As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Outer Wilds - Space Exploration, 22 Minutes At A Time

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »
    I’m a little worried. Don’t click unless you’re at least partways into the DLC.
    I find every single second of playing this game pretty much terrifying.

So to find out there’s a part of this that I haven’t even gotten to that actually necessitated some trigger warnings and an option to turn those frights down is, uh…hmm.

Even the horrified faces of some of the owldeer dudes on those slide reels are kind of terrifying.

Everything about this game fills me with foreboding existential dread.

Welcome to Outer Wilds!

Seriously though, I would recommend turning on that mode then. But yes, the atmosphere is definitely... eerie.

Really :/

I think I’ll brave it but I may have to in the end.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I’m a little worried. Don’t click unless you’re at least partways into the DLC.
    I find every single second of playing this game pretty much terrifying.

So to find out there’s a part of this that I haven’t even gotten to that actually necessitated some trigger warnings and an option to turn those frights down is, uh…hmm.

Even the horrified faces of some of the owldeer dudes on those slide reels are kind of terrifying.

Everything about this game fills me with foreboding existential dread.

Welcome to Outer Wilds!

Seriously though, I would recommend turning on that mode then. But yes, the atmosphere is definitely... eerie.

Really :/

I think I’ll brave it but I may have to in the end.

I'm just saying based on the way you described your first reactions, and knowing what the mode does (which I'm not gonna spoil).

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Yeah I hear you. Thank you.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I'm curious to replay the DLC with that setting on and see what it changes. I wonder if it affects any of the base game as well. Like turns fish into kittens.

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    I honestly couldn’t tell a difference with it on.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    I'm basically creating my own little frights.
    I mistook a chair for something nefarious.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I found the noises the scariest (all DLC spoilers)
    The footsteps from the floor above when you're in the well village got me every time. The weird panpipe howl the ghosts did when you turned out lights. The creepy fucking music in the fireplace hall. Even the music that played when you got into the secret archives was just super dark and ominous.
    This game has amazing sound design.

• Options
    Won't click on that yet, but totally agreed. They use sounds and music to great effect.

At this point, whenever I hear
    that DUN-dun near the end of a loop I just meditate because I can't bear another supernova. This game has made me fearful of supernovas. I have supernovaphobia.

• Options
    Also I'm pretty sure that toward the end of the main game, pre-DLC (MAJOR SPOILERS FOR PRE-DLC MAIN GAME):
    The game detects when you're carrying the charged warp code from Ash Twin and queues up basically a racing the clock/CHASE SONG upon entering Dark Bramble which is just perfectly timed and goddamned amazing.

• Options
    Yeah definitely. It gave me heart problems first time I heard it.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Yeah definitely. It gave me heart problems first time I heard it.

It makes you literally question what you are doing. It is fantastic, and a fun moment when streamers hit it.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Damn it, Outer Wilds. You scare the shit out of me.

• Options
    YOU GOT THIS! *cheers*

• Options
    Very spoilery question (don't read it unless you've beaten Echoes of the Eye):

Note: I'm not looking for a spoilery answer here, just...a question about accessibility, I guess.
    I finally encountered my first owl man dude in the forest. Wasn't so bad.

Is that the subject of the reduce frights/scares thing? Or is something worse coming. Because while it's spooky to see a...defensive? malevolent?...semi-humanoid, anglerfish were worse. And I now have supernovaphobia. I can't even go through the supernova sequence anymore. I always just meditate.

Please don't tell me what it is if there is. I just want to know if I should should play at night or not.

And if anyone is willing to come over and hold my hand while I play.

• Options
    edited October 2021

Note: I'm not looking for a spoilery answer here, just...a question about accessibility, I guess.

Is that the subject of the reduce frights/scares thing? Or is something worse coming. Because while it's spooky to see a...defensive? malevolent?...semi-humanoid, anglerfish were worse. And I now have supernovaphobia. I can't even go through the supernova sequence anymore. I always just meditate.

Please don't tell me what it is if there is. I just want to know if I should should play at night or not.

Straight-up answer:
    Yes. Reduced Frights changes the behavior of the owl folk.

Athenor on
  • Options

Straight-up answer:
    Yes. Reduced Frights changes the behavior of the owl folk.
    Thank you. Considering that, I think it's middle of my list of fears. In Echoes of the Eye alone, I'm more afraid of (and I've done all of this):

Cracked my head open on some rocks, repeatedly
    Died to ghost matter, repeatedly
    Broken my ship flying into The Stranger, repeatedly
    Flew into the sun (don't ask)
    Fallen through a hole in a wooden cabin to my death
    Fell off my raft
    And so on

I was worried the first owl folk guy was gonna eat me or something but all he does is rather tenderly blow out my artifact thingie's flame thingie.

The owl dude's horrified face in the reels was more horrifying than the real life (or whatever) dude.

• Options
    Man (huge DLC spoilers)
    The severe lack of time you have to explore the river lowlands dreamworld or whatever is frustrating. The flood comes so quickly.

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    One small tip on that point
    You can travel between the different dream areas if you open the entrance from the river (I think it's a ladder for that one)

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Thanks. At this point I think I'm OK without spoilers or hints, was just venting.

If I continue to run into issues I'll contemplate clicking on that. Thank you, though!

Drez on
  • Options
    I bet I know what the tip is, @JayKaos. I forgot about it last night.
    I know you can unlock a door back to the dock. That's the riverboat raft. So I guess you can enter the riverlands dream entrance thing, then exit and reenter from the river, giving you more time.

• Options
    The only thing I love more than Outer Wilds is hearing people experience Outer Wilds, so this has been great Drez. :D

• Options
    So that worked.

(Huge DLC spoilers.)
    Now I gotta fall off a raft, I guess. On purpose. D:

This DLC has gone places I really didn’t expect.

• Options
    Oh lord, I can already tell this is going to be my favorite part of the DLC.

• Options
    OK so unless I'm misunderstanding where everything is heading, I think I'm close to the end or getting close to it.

• Options
    End of weekend Captain's Log:

(MAJOR DLC endgame spoilers):

No hints wanted, just sharing an update and some thoughts.
    I met the Prisoner.

Beats the fuck out of me what else I'm supposed to do now, though, especially since the only way I seem able to do anything is start a new loop. He showed me his and I showed him mine and then he had his stick out on the beach with another vision but I don't know where he went. He seemed to want me to come follow in his raft and Orinoco Flow with him.

I'll think about it tomorrow.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited October 2021

I met the Prisoner.

Beats the fuck out of me what else I'm supposed to do now, though, especially since the only way I seem able to do anything is start a new loop. He showed me his and I showed him mine and then he had his stick out on the beach with another vision but I don't know where he went. He seemed to want me to come follow in his raft and Orinoco Flow with him.

Think of it like the quantum moon. What did you do after finally meeting Solanum.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    drez i know you didn't ask for hints/spoilers but it's kind of straightforward and if you just want an answer:
    it's symbolic. remember that in order to see the prisoner, your body has to die. his body has been dead for millennia.

by walking into the water, he killed himself. And he knows your body is dead too, in order to find him. He is inviting you to journey with him into death.

That's the end of the dlc, aside from, as US mentioned, there is now an added bit to the ending.

cursedking on
  • Options
    edited October 2021

I met the Prisoner.

Think of it like the quantum moon. What did you do after finally meeting Solanum.

Major DLC and original non-DLC spoilers:
    So I admit I started googling "Did I actually finish the Outer Wilds DLC?" And it sounds like I basically did, at least all the content new to the DLC. So I don't consider clicking on your spoiler a real spoiler. Based on your comment, I assume I have to beat the normal game. I had no real intention of beating the game again, but I guess that makes sense. I might as well just wrap it up tonight.

By the way, the real answer to your question (for me) is: About 20-30% of the game was left. Apparently, I found Solanum much earlier than most people based on what I read after the fact. I assumed it was a necessary thing to do. Did not even have a clue there were multiple endings until after I beat the game and started clicking around the web. Definitely found him in the latter half of the game but if memory serves, there were a lot of puzzles left after I found Solanum.

I didn't even figure out (or rather I didn't really do the work) in properly getting to the Black Hole Forge until I started Echoes of the Eye. When I had trouble figuring out what the hell the radio tower was supposed to show me (I still feel dumb about that) I checked my log and realized I still had to find some stuff in the forge, I think. I finally went there the proper way. Previously, I just wedged my ship into Brittle Hollow and flip-landed right by the forge each time. The time I got inside the forge itself I first landed on the meltwater district first, raised the forge, then looped-the-loop to land on it.

Thank you!

Drez on
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    cursedking wrote: »
    drez i know you didn't ask for hints/spoilers but it's kind of straightforward and if you just want an answer:
    it's symbolic. remember that in order to see the prisoner, your body has to die. his body has been dead for millennia.

by walking into the water, he killed himself. And he knows your body is dead too, in order to find him. He is inviting you to journey with him into death.

That's the end of the dlc, aside from, as US mentioned, there is now an added bit to the ending.
    Got it. Thanks! That makes sense. Kinda cool that way. I just wasn't sure if I had actually finished it but yeah I get that.

Drez on
  • Options
    I absolutely love the last puzzle set in there, by the way.

Also I caught the latest Nextlander and it sounds like Vinny was the same way. :)

• Options
    Finished it! That was great.

• Options
    yeah, i think the dlc is the best stuff they put out, and i think completing the game after the dlc is pretty much perfect.

I get why some people had frustrations/reservations about the dlc but it charmed me the whole way through, honestly. I think what it does is just, really special.

• Options
    Literally the only real issue I had was the very very very very very beginning. Which is embarrassing.

Also, regarding one part that I cheesed (major DLC spoilers):
    I just now checked a few vids about how to handle the Secret Well without stealth. Very intricate and complicated videos designed to give you maximum time.

In my playthrough: After extinguishing the candles/lamps near the well, I literally just jumped out of the building and slid down the side of the mountain, then ran to the well in darkness. From there it was super easy.

The lodge was a real pain, though.

• Options
    I had the same issue Drez
    With not knowing that the DLC was done. I thought it was done when the prisoner went up in the lift, and then I had a vision about getting on a raft while stood next to a raft so felt like there was more I was meant to do. I think they could easily have made that bit way less ambiguous.

• Options
    I had the same issue Drez
    With not knowing that the DLC was done. I thought it was done when the prisoner went up in the lift, and then I had a vision about getting on a raft while stood next to a raft so felt like there was more I was meant to do. I think they could easily have made that bit way less ambiguous.
    It's a little abrupt, but I get it now.

• Options
    Anyway, I've been googling stuff like crazy now that I've beaten the DLC. There's a lot of secret things you can find.

MAJOR spoilers for the DLC (and some cool main game spoilers too). Don't click unless you've beaten both.

SERIOUSLY, DON'T CLICK THIS POST IF YOU HAVEN'T BEATEN THE MAIN GAME AND DLC
    I'm going to spoil some of the secret stuff I found (through YouTube). I'll double-layer it in case you want to hunt for any of these things yourself. These are extremely spoiler YouTube videos. Even the video titles are:
    Secret slide reel (unburnt/unabridged lantern test):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dldHmFX0FI
    Apparently, the second version artifacts can be found in a box in that room that you can use to blow yourself up, too.

Hidden music room:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTb1msFAtRg

They added the signal blocker to the area near the Eye of the Universe:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_e42weQpl_8&t=3s

Three new endings (this includes the ending that occurs after you beat the DLC and the main game which you should have already seen if you clicked on this thread; that is the third one in this video). The two ending "narrations" are at 6:50 and 10:05:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wonweUWh8s

I love the attention to detail in this game.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    I have done a ton of loops in the dlc and feel like I’m missing something.
    I’ve found all 4 major areas (lowlands, cinder, gorge, reservoir. I’ve found the projector rooms and watched the slides I’ve been able to find. I’ve found the lantern houses and the secret basement rooms full of dead guys. I’ve found the way across the broken bridge (via the gorge). I’ve found that sunken prison looking thing. There’s a couple other items I’ve picked up, like there was a room near the reservoir that I unlocked by reading the code with a probe.

What I haven’t been able to find is where to go to learn how the artifacts work.

I am looking for only the most basic of clues here, as in a very vague description of where to look to even start to learn more. Don’t just tell me what to do to actually use the artifacts please.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    I’ve found all 4 major areas (lowlands, cinder, gorge, reservoir. I’ve found the projector rooms and watched the slides I’ve been able to find. I’ve found the lantern houses and the secret basement rooms full of dead guys. I’ve found the way across the broken bridge (via the gorge). I’ve found that sunken prison looking thing. There’s a couple other items I’ve picked up, like there was a room near the reservoir that I unlocked by reading the code with a probe.

What I haven’t been able to find is where to go to learn how the artifacts work.

I am looking for only the most basic of clues here, as in a very vague description of where to look to even start to learn more. Don’t just tell me what to do to actually use the artifacts please.

It's in a slide.
    Did you see the explosion on the exterior of the ship?

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    rhylith wrote: »

It's in a slide.
    Did you see the explosion on the exterior of the ship?

I did not, I’ll go looking, thanks.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    I am pretty sure I found a secret in the DLC nobody has actually mentioned anywhere.
    In the big house after extinguishing the lights, you're supposed to go down to the basement. There is a secret there as well, shown in Drez's video.

However, if you go up, you can find a hallway with a patrolling guard that is almost impossible to get past. If you do get past (I janked him out getting spotted in a closet and then running past) you can leave the building via a balcony and jump up to the roof.

On the roof is a mask made of leaves and sticks. When you see it, kazooified shitty versions of the dlc music begins playing.

I ate an engineer