As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Lackadaisical [chat]

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    Bethryn wrote: »
    I guess my frustration just comes from why folks can't come across them organically
    There's supposed to be an algorithm Geth does for chat OPs, and I think it's been optimised at least once to try and ensure the people who get selected are online (Geth used to be great at selecting people who hadn't posted in 30+ pages, which I don't think happens as much any more).

Or at least, that's the official word; pay no attention to that Tube behind the curtain.
    There is also theorized that Bowen had at one point cracked the gethvinci code and figured out who geth was going to choose, but maybe that has changed. been debunked or simply Bowen is good at guessing.

he just kept saying it was me and it also just kept being me

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I have always assumed Geth just picks someone who posted on the last couple of pages. Quite often it's chanus, because he never stops posting.

There's no blacklist.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »
    Chanus why are you a toad why aren’t you a bear who signed off on this
    Wow, you can't just walk right up to someone and ask why they're a toad!

it's okay some of her best friends are toads

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Chanus did you get approval from the tribunal of avatars before you changed that or did you break the law?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    There's no blacklist.
    That's a suspiciously forthright denial when nobody else said anything about the existence of a blacklist.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    I have always assumed Geth just picks someone who posted on the last couple of pages. Quite often it's chanus, because he never stops posting.

There's no blacklist.

Thats what a member of the gethstapo would say.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    samsho memes @Evil Multifarious @P10

1st response: "When you get hit in samsho you take damage irl"

Orphane on
  • Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    Look, I went for a pee and came back and had like two minutes to make a [chat]. My position of authority insulates me from any consequences you care to name, so there.

what about consequences that we do not care to name?

• Options
    There's no blacklist.
    That's a suspiciously forthright denial when nobody else said anything about the existence of a blacklist.

Someone literally just said they were on a blacklist!

• Options
    bowen wrote: »
    Chanus did you get approval from the tribunal of avatars before you changed that or did you break the law?

you know how i feel about laws

and tribunals

and approval

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited August 2019

There's no blacklist.
    I mean maybe not, but as close as there is one I'm on it.

https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/207404/ask-tube-d-d-edition/p2
    zepherin wrote:
    Is there any time limit to the ban I have on making [chat] topics?
    tube wrote:
    No. I'm guessing whatever you did was bad enough and the upside of repealing it is small enough that it will never be repealed.

zepherin on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    There's no blacklist.

I’m pretty sure Geth checks your online status and if your online status is hidden (which is a profile feature) geth never picks you.

That’s kind of like a blacklist

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    On review that's very true, although I was thinking more of a Geth blacklist than a Tube one.

• Options
    Thank you for making me aware you're banned from making [chat] OPs, zepherin.

• Options
    Whoops.

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    So now that we can apparently talk about anime pre-100, what utter filth do we reserve for pages 101+ from now onwards?

Feet

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 So Raven Registered User regular
    Toads! How do you make the Twitter post come up.

(V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • Options
    I've only made 2,

One where I engaged in behavior to get me banned, and 1 where I asked tube in advance if it was ok.
    *shrug*

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Mister Bogart, I don't got much money sir no not much money at all. I am not proud of this but then again I ain't got much to be proud of. I would like one chat, please, as consideration for this poor street rat.

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    So now that we can apparently talk about anime pre-100, what utter filth do we reserve for pages 101+ from now onwards?

Politics? :o

• Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular

generally you just post the url and it will auto embed

if you are on mobile you have to trim the mobile off the "mobile.twitter.com" portion

• Options
    Elldren wrote: »
    There's no blacklist.

I’m pretty sure Geth checks your online status and if your online status is hidden (which is a profile feature) geth never picks you.

That could be true!. I've never asked about it except when it looked like the recycling functionality was messing up and giving both options to the same person, so my assumptions of how it works are just that: assumptions.

It's never struck me as important enough to hassle tube or icyliquid about its inner workings. A new [chat] will get made by someone and the OP will be forgotten in about 2 pages unless it's someone getting married or a particularly funny poll or something.

• Options
    Whoops.
    I mean not really, if I was chosen by geth for whatever reason, and I created a chat, I'd probably end up in the Poke eventually by tube anyways with a thing saying "You know better." I'd likely ask in advance before proceeding.

• Options
    Orphane wrote: »

generally you just post the url and it will auto embed

if you are on mobile you have to trim the mobile off the "mobile.twitter.com" portion

also it often doesn't display for you until you refresh the page

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I think every chat OP I could make would just be about an artist I like.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    @chanus what the fuck is this frog as an av I demand an answer

Tho it does match your emoticon face

• Options
    Eddy wrote: »
    Mister Bogart, I don't got much money sir no not much money at all. I am not proud of this but then again I ain't got much to be proud of. I would like one chat, please, as consideration for this poor street rat.

I thought this would happen. You help one guy do a wedding [chat] or something and suddenly everyone has their hand out for a piece. The welfare state gone mad.

• Options
    Whoops.
    I mean not really, if I was chosen by geth for whatever reason, and I created a chat, I'd probably end up in the Poke eventually by tube anyways with a thing saying "You know better." I'd likely ask in advance before proceeding.

honestly it's probably more likely if you were chosen and made a normal [chat] OP that didn't break any rules you would be the only one concerned about whether or not you were allowed to

• Options
    I enjoy getting [chat]s and making completely worthless OP's

Zero effort

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Chanus, your new avatar is distinctly and disappointingly less kawaii

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Eddy wrote: »

I thought this would happen. You help one guy do a wedding [chat] or something and suddenly everyone has their hand out for a piece. The welfare state gone mad.
    ...I guess I better keep this wife cause I'm not getting Second wedding [chat]

• Options
    Though my favorite was when I put a phrase through Google Translate like 12 times and by the time it came back around it was absolute rubbish

• Options
    chanus what the fuck is this frog as an av I demand an answer

Tho it does match your emoticon face

yeah i dunno i just liked it for some reason

it's from here:

• Options
    Chanus, I fully support your avatar despite it not taking a side in the catatar vs dogatar crusades.

• Options
    i had a catatar many moons ago but that's a young man's dumb fight and i am old

• Options
    Maybe I'll pick a couple of people at random the next time I'm about when it hits 100, I dunno. The recycling functionality is there to prevent D&D being snowed under by an avalanche of [chat] threads as people fight over it and automate something in a way that provides clear guidelines for you animals to follow. I'll try and nominate people who I don't think make [chat] threads regularly, but no promises.

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    I support wildlife avatars, but chanus is willfully abusing his ability to change av and must be punished

• Options
    Maybe I'll pick a couple of people at random the next time I'm about when it hits 100, I dunno. The recycling functionality is there to prevent D&D being snowed under by an avalanche of [chat] threads as people fight over it and automate something in a way that provides clear guidelines for you animals to follow. I'll try and nominate people who I don't think make [chat] threads regularly, but no promises.

How about Chanus?

• Options

i'm not saying you should but it would be a pretty great joke to nominate me twice

• Options
    Chanus wrote: »
    Whoops.

honestly it's probably more likely if you were chosen and made a normal [chat] OP that didn't break any rules you would be the only one concerned about whether or not you were allowed to
    Yeah but I worry about social interactions I had 20 years ago. My brain is at times an anxiety filled mess.

This discussion has been closed.