As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

operation prank Grey Ghost is complete in the [TV] thread

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I do like the first one but it's about twenty minutes too long

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    I do like the first one but it's about twenty minutes too long

They already said it was a Guy Ritchie movie

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I didn't like have a violent allergic reaction to the secon Guy Ritchie Sherlock movie but to me the most notable thing about it was the moment I realised Jared Harris looks exactly like Richard Harris, like spooky body double exactly, like I put on some old ass movie about the English Civil War with Richard Harris and I thought I was having some sort of episode

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    The fight scene at the end of Game Of Shadows is one of my favourite fight scenes ever, but I have a fundamental problem with a Sherlock Holmes movie where the best thing about it is the fight scene.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    RE: kung fu tv, was Into the Badlands any good? I saw a few clips but never even a full episode but I'm considering it as a treadmill show.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I watched the pilot and it made basically no impression on me

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    RE: kung fu tv, was Into the Badlands any good? I saw a few clips but never even a full episode but I'm considering it as a treadmill show.

If you like super comic booky, post apocalyptic kung-fu, go for it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    For some reason this reminded me of the existence of Holmes and Watson. And despite the fact I never saw it, I'm filled with in inexplicable amount of anger and bile now.

Gustav on
    aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Did Holmes and Watson even fuckin get released, did they show it in like one theatre in Alaska as a prank

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    it was released

it did not do well

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular

Into the Badlands is super great, has some really amazing fight choreography, and is diverse in some solid ways.

Its basically Mad Max but set in the American deep-south featuring kung fu.

The overall narrative is centered around people possessing a gift that is akin to the spirit of vengeance from Marvel comics but with kung fu.

Also, Nick Frost joins the show in the second season.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular

Into the badlands is exactly like a midtier anime

The premise of the setting of the show is kinda goofy but its also fun and interesting enough to get over it

The writing is okay, its not amazing but for the most part its not bad

The acting is mostly fine? Like some caharacters are hammy and some are serious but I think the performances are mostly good

The action is good, like I don't think its kung fu movie good but its better than the average tv show martial arts for sure

Characters and groups are color coded and each group has its own own like signature weapon its very silly

I enjoyed it though! And Nick Frost shows up on season 2 and hes very fun

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I saw Holmes & Watson opening day and I wish I could’ve lived like George Lucas watching the Star Wars Holiday Special driving to the studio axe in tow to destroy it

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    great, thanks all

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Diversifying cast often has to be framed as, "If you let us do this, it won't lose you money." A small, but key, distinction. It is safer and less risky to say, "We will do the popular thing exactly the same way the popular thing did it." It's a very risk-averse business, and people have to work hard to bring change.

Anyway, I've said my piece on all this. I think that viewing diverse casting through a purely capitalist lens is stultifying. I think it does a disservice to creatives and their motives, and I think it reinforces narrow, self-perpetuating worldviews. Love for a work need not be unconditional to be valid. Just my $0.02.

Hey @Poorochondriac I just wanted to say thanks for the chat, it was honestly the highlight of my day. I had to think for a bit about exactly why I immediately had that reaction. I'll try to remember what you've said for similar situations in the future. And try to get my thoughts out in something somewhere between the hot take and the long rant.

Also, my grandmother has repeatedly asked me when we'll get to watch something you've worked on, so...looking forward to that. Although I'm sure everyone else in the thread is, too.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I was honestly bummed out by Holmes and Watson, apparently, being complete fucking trash

Like I wasn't expecting a masterpiece, but I could get down with another dumb fun Ferrel/Reilly romp, and it sounds like it utterly failed at even providing that

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    The fight scene at the end of Game Of Shadows is one of my favourite fight scenes ever, but I have a fundamental problem with a Sherlock Holmes movie where the best thing about it is the fight scene.

The fight scene is great, but I actually think the best part of both movies is the chemistry between RDJ and Jude Law

Their Holmes-Watson dynamic makes those movies for me

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »
    Diversifying cast often has to be framed as, "If you let us do this, it won't lose you money." A small, but key, distinction. It is safer and less risky to say, "We will do the popular thing exactly the same way the popular thing did it." It's a very risk-averse business, and people have to work hard to bring change.

Anyway, I've said my piece on all this. I think that viewing diverse casting through a purely capitalist lens is stultifying. I think it does a disservice to creatives and their motives, and I think it reinforces narrow, self-perpetuating worldviews. Love for a work need not be unconditional to be valid. Just my $0.02.

Hey Poorochondriac I just wanted to say thanks for the chat, it was honestly the highlight of my day. I had to think for a bit about exactly why I immediately had that reaction. I'll try to remember what you've said for similar situations in the future. And try to get my thoughts out in something somewhere between the hot take and the long rant.

Also, my grandmother has repeatedly asked me when we'll get to watch something you've worked on, so...looking forward to that. Although I'm sure everyone else in the thread is, too.

It was a very good chat! I am glad we had it. Thanks for the in-depth thoughts and answers.

As soon as I have something out/something I can talk about, y'all will be the first to know, not to worry

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    sherlock holmes was a coked up voluntarily celibate socially inept weirdo who fairly regularly beat the shit out of people

I love basil rathbone holmes, but the character was not nearly that posh

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2019
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    sherlock holmes was a coked up voluntarily celibate socially inept weirdo who fairly regularly beat the shit out of people

I love basil rathbone holmes, but the character was not nearly that posh

he was a chemistry undergrad drop-out forced to set up his own business to pay rent, which just screams middle class.
    OTOH there's no way Mycroft could end up where he was (or be part of any London gentleman's club) without some family connections, so my best guess for social background is genteel but poor upper-middle. But not super posh, no.

tynic on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I could swear Holmes mentions once that they're landed gentry but that could also be any of the scads of unofficial material that have leaked into my brain

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I could swear Holmes mentions once that they're landed gentry but that could also be any of the scads of unofficial material that have leaked into my brain

He did, which is what lead to the fan-canon of an eldest brother named Sherrinford. Because the head of the family (father or eldest brother) would have to be living at the estate and managing things, and obviously Mycroft isn't doing that. And since Sherlock never mentions his parents, fans assume they're dead and there must be a brother older than Mycroft at the estate. The name Sherrinford comes from an early name for Sherlock.

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    We Did It
    Deadline wrote:
    Ewan McGregor is picking up his lightsaber again. The 48-year-old Scottish actor will reprise his role as Obi-Wan Kenobi in a yet-to-be-titled Disney+ series, Deadline has confirmed.

Details about the series following the Jedi master are being kept under wraps. McGregor played the younger version of the wise but irascible Star Wars icon in the three prequel films: The Phantom Menace (1999), Attack of the Clones (2002) and Revenge of the Sith (2005). McGregor also revisited the role to make a voice-only cameo in the Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015).

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Well hello there!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    MY BOY IS BACK

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/_7n65rVz95Y

This is hilarious, I don't know what I did for HBO to put so many of these on youtube, but I need to make sure to keep doing it.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    You guys just reminded me that I'm like 5 episodes behind on Elementary.

...is Elementary the best recent version of Sherlock, or is my taste just shit?

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Finally, this is the only thing I've wanted from Star Wars for awhile now and I worried that Solo had completely torpedoed any chance of us getting it

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Kamar wrote: »

I haven't seen it, but I've heard good things!

I've also heard it's maybe the only modern adaptation that does Irene Adler any kind of justice

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    If anyone is familiar with K dramas, I'm open to suggestions. Something with a nice humor/srs balance.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

This is hilarious, I don't know what I did for HBO to put so many of these on youtube, but I need to make sure to keep doing it.

Angela Bassett is a national treasure.

• Options
    If anyone is familiar with K dramas, I'm open to suggestions. Something with a nice humor/srs balance.

Like, recent or classic? Off a certain streaming service, or...?

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

The title of the episode is "Angela Bassett is the Baddest Bitch." They're not wrong.

Show's pretty good! Airs Fridays on HBO.

• Options
    is anyone else watching chris gethard presents? last night's episode, c.l.o.n. was so goddamned weird and good.

it's all up on youtube!! new episodes added on thursdays!!!

@straightzi get on that shit

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Kamar wrote: »

it is actually the best recent version of Sherlock, if only because it is the only one where Irene Adler gets to outsmart Sherlock and also not die

• Options
    if you need to be sold more on cgp, here is an intro to one of, what i think, the best goddamn things i have ever seen

https://youtu.be/sCfw3pr2az4

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    The title of the episode is "Angela Bassett is the Baddest Bitch." They're not wrong.

Show's pretty good! Airs Fridays on HBO.
    that little stinger at the end was pretty great. i mean, it was all good, but i rapidly went from "hm" at the nasality to loving her.

also, that delivery of "Can you tell us where this incredibly fucked-up feeling is coming from?" is just something i need to be able to loop on demand

lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular

Within the past ten years or so? I'm just entering the murky waters.

• Options

Within the past ten years or so? I'm just entering the murky waters.

Boys Before Flowers is on Hulu, and one of the few I know by name off the top of my head. There's a few others there as well.

It's also on another site, Viki, as Boys Over Flowers. This site seems to have quite a few exclusives (apparently) and a free trial. I also recognized Weightlifting Fairy, Absolute Boyfriend, I Am Not a Robot, Strong Girl, Reply, Oh My Venus, uh, and Oh My Ghostess.

...Boys Over Flowers is also on Netflix. Actually, looks like a lot of the shows are on both these two, apparently. I noticed a few of those repeating, but nothing else familiar. Oh, I remember people really liking Kingdom, which seems to be Netflix exclusive.

Problem is I just look up shows to try to find something interesting every few years and try to watch some but fail because I've got nobody to watch with and no motivation to keep up. The last one I watched was called Circle, on Dramafever, which is now dead. And it doesn't seem to have moved anywhere else.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    Hello My Twenties is a slice of life drama on Netflix that.. i dunno, it's a weird show, but it's got goofy charm along with WHOA curveball moments and unexpected swings at serious issues, and i watched the two seasons of it. 5 college-age girls have a room share, and you initially follow the fish out of water, shy country girl as the viewpoint character.

lfchwLd.jpg
This discussion has been closed.