As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dem Primary: There Are Too Many Candidates Nowadays, Please Eliminate Twenty

• Options
    chokemchokem Registered User regular
    Biden can’t drop out, he needs to run and beat Trump, that’s the first priority. Whoever he picks as VP will be important, that will be the real agent of change. Biden would probably expire while in office, wouldn’t be a bad way for him to go really. Probably wouldn’t take long either.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    I distinctly remember being surprised/ upset by biden talking about buying in after you are unemployed. I missed the auto enrollment if you can't afford it thing, so I was onboard with the attacks.

Personally I'd like to be able to buy into Medicare because I'm self-employed and right now I have to buy healthcare through the exchanges, and the options are both bad and expensive.

• Options
    chokem wrote: »
    Biden can’t drop out, he needs to run and beat Trump, that’s the first priority. Whoever he picks as VP will be important, that will be the real agent of change. Biden would probably expire while in office, wouldn’t be a bad way for him to go really. Probably wouldn’t take long either.

That's not the way aging works right now. Most people go into a long decline, especially if they have great healthcare available.

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Dee Kae wrote: »
    Record player? Oh Biden is a bit dated, isn't he?

Oddly enough no. Record albums have outsold CD's for the first time since the 80s. Streaming is still most popular but albums are making a strong comeback.

• Options
    YamiB.YamiB. Registered User regular
    kaid wrote: »

Oddly enough no. Record albums have outsold CD's for the first time since the 80s. Streaming is still most popular but albums are making a strong comeback.

Seems at least if you're using an outdated physical medium records are better than cds. At least that's how I justify my late night drunk purchase of a record player.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    YamiB. wrote: »
    kaid wrote: »

Seems at least if you're using an outdated physical medium records are better than cds. At least that's how I justify my late night drunk purchase of a record player.

Probably not for small infants though. If you're going to use technology to pretend your infant is surrounded by active and engaged parents I wouldn't pick the ones that handle physical disruption poorly.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    PhasenPhasen Hell WorldRegistered User regular
    If someone said CD's on that stage then I would think they were completely out of the stone age at this point as well. It works with Biden's demo I suppose.

psn: PhasenWeeple
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular

How is Biden supposed to beat Trump? What does he got other than not being Trump, a trait that all other Dem candidates also share?

• Options
    reVerse wrote: »

How is Biden supposed to beat Trump? What does he got other than not being Trump, a trait that all other Dem candidates also share?

He's a little bit racist!

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »

White male centrist.

Which I don't think actually helps outside the white male part.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    I'm not even convinced the white male part helps that much. Trump will use racism and sexism against the eventual nominee regardless if who they are, and it's not clear that being white or male lets you contact that in any meaningful way.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Edit: Nm this is way off track

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Remember, the record player comment was him pivoting away from accidentally saying parents should plunk their kids in front of televisions.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    Remember, the record player comment was him pivoting away from accidentally saying parents should plunk their kids in front of televisions.

Because television is bad for children's development but music is good for children's development.

• Options
    YamiB.YamiB. Registered User regular
    Honestly the more damning part of the statement to me is that black families should have social workers sent to their homes to teach them how to raise their kids.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I find it hard to imagine anyone, even those without pre-existing enmity towards Biden, seeing that performance and saying "yes, this man should be the candidate to run against a notorious annihilator of weak debate performers". With the best will in the world, it's time for him to retire and take his rest.

• Options
    Going through Castro and Biden from the transcript, god reading Biden is painful.
    Biden: BIDEN: Okay, number one, my health care plan does significantly cut the costs of — the largest out-of-pocket payment you’ll pay is $1,000. You’ll be able to get into a — anyone who can’t afford it gets automatically enrolled in the Medicare-type option we have, et cetera.

<goes into cost>

<discussion between other candidates>

Biden:Fifteen seconds. Look, everybody says we want an option. The option I'm proposing is Medicare-for-all — Medicare for choice. If you want Medicare, if you lose the job from your insurance — from your employer, you automatically can buy into this. You don't have — no pre-existing condition can stop you from buying in. You get covered, period.

And if you notice, nobody's yet said how much it's going to cost the taxpayer. I hear this large savings, the president thinks — my friend from Vermont thinks that the employer's going to give you back if you negotiated as a union all these years, got a cut in wages because you got insurance. They're going to give back that money to the employee?

<Bernie on double cost verse all>

CASTRO: Thank you. And, you know, I also want to recognize the work that Bernie has done on this. And, of course, we owe a debt of gratitude to President Barack Obama. Of course, I also worked for President Obama, Vice President Biden, and I know that the problem with your plan is that it leaves 10 million people uncovered.

Now, on the last debate stage in Detroit, you said that wasn’t true, when Senator Harris brought that up. There was a fact check of that, and they said that was true.

You know, I grew up with a grandmother who had type 2 diabetes, and I watched her condition get worse and worse. But that whole time, she had Medicare. I want every single American family to have a strong Medicare plan available.

If they choose to hold on to strong, solid private health insurance, I believe they should be able to do. But the difference between what I support and what you support, Vice President Biden, is that you require them to opt in and I would not require them to opt in. They would automatically be enrolled. They wouldn't have a buy in.

That's a big difference, because Barack Obama's vision was not to leave 10 million people uncovered. He wanted every single person in this country covered. My plan would do that. Your plan would not.

So I can see how if you go back with the auto-enroll he can push back. But that second answer I put in from Biden is woof. Yeah reading Biden makes what he says really really bad.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    The media loves a false equivalence. And frankly Biden's gaffes are perfect fodder to excuse Trumps constant verbal diarrhea.

I personally don't think one is nearly as bad as the other but i can see the framing coming already

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular

"Elect me and I'll be Harrison Mk2" is not the best response.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Trump can't debate, but he stood against famously good debaters like Ted Cruz (he's good at something, I guess) and kicked the shit out of them just by being loud and pouncing on weakness. He can be made a fool of by a debater capable of standing their ground and embarrassing him right back, but it's hard to see Joe Biden's continuing "confused man" performances as anything but blood in the water.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    The media loves a false equivalence. And frankly Biden's gaffes are perfect fodder to excuse Trumps constant verbal diarrhea.

I personally don't think one is nearly as bad as the other but i can see the framing coming already

Biden is comically bad at campaigning, constantly puts his foot in his mouth, has a history of fucking over the little guy, is further to the right than almost any other viable candidate, and is super fucking old and borderline senile.

I really, really, really don’t get why he’s the guy. Being besties with Obama should not buy this much goodwill.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Iowa is going to be even more important than usual. Biden has a lousy history campaigning there and if he can't carry a blue-collar white state his frontrunner status will evaporate overnight.

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Reading the transcript, I genuinely thought Biden mentioning the record player was a reasonably good joke.

That it wasn’t made me uncomfortable.

Edit: Also send social workers to poor, implicitly black families so they know to turn on the TV? Christ. You started strong with supporting social workers, ignoring the context, but oooooof.

OneAngryPossum on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    It kind of flew under the radar but Biden’s response to the deportations question was flabbergasting. This was asked at an earlier debate and he still didn’t have a good answer to it with all that time to prep for it coming up again. It feels like Joe assumed that proximity to President Obama was good enough and everybody else should fuck off and let him have this.

• Options

Biden is comically bad at campaigning, constantly puts his foot in his mouth, has a history of fucking over the little guy, is further to the right than almost any other viable candidate, and is super fucking old and borderline senile.

I really, really, really don’t get why he’s the guy. Being besties with Obama should not buy this much goodwill.

Name recognition is important, most people don't pay much attention this early. Or at all til like October next year.

• Options
    It kind of flew under the radar but Biden’s response to the deportations question was flabbergasting. This was asked at an earlier debate and he still didn’t have a good answer to it with all that time to prep for it coming up again. It feels like Joe assumed that proximity to President Obama was good enough and everybody else should fuck off and let him have this.

Castro undercut the "Obama's admin" argument on this because he was also there. It is one of his greatest strengths when going after Biden.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    I may be wrong about how this plays because I am apparently terrible at understanding what the general public wants in a candidate, but I wish people were more comfortable saying, “We didn’t do enough, and we’re going to do more.”

Just. Acknowledge the opportunity for growth and kill the argument dead.

Edit: I also was really hoping Castro would rip up his note cards before his stunt. Let’s just hit the tropes, people.

OneAngryPossum on
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Was uh

Was Biden talking about the extremely racist Word Gap idea that black kids are just stupider than white kids because they don't hear as many words?

Cuz it kind of sounded like that

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Was uh

Was Biden talking about the extremely racist Word Gap idea that black kids are just stupider than white kids because they don't hear as many words?

He was, and I kind of think the real implications of that study (if the data are reliable in any way) is that poorer families just spend more time working and away from their kids. Turning on the radio doesn’t give parents more time to be parents.

Edit: Actually, even that’s a tremendous oversimplification. Low income has a lot of implications beyond just word input.

I do think there’s value to pumping a babies head full of verbal stimuli, but the conclusion seems like a real attempt to sweep reality under the rug.

OneAngryPossum on
  • Options
    Was uh

He was, and I kind of think the real implications of that study (if the data are reliable in any way) is that poorer families just spend more time working and away from their kids. Turning on the radio doesn’t give parents more time to be parents.

The study itself is not reliable. Modern version of doing it find that it misjudged the gap by a factor of ten. Their methods were awful and intrusive, and that's not even getting into their efforts to make it causation when it comes to the education gap.

But the fact that poorer parents are not given as much freedom to interact with their children is something that is held up by other studies.

So basically, when Biden was asked about racial inequality, he said "I am an old racist white guy"

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    I just want to be clear: any of these candidates are going to get torn to shreds by Trump in a debate (and not with facts). Fortunately, debates don’t matter as much as you think they do.

Biden is a demographics play, and it’s a smart play to make if your priority is winning the White House. This will be a technical election, not one based on fundamentals. You do not want people to ask themselves “Bah, we survived 4 years of Trump already, who cares if we have another 4?”

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Was uh

The study itself is not reliable. Modern version of doing it find that it misjudged the gap by a factor of ten. Their methods were awful and intrusive, and that's not even getting into their efforts to make it causation when it comes to the education gap.

But the fact that poorer parents are not given as much freedom to interact with their children is something that is held up by other studies.

So basically, when Biden was asked about racial inequality, he said "I am an old racist white guy"

More likely it's just "I haven't paid attention to new information on this issue in 20 years".

• Options
    I just want to be clear: any of these candidates are going to get torn to shreds by Trump in a debate (and not with facts). Fortunately, debates don’t matter as much as you think they do.

Biden is a demographics play, and it’s a smart play to make if your priority is winning the White House. This will be a technical election, not one based on fundamentals. You do not want people to ask themselves “Bah, we survived 4 years of Trump already, who cares if we have another 4?”

Biden creates exactly that reaction in a lot of people. Granted his base is older and older people are more likely to vote, but they also slew more GOP so there's less to pick up.

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Biden is the most "Well at least he's not Trump" candidate in the top six.

And considering how well "At least he's not Bush" went, fuck that noise.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    There is a very cathartic op-ed (in contrast to the fawning coverage I see elsewhere, like from Cillizza) on Biden’s performance last night titled Joe Biden is a Doddering Old Mummy With a Skull Full of Dumpster Juice

It sounds like a mean title and, well, it is, but the point is made that this guy who is really bad on the issues, a little racist, a little misogynistic, and has no answer for how to accomplish his unfortunate plans except to work with the imaginary goodwill of the Republicans is also completely unprepared mentally both for being able to get the job and possibly the job itself.

I wish Joe had just never put himself through this.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

Biden creates exactly that reaction in a lot of people. Granted his base is older and older people are more likely to vote, but they also slew more GOP so there's less to pick up.

There’s a sizable portion of Americans who want change... but not too much. Things actually aren’t all that bad right now. If people had an option where they could keep the good parts and change out the bad they would take it. This won’t be a “burn it all down” type of election. Biden fits this description.

• Options
    Please let's move on and not engage with the idea that things aren't that bad right now

We all know what a disaster this is going to be and that we'll convince no one

liEt3nH.png
  • Options

There’s a sizable portion of Americans who want change... but not too much. Things actually aren’t all that bad right now. If people had an option where they could keep the good parts and change out the bad they would take it. This won’t be a “burn it all down” type of election. Biden fits this description.

Then can we have Buttigeig, Harris, Beto or Booker?

Quite moderate, but not 1 million years old.

• Options

Last night Buttigieg convinced me that he is a total snake, which is maybe not what you want to do at a primary debate

• Options

Beto couldn’t even beat Ted Cruz, Buttigeig is a hypocrite, Harris has no real plans, I don’t know about Booker but I’m sure someone does.

And poor name recognition all around.

This discussion has been closed.