As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dem Primary: There Are Too Many Candidates Nowadays, Please Eliminate Twenty

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    I've been familiar with Booker for a very long time and have no small amount of antipathy for him.

I've known of Mayor Pete for like five minutes and I'd fill the Senate and White House with clones of him before casting a primary vote for the dude.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    chokem wrote: »
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    I just want to be clear: any of these candidates are going to get torn to shreds by Trump in a debate (and not with facts). Fortunately, debates don’t matter as much as you think they do.

Biden is a demographics play, and it’s a smart play to make if your priority is winning the White House. This will be a technical election, not one based on fundamentals. You do not want people to ask themselves “Bah, we survived 4 years of Trump already, who cares if we have another 4?”

Biden creates exactly that reaction in a lot of people. Granted his base is older and older people are more likely to vote, but they also slew more GOP so there's less to pick up.

There’s a sizable portion of Americans who want change... but not too much. Things actually aren’t all that bad right now. If people had an option where they could keep the good parts and change out the bad they would take it. This won’t be a “burn it all down” type of election. Biden fits this description.

The bolded is very dependent on who you are.

Farmers have lost billions of dollars and are being killed by the tarrifs. Things have gotten measurably worse for them.

Manufacturing is contracting and things are getting worse for blue collar factory workers.

Those aged 25-35 are buying housing at a lower rate, making less, and have less opportunities than those before them in a measurable way.

Many communities hit by natural disasters in the last two years are still reeling due to lack of coordination from the feds, funding, and in general falling out of the eye of the adminstration. Things have gotten worse.

Immigration has shown us a country who is willing to put kids in camps, seperate families, and deport even detain American citizens "by accident" for months. Things have gotten worse.

Healthcare cost have increased greatly in the last 3 years across the board for most families. Things have gotten worse.

I can keep going.

What has been better is those at the top with a massive tax break, which again a lot of middle class folks got screwed by, and the markets doing really well.

Again this ignores the fact there is an okay chance that the economy goes into recession in the next 6-12 months. Which again is not getting better.

For the most part a lot of the population is tredding water or it has gotten worse. The key for Dems to show that is the fault of the adminstration and the Republicans. And Biden is very bad at doing that and he is bad showing how he will make it better. That is why he is not a great candidate.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Biden’s schtick is “the boat is fine, the direction Trump is pointing it is not”. Which is a way better way of articulating his own views than he did.

The boat’s not fine, though, and it’s depressing that our frontrunner in all his privilege thinks it is.

• Options
    Biden’s schtick is “the boat is fine, the direction Trump is pointing it is not”. Which is a way better way of articulating his own views than he did.

The boat’s not fine, though, and it’s depressing that our frontrunner in all his privilege thinks it is.

Everyone under the age of 40 has fifth class tickets and is about to drown in the hold because there's only a few small holes in the hull.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Was uh

Was Biden talking about the extremely racist Word Gap idea that black kids are just stupider than white kids because they don't hear as many words?

Cuz it kind of sounded like that

He was, and I kind of think the real implications of that study (if the data are reliable in any way) is that poorer families just spend more time working and away from their kids. Turning on the radio doesn’t give parents more time to be parents.

The study itself is not reliable. Modern version of doing it find that it misjudged the gap by a factor of ten. Their methods were awful and intrusive, and that's not even getting into their efforts to make it causation when it comes to the education gap.

But the fact that poorer parents are not given as much freedom to interact with their children is something that is held up by other studies.

So basically, when Biden was asked about racial inequality, he said "I am an old racist white guy"

I think what he said can be better described as "I don't know what I'm talking about and haven't done any real work on these subjects in 30 years"

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    "Only Biden can defeat Trump" is both defeatist and wrong. Name recognition? You know what shoots you up to the second most famous person in the country really quickly? Being a presidential nominee.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Looks like Beto's riffing on Warren's catchphrase to further his gun control plank:

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I wish Beto had come out like this from the beginning. It’s too late for him to take this but he earned a lot of goodwill from me for not playing the Republicans’ or the media’s game on gun control.

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    I wish Beto had come out like this from the beginning. It’s too late for him to take this but he earned a lot of goodwill from me for not playing the Republicans’ or the media’s game on gun control.

I suspect that doing so has obliterated any backup ambitions he might have had in Texas, so bonus points for that as well

• Options
    I feel like he’s gunning for VP at this point.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Give no fucks Beto has been refreshing. It's not going to win him the primary, but I wonder where he goes from here.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    I feel like he’s gunning for VP at this point.

Yeah, I feel like in this debate Beto edged out Castro for my preferred VP pick.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Give no fucks Beto has been refreshing. It's not going to win him the primary, but I wonder where he goes from here.

If he devotes his energy and career to banning assault rifles, that will be an excellent thing.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Please let's move on and not engage with the idea that things aren't that bad right now

We all know what a disaster this is going to be and that we'll convince no one

I think one should not underestimate the extent to which many voters are tired of Trump and just desiring a return to normalcy. And that, while completely dumb, the whole idea of "Let's just go back to all being friends again" appeals to them.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Please let's move on and not engage with the idea that things aren't that bad right now

I think one should not underestimate the extent to which many voters are tired of Trump and just desiring a return to normalcy. And that, while completely dumb, the whole idea of "Let's just go back to all being friends again" appeals to them.

So the question would become how to point out the flaws with "normalcy" that in part maybe led to Trump?

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    There is a very cathartic op-ed (in contrast to the fawning coverage I see elsewhere, like from Cillizza) on Biden’s performance last night titled Joe Biden is a Doddering Old Mummy With a Skull Full of Dumpster Juice

It sounds like a mean title and, well, it is, but the point is made that this guy who is really bad on the issues, a little racist, a little misogynistic, and has no answer for how to accomplish his unfortunate plans except to work with the imaginary goodwill of the Republicans is also completely unprepared mentally both for being able to get the job and possibly the job itself.

I wish Joe had just never put himself through this.

I knew that was a Gawker alumni before I even saw the hyperlink.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Beto isn't a great VP pick for most of the candidates though. He's too male for the men and too white for Warren or Klobuchar. He might make sense for Harris but Castro seems more obvious for her

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I doubt our eventual VP will be anyone who's currently running

• Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    I just want to be clear: any of these candidates are going to get torn to shreds by Trump in a debate (and not with facts). Fortunately, debates don’t matter as much as you think they do.

Biden is a demographics play, and it’s a smart play to make if your priority is winning the White House. This will be a technical election, not one based on fundamentals. You do not want people to ask themselves “Bah, we survived 4 years of Trump already, who cares if we have another 4?”

Biden creates exactly that reaction in a lot of people. Granted his base is older and older people are more likely to vote, but they also slew more GOP so there's less to pick up.

There’s a sizable portion of Americans who want change... but not too much. Things actually aren’t all that bad right now. If people had an option where they could keep the good parts and change out the bad they would take it. This won’t be a “burn it all down” type of election. Biden fits this description.

Things aren't that bad if you're not a kid in a cage I suppose. Or someone with a 401(k). Or someone who needs healthcare. Or...

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular

If he devotes his energy and career to banning assault rifles, that will be an excellent thing.

You cannot do that outside of government

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited September 2019

You cannot do that outside of government

A grassroots movement started by a mom has recently outspent the NRA on elections. The org has pressured and convinced corporations to restrict open carry in their stores, and had convinced a few to stop selling certain guns or ammo. There's lots to be done by people who aren't in government to lobby for change. He can keep going even if he's not elected.

So It Goes on
  • Options
    There are plenty of non-elected cabinet positions that need to be filled with capable politicians.

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    I think Biden’s appeal is that we’re still not over 2016 and learning all the wrong lessons from it

“Electability” for Biden isn’t so much about confidence he could beat Trump- it’s about how so many fewer people are afraid he would lose to Trump

gybs6wvwsbig.jpeg

There are 80% more respondents to this poll saying they are 100% certain Warren would lose than people saying they are 100% certain she would beat Trump.

Also Burneko is a good writer and if you don’t think so you can go to hell!

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    I'm very afraid Biden would lose to Trump. I think other people will be too when they see how decrepit he looks. They are probably going on their memory of spry and likable Biden from 10 years ago. A lot has happened since then. 10 years and a lot of misery for Biden in terms of his son's horrible death.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

So the question would become how to point out the flaws with "normalcy" that in part maybe led to Trump?

I'm not sure that's actually a direction you wanna go or that can be effective.

I think that while you should be pushing economically populist messaging and Trump has been bad for your job and all that, there's a limit to specifically like "Trump/Republicans delenda est" style ideas or "tear the system down" or the like. I think josh's statement above of “the boat is fine, the direction Trump is pointing it is not” is a good reflection of what many voters that could go many ways next year are thinking. Especially if you ad on "and Trump needs to stop tweeting".

• Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    For what it’s worth, the transcripts of Biden from last night aren’t any more incoherent than the stuff dribbling out of his shiny teeth hole 30 years ago. He’s always been this mush-mouthed and stream-of-consciously incomprehensible.

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    I'm very afraid Biden would lose to Trump. I think other people will be too when they see how decrepit he looks. They are probably going on their memory of spry and likable Biden from 10 years ago. A lot has happened since then. 10 years and a lot of misery for Biden in terms of his son's horrible death.

Why would Donald Trump win an ageism-off?

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Who attacked who during the debates last night from WashPo

agxtfxz0gqwh.png

I am not surprised nothing major from Warren. I think that is a strength to brush off an attack and turn it into a stump speech.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Paladin wrote: »

Well, he did last time!

• Options

Well, he did last time!

Wrong -ism.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Warren has nothing to be afraid of when being asked how she's going to pay for, well, everything:

Step 1: Tax the Rich like a first world country taxes their rich.

Done.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Mazzyx wrote: »

agxtfxz0gqwh.png

I am not surprised nothing major from Warren. I think that is a strength to brush off an attack and turn it into a stump speech.

An orange bar for Trump

Subtle

• Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    Watched it last night. Some observations:

I was impressed by Castro's style. Mostly, the debaters seem a little shout-y to me, but Castro seemed cool, confident, and collected, and like he had a very natural manner. He's still not a top pick or anything, but it was something I noticed.

Biden's television, radio, record player comment was absolutely bonkers.

• Options
    MrMister wrote: »

Democratic voters: "We want our own Trump!"
    Democratic party: "Well we have this guy who is kinda senile and insane, is that good enough?"

• Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »

agxtfxz0gqwh.png

An orange bar for Trump

Subtle

It's those damn lightbulbs.

• Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular

Democratic party: "Well we have this guy who is kinda senile and insane, is that good enough?"

He also has this extremely parody-begging tendency to use "the fact of the matter is" and "the second thing is" to suggest that he's providing a continuous line of thought but which he just peppers in randomly between sentences. Like... the second thing is? Second of what? Biden, you weren't doing a list...

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular

Well, he did last time!

If the general election devolves into candidates parading around physical exam paperwork again I swear I'll turn off all communication about anything remotely resembling politics until election day

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular

I don't recall ever wanting our own Trump.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular

I don't recall ever wanting our own Trump.

The correct proposition is "Democratic voters in the minds of idiotic pundits"

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Wait, ABC ran a commercial from some Republican of someone burning a picture of AOC followed by pictures of death during the debates? Was that just on broadcast? And ABC was cool with having that on their station? And then some Texas Republican threatened to kill Beto on Twitter after the debate?

Things seem dire :|

Stabbity_Style.png
This discussion has been closed.