Options

Outer Wilds - Space Exploration, 22 Minutes At A Time

• Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    Just over a month until the DLC releases.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    Senna1Senna1 Registered User regular
    Ending done.
    What a trip. I'll admit I paused for a couple cycles when I got inside Ash Twin and read the note about "removing the core will deactivate the project".

And then the first real run I made at the ending I flew into the sun on the way from Ash to Dark Bramble because the autopilot gives zero fucks.

It's funny, because my brain kept finding ways to avoid what was going to be the most obvious ending. I had somehow convinced myself that activating the Vessel would let me warp to where the remaining Nomai were, related to the messages the ship was still receiving, and that something would happen from that point. I think SO many games are about, "solve the world/universe-ending calamity by doing the things" that I just kept trying to tie up the loose ends to get to that point, rather than pay attention to the multiple, and literal, indications that the game's universe IS ending.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    It's a hell of a thing, isn't it? :D

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Maybe I'm a dumbass and everyone realized this themselves the first time through. But I was watching a streamer do their first play-through, and they found a direct route to one bit of information that is normally much, much harder to obtain.
    Namely, the jellyfish containing Feldspar's note about their electricity-insulating ability is accessible from the outside of Dark Bramble. You can just fly there, no anglerfish-dodging required. And while the streamer didn't realize that he could walk into the opening in the branch, it looks like that opening is entirely available to you (seen somewhere around the 2:54:45 mark).

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1158216769?t=02h51m03s

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    By the by, Nextlander this week had an interview with the head of Mobius. No spoilers, but some great insight into the game.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Head's up: Reviews for the DLC are starting to hit.

Please be careful with your spoilers.

• Options
    edited September 2021
    OMG this is everything I ever wanted. :D

I also love how they are lampshading some of the quality of life improvements.

Edit: No spoilers, and I don't wanna keep bumping this thread.

Just a head's up that for whatever reason, my button prompt hints were turned off. And as a result, I literally thought the game had crashed because I forgot the button to wake up.

Athenor on
  • Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    So I have a DLC question, I think this must be late game DLC, so just be warned:
    In the Shadow Zone, I was just wandering around and exploring, and got to the river loop, and went to the area I was able to. I was feeling kind of stuck, but then I read some light hints about guards that can catch you? I have not encountered anything in the zone, there is the shadow of one on the wall at one point, but you can't get to him. And i definitely do not have the "turn off the scary stuff" turned off.

Also, not as late DLC but basically midway:
    I found a slide reel that shows the ship being damaged. Am I correct that you can't fix that outside? I wasn't sure, I tried to do a spacewalk but nothing was interactible.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    What the fuck

- Baidol, 2021 upon entering the main DLC location for the first time

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Baidol wrote: »
    What the fuck

- Baidol, 2021 upon entering the main DLC location for the first time

My reaction was just "whoa".

I think I finished the DLC. There was no credits or achievement pop, but I saw what seems to be the main thing and I have no more unexplored things in the ship log.

• Options
    burboburbo Registered User regular
    So is the consensus that if we loved Outer Wilds, we will also enjoy the DLC?

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    cursedking wrote: »
    So I have a DLC question, I think this must be late game DLC, so just be warned:
    In the Shadow Zone, I was just wandering around and exploring, and got to the river loop, and went to the area I was able to. I was feeling kind of stuck, but then I read some light hints about guards that can catch you? I have not encountered anything in the zone, there is the shadow of one on the wall at one point, but you can't get to him. And i definitely do not have the "turn off the scary stuff" turned off.

Also, not as late DLC but basically midway:
    I found a slide reel that shows the ship being damaged. Am I correct that you can't fix that outside? I wasn't sure, I tried to do a spacewalk but nothing was interactible.

First answer:
    As you get further they'll turn up.

Second:
    You can't fix that, no, but it's worth taking a look at that spot

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    burbo wrote: »
    So is the consensus that if we loved Outer Wilds, we will also enjoy the DLC?

i'm pretty sure i've finished it, and yes I would say that. very very very very good/incredible

cursedking on
  • Options
    What seems to be my final question about the dlc
    In the burned slide rooms, I still have something to explore.

I assume it has to do with the digitizing device, but I don't really know what to do with it? I've put some burnt slides in, and also one of the complete slides, but nothing seems to happen.

Also, Ending question, really, the ending really really really:
    really
    It seems like once you free the prisoner, he kills himself, right? like he walks into the water? And since his body is dead, he will die once he leaves the simulation.

And there's no way for you to come back from the simulation on that run, because you have to kill yourself to free him.

• Options

I assume it has to do with the digitizing device, but I don't really know what to do with it? I've put some burnt slides in, and also one of the complete slides, but nothing seems to happen.

really
    It seems like once you free the prisoner, he kills himself, right? like he walks into the water? And since his body is dead, he will die once he leaves the simulation.

And there's no way for you to come back from the simulation on that run, because you have to kill yourself to free him.

First question
    For each of the slide burning rooms I only have two entries and it does not say I have anything else to explore.
    One entry about there being burned slides and a weird machine. A second entry about the slide I found in that room.

Ending
    I guess so. There doesn't seem to be anything after the projection of the two of you sailing off on a boat.

I feel like I should try it on a fresh save file to see if it makes a difference if you can't tell him about the nomai vessel.

• Options
    Peewi wrote: »

really

First question
    For each of the slide burning rooms I only have two entries and it does not say I have anything else to explore.
    One entry about there being burned slides and a weird machine. A second entry about the slide I found in that room.

Ending
    I guess so. There doesn't seem to be anything after the projection of the two of you sailing off on a boat.

I feel like I should try it on a fresh save file to see if it makes a difference if you can't tell him about the nomai vessel.
    I actually did do it on a fresh save, and I did tell him stuff I didn’t really know yet in the game

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Ugh I'm so keen for the DLC but I'm trying to be good with money and my budget software is being a dick and telling me I can't really afford videogame stuff this month. Being a responsible adult sucks.

Very glad to hear it's good, I'm excited to do new space mysteries.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    DLC late game thoughts
    This DLC is heavily running out of steam. I've pretty much explored all of the waken stuff, and I don't have any leads in the dreaming stuff, so I'm at a bit of a loss. I guess I need to wander around the dreamscapes some more, but the flood knocking you out of the early ones is incredibly annoying when you're wanding around aimlessly. It's the timeloop cut off in half of the time!

It's a shame because I love Outer Wilds and this DLC was pretty cool so far.

• Options
    Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    edited September 2021
    Ugh I'm so keen for the DLC but I'm trying to be good with money and my budget software is being a dick and telling me I can't really afford videogame stuff this month. Being a responsible adult sucks.

Very glad to hear it's good, I'm excited to do new space mysteries.

@Brovid Hasselsmof What system/ecosystem do you have Outer Wilds on?

Blackhawk1313 on
  • Options
    burboburbo Registered User regular
    Yeah, I really want to play this, but I just got a PS5 last Friday, and my birthday is coming up this weekend and I suspect I am going to get some games from my lady, I'm feeling like I should play whatever she buys me (if, in fact, she does).

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited September 2021
    DLC late game thoughts
    This DLC is heavily running out of steam. I've pretty much explored all of the waken stuff, and I don't have any leads in the dreaming stuff, so I'm at a bit of a loss. I guess I need to wander around the dreamscapes some more, but the flood knocking you out of the early ones is incredibly annoying when you're wanding around aimlessly. It's the timeloop cut off in half of the time!

If you don't know what to do in the dream, then you probably haven't explored enough of the waking world yet.

If you need a hint:
    You should've found four different fires by now, if you haven't then you need to find one. If you have found the fourth fire, exploring that dream should give some big clues as to what to do next.

Anyway, this DLC was incredible and thoroughly seals this game as my favorite of all time. Everything about the themes and environments and aesthetics of it were exactly what I wanted.

Also, to those who have finished the DLC:
    try reaching the end of the base game again. You'll find it just a little different.

Winky on
  • Options

really

First question

Ending

I actually did do it on a fresh save, and I did tell him stuff I didn’t really know yet in the game
    You still tell him significantly less than if you do it on a 100% save, but at a minimum you tell him that the Nomai came because of the signal from the eye, that the Nomai are dead now, and that you're a space explorer because you were inspired by the Nomai.

• Options
    DLC late game thoughts

The dreaming early areas both have shortcuts you can open so you can explore them from the cliffs.

• Options
    DLC finished thoughts
    Im still marking out about the dreaming puzzles. I think it’s probably the best puzzle sequence ive experienced? Each of the three “knowledges” you get surprised me and delighted me, the lack of the codes frustrated me, the realization of how to circumvent that made me feel like a genius. It’s just, holy shit.

• Options
    DLC finished thoughts
    Im still marking out about the dreaming puzzles. I think it’s probably the best puzzle sequence ive experienced? Each of the three “knowledges” you get surprised me and delighted me, the lack of the codes frustrated me, the realization of how to circumvent that made me feel like a genius. It’s just, holy shit.

Yeah
    The last minute fake-out of the codes all being burned was so great. It turned a bog-standard boring predictable puzzle into an awesome one as you slowly realize how you're going to circumvent the whole thing.

• Options
    DLC end
    Did anyone else find any of the "glitch" puzzle solutions before finding the hints?

I decided on my own to see what would happen if I left the artifact behind, leading to me funding the invisible bridges.

Don't think I would have thought of jumping off the boat or the suicide without the hints, though.

• Options
    DLC end
    Did anyone else find any of the "glitch" puzzle solutions before finding the hints?

I decided on my own to see what would happen if I left the artifact behind, leading to me funding the invisible bridges.

Don't think I would have thought of jumping off the boat or the suicide without the hints, though.
    I figured out that you could be dead, but didn’t connect that would solve the hearing problem. I had basically gotten caught out and knew the loop was about to restart, so I cooked myself in the fire and then woke up in the world and was like woahhhhhh

• Options
    I can't wait to go through this thread. I'm getting closer, but I had to choose between making the final push and sleeping / working in the morning. I'm not convinced I made the right choice yet, but I should have a fun evening tomorrow. :D

• Options
    LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I... do not like the DLC. Specifically, the later bits. I know what I need to do; I've gone full spoiler on it out of frustration, but I just do not want to do it. I've experienced the consequences of failure twice now, and I'm out. A disappointing blemish on a game I otherwise adore.

QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    I... do not like the DLC. Specifically, the later bits. I know what I need to do; I've gone full spoiler on it out of frustration, but I just do not want to do it. I've experienced the consequences of failure twice now, and I'm out. A disappointing blemish on a game I otherwise adore.
    If you're already going full spoiler, you should know that you can almost entirely skip all the stealth sections.

• Options
    edited October 2021

So one thing that helped me significantly in getting over what I'm sure you are talking about, is the fact that I could "reset" quickly. Like if I failed, I could try in a matter of seconds, or a minute at most. This meant that while I was certainly getting frustrated, it became a matter of brute forcing the problem. And I'm glad I did. Examples in Spoilers.

Outer Wilds Base Game:
    Specifically Dark Bramble:
    I think the part that annoyed people the most about Dark Bramble was the reset time. If you make a mistake, you die, and therefore have to start all over. That means going up the tower, getting the ship ready, launching to Dark Bramble (before they improved the nav system), and making another attempt. If you ditched or tried to run, the anglerfish would be out of position and basically screw up the attempt.

Outer Wilds DLC (late stages):
    Conversely, when you get to the Endless Canyon and the lodge and figure out its mystery, and the spoopy stuff starts... The patrols always reset to the exact same positions when you wake up. Further, you can shake off / hide from the patrols in a pinch. And you can actually outrun them. So it's a lot more forgiving compared to the anglerfish. And if you fail, you just groan a little and immediately go back in.

Also, there are shortcuts everywhere. Again with the Endless Canyon, I found a shortcut that takes you immediately to the extinguish point. Combine that with a shortcut on the Stranger, and I could get back to making attempts in about 2 minutes after a reset - early enough that I could hear the solar sails deploy after like 3-4 attempts. So again... Frustrating, but no where near as bad as the base game. In fact, I had a "There's more to explore here" in the Ship's log after the fact and I just.. was.. annoyed as hell, but I blitzed through the frustrating section in a couple minutes next loop because I had refined things so well.

Athenor on
  • Options
    Winky wrote: »
    If you're already going full spoiler, you should know that you can almost entirely skip all the stealth sections.

yeah, full dlc spoilers
    the beauty of the dlc is that the stealth sections are set up to be the challenge. but they're not! Not really. You absolutely can do them straight. but the point is to learn how to not play by the rules.

You're not there to play their game, you're there to do a jailbreak.

• Options
    Banged my head against this DLC for a couple of hours, got supremely frustrated, wrote up a scathing rant about it for this thread, and was about to finish up when I had an epiphany. I immediately jumped into the game and made some progress. Still stuck, but less stuck than before. Was really hoping to polish the DLC off yesterday but not quite there yet.

• Options
    where are you at

• Options
    where are you at
    I've gotten the "solution" for the first puzzle lock, but I'm not sure how to progress through the other two dream areas. I have a theory, but I suspect it's not going to pan out. (Depends on if the sentry bells are tied to whatever fire you're using, or are tied to the fire of the dream zone your in.)

I still have a code locked door near the dam to get through and my rumor chart says there's something left to explore in the final puzzle lock room, but I'm not sure if it's just talking about the puzzle or not.

• Options
    where are you at
    I've gotten the "solution" for the first puzzle lock, but I'm not sure how to progress through the other two dream areas. I have a theory, but I suspect it's not going to pan out. (Depends on if the sentry bells are tied to whatever fire you're using, or are tied to the fire of the dream zone your in.)

I still have a code locked door near the dam to get through and my rumor chart says there's something left to explore in the final puzzle lock room, but I'm not sure if it's just talking about the puzzle or not.
    If you gotten one of the puzzle locks already then I assume you've already seen the vision hidden in the puzzle lock room?

If so, the solutions to the other two dream areas should be spelled out for you, and it's just a matter of getting through the (admittedly difficult) sections.

• Options
    I just beat the DLC, and had a very similar experience. I was getting supremely frustrated, because I knew what I needed to do but could not execute. Then I suddenly realized/noticed something.. and everything clicked into place. Until I had another brick wall, but that one was much simpler to figure out.

Still my favorite game of all time. Now to go back and read the spoiler tags here and at Nextlander!

• Options
    where are you at

If you gotten one of the puzzle locks already then I assume you've already seen the vision hidden in the puzzle lock room?

If so, the solutions to the other two dream areas should be spelled out for you, and it's just a matter of getting through the (admittedly difficult) sections.
    I actually hadn't seen the vision and had managed to brute force my way into one of the puzzle solutions. :biggrin:

Sadly, now that I've seen teh vision and done the associated stuff, I just need to do the stealth sections and holy god do these suck. Just the most unpleasent implementation of stealth I have ever seen shoehorned into an otherwise great game. Unless I'm missing something and the idea that you can't even fucking FIND one of these owls without alerting it, forcing you to stumble around in complete darkness.. like.. who thought this was fun?

I'm just going to go look up a walkthough. This is stupid and needed more playtesting.

• Options
    edited October 2021
    where are you at

I actually hadn't seen the vision and had managed to brute force my way into one of the puzzle solutions. :biggrin:

Sadly, now that I've seen teh vision and done the associated stuff, I just need to do the stealth sections and holy god do these suck. Just the most unpleasent implementation of stealth I have ever seen shoehorned into an otherwise great game. Unless I'm missing something and the idea that you can't even fucking FIND one of these owls without alerting it, forcing you to stumble around in complete darkness.. like.. who thought this was fun?

I'm just going to go look up a walkthough. This is stupid and needed more playtesting.
    They don't react immediately to your light, and when they do see you they have to use their own lantern to find you if you conceal yourself, so getting around them is about tactically planning out your path, then alerting them, and then concealing yourself and using their lanterns to orient yourself, rinse repeat. Also you can outrun them. It's honestly not as hard as it initially seems.

Also worth noting that turning on "reduced frights" makes them trivial to run away from as they'll move very slowly.

That said, you can almost entirely skip the stealth sections. One you can do without any advanced knowledge if you just think a bit beforehand, but the other is a bit hard to figure out unless you've already beaten that section before.

I honestly enjoyed the stealth sections, but I can see why people get so frustrated with them.

Winky on
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    where are you at

if you have seen the first vision (meaning, the one that you find in the big mansion, in the cliffside village fire room), then you know that you don't have to stealth in any area at all.

edit: or rather, that you can make them trivial

cursedking on