Options

[Canada] is also staying home and washing their hands

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    Tomorrow's the big day.
    I hope to be able to avoid any politicial news until tuesday, maybe wednesday.

• Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    Oh boy its decision day on what flavour of neo liberalism we want

Vanilla or cracker

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Oh boy its decision day on what flavour of neo liberalism we want

Vanilla or cracker

There's also orange creamsicle! Don't forget that!

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    I'm torn between going to a bar with a friend to watch the results, or playing video games and being oblivious (which will not work, because I know I'll slip and keep checking policy wonk twitter accounts)

It basically depends on how tired I am after work, I think

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    From this polling station deep in a hollow old rotten log I cast a vote

• Options

How bad was the lineup

Steam
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    my polling station is a 5 minute walk from my house so the Mrs. and I are going to walk the dogs down after work

• Options
    Cello wrote: »

How bad was the lineup

There was a seething carpet of woodlice and a salamander so not bad

• Options
    Woodlice in the families Armadillidae, Armadillidiidae, Eubelidae, Tylidae and some other genera can roll up into an almost perfect sphere as a defensive mechanism; others have partial rolling ability but most cannot conglobate at all.

CONGLOBATE

I TOO CANNOT CONGLOBATE AT ALL

• Options
    Woodlice in the families Armadillidae, Armadillidiidae, Eubelidae, Tylidae and some other genera can roll up into an almost perfect sphere as a defensive mechanism; others have partial rolling ability but most cannot conglobate at all.

CONGLOBATE

I TOO CANNOT CONGLOBATE AT ALL

Finally, something we have in common

Steam
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    Last federal election my work let us go home early so we can vote, even though they didn't have to. I haven't heard anything about letting us go early today. Damn.

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Get your butts and Vote. I don't care if you vote Orange, Red, Blue, Green or that Racist Party (okay, I might judge for that one) or the Rhino Party. Just get out there and do it!

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Oh I will judge the shit out of people who vote for any shade of blue, up to them whether they care about my opinion though.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i would definitely prefer if you don't vote if you planned on voting conservative yeah

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    VOTE BUT NOT FOR THE BAD ONES

SIGNED, CANADA

sig.gif
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    I saw a sticker on a truck that was Calvin wearing a cowboy hat with the Conservative C on it and he was peeing on Liberal and NDP.

• Options
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    I saw a sticker on a truck that was Calvin wearing a cowboy hat with the Conservative C on it and he was peeing on Liberal and NDP.

This sounds like the most Existing thing

sig.gif
  • Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    ChicoBlue wrote: »

It’s always on a truck, ain’t it?

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    I wanna see Calvin peeing on a Confederate flag on a small electric Toyota just once

sig.gif
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Suddenly remembering a person from these forums who volunteered that they voted bloc in one of the conservative majority elections because of their racist culture war bullshit and yeah I kinda judge them.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    Suddenly remembering a person from these forums who volunteered that they voted bloc in one of the conservative majority elections because of their racist culture war bullshit and yeah I kinda judge them.

I voted Bloc in 2004, 06 and 08. There’s... a lot about Quebecois identity that I won’t get into here. But I definitely felt like a leftist when I did.

It’s Very Complicated.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Quebec politics is a weird thing where at first glance things are pretty progressive until you start dealing with muslim immigrants and there's these *incredibly* fashy looking "youth groups" doing military style marches at Ste Jean Baptiste parades and nobody bats an eye.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    I mean, I absolutely understand the appeal of voting for a regional party that you know is always going to put your province's interests first

even the separatist stuff, I'm certain there are a lot of bloc voters that would still vote non on a new referendum

the racism stuff... that's where I start having trouble

• Options
    I absolutely bailed out when it became incredibly clear that “Quebecois nationalism” was just a euphemism for “enforced white, French, secularist superiority”.

Like when the Marois version of the charter pretty clearly spelled out “oh but all the catholic landmarks will be protected” I was out forever.

The things I was proud of were things like how we have nationalized electricity, we were among the first to have nationalized healthcare in Canada, the whole Quiet Revolution thing

All these things that parties with a Q in their acronym have worked to destroy for the past decade.

sig.gif
  • Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    When I was living in Quebec for a few months, I found the people living in the big cities to be the nicest, most progressive people you could ever meet. The moment you left the city limits... well they were still nice to me, but the racist stuff they said was pretty much the French version of what people in my rural home county would say.

So, they’re not too different...

• Options
    SimBen wrote: »
    I absolutely bailed out when it became incredibly clear that “Quebecois nationalism” was just a euphemism for “enforced white, French, secularist superiority”.

Like when the Marois version of the charter pretty clearly spelled out “oh but all the catholic landmarks will be protected” I was out forever.

The things I was proud of were things like how we have nationalized electricity, we were among the first to have nationalized healthcare in Canada, the whole Quiet Revolution thing

All these things that parties with a Q in their acronym have worked to destroy for the past decade.

*Quebec Solidaire is the one exception but all our provincial parties have Quebec in their name obviously

sig.gif
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    I'm a bit conflicted on where I'll be casting my vote (it won't be conservative, I know that much).

I've usually been a Liberal/NDP guy. Part of me is all "vote lib, because nothing will really change. aka - better the devil you know..." but I've voted NDP in the past, especially when Layton was head of things, because just ONCE I wanted to see what they could manage if they could run with a majority.

But they never win. And voting NDP feels like a split vote that gives the Cons more power. But voting Lib means nothing really gets woooorrrse, but nothing really gets betterrrr... though either is still better than if the Cons win.

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    I'm a bit conflicted on where I'll be casting my vote (it won't be conservative, I know that much).

I've usually been a Liberal/NDP guy. Part of me is all "vote lib, because nothing will really change. aka - better the devil you know..." but I've voted NDP in the past, especially when Layton was head of things, because just ONCE I wanted to see what they could manage if they could run with a majority.

But they never win. And voting NDP feels like a split vote that gives the Cons more power. But voting Lib means nothing really gets woooorrrse, but nothing really gets betterrrr... though either is still better than if the Cons win.

https://votewell.ca/

• Options
    I was convinced of the strategic voting thing until I wasn't, really, when I read a particular politics journalist essentially point out that a vote for the Liberals isn't a moral imperative, and it's no one's fault but theirs if they lose votes, not the individual voter's

The Liberals promised the last election that it would be the last one that involved strategic voting, and then spent all of ten minutes looking at it before deciding it wasn't of value, so imo it isn't worth voting for them with that specific reasoning because if they really wanted to, they had the mandate and power to change. Vote for your ideals and the policy platforms you support instead!

If you feel like you align best with the Liberals, that's fine! But the NDP could hold the balance of power either way this time, so if the only thing holding you back from voting for them is that fear factor or not thinking they're going to have power enough to enact change, well, this is the first election in a while where they just might

Vote with your heart is what I'm suggesting, basically, unless you want to vote PPC, in which case may I strongly state my support for Maxime Bernier of the Rhino Party?

Steam
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »

Heh, the site's suggesting I vote Liberal, which was my likely option, but you should honestly see the number of blue signs in my area. I'm also like, one riding away from Ford Nation.

More ridiculous, I'm working late tonight (finish at 8:00PM, still plenty of time to go vote after) and one of the other guys in the office with me is a Sales consultant still taking calls. He's actively asking people if they've voted yet, how will they vote, and then going into personal politics about how much he hates Trudeau. It's actually infuriating me slightly. Personal opinion should never become a topic during a Sales call, unless you think it'll help make a sale, but even that's kind of low, and he's not changing his tune for any call he's taking, so I know it's not a tactic to drum up business.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »

Heh, the site's suggesting I vote Liberal, which was my likely option, but you should honestly see the number of blue signs in my area. I'm also like, one riding away from Ford Nation.

More ridiculous, I'm working late tonight (finish at 8:00PM, still plenty of time to go vote after) and one of the other guys in the office with me is a Sales consultant still taking calls. He's actively asking people if they've voted yet, how will they vote, and then going into personal politics about how much he hates Trudeau. It's actually infuriating me slightly. Personal opinion should never become a topic during a Sales call, unless you think it'll help make a sale, but even that's kind of low, and he's not changing his tune for any call he's taking, so I know it's not a tactic to drum up business.

... He's probably costing your company business? Even if one of the people he speaks to doesn't complain, you should also happily consider throwing him overboard

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    Just curious what site y'all consider to be the best to follow along as results roll in.

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    I just picked up my wife at work to get her to a polling station on time.

She said she saw an ad for the Liberal Incumbent in our riding today on Facebook that was along the lines of "Last time I only barely beat the Tories and look at all the good work I've done. Don't throw your vote away on a third party and accidentally elect the Tories"

which a) is a fucking despicable tactic to draw votes away from the NDP and
    b) is entirely bullshit because she's like 98% projected to win.

It seems like the Libs REALLY don't want a minority government, eh?

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    I wonder how different the political landscape in Canada would look if we had preferential voting of some sort, or really anything besides FPTP

Genuinely thought, last federal election, that we'd end up finding out. Still kind of hoping for it!

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Oh man, I reckon it would have HUGE impact. I wouldn't be surprised if the greens and NDP picked up WAY more seats.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    Wyborn wrote: »
    I wonder how different the political landscape in Canada would look if we had preferential voting of some sort, or really anything besides FPTP

Genuinely thought, last federal election, that we'd end up finding out. Still kind of hoping for it!

The problem is that each of the major parties wants a different voting system so I doubt we see any change unless maaybe if the NDP somehow one day for a government

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    The final use of FPTP will be to choose the voting system that replaces FPTP

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    KetBra wrote: »
    Wyborn wrote: »

The problem is that each of the major parties wants a different voting system so I doubt we see any change unless maaybe if the NDP somehow one day for a government

I feel like I didn't engage with this seriously enough

What different systems do the major parties want?

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Well it is looking a lllot like Trudeau stays.

sig.gif
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    SimBen wrote: »
    Well it is looking a lllot like Trudeau stays.

Could be worse.