As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Overwatch: Echo Live

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Not that I care to report all that often in QP if at all but I would be happier being able to report a player for non-participation/deliberately contributing to the loss of the team than letting them up and leave the team at a disadvantage scot-free

Ed: Also yes, backfilling at the last minute feels like a complete waste of time when I generally end up queueing again for another few minutes right afterwards. XP is meaningless to me, I personally feel complete apathy when I "level up"

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • Options
    Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    That's a weird perspective to me (edit: Not wrong, just weird). XP/levels are the only form of progression this game even had, outside of Competitive, until Endorsements were released. I'll grant it isn't super exciting, especially now that I've got most stuff unlocked and loot boxes are mostly just currency. But if you don't care about XP, what is even the point of playing anymore (given the 3-4 fluttering bug with endorsements).

I do think it is weird you get so much XP even if you lose. It turns levels into essentially a form of playing time measurement, which is obviously not great. You get more for medals and the wonderful First Win of the Day bonus, but I think as a whole those don't make as much of an impact as you'd expect.

edit: Now that I think about it, "First Win of the Day" is a pretty decent motivator itself for me. I can have a terrible run, loss after loss, but then if I win one time and see the FWotD bonus, I will often nod at my computer in a satisfied, knowing way. Just, Yes. If nothing else, I'm quitting with a lot more XP than what I started with. It probably doesn't make a lot of rational sense, but that's how it works for me.

Monkey Ball Warrior on
    "I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    snip "But if you don't care about XP, what is even the point of playing anymore (given the 3-4 fluttering bug with endorsements)."
    I play to have fun? My fun comes from playing a shooter that pits two teams of characters against each other. When the teams are lopsided, whether by player count or skill, my enjoyment is impacted.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    My general loop is to play QP for warmup Into Competitive matches, which makes up the bulk of my enjoyment. It's indicative of Overwatch's mechanical enjoyability that I keep coming back to it even though its 'progression' is ultimately vestigial and pointless. Competitive is supposed to be the highest expression of those mechanics.

Though lately I get to the point where I play a few QP games and just log out afterwards.

• Options
    Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    Pailryder wrote: »
    snip "But if you don't care about XP, what is even the point of playing anymore (given the 3-4 fluttering bug with endorsements)."
    I play to have fun? My fun comes from playing a shooter that pits two teams of characters against each other. When the teams are lopsided, whether by player count or skill, my enjoyment is impacted.

I can kind of understand that... this is the sort of underlying fun, the journey instead of the destination. It helps me for there to *be* a destination (that next lootbox or star), even if it is kind of silly. I could, however, see how someone might not need that at all.

At the end, most games revolve around making a number or set of numbers on a server somewhere get larger. For this game, it is xp and level, along with SR if you play Comp.

I've played plenty of games that didn't have a built in goal, where I have to make one up. That also works for me.

Monkey Ball Warrior on
    "I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited September 2019
    I have come back to Overwatch after being fed up with Hunt Showdown for now.

It's devs must really, REALLY want crossplay, because they eliminated all weapon sway and character inertia, so PvP combat consists of murder-hobos doing the Widow ADAD Dance until someone lands a headshot (and it's always a headshot). All this because they don't think the Xbox community can stand on its own two feet...

I have a game where those mechanics are appropriate right here.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Queue times in general are way lower in QP.

Probably cause most people play QP.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Kasyn wrote: »
    Had some outrageous placement games, ended up at 3899.

I would occasionally (very seldom) get shit for picking Moira back in season 10 when I was playing last, when she wasn't quite meta. She's since been totally unchanged, except now I have to fight for her and the complaints are that she's brain dead. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I can understand this a little bit because Moira is relatively limited in where she applies her abilities (throw a bubble, heal /drain anything nearby, soft away sometimes), but she's still a support which means she's still doing more multi tasking than most characters in the other classes when she's being used well.

I'd wish for her ult to require more thought/skill, but I'd rather see some shield tuning first because of how good it makes her for putting damage through shields.

She's pretty odd in that she's both decent at dealing with shields (damage orb, her ult) but also very very hindered by them (it greatly limits her ability to recharge her healing 'ammo'). It's definitely not the toughest ult to pilot, for sure, but it's also not ridiculously threatening, either, and she's never more vulnerable than when she's ulting. (Which is particularly problematic because Sigma's rock toss seems to have the hitbox of pre-nerf Doomfist punches.)

The best thing about Moira is the Genjis that try to deflect.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Have to say the matches in QP are actually a lot tryhardier now that role queue is in.

They are also way less frustrating...funny how that works.

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Had some outrageous placement games, ended up at 3899.

I would occasionally (very seldom) get shit for picking Moira back in season 10 when I was playing last, when she wasn't quite meta. She's since been totally unchanged, except now I have to fight for her and the complaints are that she's brain dead. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I can understand this a little bit because Moira is relatively limited in where she applies her abilities (throw a bubble, heal /drain anything nearby, soft away sometimes), but she's still a support which means she's still doing more multi tasking than most characters in the other classes when she's being used well.

I'd wish for her ult to require more thought/skill, but I'd rather see some shield tuning first because of how good it makes her for putting damage through shields.

She's pretty odd in that she's both decent at dealing with shields (damage orb, her ult) but also very very hindered by them (it greatly limits her ability to recharge her healing 'ammo'). It's definitely not the toughest ult to pilot, for sure, but it's also not ridiculously threatening, either, and she's never more vulnerable than when she's ulting. (Which is particularly problematic because Sigma's rock toss seems to have the hitbox of pre-nerf Doomfist punches.)

The best thing about Moira is the Genjis that try to deflect.

On the rare occasion that I play Genji, if I try to deflect a beam, it's usually a last resort to block any extra damage from other enemies while I hope for healing or something.

• Options
    edited September 2019
    Edit: The hell...might have to change my password.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Have to say the matches in QP are actually a lot tryhardier now that role queue is in.

But is it more fun?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Queue times in general are way lower in QP.

Probably cause most people play QP.

And I would also assume that the range of matchmaking is probably a little more lax than comp, so the pool is widened even farther (just a guess, no idea if that's true)

• Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular

? So Russia?

What happened?

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    Chance wrote: »

? So Russia?

What happened?

Dunno. Like I literally wasn't on my account or phone at that time.

• Options

? So Russia?

What happened?

Dunno. Like I literally wasn't on my account or phone at that time.

That is fucking creepy.

• Options
    It's cool...I hope.
    McMoogle wrote: »

But is it more fun?

Yeah. Not having to play through 5-10 minutes of people throwing with quad DPS is great.

I mean you still have throwers but at least now you know they're just bad and it isn't always bad team comp.

• Options
    Bad comps still totally happen. I had a team last night in which both tanks were dive, both DPS were dive, and our supports went Ana and Bap.

Like wtf do you think you're gonna' do when your tanks land on the other side of that Orisa Sig combo? And I'll admit I'm pretty sick of losing games and having the opportunity to vote for our Moira's elims card at the end.

A lot of bad supports lately, to be honest - and you never know at the start of the map. Sometimes this Ana is an absolute Godsend and she'll never let you die, other times she's trying to snipe the Widow and ignoring the Ashe begging for heals.

• Options
    edited September 2019
    That's why I said not always.

I've had a few bad tank and support combos.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    In QP bad comps are to be expected, people go on there to play specific heroes they want to practice a lot of the time. The best thing you can do about it is to pick around their hero choices.

• Options
    mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Bad comps still totally happen. I had a team last night in which both tanks were dive, both DPS were dive, and our supports went Ana and Bap.

Like wtf do you think you're gonna' do when your tanks land on the other side of that Orisa Sig combo? And I'll admit I'm pretty sick of losing games and having the opportunity to vote for our Moira's elims card at the end.

A lot of bad supports lately, to be honest - and you never know at the start of the map. Sometimes this Ana is an absolute Godsend and she'll never let you die, other times she's trying to snipe the Widow and ignoring the Ashe begging for heals.

Sometimes your Ana is just missing all their shots because reasons and swaps to Mercy because flying around is easier *cough*

• Options

Sometimes your Ana is just missing all their shots because reasons and swaps to Mercy because flying around is easier *cough*

Yeahhh and I get that if I wanted to practice my Ana I'd do it in QP, but I'm not gonna' pick her when we're running Winston, Ham, Tracer and Genji lol.

• Options
    edited September 2019
    Just trying to unpack all that, by "not dive" you mean Ana and Baptiste have poor mobility? And because the others have high mobility, they wouldn't be able to keep up and heal?

I don't really spend a lot of time considering how different heroes speeds interact with each other in this way. Other than the occasional "How am I the only one on the cart, Mei is literally the slowest hero in the game" when folks are goofing off somewhere and not playing the objective.

It is like trying to figure out when to retreat on offense. Certainly an area where I could improve.

edit: Does Pharah qualify as dive? As in, if a team says something in voip like "lets dive" then switching from Mei to Pharah would be an appropriate response?

Monkey Ball Warrior on
  • Options
    It's less about their speed to me than

1. trying to hit the most-mobile tanks in the game.
    2. trying to hit the two most-mobile DPS in the game.
    3. neither Ham nor Winston really create the type of space Anas and Baps need to safely operate in.

but for me the big reason is

4. because both the DPS and tanks will execute attacks by leaping behind enemy shields, thus ensuring they can't be healed by Ana or Bap at all.

I don't mind an Ana or a Bap supporting a dive comp, but let the other support be a Mercy, Lucio or Zen at least. Having shields deny both your healers on a comp designed to get behind shields is... silly.

(Slams fist on desk!)

It's silly!

Now that said, if these two last night had turned out to be Superhealers - or even if one of them had been it's unlikely I would be bitching about it today. And yet I am. Because we got no heals and lost. And I'm happier to blame the comp than the players.

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    It's more about range/durability than speed. Dive heroes are going to play aggressively and they want their team to play aggressively with them for maximum effect. That means you need to be able to operate well at close range without dying. Otherwise your supports are too far away from their teammates, and can easily be separated or ganked.

• Options
    I don't heal much... I may never heal or tank again now that 222 is here. I had not considered how enemy shields might negatively impact healing if your team is making a big push. I should probably try to make a point if I have these kind of LoS healers to stay away from enemy shields.

• Options
    mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    It's really easy to get tunnel vision when you're chasing a kill, so as a support I generally try to take it upon myself to tell my team when they break LoS (in comp anyway, odds of having voice in QP is pretty low), but it goes much better if the players are self aware as well. But also as a support player, the most frustrating thing is when your genji dashes -> blades -> behind the Orisa shield -> dies -> "Y NO HEALING OMG". Like, dude, work with me here, please try to be aware that no one will be nearby to support you if you don't call that first.

• Options
    soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    I placed about 2430 with my tank, 2130 with my heals and I'm now sub-2000 on dps. I still like 2/2/2, but leavers seem to backfill slower (although I was playing in the middle of the night last night). I'm still surprised I'm doing that well as tank.

I feel like the net result is I'm still not going to be getting much dps practice time in. Before, I would grudgingly pick heals/tank because no one else would. Now, I don't think I love dps enough for 9 min queues so I probably won't bother.

• Options
    soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited September 2019
    It's really easy to get tunnel vision when you're chasing a kill, so as a support I generally try to take it upon myself to tell my team when they break LoS (in comp anyway, odds of having voice in QP is pretty low), but it goes much better if the players are self aware as well. But also as a support player, the most frustrating thing is when your genji dashes -> blades -> behind the Orisa shield -> dies -> "Y NO HEALING OMG". Like, dude, work with me here, please try to be aware that no one will be nearby to support you if you don't call that first.

I had a genji last nights in my placements that kept doing this. Charging in solo, getting into fights well out of LoS, spamming "I need healing" like he's mad actually every damn time he quite predictably died ... fun! My favorite is when both healers get flanked right away, no one peels for us, and then come the "I need healing!" emotes as the rest of them are picked apart. If you think healing is valuable, maybe you should act like it and protect them!

I need a "you don't know what you got, 'til it's gooone." emote.

soylenth on
  • Options
    sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular
    soylenth wrote: »

I had a genji last nights in my placements that kept doing this. Charging in solo, getting into fights well out of LoS, spamming "I need healing" like he's mad actually every damn time he quite predictably died ... fun! My favorite is when both healers get flanked right away, no one peels for us, and then come the "I need healing!" emotes as the rest of them are picked apart. If you think healing is valuable, maybe you should act like it and protect them!

I need a "you don't know what you got, 'til it's gooone." emote.

You’d be amazed at how many games I win as dps simply because I peel for my supports and the other team does not.

You’d be amazed at how many games I lose as support because the other team peels for its supports and mine does not.

• Options
    Often the one that peels for the support most is the other support, in my experience.

First 2 games of the night, queued for all 3 roles. First game we have a Hog and a D.Va on King's Row attack so I go Ana and it's amazing and I ult like 3 times and every time I don't even call it out I just whap Tracer with it at an opportune moment and whip a grenade into the reds and we'd clean house. 2nd, go Orisa on Gibraltar defense with a Moira and Mercy healing (Moira gets the killstreak card, Mercy was very helpful). We hold under the jet wing Vs. a Sigma, Hog and Doomfist that blew us off the first point easily. Our Mei's freezes were plentiful and my aim was on point.

Shot an ulting McCree out of the air when our Sig ulted him it was wicked.

Good games so far.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edit: Does Pharah qualify as dive? As in, if a team says something in voip like "lets dive" then switching from Mei to Pharah would be an appropriate response?

To answer this specifically, Pharah isn't really dive because although she does have the ability to quickly move forward with concussive blast, she doesn't really want to get too close to the enemy if she can help it anyway, and her blast has such a long cooldown that she doesn't really have a reliable way to escape if things go south. She's more of a mid-to-long-range poke/spam option, and does best against a team with short-range damage dealers where she can stay in the air out of their range and spam them down.

• Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular

To answer this specifically, Pharah isn't really dive because although she does have the ability to quickly move forward with concussive blast, she doesn't really want to get too close to the enemy if she can help it anyway, and her blast has such a long cooldown that she doesn't really have a reliable way to escape if things go south. She's more of a mid-to-long-range poke/spam option, and does best against a team with short-range damage dealers where she can stay in the air out of their range and spam them down.

That's not really true. Pharah is more effective when she dives a support and two shots them than throwing spam damage at range where it can just be dodged. It's more dangerous but in a dive comp you shouldn't need to escape, you just go in and kill the enemy team.

Mei can also dive though. She doesn't really need a shield tank to walk up to the enemy team.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Been running Sigma now that the plague of shiny-new has worn off of him in Comp, and I think my favorite part about playing him is having that rebound shot. Those shots freaking hurt, and people just don't ever seem to expect that you will happily bounce them around a corner until you find them. Also love bouncing it around shields; even just with splash damage, that can add up to a lot of damage if everybody is piled up behind an Orissa shield.

And one of my personal peeves in the game is enemies getting away after you've solidly got them, so I love being able to send that damage around the corner for that last little splash of finishing damage. Also great for putting some hurt on the massively over-represented Reaper around a corner before he can charge in with his insane damage/healing combo; Reapers are plenty happy to dive in when they've got full health, but they're a lot less aggressive when you've knocked a chunk off before they can jump on somebody.

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    HamHamJ wrote: »

That's not really true. Pharah is more effective when she dives a support and two shots them than throwing spam damage at range where it can just be dodged. It's more dangerous but in a dive comp you shouldn't need to escape, you just go in and kill the enemy team.

Mei can also dive though. She doesn't really need a shield tank to walk up to the enemy team.

If Pharah's close enough to do that, she's close enough for the enemy team to do that to her. She doesn't have the consistent, quick movement that Tracer, Genji, and Doomfist have. She wants to get in close sometimes, but that's after the rest of her team has already engaged and she spots someone who's isolated or she has her ult and she can safely (well, "safely") drop on top of the enemy team. Otherwise, she should be way up in the air, spamming rockets to weaken everyone for the rest of her team.

Also, Mei simply doesn't have the mobility to dive. If all it took to dive was the ability to walk up to the enemy team, Rein would be the main tank of choice rather than Winston or Hammond. Dive is about several people suddenly collapsing on a single target in the back line.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    I don't have confidence in Spark to beat Dynasty but it would be wrong for our brave weebs to be the first ones to go home....

• Options
    sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    I don't have confidence in Spark to beat Dynasty but it would be wrong for our brave weebs to be the first ones to go home....

The post-match interviews with Ryujehong and Tobi were sad but also humanizing. Those guys care so much. Hopefully, fans will lift them up and the human element can help build the viewership.

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I suppose I could watch more OWL.

But then I wouldn't be playing.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Went 5 and 0 in DPS placements one-tricking Tracer, only placed 100 higher than I left off last season >.< brutal.