As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MCU] Nevermind, just a case of the ol' ALF method.

• Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    Why Japanese? I only really know the character from movies and the 90's cartoon, but isn't his time in Japan spent as a soldier with the Allies? I've got no beef with him being non white, but Japanese in particular seems like it changes the character significantly.

In the 80s, Claremont/Miller did a Wolverine mini where he goes to Japan that became a big hit and established the whole "ronin" vibe to his character. After that, his rogues gallery started expanding to feature more ties to Japan (Yuriko Oyama/Lady Deathstrike, who had a grudge because her father's research on Adamantium was stolen to make Wolverine's bones; Silver Samurai, whose deal I can't remember; and I think some more appearances of Mariko and Yukio)

A long while after that, when they started retconning his backstory (he previously had basically no history pre-Weapon X, mysterious amnesiac and all), they had him in Japan in I think the 30s getting trained in martial arts by Ogun, and then later in the 40s after the war where he had a wife who got fridged and a son he never knew about (Daken, who is the worst character that I hate very much)

So basically comic Logan is a big weeb who's fluent in Japanese and studied the blade and samurai honor and all that stereotypical stuff.

Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Why Japanese? I only really know the character from movies and the 90's cartoon, but isn't his time in Japan spent as a soldier with the Allies? I've got no beef with him being non white, but Japanese in particular seems like it changes the character significantly.

He had spent time in Japan prior to World War II.

But Logan being a Japanese actor was an idea expressed a while back that just dug in my mind's garden. I'll still note that I would be perfectly happy with a Native American actor also getting the part, I just would like Logan to be a bit more diverse the next time around (that attitude extends to the entire X-Men).

And with Logan's history with Japan, I think having him be Japanese works. You can still have him born in Canada, I'd just like to have more diversity in casting.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »

He had spent time in Japan prior to World War II.

But Logan being a Japanese actor was an idea expressed a while back that just dug in my mind's garden. I'll still note that I would be perfectly happy with a Native American actor also getting the part, I just would like Logan to be a bit more diverse the next time around (that attitude extends to the entire X-Men).

And with Logan's history with Japan, I think having him be Japanese works. You can still have him born in Canada, I'd just like to have more diversity in casting.

You could also have him be an ex-railroad worker from the early 1900's that went to Canada from the west. It's actually a pretty easy lift.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I don't think you need to change the race of any of the X-Men because they're already solidly diverse in all of comics, just pull an X-Men Evolution and have the different heroes join at different times to their comic counterparts and make others teachers. This was kind of set up too in the last two X-Men movies but all that had to be pushed aside to tell boring stories about that bald loser, that blue loser, and that magnet loser.

You got your Cyclops because he's the best, but then you also add Synch, Emma Frost, use Jubilee this time around, Sunfire, Siryn, Maggott, Sunspot and *spins wheel* Strong Guy.

And we just never use Jean Grey ever ever.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    TexiKen wrote: »
    I don't think you need to change the race of any of the X-Men because they're already solidly diverse in all of comics

And what about the movies?

6UxPSH0.jpg?1

Overall, we're looking a bit pale.

Zonugal on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Finally, I understand blue lives matter. They meant nightcrawler and his mom and fraiser

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Finally, I understand blue lives matter. They meant nightcrawler and his mom and fraiser

Kinda proves the point when fictional blue (played by white actors) has a plurality over the other minorities.

• Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    RedTide wrote: »
    Heir wrote: »
    Sorry, Reed Richards has to be played by John Krasinski.

Getting drunk and slurring through a diatribe about George Soros and Benghazi at an uncomfortable Ben Grimm

Wait, is this a dig about him playing Benghazi and Tom Clancy roles or is he actually a Curt Schilling type?

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    MorganV wrote: »

Kinda proves the point when fictional blue (played by white actors) has a plurality over the other minorities.

Hey now, they had some other minority actors.

Most of whom were promptly murdered after their first film and chopped up to find ways to hunt mutants and steal powers, with one of them being murdered by a racial purist.

Soooooo... yeah, the X-men movie franchise does not have a great handling of diversity.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    The X-Men should have a diverse cast.

Unfortunately, their writers are always white dudes.

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Carpy wrote: »
    RedTide wrote: »
    Heir wrote: »
    Sorry, Reed Richards has to be played by John Krasinski.

Getting drunk and slurring through a diatribe about George Soros and Benghazi at an uncomfortable Ben Grimm

Wait, is this a dig about him playing Benghazi and Tom Clancy roles or is he actually a Curt Schilling type?

If a pig keeps ending up covered in shit it's probably because they like it.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Speaking of X-Men and race, I heard the comics finally turned Psylocke back into a British woman, but her Japanese body is still running around? Do I want to know what the deal is with that?

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Speaking of X-Men and race, I heard the comics finally turned Psylocke back into a British woman, but her Japanese body is still running around? Do I want to know what the deal is with that?

It wasn't her body, it was someone else's body, and the person it belonged to is now back inside it. Has been for a while, I think.

• Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    The Japanese woman (Kwannon) now uses the name Psylocke as well (and for some reason the whole butterfly motive was also transplanted to her). Elisabeth, back in her original body, is now Captain Britain (again).

Dizzy D on
    Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    Yeah, xmen the comic series has always had a diversity of races and countries of origin (let's not forget a solid contingent of the white folks are from many different countries).
    A rewrite into the MCU could easily incorporate a lot of this. You could also slightly retcon it in as the mutants have been hiding and a different dept from SHIELD. Now post snap, perhaps they start getting more notice and people hate them as they take out the angst around Thanos etc. On any "enhanced" they see.

• Options
    Dizzy D wrote: »
    The Japanese woman (Kwannon) now uses the new Psylocke as well (and for some reason the whole butterfly motive was also transplanted to her). Elisabeth, back in her original body, is now Captain Britain (again).

Oh, they retconned it to a body-swap? I thought the Mandarin just waved his hands and made her Japanese or something. Then again, it was the 80s and I was 10.

• Options
    My X-Men MCU pitch is that they've been around for at least a decade but Charles Xavier has been erasing people's minds whenever they are discovered.

And then he is killed during the Snap and the world comes to discover them.

• Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    Still think the best post Snap move is Dr Doom. As much as I grew up on Xmen (I mean, just look at my silly nick), I am totally ok with them not showing up for a good while until Dr Doom gets a good run at the Avengers and Fantastic Four gets a chance to be done better than their previous releases that do not hold up well over the years (or even when they were released), not a single one that did Dr Doom even remotely well, at least in part because Thanos looming over several movies hadn't happened yet.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Actually, they could also codify the captain America time branch and kick off in the 50s in an alt history thing.
    Would also let them cameo the phase 1 people who died/left periodically.

schuss on
  • Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    I still want a Japanese actor to play Wolverine, but if we're okay with another white dude, it's gotta be Christian Kane.
    "Ever since I got these adamantium claws, I just can't control my EVIL HAND!"

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    I still like the idea of slowly establishing Doom over a few movies as the mysterious monarch of Latveria. Black Panther and Dr Strange would be good for this.

Then you get to an FF movie by having the FF start in the 60s as somewhat contemporaries of Pym etc. Establish the Richards/Doom rivalry there. Then the mission occurs cosmic rays and all, but they are thrown forward in time to modern day.

Let’s you get a well established Doom, Explains why The FF haven’t been around prior to now while still keeping the Richards/Doom dynamic. And there IS a vacant tower in NYC now. Maybe it was renamed to the Baxter Building after Stark moved upstate.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    I just don't see why it needs to be set in the 60s. They can be infused with cosmic rays today.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    I can't even begin to imagine the amount of incel outrage that will happen if/when a new X-Men team is announced with diverse cast of characters of different ethnicities and cultural backgrounds. You think it was bad when Black Panther and Captain Marvel were announced? Imagine what they will say about a franchise incels actually like. It makes me sick just thinking about the vitriolic rhetoric that will be flying back and forth.

• Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »
    I just don't see why it needs to be set in the 60s. They can be infused with cosmic rays today.

I think the idea is to create a cultural conflict and show the difference between modern and more Silver Age comic universes. Personally, I prefer the idea of them and Doom being from a Silver Age universe and they got trapped in the MCU.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Multiversal Doom that rules his version of the MCU gets intrigued by the universe that broke the laws of time and space to save themselves, maybe runs into them during Dr. Strange 2, and follows them back to MCU Prime.

• Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    If incels like X-Men they haven't been paying any attention to it. At all. Since before Claremont took over, even.

Nobody should ever give a shit about what they think.

Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    Reznik wrote: »
    If incels like X-Men they haven't been paying any attention to it. At all. Since before Claremont took over, even.

No one should but they are just about the most vocal minority we have on the internet. They are going to use every tool at their disposal to make sure you hear about it.

• Options
    That_Guy wrote: »

No one should but they are just about the most vocal minority we have on the internet. They are going to use every tool at their disposal to make sure you hear about it.

I mean, we're going to get hargle whargl whenever anything's announced that isn't 100% white dude-centric, so we may as well just keep moving on and ignore that hargle whargl.

• Options

I think the idea is to create a cultural conflict and show the difference between modern and more Silver Age comic universes. Personally, I prefer the idea of them and Doom being from a Silver Age universe and they got trapped in the MCU.

It’s also way to get Doom as Monarch and sorcerer and whatnot while still establishing him as having had a past in school with Richards.

It doesn’t necessarily have to be from the 60s I suppose. But definitely pre-Iron Man. Make sure they’ve been gone a good 20+ years.

• Options
    I've said it before and I'll say it again. Dr. Doom could be from Sokovia and rise to power in the wake of the Ultron incident.

• Options
    Also I’d love to see Richards setting up the Future Foundation in the MCU.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Sokovia has dominated two films, there's a big world out there.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

It’s also way to get Doom as Monarch and sorcerer and whatnot while still establishing him as having had a past in school with Richards.

It doesn’t necessarily have to be from the 60s I suppose. But definitely pre-Iron Man. Make sure they’ve been gone a good 20+ years.

s7bf8qszqdzh.png

This is the crossover I didn't know I wanted, and now demand happens.

• Options

Seriously. XMen/mutants have been a synonym for the civil rights movement since what, the 70s?

• Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    schuss wrote: »

Seriously. XMen/mutants have been a synonym for the civil rights movement since what, the 70s?

Ugh this just made me realize we're definitely going to get a hamfisted, tone-deaf "Mutant Lives Matter" scene from the MCU that completely trivializes the point of the BLM movement.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular

But don't you understand, they're the ones who are actually oppressed.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »

Whatever tools they have been using thus far don't reach me. I hear more about incels and far-right trolls than I actually encounter them in my day-to-day, even on "the internet".

• Options
    WACriminal wrote: »

Ugh this just made me realize we're definitely going to get a hamfisted, tone-deaf "Mutant Lives Matter" scene from the MCU that completely trivializes the point of the BLM movement.

In a Disney film?

No we won't!

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MMZOeA_LMQ&t=1945s

Fandom did a video about their picks for an X-Men team for an MCU X-Men movie.

Personally I would choose a smaller roster: Cyclops, Jean Gray, Hairless Beast, Iceman, Gambit, and the Professor.

For the villains I would leave out Magneto all together. I would do the early brotherhood with Mystique as leader, Destiny, Pyro, Avalanche, the Blob, and Rogue.

After the X-Men win, I would have a stinger where Mystique decides they need more power in order to accomplish her goal, and she directs Rogue toward Captain Marvel. Then a second stinger where the battle between mutant teams has caught the eye of Magneto.

Then have the next Captain Marvel movie have Rogue as one of the villains where it ends with Rogue holding onto her too long thus permanently absorbing her powers. The Stinger would be Captain Marvel going Binary while in the hospital in a coma.

X-Men 2 would be Rogue seeking the X-Men for help as she is going crazy with Captain Marvel's voice in her head. Introduce the Sentinels and Trask as the villains following the very publicized battle of mutant teams from the first movie as well as it being all over the media that a mutant put Captain Marvel into a coma. Introduce Genosha as the detention center that the UN decided they will start putting mutants. Have it so Beast is ostracized by the science community because of being a mutant even though he is smarter than everyone in the room and have him spend part of this movie looking for a cure. The first stinger should be Beast transforming. Second stinger shows Magneto creating a new brotherhood.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    No but hear me out - what about Dark Phoenix?

Inquisitor77 on
This discussion has been closed.