As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WOW] Patch 8.2.5, shorter version: J. Allen Brack is a big Meanie

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    If someone started BFA on release day and did all the quests and dungeons just once with no additional farming, is the progression set up to allow them to do all the content through 8.3 including LFR? Or is some level of repeatable farming required to meet LFR requirements?

Zek on
  • Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/news/23236723/visions-of-n-zoth-auction-house-update-preview
    JUST FOR BUYERS

Commodities (stackable items) will no longer be sold in individual stacks allowing you to select the number of items you want to buy, and the Auction House will automatically locate the lowest priced auctions to sell to you. You’ll be able to see the unit price and total price before you make your purchase. With the lowest-priced items always sorted to the top, you’ll never have to dig for the best deal again.

You’ll also be able to curate a favorites list by right-clicking on a listed item so you can quickly search for and purchase the items you regularly buy. You can view and revise your favorites list by clicking on the favorites button (star icon) next to the search bar.

JUST FOR SELLERS

Items will no longer be listed for copper and will only be listed in silver and gold. Sellers will still be able to set a bid price and a buyout price along with the duration for the auction they want to list. When selling commodity items, rather than setting a price for stacks of items, you’ll be able to choose a unit price, allowing buyers the ability to decide how many of an item they wish to purchase.

It was about goddamn time, needing an incredibly onerous addon to be able to do simple shit was infuriating.

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Zek wrote: »
    If someone started BFA on release day and did all the quests and dungeons just once with no additional farming, is the progression set up to allow them to do all the content through 8.3 including LFR? Or is some level of repeatable farming required to meet LFR requirements?

I mean, you can basically skip LFR pretty much.

Especially with the way rewards come from the 1 weekly and 2 bi weekly world events, plus eventually solid performance in the horrific visions, you will be getting normal raid ilvl or better stuff fairly consistently. Also, unlike LFR, the drops are guaranteed.

As for just meeting the requirements, I don't think just going through the quests for the 8.3 content without doing any dungeons, world quests, and new events / visions would hit you to LFR. Closest thing to that was Benthic gear, which you could work up some manapearls and get a full set of LFR ready gear super quick. With a few weeks of minimal grinding you could even get all that same gear to LFR ilvl. Nothing like that is available in 8.3. But the stuff you get from the new content is better, just slightly slower.

I don't think any of the release day stuff would help with current content at all though, other than any progress toward flying.

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    I take it commodities will be buyout only after the patch?

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    why did they never introduce platinum as 100 (or even 10) gold = 1 plat?

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Because there's no need for a higher level of currency since the game does all the math for you anyway.

• Options
    EvermournEvermourn Registered User regular
    Pailryder wrote: »

Now I'm having Everquest flashbacks. Money actually had weight, and you could literally be unable to move if you were overweight. A big incentive to always carry the higher denominations.

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Kai_San wrote: »

Especially with the way rewards come from the 1 weekly and 2 bi weekly world events, plus eventually solid performance in the horrific visions, you will be getting normal raid ilvl or better stuff fairly consistently. Also, unlike LFR, the drops are guaranteed.

As for just meeting the requirements, I don't think just going through the quests for the 8.3 content without doing any dungeons, world quests, and new events / visions would hit you to LFR. Closest thing to that was Benthic gear, which you could work up some manapearls and get a full set of LFR ready gear super quick. With a few weeks of minimal grinding you could even get all that same gear to LFR ilvl. Nothing like that is available in 8.3. But the stuff you get from the new content is better, just slightly slower.

I don't think any of the release day stuff would help with current content at all though, other than any progress toward flying.

LFR basically is for transmogs only so far in BFA. The ilevel of gear in it is lower than warfronts and and emmisary quests so generally if you just do the normal emmisary stuff and things like that your gear will be much better than what LFR gives. Basically do it for transmogs and thats about it.

• Options
    Evermourn wrote: »
    Pailryder wrote: »

Now I'm having Everquest flashbacks. Money actually had weight, and you could literally be unable to move if you were overweight. A big incentive to always carry the higher denominations.

HAHA I always had fun with beggers in everquest giving them like 20 plat all in copper. Its all yours if you can manage to still walk to the bank. Always hilarious then seeing them begging for strength buffs so they could get their haul to the bank.

• Options
    kaid wrote: »
    Kai_San wrote: »

LFR basically is for transmogs only so far in BFA. The ilevel of gear in it is lower than warfronts and and emmisary quests so generally if you just do the normal emmisary stuff and things like that your gear will be much better than what LFR gives. Basically do it for transmogs and thats about it.

While this was already normally true, benthic just put the nail in the coffin for it even more. Equal ilvl to lfr with like a weeks of effort for 9 slots. 3 of which are azerite. You can get one of two trinkets on the ah for a decent price and for casters that’s often going to last you at least till heroic raid trinkets.
    Which is why when korraks was up, the free 400 weapon kind of finished you off. At least in 8.3 lfr might be good for a weapon. But if you don’t mind at least a little pvp, you can get a weapon near normal raid ilvl on the first cp bar.

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    The whole point of LFR is to simply be able to experience the content with minimal commitment, right?

• Options
    The whole point of LFR is to simply be able to experience the content with minimal commitment, right?

Basically yes although you could in 8.2 get the raid essence at least up to rank 2 in LFR reasonably but rank 3 requires so much and you get so little from LFR that its pretty pointless bothering. The lack of set pieces really killed any utility of LFR gearing wise this go round. Between benthic and emmisary and other stuff there just was not anything of good enough ilevel to bother with coming out of LFR. Before the set piece bonuses usually more than offset slightly lower ilevels and they had an interesting themed look. This go around so far most of the gear has looked boring and you can find the azerite stuff from other sources that has mostly the same options without that much issue. In 8.3 there is basically catchup gear that I believe is basically the same or close to the same ilevel as LFR and is account bound.

• Options
    Back in MoP/WoD I was able to complete the entire Legendary cloak/ring obtaining and upgrading quest line just through LFR, and it felt reasonably rewarding for the time and effort involved. I slogged through 9 wings of Eternal Palace to find that the reward was one spec's Rank 1 sidegrade essence and decided that's enough LFR for me this tier!

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    forty wrote: »
    Back in MoP/WoD I was able to complete the entire Legendary cloak/ring obtaining and upgrading quest line just through LFR, and it felt reasonably rewarding for the time and effort involved. I slogged through 9 wings of Eternal Palace to find that the reward was one spec's Rank 1 sidegrade essence and decided that's enough LFR for me this tier!

I originally did LFR thinking you could just make the rank 3 essence straight up if you had 36 reliqueries. Turns out it takes 21 weeks of full LFR clears to get the rank 3 essence. Whee...

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    kaid wrote: »

Basically yes although you could in 8.2 get the raid essence at least up to rank 2 in LFR reasonably but rank 3 requires so much and you get so little from LFR that its pretty pointless bothering. The lack of set pieces really killed any utility of LFR gearing wise this go round. Between benthic and emmisary and other stuff there just was not anything of good enough ilevel to bother with coming out of LFR. Before the set piece bonuses usually more than offset slightly lower ilevels and they had an interesting themed look. This go around so far most of the gear has looked boring and you can find the azerite stuff from other sources that has mostly the same options without that much issue. In 8.3 there is basically catchup gear that I believe is basically the same or close to the same ilevel as LFR and is account bound.

I just wish the LFR would do the fight and not the easy one of it.
    To show you fight and how it works but reduce it's damage so having 20 people do the 10 man content kind of a fight
    Zython wrote: »

I originally did LFR thinking you could just make the rank 3 essence straight up if you had 36 reliqueries. Turns out it takes 21 weeks of full LFR clears to get the rank 3 essence. Whee...

I did it every week for 4 months and came short for the cloak. I got stuck in the pvp part for longer than I wanted
    The ring on the other hand was like a rollercoaster of items one week nothing the next double most weeks 1 or 2 essence for it

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular

LFR definitely is way too far off the spectrum of rewards for the essence. I think doing Mythic I got rank 3 halfway through the first mythic week - so two heroic clears & half a mythic clear.

I don't think anyone would dispute that LFR should gain the essence slower than the higher difficulties, but literally ten times slower is too much of a gap.

• Options
    Yeah, it's fucking absurd. Especially since LFR isn't even giving usable gear. I have a profession quest that requires 20 of a thing that drops off the final boss of an LFR wing, and I've given up at 10. I doubt the reward can be worth the pain.

• Options
    Dhalphir wrote: »

LFR definitely is way too far off the spectrum of rewards for the essence. I think doing Mythic I got rank 3 halfway through the first mythic week - so two heroic clears & half a mythic clear.

I don't think anyone would dispute that LFR should gain the essence slower than the higher difficulties, but literally ten times slower is too much of a gap.

rank 1 and rank 2 were not that bad time investment wise but rank 3 is stupid. They should go in and halve or less the amount needed now that the new patch is out. Still they nerfed the shit out of that essence anyway so it probably does not matter.

• Options
    They didn’t need it that hard though. Still a huge burst damage option. Just not far and away the best thing for most specs anymore. Also the healing essence is kind of good at r3, especially for pvp.

The fact they didn’t reduce the requirements for those is kind of stupid. I hope they do sometime soon because multiple weeks of an old raid for those essences is horrible. Maybe they are waiting till after the new raid has fully opened.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    They're also nerfing Condensed Life Force, so it might not be BiS for literally every DPS spec in 8.3.

• Options
    LJDouglasLJDouglas Registered User regular
    Yeah, it's fucking absurd. Especially since LFR isn't even giving usable gear. I have a profession quest that requires 20 of a thing that drops off the final boss of an LFR wing, and I've given up at 10. I doubt the reward can be worth the pain.
    It gets better, once you finish that one you get another quest to collect 200 of them. Lets you craft gear at mythic level I think, after a little under a year of full clears if you only gather them in LFR.

• Options
    I'm gonna be making a Vulpera shaman tonight. Looking for opinions on good flying mounts that fit thematically with Vulpera.

• Options
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I'm gonna be making a Vulpera shaman tonight. Looking for opinions on good flying mounts that fit thematically with Vulpera.

There's a vulture mount that you can get at exalted with one of the 8.3 reps. There's another that's a rare drop off a rare, but I think the former's easier to get.

• Options

Well the flying fox store mount is pretty foxy appropriate.

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    Or you can buy the fox mount at the store so you can fox while you fox.

(Goddamn Vulpera are going to tank the Alliance pop harder than Arcane Torrent).

• Options
    LJDouglas wrote: »
    It gets better, once you finish that one you get another quest to collect 200 of them. Lets you craft gear at mythic level I think, after a little under a year of full clears if you only gather them in LFR.
    Fuck BFA!

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    The Mythic level crafted gear is very very specifically meant to be something you get as a reward for raiding on Heroic. The Heroic level crafted gear is readily available even to folks doing LFR only, it only needs 20 macguffins.

• Options
    Of the myriad things to hate about BfA, that's one of the few that I think makes some amount of sense.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    Of the myriad things to hate about BfA, that's one of the few that I think makes some amount of sense.

There a bunch of things I hate about BFA far to many to list

• Options
    The Mythic level crafted gear is very very specifically meant to be something you get as a reward for raiding on Heroic. The Heroic level crafted gear is readily available even to folks doing LFR only, it only needs 20 macguffins.
    What materials does the gear take?

"7 weeks of full LFR clears" isn't really what I would classify as "readily available".

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    What materials does the gear take?

"7 weeks of full LFR clears" isn't really what I would classify as "readily available".

You would only do it in LFR if all you do is LFR anyway. Going in any other difficulty completes it faster.

Unless you expect to do each wing once in LFR and be "fully geared" in which case prepare for perpetual disappointment.

Smrtnik on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Who's arguing anything about expecting to be fully geared from doing each wing once?

LFR players get "fully geared" from Emissaries and Nazjatar, by the way.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    Man I hate how long the apple store takes to get app updates

How am I supposed to start getting this AP if I can’t send out missions from work

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Literally my first thought upon watching the opening cutscene
    Anduin and Wrathion need to fuck like yesterday

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I thought it was funny that anduin put the hammer on a shelf high enough that no dwarf could reach it

while the rest of the weapons are just like, strewn about on the floor

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    So without doing the hours of questing on a horde alt, do horde characters also go to Stormwind? Or does Wrathion also go to Org and meet with .. ????

Smrtnik on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    I thought it was funny that anduin put the hammer on a shelf high enough that no dwarf could reach it

while the rest of the weapons are just like, strewn about on the floor

champion! fetch me hammer!

4oo0owidn1wu.png

my immediate thought;

gkh0ksox2rig.png

• Options
    Smrtnik wrote: »
    So without doing the hours of questing on a horse alt, do horde characters also go to Stormwind? Or does Wrathion also go to Org and meet with .. ????

Valyrra just gets us up to speed and we see the cinematic.

• Options
    I did the whole Uldum bit last night, got the quest to go to Pandaria, but did not go there. Instead, I did the quest to unlock Vulpera. Then I made my brand new Vulpera shaman and used my free 120 boost from the Shadowlands preorder to make him 120.

His name is Scottenbury and he's a proper British gentleman fox man.

Had to go through a bit of old content to unlock the things I needed unlocked. Had to do the Nazjatar intro quest chain. Had to do the Essence intro quest chain. Had to unlock the chamber of heart. But I think he's up and running now. Should be able to start making progress on him tonight after work.

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    I did the whole Uldum bit last night, got the quest to go to Pandaria, but did not go there. Instead, I did the quest to unlock Vulpera. Then I made my brand new Vulpera shaman and used my free 120 boost from the Shadowlands preorder to make him 120.

His name is Scottenbury and he's a proper British gentleman fox man.

Had to go through a bit of old content to unlock the things I needed unlocked. Had to do the Nazjatar intro quest chain. Had to do the Essence intro quest chain. Had to unlock the chamber of heart. But I think he's up and running now. Should be able to start making progress on him tonight after work.

went to uldum last night, how do you get the quest to go to pandaland? do you have to finish the assault? How do you even do that? I did a couple of the quests in the hub but not all of them yet. (i should probably go to wowhead or something huh?)

This discussion has been closed.