As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Canada] is also staying home and washing their hands

• Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Cello wrote: »
    Fearghaill wrote: »

If you haven't seen CTV's reporting on this cult it is buck wild

W5 had a story on them a few weeks back? The pastor dictates everything from the clothes you wear to the colour of paint in your house, you're not allowed to get medical treatment without permission and it is nearly always denied, and an ex-cult member who used to be part of the ministry end of it had to watch his mother die of a preventable illness and open wounds

Oh, here it is here:

https://youtu.be/dNskfQpjsag

This isn't like a standard church, it's a full-on cult and it is insane to me for it to be like... an hour away

I will genuinely never understand how these 'Bob's First Church of Highway 3' "churches" get followings. I mean, depressingly, I do kind of see how they draw people in, but it's just so depressing and stupid that you think it couldn't possibly persist. Then it does. Ugh.

I honestly don't know either; Aylmer is not super far outside of Ottawa and the folks I know from the town are fine?? And most of the businesses there, especially on the main strip, are upset because the anti-mask rallies are hurting them in terms of making Ottawans not wanting to drive over to buy stuff

It seems like they have been there a while so I guess there's just been this quietly growing group??? I'm generally quite plugged in and I had to google during that segment because I was shocked to find out they were so close to here in the Aylmer I know about

I think you might be thinking of the wrong Aylmer. The Aylmer in this case is located in the southwestern part of Ontario, not all that far from Windsor and Leamington, and a bit of a haul from Ottawa. Although in looking into this I've discovered there's apparently an Aylmer in Quebec that I wasn't aware of.

I was down in the area for some camping at Point Pelee just before the province shut down, and there's definitely a lot more of those "No More Lockdowns" signs than you'd expect.

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Entriech wrote: »

W5 had a story on them a few weeks back? The pastor dictates everything from the clothes you wear to the colour of paint in your house, you're not allowed to get medical treatment without permission and it is nearly always denied, and an ex-cult member who used to be part of the ministry end of it had to watch his mother die of a preventable illness and open wounds

Oh, here it is here:

This isn't like a standard church, it's a full-on cult and it is insane to me for it to be like... an hour away

I will genuinely never understand how these 'Bob's First Church of Highway 3' "churches" get followings. I mean, depressingly, I do kind of see how they draw people in, but it's just so depressing and stupid that you think it couldn't possibly persist. Then it does. Ugh.

I honestly don't know either; Aylmer is not super far outside of Ottawa and the folks I know from the town are fine?? And most of the businesses there, especially on the main strip, are upset because the anti-mask rallies are hurting them in terms of making Ottawans not wanting to drive over to buy stuff

It seems like they have been there a while so I guess there's just been this quietly growing group??? I'm generally quite plugged in and I had to google during that segment because I was shocked to find out they were so close to here in the Aylmer I know about

I think you might be thinking of the wrong Aylmer. The Aylmer in this case is located in the southwestern part of Ontario, not all that far from Windsor and Leamington, and a bit of a haul from Ottawa. Although in looking into this I've discovered there's apparently an Aylmer in Quebec that I wasn't aware of.

I was down in the area for some camping at Point Pelee just before the province shut down, and there's definitely a lot more of those "No More Lockdowns" signs than you'd expect.

Oh?? Oh!!

Well this clears up a lot, thank you, I was incredibly confused, and also relieved that little community is still okay

Cello on
    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Entriech wrote: »

Oh, here it is here:

Yeah I was gonna say, Aylmer QC was absorbed into Gatineau back when all the municipal fusions happened

they grow tomatoes there because that's a major brand of tomato cans I see on shelves

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Nova Scotia is now to 40 and above getting the vaccine.

I’m 38.

So close. So very close. I want to get that sweet, sweet science juice into my veins.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    I truly wonder how many appointments will be taken today and Monday considering people 45+ have been able to get AZ without an appointment until last week.

I suppose you'll get the vaccine shoppers/people anxious about thromboses, and people who didn't get it in time before the doses ran out in Montreal

wonder if that'll fill up all the available spots though.

sig.gif
  • Options
    SimBen wrote: »
    I truly wonder how many appointments will be taken today and Monday considering people 45+ have been able to get AZ without an appointment until last week.

I suppose you'll get the vaccine shoppers/people anxious about thromboses, and people who didn't get it in time before the doses ran out in Montreal

wonder if that'll fill up all the available spots though.

At least over in Ontario, we went pretty quickly from a ton of people getting appointments to a ton of cancellations due to being out of stock

Certainly preferable to when the boomers were snubbing it, though! They might be sending Pfizer to some of the pharmacies as a pilot to keep the appointments rolling, we'll see

Steam
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Shit, really? Would my Ontario friend have heard if her appointment was cancelled already if it was going to be? She registered on monday this week, and got her roommate who's working fast food an appointment on tuesday or wednesday.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Shit, really? Would my Ontario friend have heard if her appointment was cancelled already if it was going to be? She registered on monday this week, and got her roommate who's working fast food an appointment on tuesday or wednesday.

I can't really speak to that, I'm going by what journalists have said about their cohort on Twitter (one TVO reporter has been cancelled twice) and there may be regional variations

She'll know if she's cancelled if she gets an email from the pharmacy she's registered at

Steam
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Just got an alert on my phone telling me not to go out.

Finally action from the Kenney government!!

• Options

I can't really speak to that, I'm going by what journalists have said about their cohort on Twitter (one TVO reporter has been cancelled twice) and there may be regional variations

She'll know if she's cancelled if she gets an email from the pharmacy she's registered at

Sounds like she has not gotten a cancellation, but also she made the appointment with her region's public health unit rather than a pharmacy, I don't know if that makes a difference. I really hope she gets her shot. She's been living in absolute terror for a year because she's got some sort of immune issue such that she thinks any covid infection would make it go berserk and kill her with inflammation.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options

Sounds like she has not gotten a cancellation, but also she made the appointment with her region's public health unit rather than a pharmacy, I don't know if that makes a difference. I really hope she gets her shot. She's been living in absolute terror for a year because she's got some sort of immune issue such that she thinks any covid infection would make it go berserk and kill her with inflammation.

Oh uh, yeah, I was specifically talking about AstraZeneca, which is being offered in pharmacies, and which is running low on quantity in Ontario

The Pfizer stock is what's being used by the PHUs, she should be fine, they have access to more vaccines than individual pharmacies and more direct logistics

Steam
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    ChicoBlue wrote: »

Well... don't go out unless you'd like to, in which case that's cool and fine

Anyways everything's great here in Alberta

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »
    ChicoBlue wrote: »

Well... don't go out unless you'd like to, in which case that's cool and fine

Anyways everything's great here in Alberta

I grew up outside of Calgary, but moved to Yellowknife about 10 years ago and even though our medical capacity is...very low, I've never been more glad to not be back at home.

• Options
    Yeah but think of all the extra freedom we have

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options

Oh uh, yeah, I was specifically talking about AstraZeneca, which is being offered in pharmacies, and which is running low on quantity in Ontario

The Pfizer stock is what's being used by the PHUs, she should be fine, they have access to more vaccines than individual pharmacies and more direct logistics

I have poor reading comprehension!

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

I saw this picture on the Halifax subreddit, and it hit me kinda hard.

On a Thursday night in mid-spring, that area should be packed, and those windows to the right should be bright.

Come on, vaccination and shutdowns, do your thing.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »

On a Thursday night in mid-spring, that area should be packed, and those windows to the right should be bright.

must be nice to live in a province where people are taking things seriously

yesterday along main st in vancouver every single fucking restaurant patio was PACKED

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Hardtarget wrote: »

yesterday along main st in vancouver every single fucking restaurant patio was PACKED

The patios in Ontario are not packed but our one neat trick was to put our ICUs on the verge of full triage, so I do not think I advise this course of action

(Doctors think we may now narrowly avoid the choose-who-lives-or-dies-triage, thank God, but we've been in the cancel-non-emergent-surgeries-and-fuck-over-people-who-need-urgent-care triage for a minute)

Steam
  • Options
    breton-brawlerbreton-brawler Registered User regular
    edited May 2021

The patios in Ontario are not packed but our one neat trick was to put our ICUs on the verge of full triage, so I do not think I advise this course of action

(Doctors think we may now narrowly avoid the choose-who-lives-or-dies-triage, thank God, but we've been in the cancel-non-emergent-surgeries-and-fuck-over-people-who-need-urgent-care triage for a minute)

Are patios even allowed to be open? i thought for our extended lockdown everything was take out only.

breton-brawler on
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    We’re still seeing way too high daily cases, we’re approaching double our previous high active cases from last spring, but part of that is due to the sheer number of people showing up to get tested, our positive rate is still just under 1% and they’re having trouble processing tests as quickly as people are showing up for them

And happily, my own test finally came back (negative) so I can actually get some dang groceries

• Options

Are patios even allowed to be open? i thought for our extended lockdown everything was take out only.

Yeah sorry that's the bit I was going for here, our patios are all closed down

Steam
  • Options

patios are packed here in Calgary, it's literally insane

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »
    patios are packed here in Calgary, it's literally insane

At the moment Alberta is the worst hotspot in all of Northern America:

ftanuhofqlqi.jpg

• Options
    Yellowknife has it's first confirmed outbreak. The health authority is moving quickly to contain it, and people up here have been mostly co-operative the past year. Our vaccine rollout has been pretty good, too, so here's hoping it stays small.

Our medical capacity could be overwhelmed basically immediately.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    local clinic was taking walkins so i got needled

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    local clinic was taking walkins so i got needled

i sure hope you don't live in BC because that would be incredibly aggravating. All bullshit popups and walkins are supposed to have been stopped.

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    I don't believe they are but frankly, better the doses go into arms than wait on the shelves

Steam
  • Options
    I live in BC. Pop-up clinics are for high-transmission communities, when it can happen, when the vaccines would otherwise go to waste. There is no official stoppage.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Okay, so, a new KFC in Yellowknife is doing a grand opening tomorrow. Why is that significant?
    A glimpse into the culture here: Why the return of Yellowknife's KFC is a really big deal: scientists

(That's an actual for real CBC headline)

But as of a few days ago, Yellowknife has it's first COVID outbreak.

If the KFC had opened two weeks ago, probably no worries. Maybe a few weeks from now, probably no worries.

But now? God Damn it. This is not the time for a crowd to be gathering.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    I live in BC. Pop-up clinics are for high-transmission communities, when it can happen, when the vaccines would otherwise go to waste. There is no official stoppage.

cool, it sure is good that they are checking addresses of people in high-transmission hot spots to make sure that the doses are going to those who live there.

oh wait, they aren't doing that? instead people are driving 3 hours and camping overnight to get them and getting around the provincial mandated reservation system they've been pushing for months and taking vaccines out of hot spots they are supposed to be helping?

huh, well that doesn't sound good at all!

edit - for funsies: https://www.thebeaverton.com/2021/04/bc-apologizes-for-poor-communication-says-next-pop-up-vaccine-clinic-can-be-found-when-moon-and-sun-intertwine-where-waters-meet-mountains-spine/

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    I will be sure to pass your concerns on to the lineless clinic I went to that was telling me to contact who I could because no one was coming

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    I will be sure to pass your concerns on to the lineless clinic I went to that was telling me to contact who I could because no one was coming
    cool, the government should contact everybody in the province who has registered for a vaccine through the program they told everybody to use so that we could all get vaccines when they were available!

instead if you happen to be on reddit at just the right time you might notice something like this 6 hours ago https://www.reddit.com/r/vancouver/comments/n3hsxm/guildford_community_centre_covid_site_lead_lots/
    at first this was just walkins for the local area, than it expanded to walkins from anywhere! Cool, would sure be neat if the government got this information out somehow instead of just through twitter from some random dude!

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Yes, it would be nice if it was more organized. Thank you for yelling at me.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    cool, the government should contact everybody in the province who has registered for a vaccine through the program they told everybody to use so that we could all get vaccines when they were available!

instead if you happen to be on reddit at just the right time you might notice something like this 6 hours ago https://www.reddit.com/r/vancouver/comments/n3hsxm/guildford_community_centre_covid_site_lead_lots/
    at first this was just walkins for the local area, than it expanded to walkins from anywhere! Cool, would sure be neat if the government got this information out somehow instead of just through twitter from some random dude!

Why on earth are you getting all aggro at someone for getting a vaccine when you yourself think the problem is with how the government has handled the issue?

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options

Huh, I thought you were in MB for some reason! Anyway, congrats on the shot, hopefully I'll get to join you in having much better 5G reception in a few weeks

Steam
  • Options
    4 more days until I get to furiously F5 the appointment website until it lets me through so I can take my appointment.

sig.gif
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2021
    Shit I thought this was the quarantimes thread not the Canada thread sorry Canada I hope you are able to get vaccines soon it sounds like some bullshit up there.

rhylith on
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Stilts wrote: »

Why on earth are you getting all aggro at someone for getting a vaccine when you yourself think the problem is with how the government has handled the issue?

I'm glad somebody got the vaccine, I just think it's bullshit to defend it. BC has completed fucked this up SO BAD, especially when Dix said this shit was stopping and it clearly hasn't.

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular

I'm glad somebody got the vaccine, I just think it's bullshit to defend it. BC has completed fucked this up SO BAD, especially when Dix said this shit was stopping and it clearly hasn't.

Then why are you pushing your anger at the province's handling of things onto a forumer?? I totally get your frustration but that's wildly inappropriate.

• Options
    Usagi wrote: »

Then why are you pushing your anger at the province's handling of things onto a forumer?? I totally get your frustration but that's wildly inappropriate.

Like, bioethicists have said you take the shot when you are offered the shot

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/21/opinion/covid-vaccine-ethics.html

There is zero reason to spend several posts antagonizing a poster for doing the right thing?? Call your MPP/MLA instead of airing your grievances at someone who just did their civic duty??

Steam