As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Spirited [Anime]

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    how much do you need to internalize an alternate name before it becomes your real name for the purposes of a death note, if it's based on your own internal sense of self? did L just happen to not think of himself as "L" enough for the death note to not work on that alias? I don't actually even remember what his real name was.

L was a mantle, not a name to him. He was L, but L was not who he was.

if you go by a name exclusively for long enough, you can't help but internalize it as your real name subconsiously.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    like batman

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    L's Real Name Spoiler
    L is his first name. His real name is literally "L Lawliet" so just writing L wouldn't work any better than just writing Jim to kill the creator of Garfield.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    what if you could kill garfield with the death note

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular

He'd lie directly to God's face and claim he still had lives left and get sent back. He's done it before and he'd do it again.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

It doesn't work on shinigami

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    “(Garfield)*9”

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    I just went through the entire list of rules that they shoved into the tankobon releases thinking surely it was covered at some point but nah.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    august wrote: »

rad

my favorite is still when miura drew kenshiro and hara drew guts

• Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Kana wrote: »
    Beyond that let us not get bogged down in mere details. Either asking or providing.

Point of order, my offer* to provide forumers with Japan-exclusive items at cost still stands.

*Offer valid in US only. Procurement done as availability allows. Procurement not guaranteed. Offer extends to items for personal use only. Some exclusion apply. Please PM me for more details.

Edit: how do I change font size?

If anyone takes you up on this I hope it's for the Japan Kitkat flavors

Now is not a great time to send chocolate unfortunately: they would likely melt completely before I got home to wrap them up. Also, a lot of the more common alternate KitKat flavors are available in the states now at most Asian groceries. At least where I’ve lived in the past. That being said there are a ton of unique flavors that are done in limited prints like that Hokkaido one. I saw a box at Haneda airport yesterday for Baked Sweet Potato flavor, which in hindsight I should have bought since it was pretty cool outside.

The other problem though is that will get expensive quick: the 2-piece KitKats are wrapped individually, and then inside the box they’re tiered so that they display nicely but you’re only getting like 12 of them for like $10, and then my only option is USPS so that’s a min of $5 added on... So I don’t mind doing this once or twice for a special occasion of a limited run flavor, but just consider if the juice is worth the squeeze on it.

Don’t tell anyone in the Warhammer thread, but I’ve got a bit of a drug-deal going on with one of my friends who runs a US Warhammer store: there are Japanese timed-exclusive sculpts called Space Marine Heroes whose release lags in the states by 2-3 years. The new Death Guard set is coming out next month and this friend plays that faction, so he’s going to be able to show off for a bit, and in exchange he’s hooking me up with a store credit and some leftover marketing merch.

Speaking of Warhammer, the store in Harajuku (kind of a fashion hub in Tokyo located close to Shibuya) has a (relatively) huge English-speaking crowd. The store manager there is bilingual (and pretty cute) and manages a pretty active Line hub so there’s always a store presence, and there are a few brave Japanese players who also come out to test their English. We were chatting yesterday about official paint schemes and other minutia and one of them used this phrase: 「まさしく文殊の知恵」which translates into “Surely the Wisdom of Manjushri” (a Buddhist deity of transient knowledge). I thought he was doing the Japanese equivalent of what a lot of American players do by saying some sort of in-universe proverb like “The Emperor Protects” and so followed up with one of my own, but this is actually a real Buddhist proverb used in everyday speech! Despite my faux pax he was pretty tolerant and we had a good laugh as we continued our exchange.

It’s cool to wildly diverge in SE++ forum posts right? Unfortunately I just haven’t watched much anime... Ok that’s a total lie: there’s freakin anime everywhere here:

tkf1gs1mmrus.jpeg

I’m in Komatsu for the night at a conference. It’s a sleepy little town where the JASDF has their F-15 Weapon School; the Air Force’s version of Top Gun. I’ll write a whole post about it later, but there’s some interesting dynamics going on here. As my commander summarized, “The local population loves the jets but hates the noise. They beg for [more jets] to come here but do everything they can to keep them on the ground.” So of course one of the ways to raise popular opinion would be in associating popular anime with the JASDF base, which is what the above picture shows.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    KitKat flavors aren't the hotness for Japanese chocolate, anyway.

Now Royce Nama chocolate? That's the shit. It also costs 2x as much stateside.

• Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    Land of the Lustrous is absurdly good

I just finished episode 9 and I would die for every character in this show

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Beasteh wrote: »
    I love that this one opens by pulling a Escape to the House of Mummies from Venture Bros with a fake recap.

rhylith on
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    I got a korean grocery/market near me and they got all the kitkats. and curry crackers!

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    I finally started Boruto and it took me back 15 years

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    My son is also named Bort

• Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    Mysst wrote: »
    I got a korean grocery/market near me and they got all the kitkats. and curry crackers!

Curry crackers are amazing

So are salad crackers

Now I want crackers

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    I firmly missed, "the boat" as it were with Berserk, and even still, I find it to be a bit too extreme to re-read the more disturbing parts, but seeing
    Casca back and mostly sane with team Guts.

is already a way happier outcome than I ever would have assumed starting out with the story. It would be such a loss if the story were to go "mega" grimdark again. I'm sure some characters won't make it, but come on, have a heart.

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    THESPOOKY wrote: »

oh ho as if any of the lustrous will get the sweet embrace of death

• Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    re: kitkat flavors

the sake kitkat was very good
    now i want a sake that tastes like that kitkat

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I spent my sick time catching up on One Piece (anime not manga).

Cool stuff! Could have had more revelry info drops.

Now time to forget about it again for another year.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Does Light need to write Thor Odinson, or just Thor?

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Lucedes wrote: »

I'm like 80% certain that chocolate sake exists.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    I just realized that Vinland Saga is the first time I've ever had the privilege of having read all of the available manga before the anime adaptation started.

What a position this is to occupy.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Just watched an episode of Cannon Buster's and this show feels straight out of 2005 in a sort of Outlaw Star-meets-Eureka Seven sorta way eh

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Yeah I’m not sure how I feel about Cannon Busters.

I’ve only watched the first episode, but the action and comedic beats really feel off in some way.

• Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    Lucedes wrote: »

I'm like 80% certain that chocolate sake exists.

I will do my utmost to find this.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    berserk has really kept the emotional rollercoaster going huh

sometimes i forget how expressive miura can make faces and then he busts it out again and i'm like oh nooooooooooo

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    It took me 2 or 3 tries to actually get going with Berserk, the series definitely doesn't put its best foot forward to start.

But like goddamn, especially when it was at its prime it was incredible.

The whole Golden Age arc is fantastic. Lost Children and the Inquisition arcs still hold up.

That 2-part Serpico backstory flashback is maybe my favorite comics short story from anything

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Veldrin wrote: »
    Yeah I’m not sure how I feel about Cannon Busters.

I’ve only watched the first episode, but the action and comedic beats really feel off in some way.

It has no idea what to be.

Like it flips between waste land cowboy bebop hijinxand weird magic political drama.

I don't hate it but it needs to focus up

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    Gundi wrote: »
    THESPOOKY wrote: »

oh ho as if any of the lustrous will get the sweet embrace of death

LotL Spoilers
    yeah, no kidding

I have a really strong stomach for violence and body horror, but this show is so fucking creepy and unsettling in so many ways

The shot of Phos being disintegrated early on made my whole stomach flip over, which is not a sensation I've felt from watching...anything, in a long time. It just generally creeps me out constantly, in a way that I felt like I should've expected from Madoka, but never got.

The Lunarians are legit terrifying, and the whole...everything is just...fuck.

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    Lars wrote: »

He'd lie directly to God's face and claim he still had lives left and get sent back. He's done it before and he'd do it again.

But then God would point out, does he really want to get sent back on a Monday?

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    Peewi wrote: »
    hey if you change your name does the name you need written down in the death note to kill you change, or is the name you're given at birth magically extra special for no reason

and if it DOES change what about aliases that function as names like online handles

I'm uh... just curious for no reason, or maybe asking for a friend

I'd say whichever name the person most identifies with.

Because it enables the idea of a Death Note/Batman crossover where Light discovers Batman's identity, but writing Bruce Wayne doesn't kill him. Because his name is Batman.

I never knew how much I wanted to see Batman punch Light's face in until now

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Kelor wrote: »
    Lars wrote: »

But then God would point out, does he really want to get sent back on a Monday?

Garfield is his ninth life.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular

Depends, is Thor currently Thor? If Thor’s not Thor then writing Thor will kill Thor and not Thor Odinson. You get me?

Also, the actual reason I came to post was to share this:

• Options
    Lasbrook wrote: »

Depends, is Thor currently Thor? If Thor’s not Thor then writing Thor will kill Thor and not Thor Odinson. You get me?

Also, the actual reason I came to post was to share this:

it is upsetting how real this is

• Options
    lol

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    sup teets

• Options
    nm thinking about getting into anime