As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Spirited [Anime]

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    kami bless mexico

• Options
    ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    oh yeah, Beastars is Netflix, rip
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwgJBgrut5k

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    oh they're making an anime of zootopia? neat

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Guess we’ll see it in a thousand years

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    I'm watching Demon Slayer on this thread's recommendation.

Episode 7:
    I gotta say, I wasn't expecting the whole "villain who knows how to fix my sister whom all the demons are too terrified to talk about" thing to resolve with "oh, he's right over there, that's cool". :lol:

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    Since we were talking about adaptations, what's the worst adaptation of something you're familiar with that you've ever seen?

I'm thinking Umineko no Naku Koro Ni, for turning a visual novel that consumed my life for a while into an awful anime only notable for its cast and memes.

Thinking on it more. Two entire categories of bad adaptation come to mind.

Any of those anime where they adapted a yuri or yaoi series but reduced text to subtext or stuffed in a male protagonist, which was happening a lot a few years ago for no reason I can understand. Akuma no Riddle is a particularly bad example of this, since it was a near-panel-for-panel adaptation with the extremely obvious exception of romantic scenes or lines.

Incoherent ultra-compressed single-season advertisements for light novels/manga/games can be pretty bad too.

• Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    What was wrong with the Umineko anime? I heard it was bad but I don't know the details.

• Options
    Moth 13 wrote: »
    What was wrong with the Umineko anime? I heard it was bad but I don't know the details.

Compressed too much into too little time, basically. And lots of wrong or changed details that add up to problems for the mystery component of the thing.

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    the higurashi anime having garbage looking characters was, charitably, keeping in the spirit of the original, but i find it actually unwatchable, they made things so much worse

i can't recommend it to anyone

miscellaneousinsanity on
    uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Kupi wrote: »
    I'm watching Demon Slayer on this thread's recommendation.

Episode 7:
    I gotta say, I wasn't expecting the whole "villain who knows how to fix my sister whom all the demons are too terrified to talk about" thing to resolve with "oh, he's right over there, that's cool". :lol:
    Sometimes the Fuhrer President King Bradley gambit doesn't pay off

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Thinking on it, I think the biggest waste of an adaptation that I cared about were the Berserk movies.

Three full length, decent budget movies, just dedicated to the Golden Age arc, it really should've been dope. But their focus was all wrong, they included almost every single battle sequence from the manga (using kinda ugly, PS3-cutscene looking CG to be able to afford to animate all those battles), while excising a lot of the quiet character moments that actually matter to the story. Like the battles matter, sure, but you can mostly early-Game-of-Thrones them, just show them starting and then cut to the end. Yeah, Guts killed a bunch of dudes, again, we know. It's Guts, that's the thing he does.

They're not like, actively -bad-, but they're just so lacking in artistic vision, they're taking extremely good material and making it entirely mediocre.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Kamar wrote: »
    Since we were talking about adaptations, what's the worst adaptation of something you're familiar with that you've ever seen?

I'm thinking Umineko no Naku Koro Ni, for turning a visual novel that consumed my life for a while into an awful anime only notable for its cast and memes.

Thinking on it more. Two entire categories of bad adaptation come to mind.

Any of those anime where they adapted a yuri or yaoi series but reduced text to subtext or stuffed in a male protagonist, which was happening a lot a few years ago for no reason I can understand. Akuma no Riddle is a particularly bad example of this, since it was a near-panel-for-panel adaptation with the extremely obvious exception of romantic scenes or lines.

Incoherent ultra-compressed single-season advertisements for light novels/manga/games can be pretty bad too.

berserk 2016

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    the golden age movies were alright

maybe it's that i hold them in a little higher regard retroactively when stacked next to berserk '16

but their real saving grace was the banging soundtrack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mzc4mJNvvfc
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OG8GxzJTBck

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Berserk does have some good music, yeah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67gMPl4RBKY

Almost all of their albums have songs like this. Eventually they just gave up and made a full on tribute band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdlAZj5iDc8

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Kaguya 162
    Kaguya mindlessly blabbing away about how great kissing is is great... For everyone except Hayasaka.

4m7voceidx37.jpg

I'm impressed by the dedication to telling this whole smooching incident in reverse. We already had follow-up from this 10 chapters ago!

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    Are we talking about Berserk? Time to post the outtakes compilation!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YzHTt2Pns4

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    Kaguya 162
    Kaguya mindlessly blabbing away about how great kissing is is great... For everyone except Hayasaka.

4m7voceidx37.jpg

I'm impressed by the dedication to telling this whole smooching incident in reverse. We already had follow-up from this 10 chapters ago!

Omg that is so fluffy I’m going to die!

I need to check out this series yesterday

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    image0-200.png

• Options
    The fucking cat is back again, Ma

• Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    I still can't get over
    how glam Innosuke is under the mask.
    That was an impressive twist.

Also his "wha..." always makes me chuckle.

ntashlznei04.png

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I finished the first "season" of JoJo's.

Good stuff y'all...

I think I might start Legend of the Galactic Heroes, as a sort of solo-watch while my roommates & I progress slowly through Dragon Ball Z

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Legend of the Galactic Heroes is very good

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular

Compressed too much into too little time, basically. And lots of wrong or changed details that add up to problems for the mystery component of the thing.

It also never finished the story. It's only Chapters 1-4, the 'Question' arc. 'Answer' was never adapted(probably for the best, in many ways).

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    cj iwakura wrote: »

It also never finished the story. It's only Chapters 1-4, the 'Question' arc. 'Answer' was never adapted(probably for the best, in many ways).

Why, you think it would have been a further embarassment? Or that a general audience may have handled certain revelations poorly?

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Kaguya is killing me

Help

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Kaguya is killing me

Help

Should’ve gone for something easier than those shells.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Kaguya is killing me

Help

She just wants to be confessed to.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »

Why, you think it would have been a further embarassment? Or that a general audience may have handled certain revelations poorly?

Both.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    yuru yuri is good btw

tenor.gif

Beasteh on
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Thought about getting the first volume of How Heavy Are The Dumbbells You Lift, but after a quick GIS it looks way more lecherous than the anime, and I'm not sure I'm into that

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    it certainly has a lot of lewd poses

• Options
    yeah, it's very horny but also pretty wholesome

it's very horny though

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Oh yeah the manga just goes 'okay exercise explanations are all close-ups of sweaty girls with little to no clothing' I dunno how the anime handles them

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    I finished the first "season" of JoJo's.

Good stuff y'all...

I think I might start Legend of the Galactic Heroes, as a sort of solo-watch while my roommates & I progress slowly through Dragon Ball Z

Phantom Blood is good

but Battle Tendency has Joseph Joestar, the king of kings and maybe my favorite protagonist ever

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    JayKaos wrote: »
    Oh yeah the manga just goes 'okay exercise explanations are all close-ups of sweaty girls with little to no clothing' I dunno how the anime handles them

it's less overt, but yeah

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    yeah, it's very horny but also pretty wholesome

it's very horny though
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    JayKaos wrote: »

it's less overt, but yeah

That's the thing, in the show I can go "oh please" for a sec and shake my head, but the images from the manga I saw...yeah. It's a bit much. Which is a bummer, because I don't think it needs it

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
This discussion has been closed.