Options

[Magic The Gathering Arena] Fires of Treachery banned!

• Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    After one draft I am comfortable saying this set is just more fun than Theros.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Nissa gives the animated land an ability that says this is a 0/0 creature, which applies in the layers after mutate happens. No matter where you put a creature on the mutate pile, Nissa's ability makes it a 0/0 elemental.

Layers suck.

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    Nissa gives the animated land an ability that says this is a 0/0 creature, which applies in the layers after mutate happens. No matter where you put a creature on the mutate pile, Nissa's ability makes it a 0/0 elemental.

This is the problem. Basically, the ability Nissa gives is "this land is also a 0/0 creature".

And abilities on both sides apply at higher priority than base PT (which you can see if you mutate a thing on, say, Renata, or Anax - a thing on top of them would still have power equal to devotion, because of the ability that says "CARD's power is qual to devotion" overriding the power of the top creature), so it remains a 0/0 plus counters.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    ok need some quick tips for my first Ikoria draft

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »

Be wary of putting all your eggs into one mutated basket.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    After one draft I am comfortable saying this set is just more fun than Theros.

Agreed. Theros was a super low power draft set and this is definitely not. Who knows how they stack up in terms of deck variety and skill-testing games, but I definitely want to draft Ikoria a lot more.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »

Be wary of putting all your eggs into one mutated basket.

And of putting all your mutants on one Egg.

• Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    edited April 2020
    Alright thread, I return with this abundance of riches.

P1p1 was Gemrazer which I felt pretty dang good about, I got the Thundermane the second pick, and the shoreshark third, so I was a bit at a crossroads. I picked up the Snare Tactician, Sanctuary Smasher and Drannith Healer so I was like "hmmm maybe cycling stuff." I had drafted something that felt okay through the first two packs and felt pretty good about Jeskai, having picked up the Avian Oddity, the Glider, the Rockslides, and felt that there was a cycling with fliers build, especially with the three dual lands and the artifact.

And then pack three happened.

P3P1? Yidaro. Yoink, straight in. P3P2, Skycat Sovereign. At the time I was thinking I didn't have too many fliers to make him really pay off, but he makes his own buddies that fly and gets bigger. I'm already in those colors, seems great. Good late game card to sink mana into off a top deck, and pretty aggressive early.. And then P3P3, Luminous Broodmoth. What's that? Everything that dies now flies? Yes please! I don't know how you get passed those two.
    2FEm9z3.png

So I am low on lands but I figure I can cycle through like a mad man and I don't want to hit large land clumps. I also have the crystal as a little ramp and fixing. I want to look for those wincons as fast as possible, either by recycling Yidaro quickly, or getting the Broodmoth, Archipelagore, or the Cat. My question is, am I too low on land? Should I cut something to get say, the Hampering Snare in? I know it's not an amazing card but it does cycle and I have a decent number of payoffs for that, plus the benefit of Blitz of the Thunder Raptor which gets boosted. My deck is pretty high on two drops, so if I get stuck on land that's not terrible.

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Not a fan of the double strike trick or blitz of the thunder raptor at all, and I think you definitely play the squirrel in most decks plus you're light 3 drops. I think you cut those two cards and a mountain then probably add the squirrel a plains and an island.

E: And since you're playing the long game, frost lynx and gust of wind are excellent stall pieces and I'd cut for them. Unsure if you need to play mostly bad cards that happen to have cycling like the big blue tapper or the 4/4 combat trick. Obviously you've got a few payoffs so they are a lot better, but I still prefer to run mostly cards I'm happy to cast instead of cycle

E: Checkpoint officer is also very good.

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Question: Any tips on how Sealed deckbuilding differs from Draft?

I accidentally bought that Sealed token. By which i mean i bought it and realized i don't know much about the format.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    General wisdom is that sealed is slower than draft, counterspells, discard, and card draw are a little better, evasion like flying is better because boardstalls are more common.

If you have it I’d maindeck a copy of Wilt; cycling makes it low-risk, and there’s a lot of Pacifisms and Capture Spheres.

• Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    Not a fan of the double strike trick or blitz of the thunder raptor at all, and I think you definitely play the squirrel in most decks plus you're light 3 drops. I think you cut those two cards and a mountain then probably add the squirrel a plains and an island.

E: And since you're playing the long game, frost lynx and gust of wind are excellent stall pieces and I'd cut for them. Unsure if you need to play mostly bad cards that happen to have cycling like the big blue tapper or the 4/4 combat trick. Obviously you've got a few payoffs so they are a lot better, but I still prefer to run mostly cards I'm happy to cast instead of cycle

E: Checkpoint officer is also very good.

So blitz has been relatively underperforming for me I feel but if any deck is set to capitalize on it it's probably this one to be able to cycle stuff into the bin.

And yeah, I'm really unsure about it overall. I also like Gust and Frost Lynx but are they specifically what I want to be doing here? Do I want to just churn like crazy? I'm not confident in it. And it does scare me to run land light but the alternative is probably cycling into a ton of lands and just ending my ability to churn.

• Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    Turn 1: Land, Grazer, extra land
    Opponent: Land

Turn 2: Land, Growth Spiral, extra land
    Opponent, Land, Ominous Seas

Turn 3: Land, Gemstone Razer mutate on Grazer, destroy Seas, swing for 4
    Opponent: Concede.

That's the dream right there.

• Options
    AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    edited April 2020
    I've been playing this deck in Standard. I've lost twice. Once was to a mirror where each player won on the play every game.

Companion
    1 Gyruda, Doom of Depths (IKO) 221

Deck
    4 Wolfwillow Haven (THB) 205
    4 Breeding Pool (RNA) 246
    4 Thassa, Deep-Dwelling (THB) 71
    3 Temple of Mystery (M20) 255
    4 Temple Garden (GRN) 258
    3 Spark Double (WAR) 68
    4 Paradise Druid (WAR) 171
    3 Migration Path (IKO) 164
    2 Hydroid Krasis (RNA) 183
    4 Island (IKO) 265
    2 Questing Beast (ELD) 171
    3 Gyruda, Doom of Depths (IKO) 221
    4 Growth Spiral (RNA) 178
    5 Forest (IKO) 274
    4 Fabled Passage (ELD) 244
    3 Dream Eater (GRN) 38
    2 Castle Vantress (ELD) 242
    2 Dream Trawler (THB) 214

Sideboard
    2 Hydroid Krasis (RNA) 183
    1 Gyruda, Doom of Depths (IKO) 221
    3 Negate (M20) 69
    2 Disdainful Stroke (GRN) 37
    3 Wilt (IKO) 176
    3 Aether Gust (M20) 42
    1 Cerulean Drake (M20) 53

It is absurdly filthy. If you want to see it in action, I played Ali Eldrezi starting near 4:04 in his VOD yesterday.

Assuran on
  • Options
    BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    CGB's YouTube deck today is similar.slightly less ramp with charming Prince and end raze.

• Options
    AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    The deck is hilarious. It feels absurd and I'm sure it can't possibly be as strong as it plays once people tune their decks around the new cards, but putting Gyruda on the board on T4 is crazy.

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    BSoB wrote: »
    CGB's YouTube deck today is similar.slightly less ramp with charming Prince and end raze.

Watching that thing fire was insane. He was saying it was pretty much broken, but a lot of people in the comments were pointing out it was weak to counter spell and couple of others.

• Options
    Gyruda decks are absolutely terrible if an opponent fires off a counterspell and very weak if an opponent uses instant speed removal (though you can still punish them by spinning the wheel more if you're lucky).

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular
    Gyruda decks are absolutely terrible if an opponent fires off a counterspell and very weak if an opponent uses instant speed removal (though you can still punish them by spinning the wheel more if you're lucky).

My biggest mistake was assuming that leyline of the void would stop that combo. It turn out, that was just me assuming that the milled cards would have to be in the graveyard for the reanimation to take effect.

n57PM0C.jpg
  • Options
    FiskebentFiskebent DenmarkRegistered User regular
    I find it a little funny that mirror Gyruda matches usually end by milling out your opponent.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2020

Problem is that mostly means you're playing black or blue and never tapping out. Everything else has trouble stopping or removing a whole 6/6 at instant speed - sure, I can kill a 4/4 fairly reasonably with instant fight or burn or both on my green or red creature decks without much issue, but 6/6 starts being a tall order!

Drascin on
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    I admittedly haven't read Gyruda's text yet, but does it not die to a token + Mutual Destruction?

Mugsley on
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    It dies to everything. The trouble is that once it enters the board, the damage is done. An instant kill can stop Spark Doubles from having anything to copy, but there are other big creatures in the deck that can cause trouble. And once Gyruda enter the board, you get to cast them for free if you find them in the top 4 cards of your library.

I've played the deck a little and it's a little boring tbh. If you get your cast off you usually win big. But it's a one trick pony kind of deck.

The best counter is probably Mystical Dispute. Because it's a companion it's not even in your opponent's hand, so Thought Erasure or Agonizing Remorse doesn't work.

Fiskebent on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Grafdigger's Cage is in the format and makes Gyruda very unhappy. Not ideal but it's an option.

• Options
    edited April 2020
    I watched Amazonian play constructed yesterday against a deck she called basically a cool gimmick/combo deck.

All I saw was a whole lot of masturbation. I'm trying to remember what the engine was but it involved using tap/untap and ETB effects to fill the board with artifact creatures. At one point, a Corridor Monitor showed up and caused about 12 triggers (literally). I hate sitting in a match and watching someone else play Magic

Mugsley on
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    I admittedly haven't read Gyruda's text yet, but does it not die to a token + Mutual Destruction?

I mean, yes, but again, black is the one color that can easily remove the gyruda at instant speed without having to run weirdass cards that are thoroughly dead against many other decks.

The suggestion of Grafdigger could be good, though. It stops enough popular shit that it may merit inclusion - escape, gyruda, deathdweller, cat recursion, and so on. About the only popular decks where it's completely dead are the various flavors of Flash (UB flash being kind of a dick thing lately), RDW, and the various Fires decks.

Drascin on
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Ok I'm currently 0-2 with this deck. First game I had Sharknado in opening hand; second game I had to Mull to 6 and managed an ok state until my opponent ran me over with BG ability counters + Ozo(whatever, the thing that holds ability counters).

I think there's something here but I'm not sure how to tweak it. I was initially splashing Green for Empathy, since it's my other win condition besides Shark + Sharknado. I'm wondering if I should drop the Black altogether and bring in all the Green. (HINT: Help me get better at deck building)
    cj64frs1u1wz.jpg

The deck I have set up right now felt like it played well in the second game; I just ran out of cards in hand and not enough gas on the field, while oppo had beef with counters.

Mugsley on
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    So my go to deck has been monoblack for bo1. Easy to play, has tons of removal, and I can churn through wins quick enough to score my dailies.

Added some new cards to it, the 2 drop mythic who swaps a creature on the board, and the 3 drop cat who lets you play two drops from the grave.

This feels uh, way way stronger. I don’t think it’s a tier 1 deck, but holy shit having another way of fishing your cats of the GY feels great and holy shit turn 5 gray merchant into turn six sac something search out another grey merchant is hilarious. You can even do this if you don’t have a sixth land but do have another sac source.

• Options
    DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    Norgoth wrote: »
    So my go to deck has been monoblack for bo1. Easy to play, has tons of removal, and I can churn through wins quick enough to score my dailies.

Added some new cards to it, the 2 drop mythic who swaps a creature on the board, and the 3 drop cat who lets you play two drops from the grave.

This feels uh, way way stronger. I don’t think it’s a tier 1 deck, but holy shit having another way of fishing your cats of the GY feels great and holy shit turn 5 gray merchant into turn six sac something search out another grey merchant is hilarious. You can even do this if you don’t have a sixth land but do have another sac source.

Do you have a list?
    I am playing BW enchantments myself.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    My review of Ikoria limited after a token draft and one sealed is that there seems to be a lot of potential here for fun stuff and also that I am very bad at it so far.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Today's special deal is 100 free gems if you have 400 gems or more.
    f6y66sneqwkt.jpg

• Options
    Ok I'm currently 0-2 with this deck. First game I had Sharknado in opening hand; second game I had to Mull to 6 and managed an ok state until my opponent ran me over with BG ability counters + Ozo(whatever, the thing that holds ability counters).

I think there's something here but I'm not sure how to tweak it. I was initially splashing Green for Empathy, since it's my other win condition besides Shark + Sharknado. I'm wondering if I should drop the Black altogether and bring in all the Green. (HINT: Help me get better at deck building)
    cj64frs1u1wz.jpg

The deck I have set up right now felt like it played well in the second game; I just ran out of cards in hand and not enough gas on the field, while oppo had beef with counters.

The more I look at this, is Green just getting in the way? Should I go WU?

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    jakobagger wrote: »
    My review of Ikoria limited after a token draft and one sealed is that there seems to be a lot of potential here for fun stuff and also that I am very bad at it so far.

Same. I had an absolutely garbage first premier draft with the free token. I've gone back to running a mono blue shark deck with lots and lots of bounce and spell interrupts in the BO1 ladder until I have a better idea of the synergies in Ikoria.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    f6y66sneqwkt.jpg

I half wonder if that's a mistake, but then I guess 100 gems isn't enough to do anything and for people with less it generates sales. Free 100 gems in any case.

• Options
    the rich get richer

• Options
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    f6y66sneqwkt.jpg

I half wonder if that's a mistake, but then I guess 100 gems isn't enough to do anything and for people with less it generates sales. Free 100 gems in any case.

More importantly, 2000 gold for 500 gems is a solid deal.

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    f6y66sneqwkt.jpg

It's significantly better than the conversion rate on drafts, which is basically the only other way to get gems with gold

If you have the gold take that option, even if you have a ton of gems

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »
    f6y66sneqwkt.jpg

It's significantly better than the conversion rate on drafts, which is basically the only other way to get gems with gold

If you have the gold take that option, even if you have a ton of gems

I logged back in to snap it off because I basically don't check the store, so TY for the heads up @21stCentury

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    nvm

Fiskebent on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Pros and cons of new draft from someone who doesn't like drafting because it stresses them out and if you don't do it frequently it can feel like spending currency with little return instead of just playing fun game:

Pros: The big fat rewards. Going 3-3 and getting more gems than a full 7 run win in ranked feels bonkers. Makes the currency spent feel much better even if you don't do very well.

Cons: Due to the drafting phase being more competitive it's much easier to end up with a really boring deck especially if you aren't super into drafting. Which in turn makes the games feel slightly more stressful as your deck doesn't feel strong and also just kinda less fun because the deck can end up a bit too basic.

But man those rewards feel quite good if you are using your token.