Options

[Kids] are the best of times, the worst of times

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Everything must come in threes, because she's 3 years old, you see.

"You have to eat your cucumbers and your chicken for dinner"
    I'll have 3 bites, mommy. Because I'm 3.
    "No, you have to eat all 3 things, chicken, rice, and cucumber"
    I'll have 3 bites of those 3 things, Mommy. Cause I'm 3 years old
    "I might be able to agree with those terms. But then you have to eat some tomatoes"
    I can't, mommy! that's 4 things! I'm not 4 years old, I'm 3 years old! Three things for dinner! and then I can get 3 scoops of ice cream because I'm 3!
    "That is not how this works! That is not how any of this works"
    *three year old cackling with laughter*

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Morgan walks in to my room tonight.

"Dad! DAD! Grayson said Tupac is scary but it wasn't even Tupac! TUPAC SHAKUR!"

Kids, eh?

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Everything must come in threes, because she's 3 years old, you see.

"You have to eat your cucumbers and your chicken for dinner"
    I'll have 3 bites, mommy. Because I'm 3.
    "No, you have to eat all 3 things, chicken, rice, and cucumber"
    I'll have 3 bites of those 3 things, Mommy. Cause I'm 3 years old
    "I might be able to agree with those terms. But then you have to eat some tomatoes"
    I can't, mommy! that's 4 things! I'm not 4 years old, I'm 3 years old! Three things for dinner! and then I can get 3 scoops of ice cream because I'm 3!
    "That is not how this works! That is not how any of this works"
    *three year old cackling with laughter*

Lol my Mum would have looked at my Dad and said "David go fetch me three wooden spoons" ha ha ha!

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Do wooden spoons make ice cream taste better?

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited July 2019

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Last night I started getting back spasms!

I'm a full time dad to a one year old and I'm under Doctors orders to not bend over or pick anything up!

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »

I'm a full time dad to a one year old and I'm under Doctors orders to not bend over or pick anything up!

yeah I immediately managed to hurt my back as soon as I had my kid

although I think for me it was actually the act of picking the kid up and down that caused the injury

i'm too damn inflexible - I can pretty much sit in a chair, stand up, and walk
    anything else that requires more flexibility leaves me sore for a week

• Options
  • Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    My son has been idolizing another friend at his daycare the last few months and it's been so aggravating. This friend always brings toys to daycare (we don't allow this, and really, the daycare is supposed to not allow this, but they boys parents just don't care I guess?) so every morning and night is filled with a petulant whiney session about how "so and so does a thing so why can't I".

He also keeps telling my son to just sneak the toys in, which is making me furious. He hasn't done it yet, and he tells me every time instead, which warms my heart, but grumble grumble grumble.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    I remember one time I had my daughter in a carrier, and I couldn't stand up because my back was protesting. I was on a subway, and missed my stop. My husband didn't notice, and got off at the correct stop.
    This was before they got cell service in all of the stations, so figuring out how to meet up again took a bit. Still kind of salty over not being noticed.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Man maybe I should get that Dora The Explorer book

• Options
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Man maybe I should get that Dora The Explorer book

yeah I'm seriously considering picking this up just to have something weird I can eventually give to my kid

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    2019-07-16%2008.59.13.jpg

I asked Anya why she looked sad and she replied ‘I didn’t want to get out of bed this morning’

• Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    Janson wrote: »

I asked Anya why she looked sad and she replied ‘I didn’t want to get out of bed this morning’

Yeah, me neither, kiddo.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Welcome to adulthood!

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

Is it just Dora being obviously insane?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    Brolo wrote: »
    also dora are you okay

https://twitter.com/ange ban93/status/1150857229211332608
    https://twitter.com/ange ban93/status/1150965238243532800

whoa. It looks like they are doing everything I wanted them to do in the movie.

https://twitter.com/Squidg ypidgeon/status/1149476277922889729

https://twitter.com/Squidg ypidgeon/status/1149524363336511488
    (in particular, the second picture there)

https://twitter.com/Squidg ypidgeon/status/1149924126464757760

what

the

fuck

Is it just Dora being obviously insane?

I don't know, but it's fucking incredible

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »

Ha, yeah. From 3 months before my daughter was born to about the one year mark I had a herniated disc. We also had a 2-4 year old.
    Do those core exercises and prepare to live with pain. I highly recommend one of those rice packs you can microwave or freeze.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I think I'm going to need some help explaining death to my three year old.

I'm hoping the cat well bounce back, but I'm trying to be prepared.

What do I do?

• Options
    I think I'm going to need some help explaining death to my three year old.

I'm hoping the cat well bounce back, but I'm trying to be prepared.

What do I do?

Two of our kids' grandparents have already passed, so whenever they see them in pictures and ask who they were, we just tell them it was my mom and mommy's daddy, but they died which means they aren't around anymore so we can see them. They're still a little too young to really understand what that means, but they kind of "get it". Of course, it's probably a bit easier since they never knew the grandparents vs your cat always being around.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    So my wife had her first appointment yesterday and today we got a call that's really upsetting her.

Everything seems to be going fine, and the apps we've used have all guessed - via their various methods - that she's just at the beginning of 6 weeks.

They called her early this morning saying that her hCG level is low for 6 weeks, and they need to have her come back in. It was at 700.

We're kind of complete messes balancing the whole hope with potential reality, but these hCG charts are all over the place, and now I'm even calling into question if she's actually at 6 weeks (hey app - how if the "potential conception date" was 6/19, and today is 7/17, how is that 6 weeks?).

Just sharing to get it off my chest. I really have no idea what to even say to her because I'm much more realistic but don't want to upset her further.

This is way more complicated than high school sex ed makes you think it is!

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    mxmarks wrote: »
    So my wife had her first appointment yesterday and today we got a call that's really upsetting her.

Everything seems to be going fine, and the apps we've used have all guessed - via their various methods - that she's just at the beginning of 6 weeks.

They called her early this morning saying that her hCG level is low for 6 weeks, and they need to have her come back in. It was at 700.

We're kind of complete messes balancing the whole hope with potential reality, but these hCG charts are all over the place, and now I'm even calling into question if she's actually at 6 weeks (hey app - how if the "potential conception date" was 6/19, and today is 7/17, how is that 6 weeks?).

Just sharing to get it off my chest. I really have no idea what to even say to her because I'm much more realistic but don't want to upset her further.

The pregnancy date goes from the first day of her last period, not the potential date of conception.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    That

The pregnancy date goes from the first day of her last period, not the potential date of conception.

That number gave us 6 weeks too. I was more just wondering how when I choose the conception date guesstimate the app does that math.

We’re also kind of curious because the date of her last period was very screwed up too because of the chemical pregnancy last month.

• Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular

Gestational age (which doctors use) is from date of last menstrual period, even though ovulation is ~2 weeks after that. So maybe there is a disconnect from the apps and what your doc calculated. I looked at a chart on wikipedia (because IANAD) and it said an hCG level of 700 is within spec for 5 weeks, only a bit low for 6 weeks, and it's pretty much an exponential growth rate. So I wouldn't worry too much if you're only at 6 weeks along. Just tell the Mrs you love her and support her and that every pregnancy is different.

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Even if your period is irregular, they’ll give you a date based on ~2 weeks prior to estimated conception.

That happened to me! I had a period in May 2014, then nothing after that. Based on when I got a positive test my conception date with Niko was ~3-5 July 2014 (this was later verified by the first ultrasound). So the number of weeks was calculated as if I had had a period that ended around June 18th 2014.

• Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Just had our first ever babysitters outside the family (couple of neighbor kids we met, girl and a boy) test drive watching my two big guys while we went out to lunch for an hour. They called three times. Little Man was an angel, but I guess Middle Guy really doesn't take feedback from anyone except me and my wife well, because he locked himself in his bedroom, and then a bathroom, and finally in the corner of the baby's room where he acted like a feral animal towards anyone who came near him (or as I translated it to my wife as I was on the phone, "he went the Full Calvin")

The babysitters luckily didn't run off screaming, but I absolutely would not have blamed them if they had. Middle Guy was nearly crying he was so happy to see my partner and I, and the babysitters did offer to watch them again, so hopefully this gets easier in the future because the hour of near-freedom was amazing

• Options
    A sad update that I will put behind spoilers as not to be a gigantic downer:
    We got the results of the 2nd blood test back, and the numbers are not good. The hGC level didn't even come close to doubling - it rose, but only from 700 to 856. The doctor on the phone asked for one more blood test tomorrow, and told us to expect a miscarriage.

To say we're devastated would be an understatement. We're older (Im 36, she's 34) and feel this is it. My wife is at work but I just keep getting frantic text messages about how upset she is. She has made it very clear she does not want to try anymore, and I'm really hoping that's being said in the heat of the moment and not really how she feels. I don't know what I'd do if it is how she really feels.

This whole thing is just pretty terrible. I'm very thankful to have this board to just get these thoughts out into the world, and appreciate everyone allowing me to do that.

• Options
    We got the results of the 2nd blood test back, and the numbers are not good. The hGC level didn't even come close to doubling - it rose, but only from 700 to 856. The doctor on the phone asked for one more blood test tomorrow, and told us to expect a miscarriage.

To say we're devastated would be an understatement. We're older (Im 36, she's 34) and feel this is it. My wife is at work but I just keep getting frantic text messages about how upset she is. She has made it very clear she does not want to try anymore, and I'm really hoping that's being said in the heat of the moment and not really how she feels. I don't know what I'd do if it is how she really feels.

This whole thing is just pretty terrible. I'm very thankful to have this board to just get these thoughts out into the world, and appreciate everyone allowing me to do that.

Man, I'm so sorry to hear that man.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options

Sorry, man. That sucks, I know.

How many times has this happened/how long have you been trying? I say this only because it took us 3 years, and at least 3 miscarriages (that we know of) before we had our first kid. We were very nearly at that point of giving up, and had even started talking to adoption agencies when Mallory finally came along. It just takes that one time to finally stick, but believe me I know how hard it can be to get to that time. And your wife at 34 is definitely not that old for kids.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    At 34, there is still plenty of juice left for making babies, but also you guys are in a window where the chances of another miscarriage are higher, and that might just be a lot for wife to try and handle.

• Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    My husband and I are the youngest of the parents in our parent group, and I had my youngest at 35. I had a scare with him, too (bleeding during the first trimester), and wish you the best.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    When we had our kiddo the wife was 34, and I was 37. He's almost 3 now, and there were numerous complications, including what was suspected to be an unknown miscarriage directly before him, and my wife's blood pressure issues keeping her way to close to pre-eclampsia for comfort during basically the entire pregnancy. She had a specialist (apparently one of the best in his field) to keep her blood pressure halfway reasonable, and we still had to have him delivered before the due date via c-section because he just wasn't responding at one point (too much or too little blood is no bueno). He was small for gestational age, but fantastic. And he continues to be.

These are problems that can come about, and sometimes you can make it through, and sometimes not. It's also important to remember that most pregnancy knowledge is cribbed from, like, over four centuries ago? Modern research mainly says that the whole "kids at 35 or GTFO" is outdated, provided you can afford modern care, though yes, miscarriage can increase.

Now, I'm not a doctor, so do your own research and talk to doctors because health issues such as high blood pressure or diabetes can cause more wrinkles and require special care to nudge the kiddo in the right direction.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    I was also 34 when we had our daughter, now 3.5 years old.

I'm so sorry that you guys are going through this, and this is why we're here. Please give your wife our best.

Not to raise hopes, but a friend of mine had the hormone tests stall out at around 6 weeks as well, the numbers just weren't budging. She's now at 21 weeks and everything looks great. So anything can happen.

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    My wife was 35 for daughter and 38 for son. She wanted vaginal but it wasn't in the cards for either one. Daughter was emergency csec after many hours of labor, son was planned csec due to beach position. It took us a long time of trying for both of them (we started on second about a year after first).

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    "Kalnaur wrote: »
    Modern research mainly says that the whole "kids at 35 or GTFO" is outdated, provided you can afford modern care, though yes, miscarriage can increase.

Risk of miscarriage increases in the 30s, before 35 the average risk of miscarriage is 10%, after 35 it's 45%.

This doesn't mean the risk jumps on your 35th birthday, it's a gradual increase and that "over 35" group includes all premenopausal women so that's a long window.

There are other risk factors associated with an older mother, but they're much lower than most folks think. At 35 the risk of Down Syndrome is much higher than at 25, but it's still 1 in 350.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Baby’s napping/feeding schedule has shifted recently. Older kid is not amused. Kindergarten starts up next month. That’ll be a welcome shift for everyone I think. Summer has gotten boring now that we are in the oppressive heat portion.

Here ends my inconsistently timed update.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I mean... How do I not do it?

99br1r4rbahe.jpg

• Options
    Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    So today is Peanuts birthday. Had his party Thur and follow up family festivities Friday.
    Seeing his face when he realized I was leaving (mixture of sad/upset and a tiny hesitant bye)

Still makes me cry when I think about it.

But!!! I’ll see him in 2 weeks so.. that is what is making me keep chugging along.

Now for some good time!

shgnyey1m6z6.jpeg
    2dbaxjyjy7kz.jpeg
    ihtboj4se8wi.jpeg
    4l0vxscvgj4a.jpeg

I got nothing for you now. Try again later.