As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WOW] Patch 8.2.5, shorter version: J. Allen Brack is a big Meanie

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    Finally buckled down and completed How Things "Really" Happened: A Tribute to 15 Years of Knuckle-dragging, Mouth-breathing WoW Players.

• Options
    InvectivusInvectivus Registered User regular
    So, in a bit of a conundrum.

Not a raider, don’t have the time commitments.

Been playing my Frost DK to get it ready for 8.3. Really enjoy it, but can’t kill for shit in PVP, world and BG’s. I can stay alive and throw out a ton of damage, but can’t finish off the other guys.

I have a Havoc DH, that while under geared, is a glass cannon, that can obliterate everyone, but can’t stay alive worth shit in more than 1v3 scenarios.

What are your thoughts on which character I should focus on going into 8.3.

• Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    play the demon hunter, just keep the DK in your back pocket for next expansion when frost gets 2h back as well as pet, gargoyle, and who knows what else.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    I'd resigned myself to the idea that I could be good at PvE, but that PvP would just forever escape me.

This holiday break, though, I decided that I would give it a good few days in a row with a decent partner and see what I could do.

Happy;

m8n3a7y18qbg.png

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    I'd resigned myself to the idea that I could be good at PvE, but that PvP would just forever escape me.

This holiday break, though, I decided that I would give it a good few days in a row with a decent partner and see what I could do.

Happy;

m8n3a7y18qbg.png

Yeah, I’ve been giving PvP a whirl in order to get my PvP essences. Making good progress on the BG and war mode ones, but need to find a group (and get the skill) to get the arena one.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    ebxzxrkn2j4h.png

• Options
    Is the next patch adding any new item power creep mechanics like Azerite Armor/Essences? Or is it just more levels for the Heart?

• Options
    forty wrote: »
    Is the next patch adding any new item power creep mechanics like Azerite Armor/Essences? Or is it just more levels for the Heart?

6 new essences, 2 for each role, DPS/tank/heal. No new azerite traits except for what's on the raid pieces. Then they're replacing Titanforging with Corrupted gear.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I think they're adding some pretty easy-to-get ilevel 400 armor to somewhere, but that's not really "better" than the Benthic gear, it just has the advantage of not needing to be upgraded.

• Options

6 new essences, 2 for each role, DPS/tank/heal. No new azerite traits except for what's on the raid pieces. Then they're replacing Titanforging with Corrupted gear.
    Are the new essences power creep or just sidegrades?

I had forgotten about Corrupted.

• Options

Are the new essences power creep or just sidegrades?

I had forgotten about Corrupted.

Mostly sidegrades, some specs won't use them at all.

• Options
    i8f6uqv21wgh.png

• Options
    Coconut MonkeyCoconut Monkey Registered User regular
    Wait, that looks like you're holy. I thought you were being a dirty prot paladin in there?

• Options
    Wait, that looks like you're holy. I thought you were being a dirty prot paladin in there?

Have been doing both. Good fun!

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    I fail to understand why people act like Prot Paladins in PvP killed their dogs.

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Tank specs drag out games. At high rating play the only way to beat good pvp tank specs is deep dampening. It’s also annoying to play again specs that constantly disrupt you. Double also, if it’s a dps tank heal comp it’s almost like the old double healer comps from long ago. Something so universally hated blizzard made it impossible to do.

On the power creep front, y’all totally forgot about the legendary cloak. Not only does it get stronger, but slowly allowing more corrupted bonuses for free is going to be a huuuuuuuuuge power creep. Like now that they adjusted the numbers on the secondary stat amounts those and the weapon effects are going to shoot up player output like crazy. Like I think people could be soloing all legion mythic raids and maybe even uldir normal at the end. Also don’t be shocked if the close to prepatch buff thing allows us unlimited corrupted effects without drawbacks. I would legit save any corrupted pieces and try to get a full set of that shit.

Kai_San on
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    I don't like track specs in pvp for the same reason i don't like them in pve (though in pve at least they are in my side): at some point Blizzard decided that rather than having threat multipliers on abilities they'd just have the tank specs do the same damage as any DPS... while still retaining all the incoming damage reduction of a tank.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I thought tanks haven't been doing DPS spec damage since, like, a few expansions ago?

• Options
    Banescale the Absentee Packfather is a fucking deadbeat asshole.

• Options
    Tank specs are weaker in PVE. I think some of the specs have solid pvp talents that make them somewhat viable in the damage department.

Thing is, they killed the magic damage reduction so basically tanks became weak as shit early. But somehow a bunch of self healing just took off and made up for the lack of DR in PVP so they survive again. But like, the top ones are providing HUGE heals for their teammates too. In lower ranks, most people ignore tanks due to them being difficult to kill, so they can basically be a free roaming healer.

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular

Oh no kidding that thing was the worst part of finishing up nazjatar stuff.

• Options
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I think they're adding some pretty easy-to-get ilevel 400 armor to somewhere, but that's not really "better" than the Benthic gear, it just has the advantage of not needing to be upgraded.

415. So It's not as good as fully-upgraded benthic gear, but you don't need to grind manapearls on alts, either.

• Options
    kaid wrote: »

"Finishing"...

If only. :(

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Sigh I did want the worldbreaker mount but getting to 380 gear was not for me. I tried

• Options
    Zython wrote: »

415. So It's not as good as fully-upgraded benthic gear, but you don't need to grind manapearls on alts, either.

Saw that the corrupted world event things give 440 gear, which you have 1 weekly major and 2 per week minors. 3 Pieces of 440 a week for simple content is super solid.

The Horrific visions you basically need to spam can get really high. I know if you can complete the run with all objectives it drops a 445ish. While they can be repeated, you can only get a 'tier' of ilvl once per week. So if you are good enough to qualify for 445, the next would be 440, then 435 etc.

• Options

For me it was the hydras that share a 4 hour spawn

steam_sig.png
  • Options

"Finishing"...

If only. :(

Honestly banescale was the only real major hitch. The algans are annoying but you can do them in a raid so a few hours just having a raid kill them will force the rare one to spawn. The pack father once every hour or so you go kill the pack mother and hope.

• Options
    I've been killing the mother about once a day for weeks and the pain just never ends.

• Options
    I've been killing the mother about once a day for weeks and the pain just never ends.

Fun is getting there to see the pack father up only to also see a hunter finish taming him.

• Options
    Kai_San wrote: »

Saw that the corrupted world event things give 440 gear, which you have 1 weekly major and 2 per week minors. 3 Pieces of 440 a week for simple content is super solid.

The Horrific visions you basically need to spam can get really high. I know if you can complete the run with all objectives it drops a 445ish. While they can be repeated, you can only get a 'tier' of ilvl once per week. So if you are good enough to qualify for 445, the next would be 440, then 435 etc.

Horrific Visions give you a piece of gear starting at ilvl 420 (nice). But for each objective you complete (of 5) and each faceless mask you use (of 5), increases the reward by 5 ilvl. So once you're able to do a full clear with all 5 masks, you can get gear of ilvl 470, which is near Mythic level.

• Options
    edited January 2020
    Kai_San wrote: »

Horrific Visions give you a piece of gear starting at ilvl 420 (nice). But for each objective you complete (of 5) and each faceless mask you use (of 5), increases the reward by 5 ilvl. So once you're able to do a full clear with all 5 masks, you can get gear of ilvl 470, which is near Mythic level.

This is supposed to be the "new magetower" style challenge so don't expect to do it the first week.

But also expect everyone and their dog to have done it by launch of Shadowlands if even remotely interested.

Smrtnik on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I never bothered with the mage tower.

• Options

Hence the "remotely interested" disclaimer

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

I wanted the demon hunter havoc weapons the firey blade but I was not geared for it and watching the video I felt it was far too long of a fight for just a look

• Options
    Smrtnik wrote: »

Hence the "remotely interested" disclaimer
    I think there will be significantly more interest in this than the mage tower, though.

• Options
    Because of direct character power sure, but I'm talking about three execution. I.e. i expect folks for wine the mage tower was too challenging to find these just as "undoable".

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    A good friend of mine messaged me today to remind me that when the patch comes out next week, I need to log in and get my cloak and do the new stuff.

My initial reaction to that was "I don't want to log in and grind out a new cloak." Seems like a sad state when they are releasing new content and my reaction is that I don't want to do it.

I only play twice a week. I log in for raids on Mondays and Wednesdays. If I'm not raiding, I'm not playing WoW. And having to log in to grind up a new gizmo just so I can participate in raids in the future makes me a bit irritated. This game is increasingly unfriendly to casuals.

• Options
    At least this go round it looks like the big bulk of "chores" are weekly so as long as you do the once per week stuff that keeps you basically up with the herd. If you go nuts and do all of the things you can get a minor boost above that level but mostly its just do the invasion area for the week and the couple other weekly stuff and you should be fine. It seems like a lot less busy work to keep valid this go round.

• Options
    edited January 2020
    Also you really don’t need to grind the cloak. Do the intro quest line and get everything it gives you , and you can easily do normal difficulty raids. And likely at least contribute somewhat to heroic.

If you are raiding any harder than normal anyway, I don’t think you have ever been able to just log in and raid at a high level and do nothing else.

As was said this patch has stuff to do, but you can keep up with almost no weekly time investment.

The horrific visions sound great for a rewarding challenge. Getting the best completions is going to be outright impossible early though. Until you finish the talent tree for benefits in them, the masks would destroy anyone even overgeared.

I do look forward to seeing how much creative play can push you until the talents and gear start to trivialize them. The on paper description of the whole system sounds like an excellent self challenge though. The fact rewards are there is exciting

Kai_San on
  • Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    I liked the Mage Tower, but I did it on my two characters on 7.3, where Antorus gear made the DPS challenges a lot easier and Healer/Tank ones less punishing. Only thing that annoyed me was the Healer one being 20 min per attempt and (much less) the Feltotem and Sigryn ones being kinda meh.

So, if is the same, cloak upkeep means that every week everybody gets more and more Corruption buffs, so is a passive content nerf, only more complex than the "So and So Presence" raid buffs of Wrath that increased per week.

This discussion has been closed.