sig.gif
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    CBC saying minority now

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Yup, we got a liberal minority.

Might be a particularly stable minority though, with the NDP holding the balance. We’ll see!

sig.gif
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    SimBen wrote: »
    Well it is looking a lllot like Trudeau stays.

Could be worse.

while true im still disappointed in giant comet 2019's performance

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular

Could be worse.

Totally get it, but as another colonial who sat through an absolute shit of an election outcome back in May, I'm breathing a sigh of relief.

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular

Could be worse.

Totally get it, but as another colonial who sat through an absolute shit of an election outcome back in May, I'm breathing a sigh of relief.

YES. SAME.

• Options
    Also get hype for minority government shenanigans

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    The seat distribution makes things... awkward

It's possible that the libs cannot pass a confidence motion without some tories or bloc voters

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    Obviously not the outcome I was hoping for, but the chances of it being anything other than this, a liberal majority, or a conservative minority were obviously incredibly slim, and I’d say this is easily the best of those options.

• Options
    the chances of it being anything other than this, a liberal majority, or a conservative minority were obviously incredibly slim

and yet, recent elections in other countries have come out in those incredibly slim, incredibly depressing ways.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »
    The seat distribution makes things... awkward

It's possible that the libs cannot pass a confidence motion without some tories or bloc voters

Still some results coming in, LPC + NDP is now over 170

• Options
    2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »
    the chances of it being anything other than this, a liberal majority, or a conservative minority were obviously incredibly slim

and yet, recent elections in other countries have come out in those incredibly slim, incredibly depressing ways.

Very true. I mean, shit, I live in Ontario. Shit is bad here. Although the conservative majority here was much less surprising, I’m still thankful we don’t have to deal with that on a national scale. Far too many places are suffering under far right austerity and violence.

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    Less than 25% of the polling stations in my riding have reported yet, and the liberal candidate is only 4k votes ahead of the Bloq, and yet CBC is already declaring a liberal win.
    I don't get poll predictions.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
  • Options
  • Options
    Yu-gi-oh meme but both cards are Maxime Bernier

sig.gif
  • Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    "I play my Maxime Bernier, in Attack mode!

Wait just one second! I activate my Maxime Bernier in response!"

That kind of thing?

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    Elaro wrote: »
    "I play my Maxime Bernier, in Attack mode!

Wait just one second! I activate my Maxime Bernier in response!"

That kind of thing?

Yeah and then Kaiba is disintegrated, you know the one

sig.gif
  • Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Folks

I didn't dare believe we'd get the Good Option here, but here we are

This is a barely comprehensible relief, and I'm really crossing my fingers for actually decent pharmacare now

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    Hahaha, apparently Rhino Maxime Bernier's slogan is "If you're not sure, then vote for both!"

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Rhino Max for person of the year

sig.gif
  • Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Apparently the Rhino leader wrote 70 Maxime Berniers on Facebook and found the perfect one to run

Apparently he was also the only one to say yes

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    KetBra wrote: »
    Hahaha, apparently Rhino Maxime Bernier's slogan is "If you're not sure, then vote for both!"

"I play "Vote Annulment"!"

• Options
    Okay so it seems like the margin isn’t actually there for it to make a difference

But I still just, really want Rhino Max to become a folk tale

I want him mentioned in a Cracked article someday

sig.gif
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    The Conservative candidate in my riding has apparently won 80% of the vote.

The Quidditch playing NDP candidate came in second, though! With about 8%.

Extremely happy Bernier and the PPC ate shit.

God, I hope the Liberals and the NDP can work together and shove that pee right back up Conservative Calvin's dick.

ChicoBlue on
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    I gave a sigh of relief when I saw the thread title. I still haven't come to terms with the fact Scott Morrison won the Aussie election

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    edit: never mind

Elaro on
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    27f6ggsylyh5.png

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    would've really liked the nice sikh man tho

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    In case you're wondering just how badly FPTP screwed us this time around: oooh boyyyyyy

LPC got 33.05% of the vote and 157/338 MPs (46.45%)
    CPC got 34.4% of the vote and 121 MPs (35.8%)
    BQ got 7.7% and 32 (9.47%)
    NDP got 15.91% and 24 (7.1%)
    GP got 6.5% and 3 (0.89%)
    Independents, globally, got 0.8% and 1 (0.3%)
    PPC got 1.64% and 0 (0%, which is the one instance where FPTP got it right because that's what he is, a big fat zero).

So yeah, the order of influence is literally completely shuffled from what the popular vote should give us.

sig.gif
  • Options
    wow weird it's almost as though the liberals didn't want to get rid of a system that would benefit them

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    The three parties that got the most screwed out of this, the Conservatives, NDP and Greens, don't together hold enough seats to push voting reform through so I guess we're doing this again in a couple years.

sig.gif
  • Options
    the conservatives won't change it because their goal is to trade places with the liberals in how it benefits them

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    In case you're wondering just how badly FPTP screwed us this time around: oooh boyyyyyy

PPC got 1.64% and 0 (0%, which is the one instance where FPTP got it right because that's what he is, a big fat zero).

So yeah, the order of influence is literally completely shuffled from what the popular vote should give us.

That's not...

Nationwide popular vote doesn't matter in a parliamentary system, regardless of the vote counting method.

#pipe on
  • Options
    #pipe wrote: »

That's not...

Nationwide popular vote doesn't matter in a parliamentary system, regardless of the vote counting merged.

It could definitely be argued that a parliament made up of similar proportions to the popular vote reflects the democratic process more fairly, and that FPTP is in great part to blame for how divergent it is in this case.

Nationwide, NPD and Green voters will be very underrepresented in this government, and Liberals overrepresented. That's the problem.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    I want fptp to go but also really have some anxieties about ending up like Australia where its been a nonstop parade of the stupidest and/or evillest people in charge.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    Yeah, that's the other side of the coin

if the government reflected the popular vote, Andrew Scheer would be Prime Minister

however, he would be Prime Minister of a very slim minority government and the NDP would have over twice as much weight in the opposition, and the Greens would then be granted the balance of power as well.

sig.gif
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2019
    I want fptp to go but also really have some anxieties about ending up like Australia where its been a nonstop parade of the stupidest and/or evillest people in charge.

That's uh. That's not the fault of our voting system, which is pretty solid. That's because we're a bunch of regressive morons.

If we had fptp the conservatives would be far more entrenched. Look, I think there's a tendency to look at the US and UK and say oh these arseholes are only in charge because of shenanigans and therefore the populace isn't as fucking awful as it might appear, and then extrapolate to all countries, but Australia is actually a good example of why putting the right system in place won't magically fix cultural issues. I can say, with great confidence, that Australia pretty much always gets the government it wants. Yes, it's embarassing.

Also we don't do proportional representation, there seems to be some confusion about voting systems vs seat allocation. PR with this distribtion would, as noted, end up with the cons in charge. I don't know what single transferrable or ranked choice voting would look like in this scenario, really fucking hard to predict that, but my guess is a larger NDP share of seats but not otherwise much different. Maybe more Bloc seats too.

tynic on