As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

US Immigration Policy - ICE still the worst, acting in open defiance of orders given.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    My wife has a green card and had started the process of getting her citizenship test this year (she'd already submitted biometrics). So who the fuck knows what happens now.

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    My wife has a green card and had started the process of getting her citizenship test this year (she'd already submitted biometrics). So who the fuck knows what happens now.

FamilyGuyTSAColorChart.jpg

It's depressing how true this probably is.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »
    ICE continues to be evil, still conducting pointless raids, still maintaining concentration camps where diseases run rampant, and just to add a little more insult to injury they're hogging the damn N95 masks to keep doing it. Doctors and nurses can't get N95 masks to save their own lives, but ICE hoarded tens of thousands so they can ruin and end other people's lives.

As always, abolish ICE, blacklist every former employee of them, and put all their leadership past and present on trial for crimes against humanity.

Remember when kushner said the national stockpile wasn't the state's supplies, it was "our" supplies, and everyone was like who the fuck is "our" if not the states?

Well....

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular

My mother managed to not bother to go beyond a green card until somr months ago, after spending all but the first two years of her life in the states. Canada isn't a bad a place to get ejected to, but retirement is not when you want to have to figure out a life again.

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Just for that extra salt in the wound, note how the tweet doesn't mention anything about protecting American citizens, but just their jobs. A very subtle way of pointing out where the regime's actual priorities lie. Though now I'm half surprised a mention of the stock market wasn't thrown in too.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    "Nothing says “we’re ready to reopen” like a categorical “closed” sign at the border." - some Twitter rando (in at least immigration policy), summing up the situation perfectly.

But that's the Trump Administration. Contradiction and spin, to support their bullshit measures.

MorganV on
  • Options
    Also spreading plague across the world. 75% of deportees on a single flight to Guatemala tested positive for SARS2. Deliberately let everybody get infected in the ICE concentration and then try to kill off their home countries too. The United States is evil.

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Remember when they only wanted to stop illegal immigration? Pepperidge Farms remembers. Also, who is the invisible enemy? Could be anybody.

• Options
    They always wanted to stop all non-white immigration. "Illegal" immigration was both a wedge issue and right-wing talking points to gain control, like saying they're "pro-life" and using abortion as a wedge issue when the ultimate aim was always to control women and their reproduction.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Also spreading plague across the world. 75% of deportees on a single flight to Guatemala tested positive for SARS2. Deliberately let everybody get infected in the ICE concentration and then try to kill off their home countries too. The United States is evil.

It's not a deliberate attempt to spread infection, they just don't give a shit. They just want the non-whites out.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

It's not a deliberate attempt to spread infection, they just don't give a shit. They just want the non-whites out.

You don't think that at some point in the process this danger was brought up? This was a decision.

• Options

You don't think that at some point in the process this danger was brought up? This was a decision.

Yes. A decision to not give a shit. "Are they sick? We don't care, get rid of them."

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular

Yes. A decision to not give a shit. "Are they sick? We don't care, get rid of them."

Why exactly are you covering for this? Intentionally hurting civilians populations in this way is a crime in war time, and we are not even at war with these countries.

• Options
    HydropoloHydropolo Registered User regular
    I can't speak for the other countries, but any inbound people to El Salvador are immediately going into quarantine (have been for quite some time, citizens or not) for at LEAST 30 days, and that's assuming they never test positive. It's cruel, but not going to hurt this country (and I'd like to assume most of the rest of the countries have similar policies in place). The US is specifically called out as one of the places that requires(d) extra attention.

• Options
    Krieghund wrote: »
    Remember when they only wanted to stop illegal immigration? Pepperidge Farms remembers. Also, who is the invisible enemy? Could be anybody.

Speaking of, I wonder if this is going to have the same impact as when Alabama decided to do a strong crackdown, back in 2011.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2011/oct/14/alabama-immigration-law-workers

People talk about how there's negligible chance that America's food security is at risk because of the amount of food America produces, that there's definitely going to be enough to go around.

But if immigrants aren't picking the food, and with examples like Smithfield's closure due to proximity, and a significant proportion of non-English speaking workers not being able to read healthcare signage, yeah, I'm not so sure about that.

It's almost like America NEEDS immigrants, especially those willing to work for below "real American" market wages, and that usually the play of turning a blind eye while still stoking resentment works, but when the policies professed ACTUALLY get implemented, everything gets fucked, and fucked in a hurry.

• Options

Why exactly are you covering for this? Intentionally hurting civilians populations in this way is a crime in war time, and we are not even at war with these countries.

I'm not covering for anything. I'm saying calling this a deliberate attempt at sending infected individuals back to South American in order to kill people in those countries is at best a huge stretch given what we know right now. Rather, the current administration mainly doesn't care whether they are infected or not. They just want them sent away.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited April 2020

In case anyone was wondering, the answer is "no one has any idea what he's fucking talking about, there's no implementation plans, this might just be him throwing red meat to his base while not doing anything."

e: Buzzfeed News Immigration reporter

Jragghen on
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited April 2020

In case anyone was wondering, the answer is "no one has any idea what he's fucking talking about, there's no implementation plans, this might just be him throwing red meat to his base while not doing anything."

e: Buzzfeed News Immigration reporter

Or it's just another trial balloon. He's had a history of this kind of crap.

Good--for now--but I don't like where this is going.

Orca on
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2020
    It’s the same shit as the Muslim ban and the Europe ban. Stephen Miller grima wormtongues into trump’s ear. Trump then announces a batshit insane travel ban late at night without coordination or even a courtesy heads up with the relevant agency. Agency hastily and incoherently implements ban, chaos reigns, Public outcry, images of insane conditions at airports splash over the news, and then the next crazy thing happens and we collectively learn to live with becoming the pariah of the world.

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »

Speaking of, I wonder if this is going to have the same impact as when Alabama decided to do a strong crackdown, back in 2011.

People talk about how there's negligible chance that America's food security is at risk because of the amount of food America produces, that there's definitely going to be enough to go around.

But if immigrants aren't picking the food, and with examples like Smithfield's closure due to proximity, and a significant proportion of non-English speaking workers not being able to read healthcare signage, yeah, I'm not so sure about that.

It's almost like America NEEDS immigrants, especially those willing to work for below "real American" market wages, and that usually the play of turning a blind eye while still stoking resentment works, but when the policies professed ACTUALLY get implemented, everything gets fucked, and fucked in a hurry.

Between Covid shutting down processing plants, a lack of farmworkers due to immigration bullshit (and Covid), and the massive drought in the West I do not feel quite so confident about our food security in the short-to-medium term.

• Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular

I'm not covering for anything. I'm saying calling this a deliberate attempt at sending infected individuals back to South American in order to kill people in those countries is at best a huge stretch given what we know right now. Rather, the current administration mainly doesn't care whether they are infected or not. They just want them sent away.

Man, if I was consistently downplaying how bad things were in a country I didn't live in, and things just kept getting worse there in ways I said they wouldn't, I would maybe consider whether I should stop carrying water for fascists. The cruelty is the point, and insisting that they're not that bad or that we view their actions in a better light is fucking gaslighting at this point. This is the administration that arrested doctors for trying to provide people in concentration camps with flu vaccines. They're Nazis, this is genocide.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    To be fair(?), with this administration, it often is a good question to what degree outright malice is involved, vs. just plain incompetence and stupidity.
    That said, in this area, there's a lot of overlap in the Venn diagram; and it's a distinction that makes little practical difference.

• Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    I mean the best reason I can come up with for why they decided to announce an immigration ban after 10 PM last night is that it was Hitler's birthday, and the push for reopening everything happened after the numbers about Black people dying of COVID19 more than anybody else came in; so I'm just going to assume it's masks off fascism on any questions of malice or incompetence in the future without compelling evidence to the contrary.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    European invaders managed to figure out the potential of weaponized disease via smallpox blankets hundreds of years ago. I have zero doubt this admin, no matter how stupid, wasn't able to put a similar 2 and 2 together.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    I Zimbra wrote: »

Between Covid shutting down processing plants, a lack of farmworkers due to immigration bullshit (and Covid), and the massive drought in the West I do not feel quite so confident about our food security in the short-to-medium term.

The amount of mechanization for a lot of harvestable crops means we won't be food insecure. It might mean we have few options available aside from wheat, corn, potatoes, and their byproducts, but unless something else crops up we won't be in a famine.

• Options
    moniker wrote: »

The amount of mechanization for a lot of harvestable crops means we won't be food insecure. It might mean we have few options available aside from wheat, corn, potatoes, and their byproducts, but unless something else crops up we won't be in a famine.

Serious question, is there enough made of that, or at least enough suitable arable land (not all crops grow in the same dirt), and the heavy machinery to cultivate and harvest at the volumes that'd be necessary?

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    People can assume every action of this shitty government is a carefully designed mousetrap whose considered purpose is to maximise death if they want. Sometimes they’ll be right! But ascribing their terrible actions to consequence-ignorant racism is not “carrying water” for fascists.

Quit it with the accusations.

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    Geopolitical analyst Peter Zeihan points at the exceptions on Trump's immigration ban, because of course they exist:

Of course that fruit is still going to get picked, don't be silly.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I'm shocked they had the presence of mind to exclude health workers from the ban.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »

We grow so much corn we had to invent things to put it in. Hell, we grow so much corn we use it to make plastic.

• Options

Man, if I was consistently downplaying how bad things were in a country I didn't live in, and things just kept getting worse there in ways I said they wouldn't, I would maybe consider whether I should stop carrying water for fascists. The cruelty is the point, and insisting that they're not that bad or that we view their actions in a better light is fucking gaslighting at this point. This is the administration that arrested doctors for trying to provide people in concentration camps with flu vaccines. They're Nazis, this is genocide.

Or maybe we should stop inventing wild conspiracy theories like "the US government is deliberately using detention camps to infect people with COVID so they can send them back to the countries they came from to kill everyone there" without any actual evidence. Sending people back where they came from without any caveats or processing is what the Trump admin has been trying to do all along. No asylum claims, no day in court, no nothing is what they've always wanted. "You come, we send you back." They are using COVID as an excuse to ramp this kind of thing up. The infected people being sent back are as far as I've read just part of the standard policy the Trump admin has been pursuing all along.

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    I'm shocked they had the presence of mind to exclude health workers from the ban.

that's nothing but the scrambled post-hoc attempt to breathe life into a deranged president's evening twitter policymaking we've seen a million times before

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »

that's nothing but the scrambled post-hoc attempt to breathe life into a deranged president's evening twitter policymaking we've seen a million times before

Yeah to be clear, there is no ban yet. No formal idea of what this would even be.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    It is enough for the King Boss to simply order a thing to be done; actually making it happen is the duty of his retainers, his employees - lesser men.
    :rotate:

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    kime wrote: »

Yeah to be clear, there is no ban yet. No formal idea of what this would even be.

Wait for it, it's coming.

• Options
    Orca wrote: »

Or not. Probably. Maybe. Who the fuck knows?

That's the problem with a President who's an inveterate liar and constant dipshit who speaks without thinking.

If it turns out that the implementation is too difficult, it'll be dropped without comment, and Trump will either deny announcing it, or deny it hasn't happened. And never be held to account, because even his supporters know he's completely full of shit.

• Options

That's the problem with a President who's an inveterate liar and constant dipshit who speaks without thinking.

If it turns out that the implementation is too difficult, it'll be dropped without comment, and Trump will either deny announcing it, or deny it hasn't happened. And never be held to account, because even his supporters know he's completely full of shit.

Third option if it is dropped, he'll just say it happened and things are better for it.

Steam profile
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod

Or maybe we should stop inventing wild conspiracy theories like "the US government is deliberately using detention camps to infect people with COVID so they can send them back to the countries they came from to kill everyone there" without any actual evidence. Sending people back where they came from without any caveats or processing is what the Trump admin has been trying to do all along. No asylum claims, no day in court, no nothing is what they've always wanted. "You come, we send you back." They are using COVID as an excuse to ramp this kind of thing up. The infected people being sent back are as far as I've read just part of the standard policy the Trump admin has been pursuing all along.

Drop it.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    edited April 2020

It's win-win for him in a sense. Even if literally nothing comes of it, many of his supporters will never check up on the issue past the tweet. And the perception he's doing something about the issue is almost as good as actually doing something.

shryke on
  • Options
    He signed the order.

via WaPo:
    President Trump signed an executive order Wednesday restricting certain categories of immigrants from entering the United States for 60 days as the country reels from the coronavirus pandemic, but the measure contains broad exceptions and is more limited than the sweeping closure he proclaimed on Twitter earlier in the week.

The order, which takes effect Thursday, will not apply to immigrants who already are living and working in the United States and are seeking to become legal permanent residents. Medical professionals, farmworkers and others who enter on temporary “nonimmigrant” visas are unaffected, and the suspension also exempts the spouses and underage children of U.S. citizens, among other carve-outs.

It clearly has nothing to do with Covid, and everything to do with "jobs." Basically:
    The order characterized the move almost entirely in economic terms, with the president facing a difficult reelection contest this November amid the pandemic crisis.

Steam profile
This discussion has been closed.