As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WOW] Patch 8.2.5, shorter version: J. Allen Brack is a big Meanie

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Pailryder wrote: »
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I did the whole Uldum bit last night, got the quest to go to Pandaria, but did not go there. Instead, I did the quest to unlock Vulpera. Then I made my brand new Vulpera shaman and used my free 120 boost from the Shadowlands preorder to make him 120.

His name is Scottenbury and he's a proper British gentleman fox man.

Had to go through a bit of old content to unlock the things I needed unlocked. Had to do the Nazjatar intro quest chain. Had to do the Essence intro quest chain. Had to unlock the chamber of heart. But I think he's up and running now. Should be able to start making progress on him tonight after work.

went to uldum last night, how do you get the quest to go to pandaland? do you have to finish the assault? How do you even do that? I did a couple of the quests in the hub but not all of them yet. (i should probably go to wowhead or something huh?)

The first of everything is pretty much story-required. Do all of the dailies. Finish the Assault completely, including killing the boss at the end after you fill the bar. But to advance the story, you do need to do a complete round of dailies. Once you've done everything there is to do in Uldum, Magni will tell you to go to the Mogushan Vaults in Pandaria to continue the story.

That's where I stopped, but just from what I've seen, it seems like they also expect you to do a full round of all activities in Pandaria in Vale of Eternal Blossoms before the story continues again.

Basically, the story is a giant 2 hour tutorial that teaches you everything about the invasions, visions, and all of that.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    For anyone (like me) clinging to the edifice of a decadent past and using Windows 7, who has a card that can run DX12, and was perplexed to find that option disappear upon updating to 8.3: there is a known compatibility issue with 8.3 and the most recent Nvidia drivers for Windows 7. The last known stable driver is 441.41, rolling back to that will allow you to run WoW in DX12 again until a new driver fixes the compatibility issue.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    InvectivusInvectivus Registered User regular
    Pailryder wrote: »
    I did the whole Uldum bit last night, got the quest to go to Pandaria, but did not go there. Instead, I did the quest to unlock Vulpera. Then I made my brand new Vulpera shaman and used my free 120 boost from the Shadowlands preorder to make him 120.

His name is Scottenbury and he's a proper British gentleman fox man.

Had to go through a bit of old content to unlock the things I needed unlocked. Had to do the Nazjatar intro quest chain. Had to do the Essence intro quest chain. Had to unlock the chamber of heart. But I think he's up and running now. Should be able to start making progress on him tonight after work.

went to uldum last night, how do you get the quest to go to pandaland? do you have to finish the assault? How do you even do that? I did a couple of the quests in the hub but not all of them yet. (i should probably go to wowhead or something huh?)

The first of everything is pretty much story-required. Do all of the dailies. Finish the Assault completely, including killing the boss at the end after you fill the bar. But to advance the story, you do need to do a complete round of dailies. Once you've done everything there is to do in Uldum, Magni will tell you to go to the Mogushan Vaults in Pandaria to continue the story.

That's where I stopped, but just from what I've seen, it seems like they also expect you to do a full round of all activities in Pandaria in Vale of Eternal Blossoms before the story continues again.

Basically, the story is a giant 2 hour tutorial that teaches you everything about the invasions, visions, and all of that.

Start to finish for me was 3.5 hours

but rank 2 cloak baby!

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    I can see some talk about wanting to skip the stuff but skipping it would deprive you of a ton of resources that you would have to work harder to get later to get to the same spot.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I think walking people through everything is a great choice. A frequent criticism of patches that add multiple new systems is that it's daunting for folks who aren't glued to wowhead to figure out where they need to go and what they should be doing.

• Options
    SaerisSaeris Borb Enthusiast flapflapflapflapRegistered User regular
    Personally I appreciated the walkthrough aspect of it.

borb_sig.png
  • Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    I think walking people through everything is a great choice. A frequent criticism of patches that add multiple new systems is that it's daunting for folks who aren't glued to wowhead to figure out where they need to go and what they should be doing.

Yes in a lot of patches content can be pretty opaque as to what there is and what people should be doing. I think actually leading people through it is probably the better choice.

• Options
    This actually seems like a very good patch so far.

Really, my complaints are about omissions, and not what is actually there.

They really needed to have added a Ny'alotha 5man dungeon. They also really need more than 2 zones for N'Zothian invasions. The world doesn't feel in peril, when the old god is only attacking two very specific places. They needed to have added invasions to other titan facilities, or heck, even to just random outposts around the world. It needs to feel more like a global threat.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    I don’t mind how much there is to do, but the speed at which bars filled and the additional toughness of enemies was a little daunting. I’m one of those Benthic/LFR casuals, and I’m just at 427 ilevel, so even the trash mobs hit me relatively hard. I’ve gotten used to being effectively invincible while doing dailies, and it’ll be an adjustment to needing to glance at my health every so often.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    I'm a healer and I don't have a DPS set. I had to switch to Shadow and it was rough.

I'm definitely going to need to tag along with guild groups for the Visions once I start needing to do objectives beyond the first boss.

• Options
    Corp.ShephardCorp.Shephard Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Yeah, as a Discipline Priest getting through the assaults was a little rough. There are some mechanics to help out but the mobs are chunky and hit pretty hard.

There are interactable items scattered in both assault areas that give damage proc buffs and the evil sun people put a debuff on you that causes your attacks to explode for extra damage but also hurts you (and causes you to explode). That can help too. It's hard to miss it but you can also get Celestial Blessings in the Vale of Eternal Blossoms so you can turn into a high DPS Xuen every ten minutes which can help (though maybe there are better choices, haven't experimented yet). All in all I found staying as a healer to be a bit faster than my less than great shadow setup but you have to hunt down buffs to give you an edge.

Something that actually quite annoyed me is that I would use Mechagon Junkyard Engineering Landsharks to add damage to my healing spec for dailies. However they only work in "BFA zones" and the assault areas don't count so a bunch of BFA effects and items just shut down in the new Assault areas.

Corp.Shephard on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    I don't think the game does a good job of walking you through this particular part, but you can do Horrific Visions (the ones started in the heart chamber) with up to 5 people. It's common knowledge if you follow Wowhead etc, but if you don't, you might not know.

I don't think there's a consensus yet on whether grouping up or soloing is easier, but we've been doing them as a group of 5 and it does seem pretty good. I think a coordinated group of 5 will outperform solo, though being uncoordinated would be tough as you all share Sanity orbs and if someone keeps you in combat by foolishly pulling extra mobs on low Sanity you won't be able to use an orb to refill it.

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    I imagine Blizzard has tried to tune (and will make changes if they didn't succeed) Haunted Visions around a competent 5-man being the best way to progress. The game has always been designed around group content giving the best rewards, so if you can solo or maybe even duo HV to the same rewards just as easily as a full group, they're probably going to put the kibosh on it.

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Doing visions with a coordinated group is better because one person can "res" another from a fully drained sanity, based on what i read. Haven't tried it so far since I've been able to complete my runs solo with no issue.

There is also a talent tree specific to the visions that has several talents that help you out solo but do nothing for group play, and other talents that help groups but do nothing for solo. So you probably want to figure out your preferred play style for them early on before picking those talents up. Looks like you can eventually have them all, but that will take quite a while.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    it's definitely easier with a group; solo I could do one of the bonus areas pretty reliably once I got a couple cloak levels, but with a group of three it was pretty easy to get three chests. There's more health/damage on the mobs but you get more CC, better aggro management etc. I imagine it's comparatively even easier with five.

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    I have also made a new toon; a Vulpera warrior tank named Yifftron who of course is an engineer and equipped with the touch of the void trinket.

Also bag of tricks is fucking OP as shit; it does a ridiculous ammount of damage and/or healing so far and almost feels like a low level condensed flame essence.

Also Also: having 8 extra bag slots feels so god damn good...

• Options
    I heard from a friend that at least a small portion of this process is skippable on alts. My friend claims to have skipped the Halls of Origination scenario (the first part) on his alt last night.

I did Halls last night on an alt, but I did not have an option to skip it. Does anyone know if there's a certain point that a person has to reach on their main before content becomes skippable on alts? My main owns the cloak. But I haven't progressed past owning it yet. I stopped right after I did the lesser vision to test the cloak. Maybe I should push the story to at least doing the Orgrimmar vision to see if that unlocks the skips.

But also speaking of skips, does anyone know if the Mogu'shan scenario is skippable or the Blackwing Descent scenario?

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    so what's the rep grind to unlock foxy people

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    bowen wrote: »

Two requirements:

1) Voldunai rep to Exalted
    2) Complete all story chapters in Voldun

• Options
    Coconut MonkeyCoconut Monkey Registered User regular
    I heard from a friend that at least a small portion of this process is skippable on alts. My friend claims to have skipped the Halls of Origination scenario (the first part) on his alt last night.

I did Halls last night on an alt, but I did not have an option to skip it. Does anyone know if there's a certain point that a person has to reach on their main before content becomes skippable on alts? My main owns the cloak. But I haven't progressed past owning it yet. I stopped right after I did the lesser vision to test the cloak. Maybe I should push the story to at least doing the Orgrimmar vision to see if that unlocks the skips.
    I've done everything there is to do and have been able to skip on alts. That's doing all the quests from Magni and co such that you only have the raid quest and the chain of cloak upgrades from Wrathion.

With the first HoO scenario, you have to go all the way to Uldum and meet Magni just outside the instance. After you accept his quest you can choose skip from him before entering. Then he sends you off to do the assault.
    But also speaking of skips, does anyone know if the Mogu'shan scenario is skippable
    Yes.
    or the Blackwing Descent scenario?
    No (not that I've found).

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    So after the patch, Troops no longer become Veterans? What the hell?

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular

But also speaking of skips, does anyone know if the Mogu'shan scenario is skippable or the Blackwing Descent scenario?

I believe all the scenarios are skippable. The assaults and visions aren't. But that's the content you're unlocking in the first place, so why skip that?

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    bowen wrote: »

It's actually kind of neat, since it's less "go and convince this race that the horde is worthy allies" and more "convince the horde this race is worthy allies"

As to unlocking them as a race: yes you need exalted but by this point if you've been playing since patch 8.0 that's basically a given.

• Options
    I thought it was lame. They could have come up with a way more interesting way for the Vulpera to prove their worth, than by doing a bunch of menial chores.

The message I got at the end of the quest chain was that the Vulpera were signing up to be Peons 2.0.

Oh and also, bonus complaint:

It wasn't even the Vulpera who proved their worth. Since the recruitment quest happens on your main -- who is not a Vulpera -- the person who is *actually* proving their worth is you. The Champion of the Horde. Who has already proven their worth countless times before.

• Options
    I thought it was lame. They could have come up with a way more interesting way for the Vulpera to prove their worth, than by doing a bunch of menial chores.

The message I got at the end of the quest chain was that the Vulpera were signing up to be Peons 2.0.

Oh and also, bonus complaint:

It wasn't even the Vulpera who proved their worth. Since the recruitment quest happens on your main -- who is not a Vulpera -- the person who is *actually* proving their worth is you. The Champion of the Horde. Who has already proven their worth countless times before.

Except the point was that you had problems breaking out that people were struggling with because they lacked the ingenuity to resolve them. True, they're not exactly complex but as Kiro pointed out all of these simple problems had the potential to become more and more severe as time went on.

Like take the Peon's one: sure it's funny that a bunch of peon's are basically striking in the but end of nowhere, but that's kind of how the russian revolution got started and we know how that turned out for the Romanovs.

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    forty wrote: »
    So after the patch, Troops no longer become Veterans? What the hell?

My cynical guess: to force you to rep up with the new factions to buy their troop upgrade items.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    sexy peons, though

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    Is the assumption that allied races will continue to be gated behind BFA rep for at least another expansion? I bounced off BFA pretty early, but I'm very tempted to push through on a new character to get Vulpera.

• Options
    IIRC Ion has said they have no plans to change BfA Allied Races.

• Options
    I haven't ran into any bugs yet myself, or had any quality control issues to speak of. But I'm starting to see a lot of reports of some pretty widespread bugs in this patch.

Reports of people not getting loot upon completion of their Visions.
    Reports of one of the new essences being so completely broken and OP that guilds were killing Lady Ashvane in EP in like 40 seconds and stuff.
    Reports of people somehow doing one of Wrathion's quests out of sequence and basically screwing themselves out of Vision attempts.
    Reports of rare spawns randomly resetting and bugging out.
    Reports of Magni getting stuck in the scenarios, preventing players from advancing the story without restarting the entire scenario.

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Yeah anyone could look at the new essences and see that some really smart guilds would find a way to become op. I wonder what combo of the buffing one and copy one they are using.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Reports of one of the new essences being so completely broken and OP that guilds were killing Lady Ashvane in EP in like 40 seconds and stuff.

There's definitely a few bugs, but there always would be.

This one, however, isn't a bug, it was done before the patch. Could have been done first week of EP, if people had got lucky with gear drops. It utilised Loyal to the End, an azerite trait, plus Resto shamans killing and self rezzing repeatedly.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    The 34 second Mythic Ashvane kill was done through using Resto Shaman rezzes to cheese 3 stacks of Loyal to the End on the entire raid and overgearing the fight, didn't involve anything new.

• Options
    3clipse wrote: »
    The 34 second Mythic Ashvane kill was done through using Resto Shaman rezzes to cheese 3 stacks of Loyal to the End on the entire raid and overgearing the fight, didn't involve anything new.

They actually went for 4 stacks. Three was around a 1 minute kill. It's absolutely absurd how much every extra shaman adds, one has to wonder what the optimal breaking point is where an extra shaman raises the kill time rather than lowering it.

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Kai_San wrote: »
    Yeah anyone could look at the new essences and see that some really smart guilds would find a way to become op. I wonder what combo of the buffing one and copy one they are using.

No one has the copy one yet. That's gotten from the raid.

Edit: I googled it. It's not the essences, they're using Loyal to the End with several resto shamans, and having them die 3 times each, which gives other players with LttE a ton of secondary stats.

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    For context, a relatively fast regular kill of Ashvane would be around 3 minutes. My guild got 3:11 in mid-December, about two weeks before this Loyal to the End strategy really got discovered, and at the time it was rank 6th fastest kill, about 8 seconds behind the best guild.

This is a clip of the 38 second one.

https://clips.twitch.tv/FreezingAntediluvianClipsdadHassanChop

• Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    As a filthy casual I have happily ignored the essence system. Now that I'm working on preparing a dude for the next expansion... is this something I need to concern myself with? What are the chances essences are going to continue to be a thing in Shadowlands?

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    exis wrote: »
    As a filthy casual I have happily ignored the essence system. Now that I'm working on preparing a dude for the next expansion... is this something I need to concern myself with? What are the chances essences are going to continue to be a thing in Shadowlands?

I can tell you right off the bat that nothing from the prior expansion is ever critical to the next one. WoW expansions are pretty much blank slates.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    yeah everyone always gets set to the same progression systems floor one way or another when starting a new expansion

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    What's the "cloak" people keep saying it's required for dungeons

This discussion has been closed.