As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Canada] is also staying home and washing their hands

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    when they're not white

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »
    Welp, fourth wave incoming

still the third, I'm afraid

I’m aware, I was attempting dark humor

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    at the end of the day it's kind of all just one long way where everyone goes "i think that wave is going to crash into shore soon, i better paddle out there so i can party behind it!"

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
  • Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »

If you haven't seen CTV's reporting on this cult it is buck wild

W5 had a story on them a few weeks back? The pastor dictates everything from the clothes you wear to the colour of paint in your house, you're not allowed to get medical treatment without permission and it is nearly always denied, and an ex-cult member who used to be part of the ministry end of it had to watch his mother die of a preventable illness and open wounds

Oh, here it is here:

https://youtu.be/dNskfQpjsag

This isn't like a standard church, it's a full-on cult and it is insane to me for it to be like... an hour away

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Meanwhile in Nova Scotia, we added another 63 cases yesterday putting us on track to pass our numbers from last spring. Another government briefing today, likely/hopefully extending the lockdown further and closing all of the schools + shutting down non-essential businesses altogether

and in more personal news, it looks like someone who works at the food court near my work tested positive as anybody who was there Wednesday/Thursday last week has been told to self-isolate and get tested

guess who can only leave the apartment for dog walks (while avoiding other people) and walking to my scheduled test on Thursday? I don't *think* I would have got it, I was only there long enough to pick up a bag of food and walk out but I'm fully aware that's not the point and I'm not smart enough to make that call myself.

I think I've got enough groceries to last the week, worst case my parents have said they'll deliver.

• Options
    Meanwhile in Nova Scotia, we added another 63 cases yesterday putting us on track to pass our numbers from last spring. Another government briefing today, likely/hopefully extending the lockdown further and closing all of the schools + shutting down non-essential businesses altogether

and in more personal news, it looks like someone who works at the food court near my work tested positive as anybody who was there Wednesday/Thursday last week has been told to self-isolate and get tested

guess who can only leave the apartment for dog walks (while avoiding other people) and walking to my scheduled test on Thursday? I don't *think* I would have got it, I was only there long enough to pick up a bag of food and walk out but I'm fully aware that's not the point and I'm not smart enough to make that call myself.

I think I've got enough groceries to last the week, worst case my parents have said they'll deliver.

Oh geez Doug, I hope things turn out okay! Scandal at least will be thrilled for all the one-on-one time!

Steam
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Meanwhile in Alberta we’re seeing daily cases between 1500 and 2000 and we don’t even know when the next time we’ll hear from the chief medical officer of health or the premier

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    oh yeah I'm not complaining. Our total cases right now are roughly proportional to a lot of places daily cases and the government is shutting everything the fuck down in response

• Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Yeah, Nova Scotia government is showing real leadership instead of the "let them die for the economy" bullshit we're seeing in BC, Alberta, Ontario and other places. I'm so, so, angry.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    Corvus wrote: »
    Yeah, Nova Scotia government is showing real leadership instead of the "let them die for the economy" bullshit we're seeing in BC, Alberta, Ontario and other places. I'm so, so, angry.

Rankin did just join the Premiers Afraid Of Paid Sick Days Club, though.

"Is the government considering implementing paid sick days?"

"Well, if you're sick you need to stay home. Next question!"

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    I wish that I could think that Nova Scotia is for the most part understanding of the need to be in quarantine was because we’re smart people who understand the importance of listening to expert advice. But I think that a large part of why it’s going over so well with most people here is that the rise in cases seems to have been initiated by people From Away, and there’s been some high profile instances of people From Away violating quarantines and gathering limits. That is to say, Atlantic Canadian xenophobia has been triggered pretty hard. We have an Other to blame, and that’s making Rankin’s job easier.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    I wish that I could think that Nova Scotia is for the most part understanding of the need to be in quarantine was because we’re smart people who understand the importance of listening to expert advice. But I think that a large part of why it’s going over so well with most people here is that the rise in cases seems to have been initiated by people From Away, and there’s been some high profile instances of people From Away violating quarantines and gathering limits. That is to say, Atlantic Canadian xenophobia has been triggered pretty hard. We have an Other to blame, and that’s making Rankin’s job easier.

you're not wrong, but what those people are forgetting is that it was home grown local idiots that went and visited those people From Away and then spread it to the rest of the community

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

On the bright side, so far as I understand the current set of restrictions, trails, parks and playgrounds are to remain open. So I expect that if you want to walk around the Commons, the Public Gardens, Point Pleasant Park, etc, or to get off the peninsula onto the chain of lake trails (or any of the other trails) you’re free to do so, once your test comes back with a (hopefully) negative result.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    yeah, I've still got to be a little cautious, going to give people an even wider berth than normal and avoid more busy trails

but walking in Point Pleasant was basically my main daily outing anyway so as long as my groceries hold up this shouldn't really impact me too much

• Options
    Outdoor transmission is very rare according to everything I've seen. I can totally see it playing well with the xenophobia. Moving to HFX for a couple of uni years from BC, the attitudes towards people not from the Maritimes were something else.

• Options
    Outdoor transmission is very rare according to everything I've seen. I can totally see it playing well with the xenophobia. Moving to HFX for a couple of uni years from BC, the attitudes towards people not from the Maritimes were something else.

It was very rare before but is happening now with the variants due to their heightened transmissability

Basically just wear a mask if you're gonna be near other people and don't hang out maskless close to each other for 6 hours at a BBQ and you'll be fine

Steam
  • Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    I just met my neighbour for the first time (only met his renters for the 15+ years I've been in my home), and the dude straight up tried to give me "the science talk" about how mask wearing is not effective, using the outdoor setting as an excuse for requesting that I take mine off. Like buddy, there's a pandemic outside and I'm a rando approaching you to introduce myself. I'm going to keep 6 feet away, and I'm going to wear a mask as a courtesy as well as a precaution.

Why do anti-maskers need to be adversarial every time someone ELSE is wearing PPE? I mean, I know it's because their soft, fragile ego's can't stand being reminded of the selfish choice their making, but still...

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular

Id probably feel better if it was government negligence but then you remember liberals who should know better complaining about over population and demanding we means test all social services and then see what they've done in response and it's like oh no they think this is the correct response and a amount they think theyve done a good job

Then obviously the further right you go the more hands off and market orientated the responses has been and it's like Jesus Christ we are just paw a for rich assholes

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    Cello wrote: »

W5 had a story on them a few weeks back? The pastor dictates everything from the clothes you wear to the colour of paint in your house, you're not allowed to get medical treatment without permission and it is nearly always denied, and an ex-cult member who used to be part of the ministry end of it had to watch his mother die of a preventable illness and open wounds

Oh, here it is here:

This isn't like a standard church, it's a full-on cult and it is insane to me for it to be like... an hour away

good christ

I remember my grandfather had some kind of literature from Randy Hillier on his fridge years and years ago when he lived in Lanark County and how much of a fuckin yokel he looked like

• Options
    Update from Nova Scotia:
    https://youtu.be/yW3JrHH6Zc0

(Nonessential businesses closed or limited to remote work, curbside pickup, etc, household or 5-person bubbles, basically where we were this time last year)

• Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    Kenney? Shandro? Hinshaw? We're seeing examples of good lock-down procedures both nationally and abroad... Can Alberta... No? No... *sigh* Okay, I'll go set up the field hospital at the Butter Dome...

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Quebec people:

w1cnq5lpesgr.png

Tag yourself I'm May 7th

sig.gif
  • Options
    Is that registration or actually getting a shot?

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I didnt qualify for no fuckin cerb and now they wont even give me my fuckin tax refund and the bank charged me five bucks for not having any money AGAIN and crime is illegal I don't know what this government expects of me nothin good seems like

• Options
    Is that registration or actually getting a shot?

Registration. It seems so far you usually end up with an appointment about 2 weeks after you register.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Hobnail wrote: »
    I didnt qualify for no fuckin cerb and now they wont even give me my fuckin tax refund and the bank charged me five bucks for not having any money AGAIN and crime is illegal I don't know what this government expects of me nothin good seems like

God that sucks, I'm sorry. :(

sig.gif
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Got my fuckin health anyways grumble mumble grumble groan

• Options
    BC, some important info here for those of us who got AZ, in regards to second doses:

https://www.timescolonist.com/news/local/how-to-register-for-a-second-dose-of-the-astrazeneca-vaccine-in-b-c-1.24313064

TLDR: If you got AZ at a pharmacy and did not yet register on the Gov of BC Get Vaccinated site, after May 1st you need to do so in order to get a second dose appointment for down the road. If you already are registered on Get Vaccinated you don't need to do anything.

• Options
    SimBen wrote: »
    Quebec people:

w1cnq5lpesgr.png

Tag yourself I'm May 7th

I'm May 17th, which is cooler because there's a 1 in front and that means I'm the best

(Ontario folks, our schedule is out too)

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/covid-19-ontario-april-29-vaccine-modelling-1.6006880

Steam
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular

Oh, here it is here:

I will genuinely never understand how these 'Bob's First Church of Highway 3' "churches" get followings. I mean, depressingly, I do kind of see how they draw people in, but it's just so depressing and stupid that you think it couldn't possibly persist. Then it does. Ugh.

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    Alberta just broke their record with 2,048 new cases in a day. Love to break records

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options

Oh, here it is here:

I will genuinely never understand how these 'Bob's First Church of Highway 3' "churches" get followings. I mean, depressingly, I do kind of see how they draw people in, but it's just so depressing and stupid that you think it couldn't possibly persist. Then it does. Ugh.

I honestly don't know either; Aylmer is not super far outside of Ottawa and the folks I know from the town are fine?? And most of the businesses there, especially on the main strip, are upset because the anti-mask rallies are hurting them in terms of making Ottawans not wanting to drive over to buy stuff

It seems like they have been there a while so I guess there's just been this quietly growing group??? I'm generally quite plugged in and I had to google during that segment because I was shocked to find out they were so close to here in the Aylmer I know about

Steam
  • Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    A lot of them make art forms out of being really welcoming of certain kinds of people who might be lonely, disaffected, worried about the state of the world, or otherwise isolated. The really out-there congregations usually aren't obvious about it until you're well into them or they grow big enough to start affecting the wider community. Prior to that it's a warm group of friendly people open to the curious and who really want you to know more about their little community.

You go from that to suddenly having this big group of people putting on a show of caring for you and helping you along with things, and it isn't that long before that's your entire social circle. Even if you do notice something weird or upsetting about it at that point, what're your options? You can grit your teeth, stick around, maybe rationalize things, or you can speak up or leave - and both of those not only throw you right back to "lonely and isolated" with a dollop of active hostility replacing the previous indifference. If you stay in, you start getting additional conditions from them that keep you in - get your information from these sources, only attend those schools, and all of that just locks people in even further.

Then you have people who were born into those kinds of groups. That's especially hard to escape because the congregation's your entire world from birth, and it's even worse if it's a congregation like Hildebrandt's which explicitly teaches parents to break their children's spirit (in those words!!) to ensure perfect obedience.

A church that's like five percent as whackjob as Hildebrandt's congregation - which is still pretty whackjob, mind - recently ate a nephew using basically that general pipeline. We're having fun trying to figure out how to address it.

• Options
    Alberta just broke their record with 2,048 new cases in a day. Love to break records

Also man, I'm sorry, I've been following the Alberta news with an ever growing confusion and exasperation of "number go up bad maybe make number go down?? Shandro??? Kenney????"

The cold comfort being seeing his polls drop I guess but, man, fuck, what a horror show

Steam
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    Looks like I'm eligible week of May 10th as I'm classified as "people who cannot work from home".

Getting increasingly stressed about having to go to work during all of this.

• Options
    Al_wat wrote: »
    Looks like I'm eligible week of May 10th as I'm classified as "people who cannot work from home".

Getting increasingly stressed about having to go to work during all of this.

Do you have any kind of leave? The provincial plan just revealed but not voted on yet, as shitty as it is, is supposed to include time off for vaccination appointments at least

Otherwise if there's any way we can help in the thread/via PM (I have a lot of time, I can let you know if your region comes up on Vaccine Hunters or whatever if that would assist!), let us know!

Steam
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    I already have provisions in my collective agreement that I can take time off for "medical appointments" which this vaccination would definitely count for.

I appreciate the offer! I can probably manage to figure it out though.

• Options
    Al_wat wrote: »
    I already have provisions in my collective agreement that I can take time off for "medical appointments" which this vaccination would definitely count for.

I appreciate the offer! I can probably manage to figure it out though.

No worries! Trying to help folks where I can since I've got the privilege of time and technical skills, so same offer goes for anyone else in the thread who might need assistance

Hope it all goes smoothly!

Steam
  • Options
    It's a bit like scammers: 99% of the time, it's really easy to go "uh this is clearly a fucking scam". But they're banking on that 1% of people who are having a bad day, who are stressed about something else, distracted, the slightest thing to foot in door, and once your brain is in it just becomes easier to believe everything else because that's how our dumb brains be

liEt3nH.png