As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MCU] Nevermind, just a case of the ol' ALF method.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    As someone who has only purchased The Winter Soldier out of all the MCU movies, I am quite interested in what will be in this Infinity Saga collection.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Legacy wrote: »
    Well, they announced an entire MCU box set for the Infinity Saga, which will have a bunch of deleted scenes in it. Like this alternate version of Iron Man's post-credit scene:

I really love raw footage like this. It's a lot of fun to see them setup the shot, the all quiet bell sounds, the actor centers on their marker, they sync the audio, the director shouts "action" and then magic happens.

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    Boy, I'm glad they didn't use that scene. "Whatever the hell we want" isn't really a good answer to what the Avengers are avenging, especially given that Fury has no particular reason to be angry or arbitrary there. (Compare: "Until such time as the world ends, we will act as though it intends to spin on." when the Tesseract might be about to blow up and kill a bunch of people, including Fury and Hill.) The team is devoted to tackling the biggest problems, not swinging their hammer and shield around, as it were.

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    It makes it sound like Fury created the Avengers just to power trip.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Eh, if nothing else I like the direct references to other characters. A happy middle ground could have been found, but of course, this was the start of the journey.

The more reserved teaser was the better call, and that they made good on that promise a decade later with two dozen quality films (usual caveat; not everything is for everyone, but I find even the bottom tier MCU to be generally enjoyable background fodder over the majority of stuff that comes out year to year).

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Pretty ballsy to reference
    Radioactive bug bites when they didn’t even have the rights back then

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    That and the Mutants nod probably was why it was cut/left unused. I imagine if it had made the cut, people would have endlessly speculated even further about their potential inclusion (or maybe it somehow hinted the previous films in those respective franchises could be retconned (proto-con?) into MCU.)

Regardless, it is amusing that they made such bold claims and they both eventually came true in their own weird ways

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    And then of course now it'll all come crashing down probably. We can't have nice things.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Eh, the MCU is in a spot now where really the only thing left hanging is how Spidey would deal with getting outed after accepting that he's basically taking over from Stark. That's really not that bad of a loose thread if they can't get it back in order with his own film, and we did get a couple excellent Spidey movies out of it anyway. Take out about thirty seconds of footage from the end of Far From Home and it is an excellent stop point as a epilogue for the end of Phase Three.

The MCU is definitely at a point where they could slow down the releases a ton and then switch over to a mutant setting (or getting the mutants into the MCU) and we'd still have an assload of great material to see. I think the Spidey stuff will definitely get resolved, but the MCU is hardly "crashing down" because of losing that one character. He's a great character, sure, but we've also still never actually seen a really great Xmen movie that didn't take a big dump on the source material in some major way. The Infinity Gauntlet run came off so much better than I could ever have hoped for, and the only thing I'd like maybe more than that would be to see the Phoenix Saga get the same treatment.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    And then of course now it'll all come crashing down probably. We can't have nice things.

Honestly, we have a nice thing. The Infinity Saga arc is done an completed and even if shit falls apart from here, they told that story and stuck the landing without someone inexplicably committing war crimes with a dragon amidst a boatload of dumb writing decisions. I will appreciate that forever.

• Options
    PerduraboPerdurabo Registered User regular
    Variations of the Dark Phoenix saga have been on the screen enough for the time being, I would really want them to go somewhere else for the foreseeable.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    The first iteration doesn't even count as an actual Phoenix anything, and nobody saw the latest attempt as it is.

Plus, a proper treatment of the mutants and the Phoenix Saga would put the conclusion about a decade down the road, which is plenty of time to get people to forget the shitty recent attempt. We wouldn't probably even see really solid information that the Saga is definitely happening for another five years anyway, so there would be several movies before it was certain the story was even moving down that track.

• Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    For me, it's all just prelude till we get an Excalibur movie.

Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Eh I've been seeing the Phoenix Saga since I was a kid watching cartoons on Saturday morning. It's up there with spiderman's origin story or seeing the Wayne's getting shot in an alley. I don't need to see it again really.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    They could tie the X-Men into the MCU's cosmic angle and bring the Brood in.

Or Mr. Sinister.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    I say, have Nathan Fillion grow a mustache and cast him as Corsair. It's Starjammers time, baby!

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    Presented without comment:
    https://youtu.be/l6WEvHsvzOQ

• Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    Unrealistic. They'd only put out a Night Monkey movie if it was solely owned by Marvel. :wink:

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    Out of all the possible Marvel things out there, I sincerely hope the next thing is a Fantastic Four arc, if only for the purpose of having the next big bad lording it over a bunch of movies is Doctor Doom presented for the first time ever on screen in a way that isn't so ... not the amazing stuff we got in the comics and a few cartoons. Doctor Doom easily presents a really interesting foil to more than just the Fantastic Four if done well.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    I mean, the guy is an Avenger's level threat depending on what weird shit he's up to so he could easily become the next big bad for the next arc if they do him right.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Out of all the possible Marvel things out there, I sincerely hope the next thing is a Fantastic Four arc, if only for the purpose of having the next big bad lording it over a bunch of movies is Doctor Doom presented for the first time ever on screen in a way that isn't so ... not the amazing stuff we got in the comics and a few cartoons. Doctor Doom easily presents a really interesting foil to more than just the Fantastic Four if done well.

Their safest bet is to just do the same thing they did with Spidey: skip the intro, have them just appear, and Doom is an established villain already.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    cj iwakura wrote: »

Their safest bet is to just do the same thing they did with Spidey: skip the intro, have them just appear, and Doom is an established villain already.

Eh yes and no. I think all the F4 movie's so far haven't really nailed down the family dynamic that well. So while we don't need another origin story, if anyone can finally get it right, it's Marvel.

I'm not sure if it was mentioned here or elsewhere, but I do like the idea of the old Avengers tower becoming the Baxter Building. And then by the end of the movie, Doom has launched it into space.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    "Villain?" He's the sovereign leader of a nation!

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    "Villain?" He's the sovereign leader of a nation!

"A villain? Clearly this is just once again the west trying to paint Latveria in the worst possible light. Doom will never cave to the demands of these imperialistic western cowards."

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    At this point I'd pick Dr. Doom over Trump any day of the week. At least Doom is a progressive authoritarian.

• Options
    NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    Doom's motivation is just that he quietly ruled Latveria for decades, until the snap. Which proves that the "heroes" cannot be trusted to keep us safe. They are failures and incapable. The world, clearly, needs a new ruler. Someone to knows what he is doing, and can guide us into a new era.

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    All hope lies in Doom

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Ninjeff wrote: »
    Doom's motivation is just that he quietly ruled Latveria for decades, until the snap. Which proves that the "heroes" cannot be trusted to keep us safe. They are failures and incapable. The world, clearly, needs a new ruler. Someone to knows what he is doing, and can guide us into a new era.

Doom would have to have been snapped, or he'd have fixed the whole thing himself. Probably in less than five years.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    I want a Coen Brothers MCU movie.

“Doom abides.”

• Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular

Spidey is one of the most well known superheroes there is, maybe the best known. Dr. Doom sounds like a joke character from the 50s. They have to build Doom from the ground up to make him work in the MCU.

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Nobeard wrote: »

Spidey is one of the most well known superheroes there is, maybe the best known. Dr. Doom sounds like a joke character from the 50s. They have to build Doom from the ground up to make him work in the MCU.

I think something as small as referring to him more as “Doom” instead of “Dr. Doom” makes him sound less silly. Sort of like how they refer to Doctor Strange just by his last name.

Poor guys, spending all that time at hero/villain medical school for nothing.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    I thought I'd pop in an earbud and watch Far From Home on my laptop at work today but 5 minutes into the movie, I just kind of want to turn it off. Knowing that we aren't getting a proper follow up to it just kind of kills all my enthusiasm for it.

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular

Was the Disney/Fox purchase done back when they made Civil War? If so, they missed a great opportunity to have Doom at the UN as the leader of Latvia. And again at the end of Black Panther. Maybe they'll do that in Black Panther 2?

sig.gif
  • Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Richy wrote: »

Was the Disney/Fox purchase done back when they made Civil War? If so, they missed a great opportunity to have Doom at the UN as the leader of Latvia. And again at the end of Black Panther. Maybe they'll do that in Black Panther 2?

It was not, but I still think something along those lines would be the best way to introduce him without an origin story.

LostNinja on
  • Options
    Pretty sure there's a moment in (I think) AoU where there's a map of the earth on screen, and you can see Latveria

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    I thought I'd pop in an earbud and watch Far From Home on my laptop at work today but 5 minutes into the movie, I just kind of want to turn it off. Knowing that we aren't getting a proper follow up to it just kind of kills all my enthusiasm for it.

Think of it this way; if and when (I think it's inevitable, personally) Sony and Marvel/Disney get this sorted out, you'll have an MCU flick waiting for you immediately on demand.

Most of us will have months or more to wait for a new movie (if not years until a given character/group returns to the screen).

In a way, it's kind of an advantage. Like saving it for a rainy day.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    I think they've made latveria references at least tangentially in the MCU.

• Options
    Disney has thus far surprised me completely by doing things like walking back on kicking Gunn out, so I'm optimistic they'll stop being shitheels about this at some point and stop trying to make their MCU earnings even more insane by taking a piece out of Sony's earnings.

I'd honestly rather Spidey stay out of the MCU and Sony not buckle than letting Disney become even more of a monopoly than it already is.

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Yeah, I don’t view Sony as any sort of sympathetic figure in this scenario.

I’d like to have Spider-Man in the MCU because he exists in the Marvel universe. Plus the reason why Sony is able to play hardball now is because the MCU/Sony partnership has greatly increased the value of live action Spider-Man movies.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Marathon wrote: »
    Yeah, I don’t view Sony as any sort of sympathetic figure in this scenario.

I’d like to have Spider-Man in the MCU because he exists in the Marvel universe. Plus the reason why Sony is able to play hardball now is because the MCU/Sony partnership has greatly increased the value of live action Spider-Man movies.

There are no sympathetic figures. It's just two huge corporations jockeying for profits. Trying to put it into an "us vs. them" is exactly what the corps want. Don't play into their game. It's just a character, it's just movies. NBD.

This discussion has been closed.