As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Kids] are the best of times, the worst of times

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    that looks perfectly normal.

and oh my god that HAIR.

youtube right now, Ellie has been enjoying watching The Fixies and The Numberblocks. As well as Dr Binocs.

Tayo the little bus and Pororo still make an appearance, as does the random paw patrol or pj masks.

But mostly it's Fixies and Numberblocks.

I love them both.

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Elbasunu wrote: »
    discrider wrote: »
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    I've never seen Blooey before. This show is amaaaaaaazing. And perfectly scratches my Sarah and Duck itch.

"Sarah AND Duck"
    Quack
    "SARAH and Duck"
    Quack
    "SarahandDuck"
    Quack

That is a great show.

Not sure if you meant Bluey, or is there's also a Blooey show, but check out Bluey. Been making the Twitter rounds and it's good too.

Whoops yeah I meant Bluey. We watched almost everything they have on Disney plus. I'll be sad when we dont have anymore.

I don't get how Bluey is comparable to Sarah & Duck though.

I find Sarah & Duck stuffy.
    Still good, but not Bluey fun.

They both have the same sort of evolving imagination that plays out more like improv than other shows. They also are both very positive and sweet, with barely any negativity. They also have the same kind of humor, where all the silly stuff is just accepted at face value and incorporated.

I can sort of see this I guess.
    A fair few of Sarah & Duck's episodes are going to things though, rather than improv.
    And Duck's pretty negative.

• Options
    Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    So, good news bad news time!

Good News: Noh-nah has had a successful poop! he was so proud of himself too! we are all very excited. ABOUT POOP.

Bad News: His daycare has been shut down due to a parent testing positive for the COVID-19, and her child is show to have symptoms but hopefully is either very mild or unrelated cold.

luckily the military base in Denver,CO is being "shutdown" (its called something else, cant remember the official term) so he has someone to watch him at home.

I'm a little antsy but hoping for the better.

(doesnt help that we have a confirmed case here in North Texas, same city that i work out of too.)

I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• Options
    edited March 2020
    On a more positive note

We took Peanut... Noh-Nah, out of little gym and he is now doing fútbol!
    oqig41hd489b.jpeg
    dewjqfj52qab.jpeg
    qwhfigb7orwt.jpeg

HE IS GETTING SO BIG!

edit: pics in spoiler tags.

Devlin_Dragonus on

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Niko is still an adherent to the cult of Captain Underpants

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Anya has a fairly rigid internal clock these days and she’s really struggling with the time change. I love starting my day off by listening to a lot of screaming.

But...

We did achieve an important victory!

So, our kids being exceedingly white and also young, have greatly resisted our attempts to introduce spice and flavor to their diet. However, they like rice, they like chicken, so I persuaded Mori to cook a korma the other day.

And they liked it. And ate it.

It was very flavorsome, no heat, and we mixed spinach in.

Proof:
    2020-03-07%2017.34.22.jpg

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Well... today my almost 4 year old called me a nutsack

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    "Mommy, My Ghostbusters shirt doesn't fit anymore. It's too small."

Well, shoudl we maybe give it to somebody that it might fit?

"yes. We should give it to a three year old. Like Thomas. Thomas is a 3 year old."

Honey, Thomas's birthday is on Thursday. He's almost 4 just like you.

"But right NOW he's a 3 year old and so still younger so he should get my 3 year old clothes"

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Holy shit this Tangle Teezer is incredible! What sort of dark magic is this?!

And more importantly, why am I just hearing about this now?! Why isn't this in the OP?! What other magical parenting life-hack things do I not know about?

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    I’m glad you’re finding it useful!

Hmm, other parenting hacks...

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Janson wrote: »
    Hmm, other parenting hacks...
    If you do not want to leave the house, then tell your toddler this one magic spell: "we need to leave right now"

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    She turned 8 weeks yesterday. Time is simultaneously going too fast and too slow.

She’s still not sleeping more than 2 hours at a time at night cuz the farts wake her up... we did get a couple of nights over the weekend where she made it 4-5 hours at a time but that’s gone out the window again. Ugh.

We are trying this colic remedy to see if it’ll help her fart more comfortably, but all it’s seem to have done is make her grizzlier than usual.

Lucky she’s so dang cute.

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    Oh man, my son's school is closed next week. Uh oh, oh no, what do I do. He will tear the place apart if I don't set up activities for him.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Washington State just closed schools for more than a month for the three most populated counties.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    Washington State just closed schools for more than a month for the three most populated counties.

I'm just waiting for it to hit Lewis County at some point, TBH. My son will be maximum disappointed.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    Yup, that includes us! Anya and Niko are our of school until April 24...

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »

I'm just waiting for it to hit Lewis County at some point, TBH. My son will be maximum disappointed.

It already has, but we don't have the tests to prove it. I can't imagine anywhere has managed to avoid some level of infection, except maybe Antarctica.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »

It already has, but we don't have the tests to prove it. I can't imagine anywhere has managed to avoid some level of infection, except maybe Antarctica.

Apparently there were 9 folks being tested in Lewis County (as of, like, yesterday); 5 came back negative, 4 were pending.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    There's still time to catch a flight for Madagascar....

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    My son's preschool in Kirkland follows the rules of the schools in the area and closed until the 24th. My daughter's preschool is staying open for the time being.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    If the major disease vectors are schools, public transport, and major gatherings/events, then it makes sense to shut them down sooner rather than later. It’s just a really hard call to make given the massive impact it has on people’s daily lives, especially because by the time you definitively know you have to make that call, it’d be too late!

Being Chinese, I’ve been following how things are going on the mainland. Some of the government’s measures were no doubt controversial, but I have to acknowledge that in China, we’re talking about massive, dense populations with above average rates of respiratory illness. You don’t want to mess around with those demographics. And you can’t argue that those measures have been effective. They’re now continuing to impose a 14-day self-isolation period for anyone flying into China regardless of point of origin, because the fear now is of re-infection from other countries.

We are okay here in Western Australia, but we’re also 4 weeks to school holidays. I expect the Aussies will try to ride it out, maybe start holidays a week earlier.

Vivixenne on
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Massachusetts superintendents are meeting tomorrow to determine if they will do a coordinated closing for the next several weeks.

Edit: it's a teleconference. Smart!

Edit2: school's canceled tomorrow so they can "assess the impact of COVID19"

Woo hoo! Time for some Forza 7!

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    We've got an extra 2 weeks closed after March break in Ontario.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Turns out the child in Noh Nahs class was negative for the virus, but the base (which includes the day care) is still closed for the next 12 days.

Big sigh of relief, still gonna keep him home the whole time which may or may not be tough (depends how many cars he has to play with).

Devlin_Dragonus on

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    I'm glad international audiences are getting into Bluey

A friend of mine back in Australia is the lead editor. He won a Logie (Australia's version of an Emmy) for it!

• Options
    Anya watches a fair amount of Australian TV! The Little Lunch and The Inbestigators (yes, B instead of V) seem like decent live-action viewing for the 7-9 crowd!

• Options
    edited March 2020
    “Yes, B instead of V”, aka Theia at 4:45 pm, when Blake gets home and I cease to exist.

Vivixenne on
  • Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Son is finally feeling better and keeping formula down. He's been sick for a few weeks now, mainly with a cough that would make him puke if he coughed too hard.

Then he got a virus.

Now he's still got a cough but not as bad as earlier. Doctor seems unconcerned.

We have basically had to restart weaning him as his gag reflex seems really sensitive at the moment, probably due to all the puking he's been doing.

Tonight has been the first night me and my wife have slept in the same bed for about 10 days!

• Options
    My eldest is using her time at home to finally take out her microscope. She's recruited her little sister to be her lab assistant and now they're outside collecting moss in the hope of finding tardigrades.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    Hey Vivixenne,

We had issues with gas and bloating with Bea around that age as well. I did a lot of bicycle motions with her legs as well as pressing her knees up to her abdomen and gently massaging her belly to help. This also helped when she got super constipated about a month later.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    We've got two weeks off of school here, we're all going to be home! I'm assuming they'll have some kind of remote curriculum they're supposed to do but we don't have details yet.

• Options
    Tardigrade search done. We played Machi Koro a little but I won both times and no one wants to play anymore. We thought about going ice skating but the rink is closed. Kids are getting bored. Two weeks of this? I'm doomed.

• Options
    So hey, with schools closing for weeks and weeks. I am disproportionally stressed about being stuck at home with Little King. How would y'all handle something like this? What kind of challenges or alternative learning would you cook up?

One thing I thought off was to go out in nature and do projects with recognizing flowers and bugs. @DisruptedCapitalist seems to have this down pad with a fucking microscope. What kind did you get her? How did she learn about tardigrades? My girlfriend was watching the Journey to the Microcosmos

• Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    Our older kid's birthday is next week -- we had a party planned where he + friends would go to the all-you-can-play pinball arcade and eat burgers and fries and play pinball. And, yeah, that's not the plan any more..

Comparing it to previous party events we've had, I can't honestly think of a _worse_ option than that particular combination of things, ugh. (and yes, if this turns out to be "the bad effects of covid on our family" it's a very minor one, but it still feels like unfortunate timing)

• Options
    edited March 2020
    @Aldo, I think her interest in tardigrades are thanks to this forum. I first became aware of them probably because someone posted a video so I shared the video with her. Later I discovered I could purchase stuffed tardigrade toys, so I got her this for Christmas when she was eight:

ww9wofwkgzvr.jpg

Then last year she was asking me where tardigrades live so we looked it up and apparently the answer is locally! So I figured I'd get her a microscope for Christmas (just a kids version). We only just got around to using it today

DisruptedCapitalist on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    I've started having repeatable success with putting on old episodes of Nemone's Electric Ladyland when Nending is otherwise inconsolable with her small baby problems.

It seems she just loves EDM.

excellent

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Oh my god. My eldest asked for me to teach her how to play Dwarf Fortress.

• Options
    edited March 2020

Well geez, now don't go and make all the rest of us look bad with your microscopes and Dwarf Fortresses.
    I'm kidding, this is awesome. Way to go dude

Aldo on
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

One does not play Dwarf Fortress.