As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Warhammer - Age of Sigmar] The New Fantasy

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    I wonder if we'll see any Warcry during this week, it has been a little while since there was anything on that front, I assumed the DoK warband was heralding the start of a 'season 2' with a focus on order rather than chaos, but so far they seem like a one-off.

• Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    WarhammerOfficial's instagram account posted a "cave painting" style image of Kragnos.

What's interesting is that it looks like there's a Coatl on it.

4k0tj2f5haoz.jpg

(Especially note the tail.)

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    That's really teasing more interesting monsters. Coatls are cool. And dragons are just an all-time classic.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Kragnos lore mentions the Seraphon/Slaan messing with him, could be teasing ancient Seraphon creatures we haven't seen yet. Seraphon could use some feathered dinos.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    The head looks very similar to the Stardrake to me, along with the twin tails I assumed that was what was being references.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    Kragnos lore mentions the Seraphon/Slaan messing with him, could be teasing ancient Seraphon creatures we haven't seen yet. Seraphon could use some feathered dinos.

He literally means Lord Kroak and his other Slann buddies. You can see the silhouette of his death mask in that segment. Please remember that AoS is actually Warhammer Fantasy Battles 40,000, as in multiple tens of millennia after the destruction of the Old World so they have a lot of time to stuff random ancient battles into without overlapping too much.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Golden Yak wrote: »

He literally means Lord Kroak and his other Slann buddies. You can see the silhouette of his death mask in that segment. Please remember that AoS is actually Warhammer Fantasy Battles 40,000, as in multiple tens of millennia after the destruction of the Old World so they have a lot of time to stuff random ancient battles into without overlapping too much.

I hadn't forgotten.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    As a side there is someone who posted a salty take on the Warhammer end times Khaine book sighting some of the glaring problems with it
    As it is kind of a venn diagram from my brother's rants about his elves of old and what was said in the video about the book. I remember his rants about playing Warhammer online and seeing the dwarf quest giver and how he ranted for days the dwarf would have been drowned before he set one foot on Ulthuan because of the sea guard let alone the various other units patroling
    I am rather curious when they reboot warhammer {as it is one of the three things they may talk about this Sat.} will they just leave it as it was before the end times?

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited May 2021
    Honestly the end times stuff was so bad, it's no wonder they had a ton of bad blood going into Age of Sigmar. It made me so angry I never even looked at AoS because of it - only when I needed to learn how to play it because a customer wanted to buy AoS did I start getting into it.

Seriously, all you would have to do is write out the contrived "Chaos forces are getting their complete shit wrecked, but then THIS ONE THING HAPPENED AND SUDDENLY THEY WON!!!!111" bullshit out. Like Thanquol turning up in Nuln with one screaming bell and the defenders, who are ripping the entire Skaven army apart with cannons and handgunners just suddenly giving up for no reason at all. Or any of the other million incredibly contrived circumstances in which chaos forces prevail despite having absolutely no way of winning.

It's seriously some incredibly shitty writing.

Edit: At least the Skaven got to drop the moon on Lustria though. Possibly inspired by RL Salvatore dropping a moon on Chewbacca.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Khaine was the worst book in the End Times. Huge retcons for all the elves' history with a well, actually, Malekith was right and he isn't all that bad, and all the other phoenix kings were pretenders. Also really sloppily edited with a bunch of continuity errors to the earlier books as far as I remember.

• Options
    honovere wrote: »
    Khaine was the worst book in the End Times. Huge retcons for all the elves' history with a well, actually, Malekith was right and he isn't all that bad, and all the other phoenix kings were pretenders. Also really sloppily edited with a bunch of continuity errors to the earlier books as far as I remember.

Oh I'm not denying that at all, instead just accept that I'm trying not to think about that or I'll need to be in the angry dome for the rest of the evening.

• Options
    edited May 2021
    Sorry, I didn't see your post before posting mine.

The first book, Nagash, was pretty enjoyable, though. Even if my boy Eltharion got done dirty.

honovere on
  • Options

The first book, Nagash, was pretty enjoyable, though. Even if my boy Eltharion got done dirty.

It's okay because (spoiler for Broken Realms: Teclis)
    He gets to smack Arkhan the Black Around and kill him right proper forever dead

• Options
    One thing i kinda hate/love coming out of th End Times is what a huge fuckup Teclis is. Always setting his goals way to high, thinking he'S the best of the best, schemer extraordinaire and then ooops, that didn't work out.

We haven't seen much of Tyrion and Malerion yet, but I bet that Allarielle is the only one that didn't make a new race of "aelves" completely made up of assholes.

• Options
    edited May 2021
    I'm pretty sure that Teclis has done something awful and will have hugely unintended consequences. Allarielle seems convinced of that and I wonder if it ties into Kragnos.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    Aegeri wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that Teclis has done something awful and will have hugely unintended consequences. Allarielle seems convinced of that and I wonder if it ties into Kragnos.

That's Teclis alright

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular

That's Teclis alright

So he's the Cercei Lannister of Warhammer (with hopefully less incest)?

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    He's not selfish like Cersei. He's mostly well intentioned working toward the greater good (the greater good). It's more that he's the god of Hybris. And a lot of " I'll burn that bridge when I'll get to it".

(The incest stuff was probably more around Caledor II, who must've probably have married his mother)

Speaking of the Caledor Dragontamer bloodline: Whatever happened to Imrik? In the End Times he went to Athel Loren but then I think his plotline was just dropped? Him being possibly in a Lileath/Bretonnia faction would be another plus for getting those guys back into AoS.

honovere on
  • Options
    Yeah, his first elves are 90% soulless husks that raid the ‘civilised’ lands to steal replacement souls, his “perfect” elves have to huff rock dust to avoid the Eldar problem and they’re still genocidal dicks… I can’t wait to see what side effect stopping the necroquake has… maybe everyone will stop dying properly?

• Options
    I am still curious what Malekith/Malerion or whatever he calls himself. What he did with his share of the elf souls they pumped from Slaanesh's stomach
    As in the previous DoK book it was said he made monsters from them in the first realm lords book he uses shadow demons. What souls did he call dibs on?

• Options
    edited May 2021
    Yeah, his first elves are 90% soulless husks that raid the ‘civilised’ lands to steal replacement souls, his “perfect” elves have to huff rock dust to avoid the Eldar problem and they’re still genocidal dicks… I can’t wait to see what side effect stopping the necroquake has… maybe everyone will stop dying properly?

Meanwhile Alarielle's revenants seem pretty fine outside the spite-revenants who mostly seem to be traumatised by the constant war defending the realm of life? The revenant range could use a few more entries though. It's only the tree revenants, spite revenants, arch revenant, and the new warsong revenant at the moment.

honovere on
  • Options

Meanwhile Alarielle's revenants seem pretty fine outside the spite-revenants who mostly seem to be traumatised by the constant war defending the realm of life? The revenant range could use a few more entries though. It's only the tree revenants, spite revenants, arch revenant, and the new warsong revenant at the moment.

I’m not super surprised by that; Alarielle has all the power and knowledge of Lileath who was the elf goddess of prophecy so she could probably foresee when she was about to make a mistake with incarnating them, never mind being the godhead of the Realm of Life and therefore inherently suited to creating new life in her own right.

• Options
    Isn't she Isha and Ghyran, not Lileath? Lileath gave her powers to her daughter she had with Araloth.

• Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Malekith reuniting all the Elves was cool as hell imo

disclaimer i am very pro-dark elf and very anti-high elf

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular

It's okay because (spoiler for Broken Realms: Teclis)
    He gets to smack Arkhan the Black Around and kill him right proper forever dead

Re: Spoiler
    Except probably not forever

• Options
    edited May 2021
    Dayspring wrote: »
    Malekith reuniting all the Elves was cool as hell imo

disclaimer i am very pro-dark elf and very anti-high elf

What about the wood elves? They weren't exactly happy, too, having the war criminal running around as their "king" in Athel Loren.

Wait. Are malektih and morathi warhammer's Zuko and Azula?

honovere on
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    I didn't watch Avatar, but I was under the impression Azula was Zuko's cruel little sister, and their abusive father was the series main villain? Morathi is Malekith's mom, and weren't they implied to have an incestuous relationship? Also, Malekith's dad was Aenarion, who's portrayed as a flawed but nevertheless great hero, IIRC. So, not seeing a whole lot of similarities.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2021
    i don't actually play these games but i love looking at GWs new models. The reaction to Kragnos made me realize how insanely good the Age of Sigmar range has gotten. Insane ultra magic age of myth fantasy in a completely undefined world has let the developers really let the creativity run wild, and everything since the Gloomspite Gitz or the Ossiarch (i don't remember which came first) has been absolutely amazing for me. Kragnos being 'pretty good' and not really exciting anyone shows me how hot a streak they've been on. I think making him not linked to the key destruction races was a mistake tho.

I'm also not really interested in the Warhammer 40k range anymore because there really hasn't been a lot of room for the designers to flex their creativity. The design of each of the races has become too constraining, and I'd much rather see what insane shit the designers can come up with for AoS.

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    It may be that Kragnos is able to be taken by *any* destruction faction, which is why he probably doesn't have a solid tie to any of them.

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    They should lean into Kragnos being a unique stand-alone demigod and give him a couple single hero units from races/beings where Kragnos destroyed or defeated their founding God, so a couple swapped their allegiance to him.

Could add some really fun and unique units without needing to build an entire range around them.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    Kragnos is more like destruction's Nagash for now, I guess. One god for the whole faction. Unlike order, where the different armies/races have their own god's or avatars.

The difference between Nagash and Kragnos is that the former's design really fits with his faction while the latter looks like a Beasts of Chaos model instead of having anything that ties him to destruction.

• Options
    It may be that Kragnos is able to be taken by *any* destruction faction, which is why he probably doesn't have a solid tie to any of them.

They confirmed he can be taken in any Destruction keyworded force. But for me the aesthetic mismatch is too much to include him with my ogors.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    To me it’s less that Kragnos looks more Beasts of Chaos than Destruction, but more that in the context of the Mortal Realms the Beastman line looks like it should be Destruction rather than Chaos. Set aside the Tzangor and they just look like natural inhabitants of Ghur rather than a corrupted race.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    That would also be a way to solve that problem. Big retcon though. But kick out the Tzeentch stuff and the chaos spawn and explain stuff lige the gorgon and jabberslythe with the some sort of corruption of Ghur and it would work (like the spite revenants of the Sylvaneth or the destroyer cult of the necrons in 40k). Looking at the models I can't really see many or even any molded on chaos icons on them anyway.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    It could be a situation like the Fimir, where over time the Chaos Gods turned away from the Beasts to focus on other forces, and the Beasts subsequently turned to new gods.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    I hope we get the reveal of the idoneth fish for underworlds today

• Options
    edited May 2021
    I hope we get the reveal of the idoneth fish for underworlds today

And probably that crab/lobster claw and maybe that flute
    6a3e3ajctdqp.png

kb0klaco57gr.png

Brainleech on
  • Options
    Oh that idoneth warband is fantastic!

• Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    I didn't quite catch the name of the crab, it was Mr. Snips, right?

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
This discussion has been closed.