how things balance out!

Also: Anya is 7 and we permit her to use a knife in the kitchen now (she has good, safe knife skills) and she can use a toaster and microwave. I should probably start letting her use the stove with supervision, but does anyone have any ideas for other age-appropriate kitchen skills to have/meals to make?

She regularly makes herself toast for breakfast and she chops up cucumber and bell peppers for snacks!

• Options
    AllyxiaAllyxia Registered User regular
    My husband and I are waiting until next year to see how we feel about having another or letting our son grow up an only child. Both of my mom's pregnancies were fraternal twins so if we do go the sibling route it'll probably be multiples (thanks genetics)

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    My wife and I are each one of three kids, and she comes from a family so large I need a scorecard just to keep track, and my family is so small you could almost count the aunt and uncle pairings on one hand. I feel like between 1-2 is good. I'd like Toby to have a sibling, but by god I'd also like to wait a bit longer.

Speaking of my kid, I placed a load of kid rags on the couch this afternoon, and went back to put a load of towels in the dryer, and when I came back he was sorting the rags neatly into piles based on color, pattern, and texture, so I just let him go for it. Twenty minutes later and my kid of just over two and a half years old has neatly sorted every rag into their own pile. I just gotta say, there's some times where sensory and other issues can be a pain in the ass, but in this case, it was fantastic. The best part was when he was pleased with himself, he'd pat the pile he just successfully placed a rag on. It's the kind of cute only a toddler can summon, I swear.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    My wife and I agreed a while ago that we figured two would be nice, but if we end up with twins on either attempt we were going to sew/snip/whatever else we can do to make sure we don't end up with more than three.

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    My wife has three siblings and I have one.

She always talked about having three kids and we've bought a house that could accomodate three children.

However, 7 weeks in with our first baby and she's already taking about only having two :P

We have three embryos on ice at the IVF clinic but they're definitely not all going back in.

SharpyVII on
  • Options
    Our initial thought was one, and that's probably still most likely, but the cute days and the desire to provide a sibling tempt us sometimes. We also would be tempted to adopt for a second child, but boy that's a ton of money and usually a long wait, so the age gap between the kids would be fairly large, so I'm not sure how much this is in the cards for us.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Originally we were gonna have 3 but now we’re more than fine with 2!

• Options
    What it really makes me think of is how nice it would be if it was the norm to live in small closely knit communities, like those hippie dippie places in Denmark where people live in what are essentially co-ops, with their own private apartments and share large communal living and kitchen areas. People who want fewer kids can do so and still interact with lots of younger friends' kids, and people who want more can foist them off on friends to act as babysitters. There are people who manage that type of situation in America, but I think it's generally rare, religiously focused, or in low-income situations where all of that is tinged with the stress of the environment.

• Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    i brought rex up the coast yesterday on the train for a couple of extra nights at my mum's before the weekend. it's probably an extra hour on a two hour drive, but it was great fun. he was very patient

saCA98x.jpg

today we saw some humpbacks from the headland...

V7tU2YK.jpg

and went to an arcade for some games. motogp was hard but he won mario kart with a little help to reach the accelerator

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Look at you being all cool dad.

• Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    being a cool dad is super easy when you're on two weeks of holidays and you've only got one kid to look after 8-)

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    So little Monica starting laughing and it's hilarious.

Her voice is so high but when she laughs it goes low and it kinda sounds like a beavis & butthead laugh. My girlfriend only moved to canada from Ukraine about 5 years ago, so I was surprised she knew B&B but it was her who mentioned it first hehehe