Options

Someone oughtta ooopen up a [chat] thread

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    it is a weird thing that when i read about horrible things that people, usually men, do i am like

dang all those things are so absurdly horrible that i cannot imagine being the type of person that would do things like that
    but you look at the stats and are like whoa it is pervasive
    people are capable of really bad things

and then there's that fear of like, what horrible thing would need to happen for me to become a truly bad person and do horrible things to other people or something?

u kno?????????? because it's so absurd and bad that it's unbelievable but it's so widespread

poo
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    my favorites are fictional characters in fire emblem, they'll never turn out to be secretly racist
    *bites knuckle, tries not to cry*

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Ilpala wrote: »
    Honk wrote: »
    Do you pour the milk into the ocean before the tea?

And was it consensual?

It's oat milk, but the ocean said no.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    Oh dear, my first ever chat thread and just when I went to have dinner with my brother and sister.

Not like I had anything prepared but I do have a plan for something to have prepared now that I know other people than Chanus can make threads sometimes, when the stars are right

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    redx wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »

And was it consensual?

From now on I'll only drink milk with CONSENSUAL printed on the side in large red block letters

You get that only humans can consent to things?

Corporations also

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    basically

how are so many people so bad

poo
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular

And was it consensual?

From now on I'll only drink milk with CONSENSUAL printed on the side in large red block letters

Even then, can consent meaningfully be divorced from our environment and our upbringing

Is our existence not a constant state of duress?! THIS WHOLE COURT IS OUT OF ORDER

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    What happens if you have sex with a corporation that has been incorporated for less than 18 years?

• Options
    Eddy wrote: »

And was it consensual?

Even then, can consent meaningfully be divorced from our environment and our upbringing

Is our existence not a constant state of duress?! THIS WHOLE COURT IS OUT OF ORDER

I never consented to having sexual desire to begin with

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    basically

they're not!

because the internet is a megaphone and you hear about them

90% of people continue to be fine, 99% do not have any critical failures

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Going through my entire kitchen tonight writing CONSENSUAL or EXPLOITATIVE on all thebfood with a sharpie

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular

And was it consensual?

Judge: *banging gavel with one hand, chugging cons-milk with the other*

• Options
    edited August 2019
    What are people's fantasy recommendations for books - not scifi, you jackbooted futurist thugs

Eddy on
  • Options

And was it consensual?

I never consented to having sexual desire to begin with

Okay so first of all the term is actually ephebocapitalism,

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    What happens if you have sex with a corporation that has been incorporated for less than 18 years?

Pretty sure the law allows corporations to fuck who and whatever they want regardless of the age of the corporation.

Because, actually, they are 5000 year old demons.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Rexplosive
    Rordinance
    Rdisposal

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    it is a weird thing that when i read about horrible things that people, usually men, do i am like

dang all those things are so absurdly horrible that i cannot imagine being the type of person that would do things like that

and then there's that fear of like, what horrible thing would need to happen for me to become a truly bad person and do horrible things to other people or something?

u kno?????????? because it's so absurd and bad that it's unbelievable but it's so widespread

I don't think it's too likely to suddenly end up being terrible without noticing the path there in due time. There's environmental factors like we're all probably primed to be a basic level of shitbag being male and raised in a culture that has been what it is you know.

For the people who do truly heinous shit though it seems like having head-trauma as a toddler is pretty key. Not every male who suffered head trauma as a toddler becomes a serial killer, but all serial killers suffered head trauma as a toddler.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    What are people's fantasy recommendations for books - not scifi, you fucking futurist thugs

I'm enjoying Broken Earth so far

A world doomed and not yet aware of it by terrible geological cataclysm, the supernaturally powerful hated and oppressed or else pressed into dehumanizing service, interesting speculative cultural and anthropological structures

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Going through my entire kitchen tonight writing CONSENSUAL or EXPLOITATIVE on all thebfood with a sharpie

Bread crumbs are CANCELED

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    visual proof that animals can consent to things

consenting cat

0MQMFAP.jpg?1

non-consenting cat

ajdnGaA.jpg

wandering on
  • Options
    Kamiro wrote: »
    basically

they're not!

because the internet is a megaphone and you hear about them

90% of people continue to be fine, 99% do not have any critical failures

So you're saying 75 million people are terrible?

The horror! What if they all banded together?

It would form the Republican party?

• Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    What are people's fantasy recommendations for books - not scifi, you jackbooted futurist thugs

hm yes, as I thought I have brought shame on this house

i will go into the desert with only a glass of water and a knife, to spare the tribe my burden

• Options
    A month from now someone’s going to post in [chat] “I almost ran out of milk for my cereal” and they’ll be super confused by the three pages of eod-style “BUT WAS IT CONSENSUAL??” that follows

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular

kushiel's dart

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    I would maybe try some of Ursula Le Guin's fantasy?

I have a few friends who swear by Earthsea.

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    I'm kind of worried about defusing patriarchy without sitting every 8 year old boy down and going you will milkshake duck if not for grace of God strict vigilance and call out culture

just a little latent atrocity machine, aren't you

SummaryJudgment on
    Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    Half a pizza is 1200 to 1300, totally fine.

The challenge is not eating the whole pizza obv

Half a pizza can't only be 1200ish calories, that sounds crazy

Why, I ought to eat a pizza every day if this is true......

1200 is a lot! That's over half a day's calories for a large man!

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular

what if you're bad and you just don't notice

• Options
    edited August 2019

Eddy

do me a solid and go read This is How You Lose the Time War

call it fantasy and not sci-fi if that pulls it out of the genre ghetto - its authors are fantasy authors in their other work

a little VanderMeer / Atwood sleight of hand

SummaryJudgment on
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Half a pizza is 1200 to 1300, totally fine.

The challenge is not eating the whole pizza obv

Half a pizza can't only be 1200ish calories, that sounds crazy

Why, I ought to eat a pizza every day if this is true......

1200 is a lot! That's over half a day's calories for a large man!
    obviously I would use my honed self control skills to just eat the calorically correct amount of pizza when I'm eating pizza at every meal
    duh doy

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    Also, Winky, Control is very SCP

I feel you need to know

The text you find is heavily redacted and clearly influenced by SCP, the weirdness + humour is very similar, the whole premise is a massive Keter-level containment breach from what I can tell

(and it seems to be a memetic hazard)

The way your character is kind of an ad hoc supernatural operative with some hacked together abilities from various anomalous sources feels very SCP Tales as well

At one point I found a containment chamber that contained a single jukebox in an empty room. I couldn't get in, which was probably for the best.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    people are bad
    society is an engine of suffering

hth

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular

@eddy Semi-comprehensive rec list based on books I can see without walking to the other room:

The Lies of Locke Lamora
    Sabriel
    The Magicians
    The Goblin Emperor
    The Traitor Baru Cormorant
    Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell
    Wild Seed
    Deathless
    Every book ever written by Robin McKinley before ~2008
    The golden compass
    The Chronicles of Chrestomanci

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    Max Gladstone and Amal El-Mohtar

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular

I feel you need to know

The text you find is heavily redacted and clearly influenced by SCP, the weirdness + humour is very similar, the whole premise is a massive Keter-level containment breach from what I can tell

The way your character is kind of an ad hoc supernatural operative with some hacked together abilities from various anomalous sources feels very SCP Tales as well

At one point I found a containment chamber that contained a single jukebox in an empty room. I couldn't get in, which was probably for the best.

Wait, is Control out already? Fuck me this year's flying by.

• Options
    My monthly Audible Credit just went to The Fifth Season

Though I realize I still have the Quantum Thief to listen to

• Options
    My monthly Audible Credit just went to The Fifth Season

Though I realize I still have the Quantum Thief to listen to

Rajaniemi is good stuff

you'll love the third book especially but I forsee some excited chat posting from you as you get into the series

• Options

I feel you need to know

God fucking dammit

Now I have to buy another video game

Jesus christ

• Options

Eddy

call it fantasy and not sci-fi if that pulls it out of the genre ghetto - its authors are fantasy authors in their other work

I love scifi but I'm looking for fantasy recs specifically for a reason none of u need to no

• Options

Eddy

I love scifi but I'm looking for fantasy recs specifically for a reason none of u need to no

Eddy this is a safe space you can open up about your monarchism

This discussion has been closed.