Options

[Canada] is also staying home and washing their hands

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I was trying to think if anything he got up to in that song is particularly egregious for a 9-year-old. Took me a while to remember that one of his 'friends from school' got married in the second stanza.
    Things really were different back then.

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Boy, Bryan Adams, huh?

The Conservatives are really gunning for that youth vote.

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Did anyone watch the debate tonight

What did I miss

Is democracy over??

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Yes, fashion a spear while you still have time

Broke as fuck and the bills past due, all amounts assist and are kindly received.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Cello wrote: »
    Did anyone watch the debate tonight

What did I miss

Is democracy over??

Singh did well, Scheer did not meet expectations, Trudeau wasn't there. At least according to after-action reports.

Elaro on
    Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

I suppose it would be too much to expect Doug Ford to at least be a competent drug dealer...

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    I have no doubt that they botched the whole cannabis store process, and were too slow and unprepared for the whole thing. However; a lot of what I consider to be "reasonable" points of view have pointed out that there are a lot of capital costs front loaded with starting up an operation like that and it would not be unusual to lose money in the first year.

They probably lost more money than they should have and provided a shittier service than citizens of Ontario deserve.... and also the conservatives pulled a 180 on Ontario's cannabis store strategy (government run stores only vs. privatized stores).....

Ontario should start making money off the thing before long though.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »
    I have no doubt that they botched the whole cannabis store process, and were too slow and unprepared for the whole thing. However; a lot of what I consider to be "reasonable" points of view have pointed out that there are a lot of capital costs front loaded with starting up an operation like that and it would not be unusual to lose money in the first year.

They probably lost more money than they should have and provided a shittier service than citizens of Ontario deserve.... and also the conservatives pulled a 180 on Ontario's cannabis store strategy (government run stores only vs. privatized stores).....

Ontario should start making money off the thing before long though.

Pardon my ignorance as an immigrant, but

Doesn't Ontario already have infrastructure for selling controlled substances? Isn't that what the LCBO is?

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    Yeah, but they didn't want to use existing LCBO locations because they don't want to sell alcohol and cannabis in the same locations. I can see their point, not sure I agree, but I can see their point.

The Ontario Cannabis Store (OCS) is in fact a subsidiary of the LCBO. Note that OCS doesn't operate physical stores - online sales only. I think private storefronts that are coming out have to buy their product from OCS.

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Is it just me, or does Scheer look like a Our Compliments version of Brand Name Harper? Everytime I see him on TV, I have to do a double take to make sure it's not the former PM. Maybe I'm just bad at facial recognition.

• Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    Is it just me, or does Scheer look like a Our Compliments version of Brand Name Harper? Everytime I see him on TV, I have to do a double take to make sure it's not the former PM. Maybe I'm just bad at facial recognition.

He looks like the most whitebread, non-threatening charisma vacuum that ever was, yes.

Which is both good because it's hard to like a guy like that, but also bad because he's actually very dangerous.

sig.gif
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    9a27w419qum31.jpg

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    issuing correction on a previous post of mine, regarding Andrew Scheer. you do not, under any circumstances, "gotta love him"

• Options
    Oh, good news for democracy today, by which I mean, terrible news

The Debates Commission invited Bernier to participate in the Leadership debates

And as a side, Ezra Levant got to have a column in the Globe and Mail about freedom of speech, in case anyone here still had a subscription to it, in which case, why

Steam
  • Options
    urrrrgggghhhhhhllllbbbbblllluuururrruuggghhhh *vomits my whole weekend due to politics and not the weekend itself*

sig.gif
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    pathetic

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Oh I forgot to mention the Conservatives made up allegations that Trudeau and Goldy met for drinks

Which

Yeah, okay Andrew, I'm sure you'll fool a lot of us on that one

Steam
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    bernier deserves to be trapped in an ice concentration camp for the duration of a decade

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    It's this weird thing where it'll keep getting repeated until it becomes the truth, but anyone who's convinced by it will have already been on the Fuck Trudeau train and not gonna vote for him to begin with anyway.

sig.gif
  • Options
    bernier deserves to be trapped in an ice concentration camp for the duration of a decade

I read this as a concentration camp made out of ice, which, yeah

sig.gif
  • Options
    SimBen wrote: »

I read this as a concentration camp made out of ice, which, yeah

Yeah, I misread it as a concentration of ice, which, if he could just hang out in an iceberg for a while then it'd be a good option I think

Steam
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    I'm still mad at Trudeau for failing to deliver on promises from the previous campaign, but I will probably vote for the cohorts of that mayonnaise-on-white-bread sandwich, that unsalted cheese curd, that plate of unseasoned mashed potatoes specifically because I'm scared of the alternatives

When did the two major right-wing parties merge, again?

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Wyborn wrote: »
    I'm still mad at Trudeau for failing to deliver on promises from the previous campaign, but I will definitely vote for that mayonnaise on white bread sandwich, that unsalted cheese curd, that plate of unseasoned mashed potatoes specifically because I'm scared of the alternatives

The Canadian Alliance and the Progressive Conservatives merged into the modern-day Conservative party in 2003

• Options
    I'm still mad at Trudeau for failing to deliver on promises from the previous campaign, but I will definitely vote for that mayonnaise on white bread sandwich, that unsalted cheese curd, that plate of unseasoned mashed potatoes specifically because I'm scared of the alternatives

I know a scary lot of people who definitely took the first whiff of anti-Trudeau sentiment and ran with it in a really suspicious "I've been a right-wing dipshit this whole time and now I have a good excuse for it" direction.

sig.gif
  • Options
    2003. God. That's not that long ago. THat's not that long ago at all.

I hope that the Conservative candidate doesn't lead in my riding, that'd be swell. I'd like to be able to vote my conscience while also voting strategically

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    I'm still mad at Trudeau for failing to deliver on promises from the previous campaign, but I will probably vote for the cohorts of that mayonnaise-on-white-bread sandwich, that unsalted cheese curd, that plate of unseasoned mashed potatoes specifically because I'm scared of the alternatives

Does the NDP not run in your riding?

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Elaro wrote: »

Does the NDP not run in your riding?

They do, and I'd rather vote NDP, but my riding also has a strong tendency to lean Conservative so if the wind is blowing in that direction I'll vote Liberal—hence the "probably"

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    God I was sure my riding was safe NDP but it's apparently neck-and-neck with the Liberals.

Still early in the campaign but at least I'm glad both right-wing parties are dead last (well, the Bloc, a secret right-wing party, is third but it's a mostly comfortable third).

sig.gif
  • Options
    2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens CanadaRegistered User regular
    I watched the debate and I’m honestly terrified about Scheer. Singh and May said all the right things (well, mostly) to point out how obviously terrible he is, but he was effective at seeming “reasonable” and fiscally responsible, which I can absolutely see people buying into. His line about all our money going to pay interest to bankers so we have to tighten our belts before we can responsibly invest in social programs is going to convince a lot of people. I don’t think a lot of the blows against him will have much of an effect on people who want to hear what he’s saying.

The man is dangerous. Austerity cuts are going to be fucking brutal.

Singh and May both did well, and I can see Singh working for a fairly broad base, but I really doubt it’s enough. He’s not going to be able to motivate for a more left crowd the way that Sanders/Corbin/AOC can, and I think a lot of centrists are ultimately going to stand by Trudeau.

Not a good looking situation to me.

• Options
    My concience is either dead and mouldering in a tomb or more alive than its ever been in any event I would vote for Lord Satan to keep the PCs out

Broke as fuck and the bills past due, all amounts assist and are kindly received.

• Options
    edited September 2019
    I just looked at the polls (which, again, it's early) and it's looking like the Liberals will retain a majority so far

but of course everything will change.
    My concience is either dead and mouldering in a tomb or more alive than its ever been in any event I would vote for Lord Satan to keep the PCs out

You're literally talking about Maxime Bernier here and DOOOON'T.

Unless you're in his riding, in which case, vote for Maxime Bernier, specifically the one from the Rhinoceros Party.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Oh DONT vote for Maxime Bernier, wow that would have been embarrassing

• Options
    Alternate post please do not besmirch Lord Satan like that

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    Conservatives trying to capitalize on the SNC Lavalin scandal gives me near fatal eye rolls, as if they wouldn't sell out the whole country for a corporation in a heartbeat

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    Yeah it's sad grasping shit like this:

the constant bad faith arguments that attempt to conflate actual harassment with ... a picture of Trudeau smiling and leaning close to someone in a public place?

like in your attempts to score the cheapest and most desperate of political points, you're harming actual women who need to complain about actual harassment

I'd love the Conservative party give a fuck about women and minorities when it wasnt motivated by spiteful political gain

• Options
    Linda Frum's party is literally trying to ban abortion right now.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    Gotta love that in their fake wokeness they're denying her her own agency in things like personal space

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
  • Options
    oh good lord

• Options
    Wake me up when Election Season ends

Steam