Options

[WOW] Patch 8.2.5, shorter version: J. Allen Brack is a big Meanie

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    This is the first I've heard of the plot being dictated by editorial mandates from upper management rather than the people whose job it is to write the plot, that would explain why it's so incoherent but is there a source for that?

It doesn't hold water and the writers still look inept. The comparison has been made several times, but BFA is basically Game of Thrones Season 8: Where the major plot points were dictated from above and the writers were tasked with filling the gaps....and they messed up doing it.

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    Kai_San wrote: »
    Zython wrote: »
    Honestly, I’m frightened by the prospect of bringing back old abilities. Several of them were removed for good reason. Let Searing Totem stay dead and buried.

Speak for yourself, I love the idea of searing coming back to Enhancement.

I put that shit down for years and it was a bad mechanic. 'Plop this 60s stick down so that it passively does tiny amounts of chip damage' was eventually changed to 'uh we don't want to remove it i guess make it so it puts a debuff on enemies to make lava lash hit harder?' to 'oh right uh i guess we should make it so that it attacks what you're attacking because that mechanic kind of sucks.' It would always hit max stacks for lava lash before lava lash was off CD, so there was no gameplay choice or decision making ("do I consume this now, or is there a different better button to hit for this GCD?"). It was just a button you'd hit so that one of your abilities would get the required damage buff to be worth using. They didn't want to remove totems as a core 'class fantasy' but didn't want to actually put any effort into making it, you know, fun.

The day they finally removed that shit from my rotation, I was the happiest Enhancement Shaman ever.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    totems are a good, fun, interesting mechanic!

as wards, in the RTS game warcraft 3

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    This is the first I've heard of the plot being dictated by editorial mandates from upper management rather than the people whose job it is to write the plot, that would explain why it's so incoherent but is there a source for that?

Blizzard employees who post on various internet fora.

It's also not unique to Blizzard. Guild Wars 2 did something similar, with the dev team writing the main story line and the writing team doing other stuff. I also remember reading stuff about Mirror's Edge and Gears of War where the devs had the idea for the game, came up with the setting, made the levels and created the main characters, and then later on brought a writer on board whose job it was to string all of that together into a narrative.

Developers giving the writers a seat at the table right from the start is a fairly rare thing in the industry based on what various writers who've worked in it over the years have said.

reVerse on
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Yeah broadly speaking, in all video games, writers work within the constraints of the games that the team is going to make, rather than the games being made within the constraints of the story the writers tell.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    that's some uncle at nintendo level sourcing of information but I'm not feeling particularly charitable to blizzard right now so sure I'll buy that.

There's a world of difference though between "we made the game first then hired a writer to string it together with a semblance of a plot in post" and "we're making world of warcraft, a 15-year running MMORPG that makes shit tons of money and supposedly has story with characters and everything; here's our new head writer, they don't actually write it though, that's just sort of a joke title we gave them while we pay them for sitting in the closet while we throw darts at sticky notes in the boardroom to decide what happens"

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

Boy howdy the Ragnaros encounter for the 15th anniversary event is a treat.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    Oh bugger, I have 2 months to go from 113 to 120 + 380 iLvl.

First question. What plugins do I need to get? I'm presuming I should do a class trial to re-learn how to hunter, eh?

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »

Do you have to be 120 for it?

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Shadowhope wrote: »

Do you have to be 120 for it?

120 and 390 gear level to do it.

The issue for most people is there is a bug from the second encounter that carries into rag that constantly resets your position on the fight. You can avoid the glitch if hunters dismiss pets and people stay on their pillars but... yeah that doesn't happen

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    I just noticed my level 100 boosts got changed to 110 boosts. I'm not usually paying attention so I don't know how long ago that was.

• Options
    edited November 2019
    That new Not Deathwing mount is pretty sick though.

Shadowhope on
    Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    I tried the "old-school AV" last night in retail, and it was both as good and as bad as i remembered.

The good:
    - real pvp for prolonged periods as opposed to the two sides running past each other in a race
    - lots of pve elements that make a difference

The bad:
    - lots of people using the pve elements to farm the mount meta-quest and not actually to think strategically for the push
    - alliance are as bad as always
    - i had to quit out after 4 hours since it was 1am and nobody knows what "defend the god damn graveyards" means so we fall back to the middle again.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I mean, it was silly of them to put a time limited mount into Ye Olde AV and not expect people to ignore the PVP/Match to just farm badges.

I'll fess up to doing that. I'm not a PVPer, I don't like PVP in WoW, and I don't give a flip about reliving AV as it was in the good ol' days. I just want the mount. And I will gladly ignore the match and mechanics to get my badges and be done with it.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Dac wrote: »
    Honestly, I’m frightened by the prospect of bringing back old abilities. Several of them were removed for good reason. Let Searing Totem stay dead and buried.

I put that shit down for years and it was a bad mechanic. 'Plop this 60s stick down so that it passively does tiny amounts of chip damage' was eventually changed to 'uh we don't want to remove it i guess make it so it puts a debuff on enemies to make lava lash hit harder?' to 'oh right uh i guess we should make it so that it attacks what you're attacking because that mechanic kind of sucks.' It would always hit max stacks for lava lash before lava lash was off CD, so there was no gameplay choice or decision making ("do I consume this now, or is there a different better button to hit for this GCD?"). It was just a button you'd hit so that one of your abilities would get the required damage buff to be worth using. They didn't want to remove totems as a core 'class fantasy' but didn't want to actually put any effort into making it, you know, fun.

The day they finally removed that shit from my rotation, I was the happiest Enhancement Shaman ever.

If they had just put the dev time into totems that they had planned in TBC and just ignored well into cata, then it might have worked.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    bowen wrote: »

If they had just put the dev time into totems that they had planned in TBC and just ignored well into cata, then it might have worked.

Yeah, totems definitely can work as a mechanic as long as they put even the barest minimum of effort into it. Like, if instead of Searing Totem plinking away for pathetic amounts of single target damage you just straight up replace it with Liquid Magma Totem. Or if instead of having Strength and Agility and Windfury Totems, you just have one big boy totem that does all three.

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    KiTA wrote: »
    Oh bugger, I have 2 months to go from 113 to 120 + 380 iLvl.

First question. What plugins do I need to get? I'm presuming I should do a class trial to re-learn how to hunter, eh?

You can get to that ilvl with benthic gear.

• Options
    reVerse wrote: »

Yeah, totems definitely can work as a mechanic as long as they put even the barest minimum of effort into it. Like, if instead of Searing Totem plinking away for pathetic amounts of single target damage you just straight up replace it with Liquid Magma Totem. Or if instead of having Strength and Agility and Windfury Totems, you just have one big boy totem that does all three.

tbh, a lot of the complaints I have seen since TBC have been "Why do I have to do all this dumb bullshit, why can't I just push 3-4 buttons like a rogue!" and then my first thought is... "why not play a rogue then?" And my second thought is usually "what kind of fun is it to have everyone be a reskinned and themed rogue?"

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options

tbh, a lot of the complaints I have seen since TBC have been "Why do I have to do all this dumb bullshit, why can't I just push 3-4 buttons like a rogue!" and then my first thought is... "why not play a rogue then?" And my second thought is usually "what kind of fun is it to have everyone be a reskinned and themed rogue?"

Well, in all fairness, there's a very fine difference between "fun complexity" and "annoying busywork", and Shaman have more often than not been skewing towards the latter. Of course, lately all classes have moved drastically to the other side of the spectrum, to "braindead simplicity", because Blizzard gonna Blizzard.

• Options
    What you don't like ".. a rogue... with holy power!"

or "... a rogue... with focus!"

• Options
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    I tried the "old-school AV" last night in retail, and it was both as good and as bad as i remembered.

The good:
    - real pvp for prolonged periods as opposed to the two sides running past each other in a race
    - lots of pve elements that make a difference

The bad:
    - lots of people using the pve elements to farm the mount meta-quest and not actually to think strategically for the push
    - alliance are as bad as always
    - i had to quit out after 4 hours since it was 1am and nobody knows what "defend the god damn graveyards" means so we fall back to the middle again.

It looks like it’s pretty good for alt leveling too. I got a level (112->113) in about twenty minutes with one alt before realizing that the battleground was mostly stalled and it could literally take days, and I needed sleep.

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    that's some uncle at nintendo level sourcing of information but I'm not feeling particularly charitable to blizzard right now so sure I'll buy that.

There's a world of difference though between "we made the game first then hired a writer to string it together with a semblance of a plot in post" and "we're making world of warcraft, a 15-year running MMORPG that makes shit tons of money and supposedly has story with characters and everything; here's our new head writer, they don't actually write it though, that's just sort of a joke title we gave them while we pay them for sitting in the closet while we throw darts at sticky notes in the boardroom to decide what happens"

The issue is that every entertainment industry is rife with this. To the extent where the default expectation should really be that a company's executives meddle with creative constantly, rather than don't.

When you hear about an entertainment company letting creative do what they want, it's a feel-good story that hits the 10:00 news.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

Well, in all fairness, there's a very fine difference between "fun complexity" and "annoying busywork", and Shaman have more often than not been skewing towards the latter. Of course, lately all classes have moved drastically to the other side of the spectrum, to "braindead simplicity", because Blizzard gonna Blizzard.

Not really? Classes now have far more complex rotations than they did in vanilla, TBC, or WotLK, and about on par with Cataclysm I would say.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Appearently if you get into an already in progress Retro AV you don't get the mount. How do I know? I did 2 last night. No mount.

Edit: Nevermind you have to do quests which the old Wowhead article I read last night said you didn't have to do. Ignore me.

Bucketman on
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    3clipse wrote: »

Not really? Classes now have far more complex rotations than they did in vanilla, TBC, or WotLK, and about on par with Cataclysm I would say.

More complex* rotations at the expenseive of utility, class flavor, and class complexity.

*not actually that complex

bowen on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I mean, fine, that's all totally true, but that wasn't the debate being had.

• Options
    I appreciated this anniversary event outside of the glitched encounter it wasn't a horrific slog like anniversary mc.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    I appreciated this anniversary event outside of the glitched encounter it wasn't a horrific slog like anniversary mc.

It was a much better design. Slogging all the way through MC sucked when it was current, it was that much worse a decade plus later.

The new event is fun, quick fights with bosses people actually remember that give you a taste of the boss mechanics.

It’s a little too hand hold-ish at some points. Outside of someone standing in a pool of defile it’s basically impossible to wipe. I would have liked a more challenging version that required you and a raid group to actually defeat the bosses.

• Options
    Marathon wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »

It was a much better design. Slogging all the way through MC sucked when it was current, it was that much worse a decade plus later.

The new event is fun, quick fights with bosses people actually remember that give you a taste of the boss mechanics.

It’s a little too hand hold-ish at some points. Outside of someone standing in a pool of defile it’s basically impossible to wipe. I would have liked a more challenging version that required you and a raid group to actually defeat the bosses.

You can wipe on safety dance...

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I do like no matter what. Any wipe you have to mechanics you aren't prepared for, someone immediately berates the raid for dying to something that probably they too died to.

"You fucking noobs dying like that instead of me who died early on so I could berate you in chat about it when you later died."

never change WoW community.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Rather than trying to pug it, my guild is doing the event tonight. I assume with a coordinated guild group it won't be difficult at all. We are all long time raiders, many of us having played during the glory days and have done this when it was progression.

• Options
    the MC raid anniversary event was awful because they kept the fights as is and just scaled up the damage completely ignoring the fact that dispells weren't spammable for nearly no mana in retail at that point, which meant there was some shitty difficulty that shouldn't have been there and then people died because, well, you can only clear one-two mind controls every 10-30 seconds or so, and only if you've got priests because paladins got their magic cleanse yoked away from them.

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    at one point dispel became a % of base mana which made it not-negligible in old wow. Even then (without rehashing too much) the challenge was usually, do i have my main healers who are competent also dispel or do i try to put the scrubs on it (me) and hope they don't fail :biggrin:

• Options
    I liked the bosses in this event, although Ragnaros still sucks. The rest of them were a really fun blast from the past as we just queued in and went "oh right that's how you do this part of the fight, aaah, aaaaaah!"

• Options
    3clipse wrote: »
    I liked the bosses in this event, although Ragnaros still sucks. The rest of them were a really fun blast from the past as we just queued in and went "oh right that's how you do this part of the fight, aaah, aaaaaah!"

The Lich King fight was amazing. It was pretty clear who had had that fight’s mechanics drilled into their brain a decade ago and who didn’t.

• Options
    Coconut MonkeyCoconut Monkey Registered User regular
    Eh, it was all pretty braindead to me. I did it with our guild premade and every fight was just blow cooldowns, pew pew, remember one mechanic, the end. Defile wiped us once because people stood in it, and the Ragnaros teleport bug required three wipes to get us to 3 determination stacks so we could just brute force past.

• Options
    Eh, it was all pretty braindead to me. I did it with our guild premade
    There is a strong relationship between these two statements.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    There's really no underestimating doing content with people who know their classes. Even if the level of knowledge is the same, just being better at doing damage makes fights much, much easier.

• Options
    Coconut MonkeyCoconut Monkey Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    forty wrote: »
    Eh, it was all pretty braindead to me. I did it with our guild premade
    There is a strong relationship between these two statements.

Eh, we're far from being a super organised mythic guild or having everybody know how to dps gud. This group was a mishmash of decent players, returning players who hadn't played since Uldir/release, fresh 120s, and everything else. No organisation or any preplanning. The only attempts at leading the raid were during defile and rag teleporting.

If you're gonna pure LFR this then yeah, that's going to introduce problems, but that's always the case with LFR.

Coconut Monkey on
  • Options
    This group was a mishmash of decent players, returning players who hadn't played since Uldir/release, fresh 120s, and everything else.
    This, along with (I assume) majority voice chat participation, is already a huge leg up on 95% of PUG raids.

I have to figure Blizzard intended for this limited time event raid to be beatable by random groups.

This discussion has been closed.