Options

[Magic The Gathering Arena] Fires of Treachery banned!

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »
    Oh man I assumed ominous seas was discarded at 8, thats way more fun.

I made a proliferate deck for shits and giggles a couple of weeks ago, and Ominous Seas is going to be so much fun in it. Along with The Ozolith allowing me to care way less about losing creatures.

I am wondering on how to retool my own counters deck to make use of Ominous Seas and Ozolith. What list are you running?

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    BreakfastPMBreakfastPM Registered User regular
    Myiagros wrote: »
    Here's the deck I'm running right now and one of the games I've played so far.

ezfpk8o96lft.png

3vdwd0jirsk2.png

I copied this deck because it looks like fun. It gets absolutely hosed by Narset and you can't do anything to remove it.

Yeah, I've ranted about Narset across several pages of several of these threads. It sucks and you can't deal with it unless you counter or hit it with Fire Prophecy. You also don't run into Narset all of the time though and my goals for Magic are playing decks that I build and think are fun.

• Options
    DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    I really sick at draft apparently.
    Everybody has great cards and I just and up collecting 40 card trash.

At least I got wheeled a winota, so maybe I am going to make a winota Mardi humans deck.
    Or a unexpected yidaro sharknado deck.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    Is keep safe a limited trap?
    Like it seems real good but then I tried to play it and I just never had a chance to cast it in 9 games.
    6kbvreqm7rps.png
    There are quite a few cards in the format it should blowout, but somehow it never lined up.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    BSoB wrote: »
    Like it seems real good but then I tried to play it and I just never had a chance to cast it in 9 games.
    6kbvreqm7rps.png
    There are quite a few cards in the format it should blowout, but somehow it never lined up.

In Bo1 probably a trap. In Bo3 useful sideboard against some decks but probably still a trap.

I did 3 Premier drafts yesterday: 0-3 (that was my free one, at least?), 3-3, 3-3. The problem with playing "outside of pod" is that some pods just open packs that are trash. This is usually corrected for by the pairing structue; by definition an 8-player pod breaks down to the same 8 results (barring draws, which are impossible on Arena without shenanigans). But if you get paired up against someone from a pod that opened nonsense, you're gonna get bodied more often than not.

Unfortunately "league" play is the only feasible way to handle games on Arena because a lot of people aren't able to commit to a full 4-5 hour session to complete a pod. (Even in quarantine there's other shit that needs attention.)

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Trying Premier Draft and BOY..... BOY OH BOY....

It's a very different feeling when you gotta hurry your picks.

• Options
    KorrorKorror Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »

Easy 7-0, companion is busted in sealed, Destoroyah is busted in sealed, removal is on point, recursion is on point, go wide is on point, go evasive is on point, mana is good enough for sealed work.

You deserve all the bonus points for getting companion to work in a limited environment. Very cool.

Battlenet ID: NullPointer
  • Options
    KorrorKorror Registered User regular
    Trying Premier Draft and BOY..... BOY OH BOY....

It's a very different feeling when you gotta hurry your picks.

It's funny but I've enjoyed human draft significantly more than bot draft and I'm not sure why. Theoretically, these humans could just be AIs and I won't be able to tell the difference at this stage in the set. One difference I did notice is that more rares are being passed. I picked 5 rares in my first draft and I could have picked up 6 if I didn't pass 1 for a premium uncommon in my colors. The thought that I'm interacting with other people who are also drafting real decks makes the whole experience more exciting.

Also public service announcement, I should not be getting 6th-7th pick farfinders. That card goes in almost ever deck and while I can see having 2-3 cards in a pack that are better than it, it should not be making its way that far around to the table to me.

Battlenet ID: NullPointer
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    BSoB wrote: »
    6kbvreqm7rps.png

In Bo1 probably a trap. In Bo3 useful sideboard against some decks but probably still a trap.

I did 3 Premier drafts yesterday: 0-3 (that was my free one, at least?), 3-3, 3-3. The problem with playing "outside of pod" is that some pods just open packs that are trash. This is usually corrected for by the pairing structue; by definition an 8-player pod breaks down to the same 8 results (barring draws, which are impossible on Arena without shenanigans). But if you get paired up against someone from a pod that opened nonsense, you're gonna get bodied more often than not.

Unfortunately "league" play is the only feasible way to handle games on Arena because a lot of people aren't able to commit to a full 4-5 hour session to complete a pod. (Even in quarantine there's other shit that needs attention.)
    Korror wrote: »

Easy 7-0, companion is busted in sealed, Destoroyah is busted in sealed, removal is on point, recursion is on point, go wide is on point, go evasive is on point, mana is good enough for sealed work.

You deserve all the bonus points for getting companion to work in a limited environment. Very cool.

Indeed I had a he dinosaurs, cats and etc get +1/+1 in my opening pack and once got it wheeled, both times it dominated my picks. I think that is where I played myself.
    Both times I had a companion but all the times it sucked.

Dirtmuncher on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2020

Some of the companions are super easy to run in limited. For example, having two of the same color symbol is something I already sort of avoid in limited, so getting a free 5/5 for 5 was 7 wins for me.

BSoB on
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    also, player draft... am i silly for doing this: If there's no good cards for my deck and a land, i'll take the land.

I figure it helps out the other players but also..... IDK, is that dumb?

• Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    also, player draft... am i silly for doing this: If there's no good cards for my deck and a land, i'll take the land.

I figure it helps out the other players but also..... IDK, is that dumb?

I would not do this, but i fully respect you trying to be nice.

ideally you take stuff that will help signal to your seatmates. You can also hate draft stuff. Just because you might not face them doesn't mean you definitely WON'T face them.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    I sure am not very good at this game I play *checks notes* more than 95% of the playerbase.
    74lpq1vq70q7.png

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular

Companion is really not that bad in sealed tbh, you can afford to go quite deep on marginal cards for the guarantee of a 4-5 star bomb in hand every game. The worst part wasn't even meeting the companion requirement, it's that between my white being good, gyaruda being BB (or UU) and needing destoroyah, my manabase was rough. Splashing the recursive golgari mutate card was a risk but it paid off, and I'm glad I didn't play the GB bounty hunter.

Oh, also, the other three rares in my pod were three different ultimatums :D

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2020

Companion is really not that bad in sealed tbh, you can afford to go quite deep on marginal cards for the guarantee of a 4-5 star bomb in hand every game. The worst part wasn't even meeting the companion requirement, it's that between my white being good, gyaruda being BB (or UU) and needing destoroyah, my manabase was rough. Splashing the recursive golgari mutate card was a risk but it paid off, and I'm glad I didn't play the GB bounty hunter.

Oh, also, the other three rares in my pod were three different ultimatums :D

The GB bounty hunter is great for drawing removal spells away from other creatures you actually care about. He also worked out nicely for me with two of those green creatures that allow you to change the stats of one of your humans to 4/4 when the creature attacks. 4/4 with death touch got me a lot of unblocked damage last night.

@Drascin Let me actually try that deck out today with Ozoliths in it and see how it goes. I got a third one last night when I used my sealed tokens, so should be plenty to give it a fair shot.

Ketar on
  • Options
    Yeah but the issue with running him would be that my deck would want like, two more forests and it was already a little greedy

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    ggxda6z5283x.jpg
    6y7vgpid5nk3.jpg
    (Mana Base is 2 plains, 8 Swamps, 5 Forests and 1 Blossoming Sands)

This got me 3 wins in 3 games... including in one where i frankly refused to mulligan a hand i should not have kept.

Honestly, i don't know how to draft. I just pick the cards with the cool art and hope i win I mean I have low confidence in my ability to appraise card value, which leads me to have my most successful runs with the decks i go "UGH I DRAFTED INCREDIBLY BADLY" with.

Anyway, constructive crit would be muchly appreciated. I feel like Biollante Nethroi might be a bit of a greedy pick since i never did end up drawing it at a point where i had a bunch of creachers in the graveyard, but it looks cool.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    might be a little greedy, but if it's castable then a 5/5 lifelink deathtouch is pretty good even without the trigger

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    That hunter, Chevill, is hilarious for playing (usually unintentional) mind games with people. I'd put a counter on the creature I thought I was most likely to be able to kill next, and some players start spending waaaay more time trying to decide if they should attack with it or not and often end up leaving them back instead. Even creatures that I had no readily apparent way to kill.

• Options
    Ketar wrote: »
    That hunter, Chevill, is hilarious for playing (usually unintentional) mind games with people. I'd put a counter on the creature I thought I was most likely to be able to kill next, and some players start spending waaaay more time trying to decide if they should attack with it or not and often end up leaving them back instead. Even creatures that I had no readily apparent way to kill.

i didnt even consider the mindgame possibilities. That's pretty good to know!

• Options
    edited April 2020
    ggxda6z5283x.jpg
    6y7vgpid5nk3.jpg

This got me 3 wins in 3 games... including in one where i frankly refused to mulligan a hand i should not have kept.

Honestly, i don't know how to draft. I just pick the cards with the cool art and hope i win I mean I have low confidence in my ability to appraise card value, which leads me to have my most successful runs with the decks i go "UGH I DRAFTED INCREDIBLY BADLY" with.

Anyway, constructive crit would be muchly appreciated. I feel like Biollante Nethroi might be a bit of a greedy pick since i never did end up drawing it at a point where i had a bunch of creachers in the graveyard, but it looks cool.

The splash is fine.

Mothers’s Great Cocoon is bad. Most one drops are bad. The 4-mana 3/5 with vigilance is good enough to run. Blitz Leech is incredible and should never be cut. One Dark Bargain is OK. You kind of didn’t draft any top end at all besides your apex beast, and you can get away with a big beater pretty easily.

To explain the cocoon, it’s like playing an aura that costs 1 to give a creature +1/+1. Unless you’re deep on synergy for it, it’s not very worth, and there are better cheap mutate targets in black already.

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    yeah I like the Egg/Cocoon in specific circumstances, like if you have a bunch of creatures that need mutate targets early, like Parcelbeast or Migratory Greathorn

• Options
    ggxda6z5283x.jpg
    6y7vgpid5nk3.jpg

The splash is fine.

Mothers’s Great Cocoon is bad. Most one drops are bad. The 4-mana 3/5 with vigilance is good enough to run. Blitz Leech is incredible and should never be cut. One Dark Bargain is OK. You kind of didn’t draft any top end at all besides your apex beast, and you can get away with a big beater pretty easily.

To explain the cocoon, it’s like playing an aura that costs 1 to give a creature +1/+1. Unless you’re deep on synergy for it, it’s not very worth, and there are better cheap mutate targets in black already.

Ended up getting 3:3. I'm satisfied, though i could've won one of the games if i had remembered that the goshed darned jellyfish can untap itself.

Felt real dumb when i didn't kill that one when i had the chance.

ANY WAY, I get that the coccoon/egg isn't that good, but... I think it worked decently well with the spider mutating onto it. Still, that's noted.

As for me not getting top-end cards... Yeah, IDK if I'm doing something wrong but it seems like i never see more than one or MAYBE two top-end cards whenever i draft.

If there's a good way to get better cards to pick from i'd love to know. :razz:

• Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    Okay, so this is what I have.
    WN2uXPh.png
    P1p1 was Nethroi. The main question I have is "Is the white splash worth it?" Advantages: Vulpikeet for evasion, Pacifism, and the ability to regular cast Nethroi. Could also get the glider in there for more flying. Downsides: less consistent, I could replace the pacifism with another ram through, and maybe the boar is relevant enough evasion to swap the vulpikeet out? My thought is that this deck can afford to go long, so play a lot of removal and win with value with Nethroi eventually.

Thoughts?

• Options
    edited April 2020
    Fertilid, two farfinders, and a dual land mean that you absolutely splash white there.

Brushwagg and Mysterious Egg are easy cuts and should be replaced with creatures that actually do things. You've got basically no mutate payoffs that desperately need you to mutate T3 and you can put in some more midrange creatures with your level of ramp and fixing. Lurking Deadeye, Dark Bargain, even the Capridor or a Bristling Boar start to look good.

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    4-1 so far with this, losing to a mulligan to five into flooding. Mechagodzilla is hilarious.

ki7qrap7taag.png

EDIT: 7-1. That felt great.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Fertilid, two farfinders, and a dual land mean that you absolutely splash white there.

Brushwagg and Mysterious Egg are easy cuts and should be replaced with creatures that actually do things. You've got basically no mutate payoffs that desperately need you to mutate T3 and you can put in some more midrange creatures with your level of ramp and fixing. Lurking Deadeye, Dark Bargain, even the Capridor or a Bristling Boar start to look good.

Both deadeye and dark bargain make the brushwagg significantly better as you can hold up threat of activation on defense without losing tempo since they're all 4 mana instant speed.

I might instead cut the goriak in that case as they fulfil a similar role and the brushwagg is a better mutate target

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    Myiagros wrote: »
    Here's the deck I'm running right now and one of the games I've played so far.

ezfpk8o96lft.png

3vdwd0jirsk2.png

I copied this deck because it looks like fun. It gets absolutely hosed by Narset and you can't do anything to remove it.

Yeah, I've ranted about Narset across several pages of several of these threads. It sucks and you can't deal with it unless you counter or hit it with Fire Prophecy. You also don't run into Narset all of the time though and my goals for Magic are playing decks that I build and think are fun.

I'm all about fun decks. I took your deck and changed it to Jeskai and it's just as awesome. Additional lands not in the grab is 3 Tri-cycle and 4 Fabled Passage.
    yaray4t9efkr.png

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • Options
    AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    Gyruda is absurd.

On that note, please don't play Extinction Event for reasons...

• Options
    FiskebentFiskebent DenmarkRegistered User regular
    I'm playing Tajic in my Winota deck and a lot of people forget that he protects other creatures from non-combat damage.

I had a game against a cat/oven deck where he repeatedly tried pinging my 1/1's with his Mayhem Devil. I don't think he ever realised what was going on.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I'm listening to the Limited Resources sunset show and my snap judgment is that Marshall and LSV play almost exclusively MTGO because their experiences in drafting are so vastly different from mine. That being said, they also draft about 800x more than me. Similarly, I feel their draft strats and play decisions echo the fact that you play against your draft pod on MTGO (that may be a wild assumption on my part) and not against randos who also just drafted against bots. Also, someone tell me I'm wrong but is drafting on MTGO not all Bo3?

Again, I could be wrong on some of this. I'm thinking the human drafts in Arena with Ikoria will start swinging strats and play decisions more in line with MTGO going forward. I agree that Black was strong but I saw a TON more Green decks than Black when drafting in Arena; and high rated Black cards were showing up very very late in bot drafts, which threw off a lot of my strats. (It also didn't help that I'm still inexperienced at draft and I think I still have to get experience with finding Bombs; which is also why I'm not looking forward to Ikoria) I would repeatedly try to go heavy Black, then go to play things out and people would roll over me with UG or WG decks.

The boys rated Tyamaret, Chosen from Death as arguably the best "Mythic Uncommon" in the set, yet I think I only played against it twice. And in one of those instances, I was very very lightly into Escape and yet my opponent kept randomly killing cards from both our GYs and not getting any life for it. It was confusing. I found little value in his "GY mill" ability (my term), but it could also point to what types of decks I enjoy drafting.

I should have asked earlier in the format. Did anyone try drafting Mono-Black or Mono-Black-splash-something and actually have decent success?

• Options
    I also sick at drafting, I never find removal or bombs.

Just tried sealed and of my 6 rares, 4 were companions.... They all have decent stats so I might just run them all in the deck.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Mugsley wrote: »
    I'm listening to the Limited Resources sunset show and my snap judgment is that Marshall and LSV play almost exclusively MTGO because their experiences in drafting are so vastly different from mine. That being said, they also draft about 800x more than me. Similarly, I feel their draft strats and play decisions echo the fact that you play against your draft pod on MTGO (that may be a wild assumption on my part) and not against randos who also just drafted against bots. Also, someone tell me I'm wrong but is drafting on MTGO not all Bo3?

Again, I could be wrong on some of this. I'm thinking the human drafts in Arena with Ikoria will start swinging strats and play decisions more in line with MTGO going forward. I agree that Black was strong but I saw a TON more Green decks than Black when drafting in Arena; and high rated Black cards were showing up very very late in bot drafts, which threw off a lot of my strats. (It also didn't help that I'm still inexperienced at draft and I think I still have to get experience with finding Bombs; which is also why I'm not looking forward to Ikoria) I would repeatedly try to go heavy Black, then go to play things out and people would roll over me with UG or WG decks.

The boys rated Tyamaret, Chosen from Death as arguably the best "Mythic Uncommon" in the set, yet I think I only played against it twice. And in one of those instances, I was very very lightly into Escape and yet my opponent kept randomly killing cards from both our GYs and not getting any life for it. It was confusing. I found little value in his "GY mill" ability (my term), but it could also point to what types of decks I enjoy drafting.

I should have asked earlier in the format. Did anyone try drafting Mono-Black or Mono-Black-splash-something and actually have decent success?

Yeah. I got some good runs with near mono black, usually splashing some green or white. On of the big problems with drafting vs bots was there wasn't a big feeding frenzy on black to give the other colors a chance.

Black is hands down the best color if you don't pull one of the big bombs of the set. Except for the drain 2 life escape card, every black card in the set is limited playable. Black had great escape cards, and great ways to fill the graveyard, and great removal.

Tyamaret is a good blocker and graveyard hate, and life gain all in one card. Escape was the most powerful thing happening in the set, and he could shut it off.

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2020

I’m pretty sure both Marshall and LSV openly admitted to not doing much Arena drafting for Eldraine and I’m sure the same applies to Theros.

But now arena also has player drafting so the experiences should converge

Edit: also the majority of MTGO drafts are now league drafts meaning that you draft in a pod but play against a pool of people drafting the set, whether they were in your pod or not

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Oh no oh god oh no
    5wawxczi3q1o.png

• Options
    Elldren wrote: »

I’m pretty sure both Marshall and LSV openly admitted to not doing much Arena drafting for Eldraine and I’m sure the same applies to Theros.

But now arena also has player drafting so the experiences should converge

Edit: also the majority of MTGO drafts are now league drafts meaning that you draft in a pod but play against a pool of people drafting the set, whether they were in your pod or not

Thank you. That's pretty much what I expected.

• Options
    Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Elbasunu wrote: »
    Oh no oh god oh no
    5wawxczi3q1o.png

Yorion is most useful with lots and lots of mutate cards.

Cause when you flicker a mutated creature, all the creatures under it also return to the board.

Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • Options
    Elbasunu wrote: »
    Oh no oh god oh no
    5wawxczi3q1o.png

Yorion is most useful with lots and lots of mutate cards.

Cause when you flicker a mutated creature, all the creatures under it also return to the board.

This is giving me a headache just thinking about it.

• Options
    FiskebentFiskebent DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Something I can't quite wrap my head around is that if you mutate something on top of a land Nissa has made into a creature, it stays a 3/3 and not the stats of the mutated creature. Is that a bug or is there a reason for that?

I would expect it to get the stats of the mutated creature with three +1/+1 counters.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Fiskebent wrote: »
    Something I can't quite wrap my head around is that if you mutate something on top of a land Nissa has made into a creature, it stays a 3/3 and not the stats of the mutated creature. Is that a bug or is there a reason for that?

I would expect it to get the stats of the mutated creature with three +1/+1 counters.

Did you put the land on top by accident? Because it absolutely should get the counters.