Options

Let's get this [job] thread!

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Largely unrelated to my concussion at work, I've asked the person who helped get me my current job through the temp/employment agency if they would be willing to work with me looking for other jobs. I don't dislike this job, though as I've joked before a job where I have substantially less likelihood of dropping a 70 pound box on my head through my own stupidity would be a nice change of pace, and also because of my beard even with the facemask I get quite a fair bit of dust and I don't really want that to continue too long, it's mostly because I know that by the end of the year my job I'm currently working at will be folded into a larger single warehouse with more people, under the supervision of one of those types of people who hates to see people not working when there's nothing to do, and doesn't like it when people who are stacking boxes listen to music while doing so... and we all know that at the end of NEXT year the warehouse is getting closed down and all the jobs are moving to Georgia

So hopefully I'll be able to get another position by the end of the year.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Sippin’ the whiskey

I think I have a cut on my tongue or something

But this stuff is nice, it’s got a good flavor

... I assume, anyway, I’m not well trained in whiskey flavors

Flow chart for tasting anything:
    Do you like the taste? If yes, it is good. If no, it is bad.
    Tasting notes, comparing smells, talking about how a thing was made and how it affects those things are all things I find fun, but good and bad will always always be subjective. So don't worry about it and fuck anyone who says different. Chase that $400 scotch with Coke if you want. My only issue there is I'd really feel I could have set you up to be equally happy for less money but eh!

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    I generally take “good” to carry the suggestion “I know from (whatever)”.

Otherwise I generally will say I like something. If I’m making a statement about its placement in a hierarchy, i’ll Call it “good”.

This is not an absolute rule, but how things “should work” in my head.

Mori seems to have a similar head canon.

sarukun on
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    TheStig wrote: »
    Alternatively, you can have one of these as a way to drink whisky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOOzjDE1Uy8

Where's my $2 vodka capsules for butt chugging?

Did you check...

your butt?

Did you check the cloud?

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I have been off for 30 minutes and not left this office chair.

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Last shift at work then I'm off until the middle of Jan 2020. My wife is going back to work so I'm taking shared parental leave and looking after the kiddo.

Counting down the hours....

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular

Did you check...

your butt?

Did you check the cloud?

No, check the back first.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

Did you check...

your butt?

Did you check the cloud?

No, check the back first.

Inquire in rear

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Sippin’ the whiskey

I think I have a cut on my tongue or something

But this stuff is nice, it’s got a good flavor

... I assume, anyway, I’m not well trained in whiskey flavors

@Moriveth I highly recommend you check out Whisk(e)y Tribe/Vault on youtube. Pretty fun, and really good intros into figuring out what you like, why you like it, and what to look for when you want to find more

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    So a co-worker left on Friday. New opportunity, very sad, yadda yadda.

But apparently she had a secret stash of chocolate at her desk that was not widely advertised. And as her food/baking buddy in the team, she left the stash to me.

...except for the one Whitaker's limited bar, which was given to my work buddy, as he did know about the stash and teased her about wanting that bar a few times. The rest of the stash gifted to me is just assorted Cadbury minis.

So while I now have multiple unexpected chocolate bars on my desk, it somehow has ended up feeling a little like getting your hands on Smaug's gold after some burglar's nicked off with the Arkenstone of Thrain.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    A dragon hoard simile.

The best kind of simile.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Job thread, I just spent a weekend at Oktoberfest, drinking way too much, eating way too much, and just generally enjoying the company I was with.

Bizarrely, that was a pair of coworkers.

It's good to work with cool people.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Eagle Rare!

Haven't tried that but I've heard good things!

Eagle Rare is quality stuff. Still has the 10 year age statement on it, and it's still about $30. It's a really nice sipper.

I agree with everything in that statement, except the $30 part. That part makes me cry.

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    So I got my flu shot on Wednesday and then this person on my team started tripping out about it and saying there is formaldehyde in the flu vaccine and she stopped getting flu shots and etc.

Can't even with these people sometimes.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Yoooo

Who does resume review/editing? Either in general or tech fields specifically?

I'm tryna get the fuck up outta here.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Mully does iirc, but I haven't seen her around in ages. Someone in the thread might be able to get a hold of her.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    Stragint wrote: »
    So I got my flu shot on Wednesday and then this person on my team started tripping out about it and saying there is formaldehyde in the flu vaccine and she stopped getting flu shots and etc.

Can't even with these people sometimes.

Tell him there's arsenic in some nuts, selenium in others. Both lethal, like water, to human living.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    One of our new employees told me last week that getting the flu shot when you're healthy is a bad idea because it compromises your immune system, making you more likely to get the flu and forcing you to get the flu shot continuously forward to avoid getting the flu.

He's a supervisor so I couldn't just ask him if he could hear that whistling noise between his ears where a brain is supposed to be.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    One of our new employees told me last week that getting the flu shot when you're healthy is a bad idea because it compromises your immune system, making you more likely to get the flu and forcing you to get the flu shot continuously forward to avoid getting the flu.

He's a supervisor so I couldn't just ask him if he could hear that whistling noise between his ears where a brain is supposed to be.

A relative of mine heard that it might give you "stronger immunity" to skip the flu shot "sometimes." I immediately asked them how that would work exactly and they got flustered at being challenged on the idea so directly and shut down. It's always SOMETHING with people and vaccines...

• Options
    Yeah I just nod and shrug at that sort of thing. Too many people say "I'm all for vaccines, but maybe we have too many?" and point to chicken pox for kids and flu vaccines and I'm just like, "yeah and maybe we have too much technology but you're still using your smartphone sooooo"

It's just an imagined middle ground that people have adjusted to so that they can feel like they're between the two extremes (where one 'extreme' is "vaccines are good, actually")

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    This is super important @Fishman

Which Whittaker's bar was it.

Also hope you weren't too inconvenienced by the protestors today. Was thinking of you while I listened to the news

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    This is super important @Fishman

Also hope you weren't too inconvenienced by the protestors today. Was thinking of you while I listened to the news

Toffee Milk bar.

I managed to avoid the protestors by happenstance. I walk past parliament to go up to my work, because it's a gentle grade and doesn't leave me huffing and puffing when I get to the office. And I walk back to the train station by Stout St, because it's down 3 flights of stairs, cross a road, then 3 flights of stairs then a direct stroll to the station.

But this morning when I went past Parliament, they were on Stout St, and this evening when I went home via Stout St they were marching at Parliament. So I basically missed them.

I did however, see the chalk doodles they left behind, which were big on colour but short on meaning or message. Overall, I'd give them an 'A' for effort and presentation, but 'D' for content. Overall passing marks, but room for improvement.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    Yeah I just nod and shrug at that sort of thing. Too many people say "I'm all for vaccines, but maybe we have too many?" and point to chicken pox for kids and flu vaccines and I'm just like, "yeah and maybe we have too much technology but you're still using your smartphone sooooo"

It's just an imagined middle ground that people have adjusted to so that they can feel like they're between the two extremes (where one 'extreme' is "vaccines are good, actually")

"I get all these other vitamins in my diet, why would I need vitamin C as well? I think we just have too many vitamins"

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Why yes my teeth have all fallen out, thank you for noticing

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Dental care is one big scam anyway, two birds with one stone

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Fishman wrote: »
    This is super important Fishman

Toffee Milk bar.

I managed to avoid the protestors by happenstance. I walk past parliament to go up to my work, because it's a gentle grade and doesn't leave me huffing and puffing when I get to the office. And I walk back to the train station by Stout St, because it's down 3 flights of stairs, cross a road, then 3 flights of stairs then a direct stroll to the station.

But this morning when I went past Parliament, they were on Stout St, and this evening when I went home via Stout St they were marching at Parliament. So I basically missed them.

I did however, see the chalk doodles they left behind, which were big on colour but short on meaning or message. Overall, I'd give them an 'A' for effort and presentation, but 'D' for content. Overall passing marks, but room for improvement.

Oooh. I don't think I've seen a toffee milk bar.

I'm usually a dark chocolate person, but I've been addicted to the honey bubble crunch bars. The flat white one is pretty good too.

• Options

If you're dentist is using birds and stones then I agree, you are being scammed

• Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    First day at the new job in a few short hours. Am excite. Also am nervous that there will be mold and I'll be right back on this vicious fucking cycle. I can't be too negative though, I can just be vigilant and do the best I can for my career and health, so that I might be as fully actualized as one might be in a capitalist society.

• Options
    MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    I'm stranded in Bodø. Apparently the place I'm going is one of the more out-of-the-way in Norway, and the boat does not go there at 11.30, as I was lead to believe. That's on Tuesdays. No, it leaves at 18.00, so now I have a whole lot of time to kill.

Honestly, I'm fine with this, it gives me time to explore the city and pick up some stuff, but I could have got a later plane, and not had to get up at 5 this morning!

• Options
    Madican wrote: »

In times like these I usually like to hit ‘em with the “Ha-hokay, pal.”

Or, another time-honored Classic, the “Sha-hure thing, chief.”

• Options
    MrGrimoire wrote: »
    I'm stranded in Bodø. Apparently the place I'm going is one of the more out-of-the-way in Norway, and the boat does not go there at 11.30, as I was lead to believe. That's on Tuesdays. No, it leaves at 18.00, so now I have a whole lot of time to kill.

Honestly, I'm fine with this, it gives me time to explore the city and pick up some stuff, but I could have got a later plane, and not had to get up at 5 this morning!

Have you read Stand Still Stay Silent?

• Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Tox wrote: »

If you're dentist is using birds and stones then I agree, you are being scammed

If it’s good enough for hippos, it’s good enough for me.

One thing about vaccine idiots I always find funny, is that they are often the exact sort of people who host chicken pox parties to expose their kids and get them immune.

And like, that’s a vaccine. That’s how they work.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    But that's the natural way, which is wholesome and good.
    (You can't trust science, you know.)

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited October 2019

Maybe he can make it a bit more north to Finnøya before nightfall. But 6pm this time of the year? Dangerous
    https://sssscomic.com/comic.php?page=66

honovere on
  • Options
    MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular

Can't say i have, but I'm reading it now.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I just got given a big bag of chantrelle mushrooms what the fuck

• Options
    From a new farmer who's just moved into the area?

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I just got given a big bag of chantrelle mushrooms what the fuck

Mori
    this is definitely one of those superpowers where the person who possesses it doesn't realize it's a superpower. But it is.
    Either that or you've been blessed by the fairies.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    One of the paralegals just asked if I wanted some and I said "hey, sure" and lo and behold I've got like 1.5 pounds of chantrelles now

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Thank god this power went to someone who isn't using it for evil.