Options

[Kids] are the best of times, the worst of times

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    So my son's cold is finally clearing up.....

To be replaced by a stomach bug that's hit him and my wife.

Fun.

I just want to sleep in my own bed for a full night :(

SharpyVII on
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    Theia had one of her worst evenings ever, basically crying nonstop from 6:30 pm to 9:00 pm, whether being held or otherwise. We tried pretty much everything and I even checked her temperature twice just to make sure she wasn’t sick or something. I eventually just put her in her nighttime bassinet out of desperation (she’s usually in the daytime one in the living room until Blake dream feeds her at 10:00-11:00) and she settled within 5 minutes of rocking. I have NO IDEA why this worked.

We both passed out in bed next to her from exhaustion, and she did sleep like a champ - fed at 11:30 pm by Blake, me at 4:00 am, then me again at 7:00 am. Was not terrible.

She was also extremely smiley this morning with lots of coos and some gurgles, which of course meant everything from yesterday was
    forgiven... and then she dropped the biggest poonami she’s ever done while I was playing with her on my lap in bed. It leaked a little, but luckily only upward (?) onto her onesie and my legs.

Babies: domestic terrorists.

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Maybe she was constipated if there was a big poop?

Our little one got really constipated after she got got sick a couple weeks. There was just a whole day where she was squirming and randomly upset. Poop was so massive it protruded outwards through the diaper and her pants.

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    We did think that, but apparently it’s normal for babies her age to go days without pooping, but then she did have two poopy nappies in the two nappy changes leading up to the poonami.

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Viv, all of that sounds very familiar and I’m deeming it all quite normal. You’re doing great! Infant terrorists rarely grow up to be adult terrorists. Or so I’m led to believe and I hope.

davidsdurions on
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    My son proving that his sister isn't the only one who can rock a ponytail:

gxpwqzxcdyj6.jpg

Bonus cute pic:
    zak76zlghflp.jpg

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Awww cutie!

I miss Niko’s pigtails. Although his short hair is a lot easier to take care of.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Is he going to grow it out again?

• Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Kate's hair is always a tangled mess I can't seem to tame. I'll take ANY tips. Yesterday I washed her hair in the shower thoroughly. When she dried off I spayed this detangler stuff her mom bought until her hair was pretty damp again. Then using this HUGE TOOTHED comb that is supposed to help with tangles, I went at her hair. About 2 minutes in I gave up as she was crying and screaming. I barely pull at her hair, I grab a clump if I'm trying to force out a tangle, but yet she screams as if I'm pulling it out at the roots. I want to shave her head, but her mom won't let me!

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    My daughter has long, gently? curly hair that could get real bad if not tended properly.

I put it in a loose braid every night before bed so it can't get all tangled up, and it gets combed out with a large tooth shower comb before being done up however in the mornings, but I'm not present for that.

It still turns into a mess if I ever forget to braid it once, or if we miss our bathing schedule. Even if we keep on top of everything, it's still in need of some care come bath/shower time, so we comb it out completely while the conditioner is in her hair, it helps all the knots and tangles come out a lot easier, without needing to cause any pain. After drying off a quick runthrough gets it back in shape from the mussing by the towel. I'm unsure how much it helps that we shampoo it once a week, but condition every time.

Still plenty of broken/split ends that need trimmed to keep it from getting bad from time to time.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I bought one of those "detangle miracle" brush things. Like a palm sized plastic brush with no handle?

Best thing. Seriously.

And Ellie hasn't had a hair cut yet at four years old. She has a lot of hair

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    My SO didn’t get hair till 3-4 years old and it seems like our little one will be the same.

She’s just past 1 but still total cue ball.

The number of times she is mistaken for a boy has started to drive my SO slightly mad.
    actth36yqp1x.jpeg

Dixon on
  • Options
    I bought one of those "detangle miracle" brush things. Like a palm sized plastic brush with no handle?

Best thing. Seriously.

Any links to this? Such an item sounds like it would be a blessing to my daughter's tangled mess.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    MNC Dover wrote: »

Best thing. Seriously.

Any links to this? Such an item sounds like it would be a blessing to my daughter's tangled mess.

Tangle Teezer is a big brand in the UK.

I think they're in the US too.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Unfortunately/fortunately, my wife and I both have very curly hair, so Sapling has amazing hair, but it makes brushing it a nightmare.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Blake T wrote: »

No, he loves short hair. He only had such long hair because he was blessed with a lot of hair as a baby and he would scream any time we tried to cut it. Ever since he’s been able to talk and express himself he’s been very adamant that he wants short hair (which is good because he also used to refuse to let me brush it!).

I use a tangle teezer (link here) and also a wet brush on Anya’s hair, but her hair is so fine that even that doesn’t help as much as I was hoping. Regular trims, however, do make a difference.
    Dixon wrote: »
    My SO didn’t get hair till 3-4 years old and it seems like our little one will be the same.

The number of times she is mistaken for a boy has started to drive my SO slightly mad.
    actth36yqp1x.jpeg

What a cutie!

It’s so ridiculous how society ties gender to haircuts!

Janson on
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    This is Sapling at 2 and half, just after waking up.
    95rxg4pyrwqm.jpg

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    yes that Tangle Teezer thing.

Also liberal amounts of spray conditioner before we lost that bottle.

But we use a solid conditioner bar on Ellie's hair and it's been a blessing.

• Options
    Mori’s mom tells Anya that too much conditioner is bad for her so Anya fights me on the conditioner front *rolls eyes at Mori’s mom*

• Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    I've never seen Bluey before. This show is amaaaaaaazing. And perfectly scratches my Sarah and Duck itch.

Elbasunu on
    g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    Tangle Teezer Ordered!!!! thanks everyone. Now to get some conditioner for her as she has an All in one kids Shampoo/Bodywash thing right now.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    Janson wrote: »
    Mori’s mom tells Anya that too much conditioner is bad for her so Anya fights me on the conditioner front *rolls eyes at Mori’s mom*

Wel then she can brush Anya's hair.

Sorry, but ugh. conditioner is bad for some hair, yes. But so is yanking it out by the roots because it's knotted.

maybe if you found a detangling spray? like, it's till just conditioner but aerosolized? you've probably already tried this.

• Options

No, he loves short hair. He only had such long hair because he was blessed with a lot of hair as a baby and he would scream any time we tried to cut it. Ever since he’s been able to talk and express himself he’s been very adamant that he wants short hair (which is good because he also used to refuse to let me brush it!).

I use a tangle teezer (link here) and also a wet brush on Anya’s hair, but her hair is so fine that even that doesn’t help as much as I was hoping. Regular trims, however, do make a difference.

actth36yqp1x.jpeg

What a cutie!

It wasn't until I went looking up more info on tangle teezers to see why they seemed to work so well that I realized the wet brush you also mentioned is a brand name and the main competition. Does one or the other work significantly better for you? My daughter's hair is pretty thick and the main complaint I see against tangle teezer is the short length of the bristles mean it kinda glides over most of the hair so you have to do at least above and beneath separately, and it can take a long time. Wet Brush looks just like a regular brush? Though I guess it has softer bristles. The few comparisons I saw actually preferred it.

I gather you have a better experience with a tangle teezer? Do you think that would hold true if her hair was thicker?

• Options
    edited March 2020
    Banzai5150 wrote: »
    Tangle Teezer Ordered!!!! thanks everyone. Now to get some conditioner for her as she has an All in one kids Shampoo/Bodywash thing right now.

I just ordered one too. Brush bros!

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Think I'm definitely getting the bug my son has.

Him puking in to my mouth probably didn't help...

• Options
    SharpyVII wrote: »

D: I think you nailed the method of transmission

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    SharpyVII wrote: »

Parenting!
    *jazz hands*

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Elbasunu wrote: »
    I've never seen Blooey before. This show is amaaaaaaazing. And perfectly scratches my Sarah and Duck itch.

"Sarah AND Duck"
    Quack
    "SARAH and Duck"
    Quack
    "SarahandDuck"
    Quack

That is a great show.

Not sure if you meant Bluey, or is there's also a Blooey show, but check out Bluey. Been making the Twitter rounds and it's good too.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Ugh. I took over as league secretary for my son's youth bowling league specifically because the older woman that had been running things was ticking people off so much that we were losing parents. Unfortunately the software they made me buy is so terrible that it won't spit out the report they keep insisting they need for the local board. So now this woman is coming over this weekend to "help" despite never using the software herself and I managed to make Mrs Lohan upset because I told her I was going to load the software on a disc and give to the woman and say I'm done. I hate youth sports.

• Options

Wel then she can brush Anya's hair.

Sorry, but ugh. conditioner is bad for some hair, yes. But so is yanking it out by the roots because it's knotted.

maybe if you found a detangling spray? like, it's till just conditioner but aerosolized? you've probably already tried this.

Oh, I go ahead and use the conditioner and detangling spray anyway :) I was just venting, really! She can be frustrating sometimes.
    Ranlin wrote: »

actth36yqp1x.jpeg

What a cutie!

It wasn't until I went looking up more info on tangle teezers to see why they seemed to work so well that I realized the wet brush you also mentioned is a brand name and the main competition. Does one or the other work significantly better for you? My daughter's hair is pretty thick and the main complaint I see against tangle teezer is the short length of the bristles mean it kinda glides over most of the hair so you have to do at least above and beneath separately, and it can take a long time. Wet Brush looks just like a regular brush? Though I guess it has softer bristles. The few comparisons I saw actually preferred it.

I gather you have a better experience with a tangle teezer? Do you think that would hold true if her hair was thicker?

Both are somewhat similar! I like both in conjunction myself.

The tangle teezer has shorter bristles and it’s a tad more gentle at getting the tinier knots out, but the shorter bristles aren’t as good with thicker hair unless you take the time to section it as you brush.

The wet brush has longer bristles and it’s what I personally use for my hair, and I think I slightly prefer it, but my head is also a lot less sensitive.

• Options
    Got the brush and tried it out on her hair dry. Worked pretty good! Only got a few ouches instead of screaming. Used the spray on detangler/condition and it made it soooo easy to do! Thanks for all the suggestions. The detangler is Honest Conditioning and Detangler.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    I've never seen Blooey before. This show is amaaaaaaazing. And perfectly scratches my Sarah and Duck itch.

"Sarah AND Duck"
    Quack
    "SARAH and Duck"
    Quack
    "SarahandDuck"
    Quack

That is a great show.

Not sure if you meant Bluey, or is there's also a Blooey show, but check out Bluey. Been making the Twitter rounds and it's good too.

Whoops yeah I meant Bluey. We watched almost everything they have on Disney plus. I'll be sad when we dont have anymore.

• Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    We absolutely love Bluey. Such great interaction between the family members. Showing Mom and Dad encouraging imaginative play while still being responsible parents.

We're so used to cartoons portraying parents as these authoritarian figures that the children either ignore or have to actively avoid to have fun.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Got woken up at 3am by what sounded like a seal next to our bed, but it was just the boy coughing and wheezing. We got him into the bathroom to try and see if steam from the shower would clear it up whilst we called the NHS advice line and ended up with a doctors appointment at the out of hours GP for 4am

The doctor there diagnosed croup, took his weight and gave him the correct dosage of a corticosteroid there and then. By 5 we were back in bed

Now he's on the other side of the loft happily watching Sean the Sheep on the sofa like nothing has happened. Happy to be missing school I guess

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular

"Sarah AND Duck"
    Quack
    "SARAH and Duck"
    Quack
    "SarahandDuck"
    Quack

That is a great show.

Whoops yeah I meant Bluey. We watched almost everything they have on Disney plus. I'll be sad when we dont have anymore.

I don't get how Bluey is comparable to Sarah & Duck though.

I find Sarah & Duck stuffy.
    Still good, but not Bluey fun.

• Options
    discrider wrote: »

"Sarah AND Duck"
    Quack
    "SARAH and Duck"
    Quack
    "SarahandDuck"
    Quack

That is a great show.

I don't get how Bluey is comparable to Sarah & Duck though.

I find Sarah & Duck stuffy.
    Still good, but not Bluey fun.

They both have the same sort of evolving imagination that plays out more like improv than other shows. They also are both very positive and sweet, with barely any negativity. They also have the same kind of humor, where all the silly stuff is just accepted at face value and incorporated.

• Options
    sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    I have never heard of any of these shows. Our boy (15 months) is disinterested in whatever we have on TV with a few rare exceptions. So far, we've discovered he likes

A. Macaulay Culkin
    and
    B. Awkwafina

I don't know what the Venn diagram for those two looks like, but our son is right in the middle

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    It still really bums me out that The Backyardigans is in streaming obscurity (the Noggin channel through Amazon?!) because it's my favorite show for little little kids. It was the first thing my older daughter would sit and watch and it's just great.

• Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    My kid hurt her arm on the playground yesterday. She says she feels fine now, but I'm afraid of hairline fracture based on how she's avoided using it.
    Tried urgent care yesterday (they have x-ray, and the hospital is always over-busy), and it was over an hour and a half wait, in a room full of coughing people. So we went home.
    She said she was fine this morning, so we're holding off on trying to go back for now. It doesn't help that she has major fomo and doesn't want to miss school for any reason, so I don't know if her arm really is feeling better..
    ugh.. I wish we could go someplace for this without worrying about the plague.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    Damn, the boy's all out of alignment

7am2sdaplj5p.jpg

Gonna have to go see if the hospital has any spare gyroscopes

Barring that, I suppose I could rotate the crib

640qocnq4ske.gif